PDA

View Full Version : Finally Getting It

anthony
05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone. Just a quick intro. I started a TSP account in 2003 and this is the first time I've really started learning about how to maximize it. So, thank you TSPTalk for getting me going in a new direction.

TSPTalk has spurred a whole new level of interest in taking care of my future. Instead of just blindly putting money into an account, now I feel more comfortable starting to manage that account. I did some math on my account and with just putting money in there since 2003 I've averaged 5.5% gain per year. But from Jan-April 2007 I'm already at 3.5% (although I kinda gooned this recent buy signal and sat on the sidelines). Hopefully it will continue to improve as I learn some skills and pick up some knowledge.

I still have a lot to learn. I want to read some books and I'm thinking of taking some kind of basic investors class when I get home from Iraq. See you in the forums!

tsptalk
05-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks for joining us anthony! I think you've got it exactly right! As I try to stress to readers, this site is geared to help you understand your account and the markets in general, not to tell anyone what to do. If we've got you intested in learning - that's the best feedback we can get.

Welcome, good luck, and thanks for your service!

James48843
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Welcome Aboard Anthony!

Yes, learning how to increase your returns is not something that is done overnight. It takes a lot of reading, a lot of understanding, and sometimes, a little more than just luck.

Hope you keep safe in Iraq- and stop in here from time to time, and learn all you can. It's great that you started a TSP account-- it will be of great help to you in the distant future.

Welcome aboard, and a wish that you find the learning here rewarding.....

nnuut
05-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the Board Anthony, good luck with your investments.
Norman:D

Show-me
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello Anthony,

Thanks for your service and max out those contributions. If your in a combat zone think about a Roth IRA. No income taxes while in country and once the money is in a Roth you never will pay taxes on that money or its earnings.

MarkB
05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
If your in a combat zone think about a Roth IRA. No income taxes while in country and once the money is in a Roth you never will pay taxes on that money or its earnings.

Does that also apply to civilians Gov Employees working in the Green Zone? My co worker is heading over in June.

MFDonn
05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Welcome Anthony.
I returned a few months ago too. I poked around the site from the AOR, got in heavy during my reconstitution leave and I haven't been the same since. Lots of good info here. It will take weeks, maybe months to get all the possible info from the site. I still find new things from time to time. There are some very knowledgable people posting advice here.

md
(ANG)

Show-me
05-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Does that also apply to civilians Gov Employees working in the Green Zone? My co worker is heading over in June.

No, see below from IRS.gov. :(

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=101262,00.html

Q-8: My brother, who is a civilian in the merchant marine, is on a ship that transports military supplies between the United States and the combat zone. Is he entitled to the combat zone military pay exclusion?
A-8: No. Those serving in the merchant marine are not members of the U.S. Armed Forces. The combat zone military pay exclusion applies only to members of the U.S. Armed Forces. Neither federal civilian employees nor civilian defense contractors deployed with U.S. forces qualify for an exclusion of income earned while working in a combat zone or qualified hazardous duty area. They may, however, qualify for an extension of deadlines (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=101265,00.html) to file and pay taxes.