PDA

View Full Version : 401K/IRA Rollover to TSP?

mystie3k
05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
All,

I just recently started a fed position and I have a corporate 401K I’m looking at rolling over into the TSP program. The TSP has decent investment returns and AMAZING management fees, at 0.03%. Average in industry is around 1.5%, and good rates are at about 0.5%.

However, while the rate of return from the TSP is decent, it’s not the best you can get. Vanguard has good tracking funds (VTSMX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index: 0.19% management fee, 11.10% 1 year return, 10.81% 3 year return) and (VGTSX - Vanguard Total International Stock: 0.32% management fee, 20.14% 1 yr ret, 20.60% 3 yr ret).

I’m trying to compare between putting my 401K rollover into the TSP with great, low fees, or into a rollover IRA and purchase low-priced tracking funds, such as Vanguard and TIAA-CREF.

I’m sure I’m not the first one to wrestle with this question, so I’m hoping someone else out there has thought about this and maybe has some insights to share.

Thanks for your help!

Show-me
05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
*Bump*

IMO, this would have to be a personal choice. I'm not in that situation, but knowing what I know now I would keep them separate for the purpose of diversity.

Birchtree
05-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I'd leave the corporate 401(K) intact for now - you may decide to return to your previous employer later on - life is funny that way. If you do a roll over to an IRA think about individual stocks for greater flexibility.