Spaf
07-01-2007, 11:57 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
July 2007 Edition
Sunday July 01, 2007

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Spaf/Frog.gif

Yak, Le Charts, Doodles, Tea Leaves, The Tin Box and The Lilly Pad

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.....................................July is generally the best month of the third quarter. Reportedly a lot of new retirement funds starts the 2nd half of the year. However, currently the moving averages are lower. S&P 500 [$SPX] is trading below it's 13 day moving average. Yet the stochastics oscillator has bounced off of being oversold and is registering a strong bullish signal.

The problem is that we established a new lower high and we could be headed for a trading range. Maybe 1540 to 1490.

A retirement allocation in the range of L-2010 or L-Income appears to be a safe position bet. Higher than L-2010 could require some swing trades if the trading range stays around for the summer. Also, keep an eye on the price of crude oil. When it starts getting pricey, we all know what can happen!

Our current stops are broken. Hopefully we can get them re-established if the July returns hold up.....:)

Le Charts
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Spaf/SP062907.gif
Charts courtesy of www.StockCharts.com (http://www.StockCharts.com)

Doodles:
Stops............................................. ..Alert (-1%).....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX....1503.35 +0.79 for the week....X1524............X1509

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at..............70.68 +1.54 for the week ending...NYMEX (http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html)
Oil Markers................................<60= ok, 60-70= worry, >70= panic.

Tea Leaves:
Yakndoodles...............................Be prepared for some swing trades.

Tin Box.
TSP (week ending)........G=11.99..F=11.26..C=16.78..S=20.56. .I=24.66
....(end of 2006)...........G=11.71..F=11.14..C=15.69..S=18.76 ..I=22.22

The Lilly Pad
Location....................................30%-G, 00%-F, 30%-C, 20%-S, 20%-I.

Spaf
07-04-2007, 12:23 AM
The Retirement Kingdom
July 2007 Edition
Tuesday July 03, 2007

Yak.................Might have noticed: Going back to a conservative allocation of 60% G, 20% C, 10% S, and 10% I.

2007 so far so good!.......:D........Regards and be careful!

Spaf
07-08-2007, 03:13 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
July 2007 Edition
Sunday July 08, 2007

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.....................................The bullish trend continues with the 13 day moving average above the 50d MA. Pricing is within the bollinger bands, but getting close to the top.

A bit of caution, the stochastics oscillator is registering bullish with &#37;K over %D, but closing in on the critical value of 80 (over bought); above which upward momentum will be difficult to sustain. Also keep an eye on the price of crude, up over $2 last week.

Currently at 60% cash and 40% equities

Le Charts
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Spaf/SP070607.gif

Doodles:
Stops............................................. ....Alert (-1%)....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX....1530.44 +27.09 for the week....1524.............1509

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at..............72.81 +2.13 for the week ending...NYMEX (http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html)
Oil Markers................................<65= ok, 65-75= worry, >75= panic.

Tea Leaves:
Yakndoodles...............................Hold.

Tin Box.
TSP (week ending)........G=12.00..F=11.19..C=17.10..S=21.05. .I=25.07

The Lilly Pad
Location....................................60%-G, 00%-F, 20%-C, 10%-S, 10%-I.

Oh my gosh! Hold on to your Lilly Pad!....:D

Birchtree
07-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Your Le Charts is so pretty - thanks for posting. Can you lend me some of that excess G money?

Spaf
07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi ya Birch!

The dang market is like a dog and coon chase. When the dog gets to close the coon runs up a tree and we get a pullback!

I'd lend U some but your mattress is already over stuffed!.....:laugh:

Your Le Charts is so pretty - thanks for posting. Can you lend me some of that excess G money?

Birchtree
07-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Talk about a coon hunt - Tim Wood is still looking for his 4 year low. I posted an article on the Dow Theory in the bullpen. I think retirement for me is on the horizon - I need much more investment time and a better circadian rythm pattern.

Spaf
07-10-2007, 12:40 AM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 09, 2007

Yak, Doodles, Tea Leaves, and The Lilly Pad.

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.......................................The market remains bullish, but prices are inching higher into overbought conditions. Trading is near the top of the Bollinger Bands.

Doodles:
Stops.......................................Alert (-1&#37;)....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX........1531.85 +1.41..........1524............1509

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at...............72.19 -0.62 for the day.
Oil Markers.................................<65= ok, 65-75= worry, >75= panic.

Tea Leaves:
Yakndoodles...............................Tenitive fold to 100% G-Fund. Capital Preservation.

The Lilly Pad
Location....................................60%-G, 00%-F, 20%-C, 10%-S, 10%-I.

Spaf
07-15-2007, 12:26 AM
The Retirement Kingdom
July 2007 Edition
Sunday July 15, 2007

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.....................................Last week we had a major match between the bulls and the bears. The bears pulled a large decline on Tuesday, but the Bulls held their ground and took the offensive for the rest of the week.

Sorry, but war games are in my past! Rather sit on the pad for this one; too risky! Small losses won't hurt you much, but large losses will.

We still have our bullish trend with pricing above the 13d MA. But trading with [SPX] above the upper Bollinger Bands is overextended and a pause or retracement can be expected. The Stochastics Oscillator is over 80 indicating that stocks are over bought.

Will be staying at 100% G-fund for TSP, [and a cautious 60%/40% for trading funds].

Le Charts
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Spaf/SP071307.gif

Doodles:
Stops............................................. ....Alert (-1%)....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX....1552.50 +22.06 for the week....1537.............1522

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at..............73.93 +1.12 for the week ending...NYMEX (http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html)
Oil Markers................................<65= ok, 65-75= worry, >75= panic.

Tea Leaves:

Tin Box.
TSP (week ending)........G=12.02..F=11.24..C=17.34..S=21.21. .I=25.43

The Lilly Pad
Location....................................100%-G.

Spaf
07-16-2007, 12:27 AM
How to approach retirement!

You have to have a plan and you have to monitor it. Way down the road!

You need an accountant for advice on what should be paid an what to keep i.e., a minimal home mortgage is good for itemizing, reason being Ur going to have medical expenses.

Figure out your living expences for your retirement.

Figure out your income after retirement.
Social Security + Civil Service + TSP + any other income.

If you chose TSP withdrawls, the annual withdrawl should not exceed 4% if you want to hold the principal. You need to have TSP gains of about 7% (4% + inflation (3%)). The TSP account should have a cushion on it of roughly 10%.

In 2006 the G-fund = 4.93%, L-Inc. = 7.59%, and L-2010 = 11.09%.

In a Bull market an allocation modeled after the L-funds could be in the range of 60% cash and 40% equities.

In a Bear market an alocation of 100% G-fund would preserve the principal and still give a reasonable gain.

Age and trading: the more rewards you have, the less risk you want. TSP is a retirement account. The 1-2 day IFT's can do some damage in a volatile market. If you buy-an-hold knowing how to duck a Bear market is to your advantage.

All investors can look back and see mistakes. Quarterbacking is easy to do. The principle rule though is "Don't let small losses turn into big losses".

The biggest issue is to have a plan and monitor it. 30 years out, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0.

Spaf
07-16-2007, 11:32 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 16, 2007

Well the trader account topped out today so we sold off the equities, and went back to cash.

Basically we had 3 trades today selling [IVV], [IJR], and [EFA].

It's to risky in these overbought conditions!

Currently 99.6&#37; cash and 00.4% precious metals.

Regards
And be careful.......:)
Spaf

Spaf
07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 18, 2007

Le Funds

G-fund is chugging along. Should get a penny pretty soon!

F-fund is moving sideways, kind of range bound, but then interest rates are still high.

C-fund is very overbought. Not a good buy. Probably a little consolidation is needed.

S-fund is very overbought. Not a good buy. Probably a little range bound; caution!

I-fund is approching the oversold area, and has a may have a buy potential.

$USD is very oversold and seems to be languishing at the bottom of the pond.

Spaf
07-20-2007, 12:40 AM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 19, 2007

Parked TSP in the G-fund, and put the internet broker funds into cash. The market charts are showing US equities to be overbought. However, [EFA] has been consolidating and is approching oversold area. Humm! The [$USD] is in the tank. Maybe still breathing?

November, December, January, March and April are the top investing months so there is no reservation about sitting on the lilly pad.

Besides I can't find the boat ramps, they are still underwater. So I sit on the "Lilly Pad" (boat's name) and the neighbors come over and we mix up margaritas!

Later
Spaf

Callme_CO
07-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Margaritas!!! sure could use one of those...or two...or three.

Spaf
07-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Margaritas

[frozen]

How to, simply!

http://www.luxco.com/public/brands/brands.asp?brandid=41

http://www.backtobasicsproducts.com/pages/products/iceTreats.php

plus salt and a lime.....Wala!.....:nuts:

Wethammer
07-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey Spaf, I'm new to the forum, retirement and loving it too. Where would I go to get an answer about beginning withdrawals? I just read in the TSP book under withdrawal deadlines and it says I have to begin withdrawing the year following the year I become 70.5, or the year following the year I separate from the Fed service. What if I'm only 57 at retirement? If I draw before 59.5, don't I get whacked? Thanks for any assistance you can send my way.

Spaf
07-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey Spaf, I'm new to the forum, retirement and loving it too. Where would I go to get an answer about beginning withdrawals? I just read in the TSP book under withdrawal deadlines and it says I have to begin withdrawing the year following the year I become 70.5, or the year following the year I separate from the Fed service. What if I'm only 57 at retirement? If I draw before 59.5, don't I get whacked? Thanks for any assistance you can send my way.

You need to go to TSP.gov "GETTING YOUR MONEY OUT AFTER YOU SEPERATE" download it.
Also download a TSP-70 form.
NOW!
Also TSP-536 Important Tax Information.......
Read the information! Do not take drinks or drive till U understand it....:D

Wethammer
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh GREAT!!! Thanks sooo much for your quick reply. I've got a very bad feeling about the NOW in your post. I've read the section on withdrawals but to me, it's as clear as mud. I left my money in TSP and it's grown quite well but no one told me I had to withdraw it until I was 70.5 and if I did withdraw before I was 59.5, I'd get hammered with penalties. The TSP pamphlet about Withdrawing Your TSP After Retirement says I should have done it earlier or I forfeit all of it to TSP, or at least the earnings. Sure hope I'm wrong. I was under the impression, (and my personnel officer never said anything about it either), that I could leave my money in TSP after I retired, let it grow, and start to draw it out before I turned 70.5. I was a Fed Agent so our retirement was mandatory at 57 years of age. I retired 11/01 but came back as a Rehired Annuitant in 2002-2004.

Please, please tell me I'm OK, and thanks for your wisdom and promptness.

Spaf
07-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Call TSP and talk to them. Get it straight from the horses mouth. I've talked to them several times. They are nice and very knowledgeable. <>877-968-3778<>

The reason I'm a bit upset is---> Within the first year of federal employment an employee should recieve TSP training and be given a packet with all the TSP information. Then, every 2-3 years a TSP monitor should set up shop in the "Federal Building" and give a update and personal sessions. And would it be too much to ask for an annual brochure of what is going on! If Social Security can send me one, why can't TSP?

Ok! I'll get down off my soap box!.......http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/1106.gif

nnuut
07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
You have a point, I have never seen a retirement plan that keeps the Members in the dark like the TSP. You think it's bad now, think about when it first started, it was a secret I think?:o

Spaf
07-22-2007, 01:02 PM
TSP = thrift savings plan. But it's not, it's an investment portfolio! Like a IRA.

OK it started out with the G-fund, thats a saving fund. But the G-fund is not a great fund for growth. Federal employees have good pay but many are not IMHO able to go much over the 5% contribution.

CSRS was a great system. But I think some folks thought it was costing too much. So the FERS system was developed. But it was poorly executed!
Remember...all the supervisors and managers were CSRS.

When more [FERS] managers get in place, the system will get changed! And folks will stop being treated like mushrooms! MHO!

Aviator_Guy
07-22-2007, 01:56 PM
You have a point, I have never seen a retirement plan that keeps the Members in the dark like the TSP. You think it's bad now, think about when it first started, it was a secret I think?:o

I joined Fed Civil service back in 1985, and at that time we were in flux on having a specific fed retirement system. We didn’t have CSRS or FERS. When they decided to go with the FERS, I had many questions, but few intelligent answers. Almost all of my CSRS co-workers kept bragging about retiring with their “high three” 80% of their base pay. Most of the old timers told the new fed workers we had a really bad retirement plan. Fortunately for me, I had a good friend (non-fed worker) who understood investing and took his advice about maximizing my contributions and letting it ride in stocks. I took his advice and ran with it.

My agency offers TSP seminars, but they only allow fed workers who are within five years of their retirement date to attend!!!! The time you need good investment advice is when you start TSP and no one seems to grasps that concept. Anyway, the official TSP website (www.tsp.gov (http://www.tsp.gov/)) offers some great downloads, but I personally prefer face to face training. Good luck with your personal TSP investment plan.:cool:

Wethammer
07-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Man.....I've got a real baaaad feeling about this. Thanks for posting TSP's phone number. We, (Border Patrol mushrooms) weren't told anything about having to withdraw $$ from TSP. They said, "just keep it in there and watch it grow." Well, that's what I did and it's grown quite respectfully. Now I'll probably have to forfeit a large chunk. Darn!!!

Thanks for being there. I'll definitely be here more often.

Spaf
07-22-2007, 02:45 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
July 2007 Edition
Sunday July 22, 2007

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.....................................Things are getting a bit volatile! Some of the earnings were disappointing. Pricing closed below the 13 day moving average which could mean a possible bearish trend. As a trend develops the Bollinger bands tend to get wider. The Stochastics oscillator was registering a bearish signal with &#37;K under %D, however it was no longer in the overbought range (above 80).

Will be staying at 100% G-fund for a better signal. All trading funds have been returned to cash.

Le Charts
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Spaf/SP072007.gif

Doodles:
Stops............................................. .....Alert (-1%)....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX....1534.10 -18.40 for the week....X1537.............1522

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at..............75.57 +1.64 for the week ending...NYMEX (http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html)
Oil Markers................................<65= ok, 65-75= worry, >75= panic (maybe).

Tea Leaves:

Tin Box.
TSP (week ending)........G=12.03..F=11.30..C=17.14..S=20.89. .I=25.28

The Lilly Pad

Spaf
07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 23, 2007

Yak, Doodles, Tea Leaves, The Lilly Pad, and a laugh!

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.......................................The market returned to a bullish trend, however it remains disturbed over the subprime loans. The Stochastics oscillator is still registering bearish with &#37;K under %D, but is moving from overbought conditions.

Doodles:
Stops.......................................Alert (-1%)....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX........1541.57 +7.47..........1524............1509

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at...............74.89 -0.90 for the day.
Oil Markers.................................<65= ok, 65-75= worry, >75= panic (maybe).

Tea Leaves:

The Lilly Pad

Laughs from the desk of senior citizens

"LOST IN THE DARNDEST PLACES"

An elderly Lady called 911 on her cell phone to report that her car has been broken into. She is hysterical as she explains her situation to the dispatcher: "They've stolen the stereo, the steering wheel, the brake pedal and even the accelerator!" she cried.

The dispatcher said, "Stay calm. An officer is on the way."

A few minutes later, the officer radios in. "Disregard." He says. "She got in the back-seat by mistake."

"I CAN HEAR JUST FINE!"

Three retirees, each with a hearing loss, were playing golf one fine March day. One remarked to the other, "Windy, isn't it?"

"No," the second man replied, "it's Thursday."

And the third man chimed in, "So am I. Let's have a beer."

"OLD FRIENDS"

Now this one is just too Precious...LOL!

Two elderly ladies had been friends for many decades. Over the years, they had shared all kinds of activities and adventures. Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a week to play cards. One day, they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, "Now don't get mad at me .. I know we've been friends for a long time, but I just can't think of your name! I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell me what your name is."

Her friend glared at her. For at least three minutes she just stared and glared at her. Finally she said, "How soon do you need to know?"

"SENIOR DRIVING"

As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him, "Herman, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on Interstate 77. Please be careful!"

"Heck," said Herman, "It's not just one car. It's hundreds of them!"
.................................................. ........

Regards and be careful out there!

Wolverine
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Funny stuff thar Spaf....... with the senior stuff. LOL

Wethammer
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Call TSP and talk to them. Get it straight from the horses mouth. I've talked to them several times. They are nice and very knowledgeable. <>877-968-3778<>

Thank you, thank you, thank you!:D Y'all helped greatly. Called TSP as directed and found out I was worried for nothing. Can keep $$ in TSP until I'm 70.5 with no problemas. Thanks to all who responded to my post with advice. Y'all are GREAT!:)

The Hammer

Spaf
07-25-2007, 04:23 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 25, 2007

Kingdom Yak:
Yak..........................................The market sure is volatile!

Doodles:
Stops.......................................Alert (-1%)....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX........1518.09 +7.05.........X1538...........X1523

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at...............75.88 +2.32 for the day.
Oil Markers.................................<65= ok, 65-75= worry, >75= panic (maybe).

Tea Leaves:
Yakndoodles...............................Kripes!

The Lilly Pad

Spaf
07-26-2007, 04:52 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 26, 2007

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.........................................Well, we are heading back to the oversold areas! Next, we gotta find the bottom!

Doodles:
Stops.......................................Alert (-1&#37;)....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX........11482.66 -35.43......X1538...........X1523

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at...............75.33 -0.55 for the day.

Tea Leaves:
Yakndoodles...............................Wow, what a day!

The Lilly Pad

Spaf
07-29-2007, 10:46 AM
The Retirement Kingdom
July 2007 Edition
Sunday July 29, 2007

Kingdom Yak:
Yak.....................................Continued selling prevailed on Friday. For the S&P The Stochastics Oscillator is still bearish with &#37;K below %D and now below 20 which is the start of the oversold range. The Bollinger Bands have grown into a large width which means possible increased volatility. SPX is trading below the lower band, now somewhat overextended to the down side. Expect a pause or a retracement. We need to watch what is happening, keeping a eye on the pricing. There are several factors that have influenced this downward adjustment: energy, earnings, credit and housing. It could take a while to get the market back on track. Fishing for a bottom will only spell trouble. Averaging down is throwing good money after bad. But averaging up makes sense, it's called "pyramiding". However, we first would like to see a double bottom reversal, a clear indication of a bearish trend ending (see March below). Then by pyramiding we can capture gains at a lower risk.

Le Charts
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Spaf/SP072707.gif

Doodles:
Stops............................................. ....Alert (-1%).....Trail (-2%)
.....SPX....1458.95 -75.15 for the week....X1537............X1522

Lube (NYMEX) Closed at..............77.02 +1.45 for the week ending...NYMEX (http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html)
Oil Markers................................<65= ok, 65-75= worry, >75= panic (maybe).

Tea Leaves:
Yakndoodles...............................Observat ion and patience.

Tin Box.
TSP (week ending)........G=12.04..F=11.35..C=16.30..S=19.61. .I=23.69

The Lilly Pad

Birchtree
07-29-2007, 07:00 PM
It might be a good time to go noodling - what do you think?

Spaf
07-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Lakes and rivers are too high!.....Need a Racoon?.....:D

It might be a good time to go noodling - what do you think?

Spaf
07-30-2007, 09:08 PM
The Retirement Kingdom
Periodical
July 30, 2007

Yak and The Lilly Pad.

Yak.................A bounce off an apparent bottom is unconvencing!..... Still need some reliable indicators.

Lilly Pad...........100% G-fund.

Regards and be careful!
Spaf
:)