PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use online brokerage sites?

joshdacane
07-02-2007, 01:18 PM
If you guys have seen my (few) posts, I'm just getting started at this game. Sometime in the next few months, probably the beginning of next year after the market has settled a bit, I'm going to get into my own outside investments. I assume at the level I am at (starting the first few years out of college) I likely won't be at the point where I need a financial adviser (unless you know of someone cheap and good in the DC area who might work with young guys like me).

Any recommendations on any of the online discount brokers? I won't be daytrading or anything, but I'm also likely not to just be in mutual funds that sit there for 15 years.

Spaf
07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I likely won't be at the point where I need a financial adviser (unless you know of someone cheap and good in the DC area who might work with young guys like me).

Josh, (MHO) U need to be your own financial advisor! Who better to look out for your assets!......:D

Any recommendations on any of the online discount brokers? I won't be daytrading or anything, but I'm also likely not to just be in mutual funds that sit there for 15 years.

Pick a name brand internet broker! Great for tax paid accounts! Mutual fund managers don't like to see trading.

I feel you need a minimum of 3 accounts:
1. tax deferred i.e., TSP
2. tax paid i.e., a good internet broker.
3. an Emergency fund (money market, savings, etc.) with a min. of 10K.

Show-me
07-02-2007, 06:35 PM
On-line brokers are a dime a dozen and I don't know which is the "best". I use Scottrade.