PDA

View Full Version : web hosting

mailmanusa
05-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you could give insight. I am in the process of starting a small business. Eventually I will want a website for it. My chosen domain name is available. There are so many choices for hosting out there. I dont need tons of exposure or tons of bandwidth and all that. There probably wont be too too much traffic. I want to exist on the web so when someone gets the name from my vehicle door sign or business card they can go to the web and check me out. What are some good budget hosting companies? Ones where I can buy domain and also have the tools available to build a site. Im looking for the best deal in the one stop shop so to speak. Any ideas. Thanks John

tsptalk
05-26-2007, 11:57 AM
There are several good ones out there. I have been happy with webair.com. I use a dedicated server but you can get a shared server there with everything you will probably need, for $9.99 a month.

mailmanusa
05-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks Tom, I'll be sure and check out what webair has to offer. What about godaddy. Have you heard anything good or bad about them? Im going into the home inspection business. I can work evening and weekend appointments or my days off around my post office work schedule. Just two inspections a week can gross 25K. Securing a decent second income will allow me to get out of the PO at my earliest retirement age of 56. Thats 13 years from now. The heck if I want to hang around the PO till im 65..no way. I'll take my retirement benifits at 56 and go full time into home inspection at that point. Work for myself...when I want for a change. :)

tsptalk
05-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

I actually never used godaddy for hosting. Make sure you get a referal from someone who has used their customer sevice. That is very important because you want someone available all the time when your site has problems. webair has basically 24 hour live service.

fabijo
05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey, mailmanusa. I use dreamhost.com. They've got great deals and a great user interface for their control panel.

Here are some reviews for godaddy. It seems their customer support is terrible:
http://www.hostsearch.com/review/the_go_daddy_group_review.asp

James48843
06-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I use http://www.pair.com

I have a simple FTP account, and I host about eight domain names for different things I do there.

The first name hosted is just $5.95 as month, and then it costs one dollar a month more for each additional domain name hosted.

For a bit more, you can get more services, but I have never needed any more than the lowest cost service.

It's about the best deal out there that I know of.

mailmanusa
06-05-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. The good thing is I have plenty of time to choose. It will be a couple of months at least before I need a site up. Right now I have to work on the requirements for licensing in MD. One of them includes 48 hours of on site classroom training. That begins in mid July. :-)

FundSurfer
06-05-2007, 07:50 AM
I use godaddy for a couple sites and have been very satisfied. I have fairly low traffic and they have options to help you easily set up 1-2 page websites that look quite good. I have not used the customer service but rather just used their online help to figure out everything I need. The price is cheap which is why I chose godaddy.

mailmanusa
06-07-2007, 05:48 AM
I bought my domain name/s through GoDaddy but havnt done anything else yet. My url will be www.arundelhomeinspection.com (http://www.arundelhomeinspection.com) and also .net. Dont bother clicking yet as there is no site at this point. I have also secured my tradename with the state. Arundel Home Inspection LLC
I'm feelin pretty good about it all so far.:)