PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Highway Advice.....

rokid
05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm considering driving the Alaskan Highway. If I drive from Virginia, it's 8K each way. However, if I fly to Seattle, Fairbanks, or someplace in Canada, I could drive a shorter version. Any advice? Has anyone done it?

gwilli
05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey, I've driven 90% of the highway twice and enjoyed both times. The first time I entered Canada just north of Grand Forks and drove up to Winnipeg and then headed west to Edmonton. Although the granola fields were blossuming and made for some very colorful photos, but I felt like I was in Kansas the whole time, so between that and the fact that Canada's gas prices are higher I wouldn't recommend this route. The second time I entered just north of Grand Falls, Montona and went due north to Edmonton. I would love to do this route again because the weather then was spotty and although I did see "devil's tower", "Deadwood", "Mt. Rushmore", I didn't make it to "ole Faithful" and others that I had planned on seeing. If you are wanting to just drive the "Alaskan Highway" it's official beginning is in Dawson Creek, about an 1 1/2 hour drive NW of Edmonton.

Feel free to ask more

gw

dieselscout80
05-08-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm considering driving the Alaskan Highway. If I drive from Virginia, it's 8K each way. However, if I fly to Seattle, Fairbanks, or someplace in Canada, I could drive a shorter version. Any advice? Has anyone done it?

I drove it 4 times between 1995 and 2000 each a 1 way trip I was stationed at Ft Richardson, AK in 1995.

The trip is a great one!!! Plan on plenty of time for the drive if you want to enjoy it.

What is your goal of the trip?

Remember that once you are in Alaska it takes lots of driving to get from one place to another.

The best thing is to get a MilePost book and start planning your trip.
http://www.themilepost.com/

Remember to have fun!! :D

rokid
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
What is your goal of the trip?

Nothing in particular. When I was in third grade, the family of a kid in my class drove from Detroit to Fairbanks. He brought in the slides. They were wonderful. Since then it's just something I've wanted to do.

Incidentally, they drove it in 1954 when a good portion of it was gravel.

Thanks for the info.

Gilligan
05-09-2007, 11:19 AM

I went with a church construction team in the summer of 2005. We flew into Anchorage then drove thru Delta Junction to Fairbanks, then back down by Denali, thru Anchorage to Homer. 2,500 miles driving in a week. Fairbanks is somewhat flat, in the summer expect sunlight 24 hours a day. I enjoyed Anchorage more, the mountains and wildlife are up close. Homer has the best halibut fishing. Everywhere you go, even in downtown Anchorage, watch out for moose, they will walk right out in front of you.

rokid
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I went with a church construction team in the summer of 2005. We flew into Anchorage then drove thru Delta Junction to Fairbanks, then back down by Denali, thru Anchorage to Homer.

I stopped in Anchorage in 1970 on my way to Thailand. Anchorage was spectacular, even from the airport.:cheesy:

Did you see the Northern Lights on your trip or was it too light (no pun intended)?

Gilligan
05-09-2007, 12:58 PM
There was too much sunlight to see any northern lights. We did see a hot air ballon flying north of Fairbanks at 2300 hrs (11PM), you wont see that in the lower 48 states. In the summer, every other vehicle on the road is a motorhome. There must have been over 100 RVs parked at the Super Walmart in Fairbanks, I think Walmart stores lets RVs park for free. The locals say that they go to Walmart in the winter to walk around and get some light. I dont know if I could stand 24/7 of darkness.