PDA

View Full Version : Great Site but...

The Conservative One
04-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I think tsptalk.com is a very valuable site. I check it every day for its thoughful commentary. But I feel that it relies a little too much on technical analysis. That has its place too but so much of the near term performance of the market is dependent upon specific market moving situations that differ in some minute respects from previous situations.

For the past few years I have stuck with a pretty even distribution of C, S and I funds (no F funds yet) with a minimum of interfund transfers and I believe it works. I simply can't tell that one sector will outperform the others so I do the easiest thing and allocate to all the stock sectors.

I am afraid that waiting for the right buying opportunity may simply cause you to miss out on too many market moves, especially in this type of market which is generally rising.

Keep up the good work.

tsptalk
04-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks and welcome! What you are doing is fine with me. Diversifying and buying and holding is a great, just as I tell people who ask that the L-funds are the best option for most people who's rather not follow the market.

The bear market of 2000-2002 got some of our attention and may have changed the way we approach investing. Did you know the S&P 500 lost 50&#37; of it's value in 2.5 years, and the Nasdaq lost 78% <-- not a typo. The Nasdaq was out of control before the fall but it is still down over 50% from its peak. It gets you to thinking that 7 to 8% a year is just fine. Not my goal, but my account took some hits a few years ago (and I was prepared for the fall) and I want to protect it and only act when things look their best.

But you are right, I have missed opportunities and that's something market timers are always trying to improve.

Best of luck and thanks for joining us!

Spaf
04-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Welcome there The Conservative One!

Each to their own poison!.....:D

But you are right, I have missed opportunities and that's something market timers are always trying to improve.

Ya, missed the big rally on February 27th!......;)

IllinifanMichael
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I think tsptalk.com is a very valuable site. I check it every day for its thoughful commentary. But I feel that it relies a little too much on technical analysis. That has its place too but so much of the near term performance of the market is dependent upon specific market moving situations that differ in some minute respects from previous situations.

For the past few years I have stuck with a pretty even distribution of C, S and I funds (no F funds yet) with a minimum of interfund transfers and I believe it works. I simply can't tell that one sector will outperform the others so I do the easiest thing and allocate to all the stock sectors.

I am afraid that waiting for the right buying opportunity may simply cause you to miss out on too many market moves, especially in this type of market which is generally rising.

Keep up the good work. :D Except I probably had more IFT's than you. I love this site, what I am hoping to gain more of is to learn/predict how to catch downturns and minimize losses. I admit laziness is a downfall of mine in watching worldly activites and such. Now that I am closer to retirement (still 15 years away) getting more involved in my money. Good luck to you.... and me in future.

tsptalk
04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
... And don't forget there is a lot going on here. I had a lady email me today saying she made the change I suggested this week. Now we have Trader Fred's system which gave a signal (buy), the sentiment survey system (sell for next week), and the others that did not trigger a change like RevShark's newsletter recommendations, my account, the long term account, and not to mention what everyone is doing hre on the board.

I had to tell her to make sure, if she is going to follow, that she watches just one method otherwise she'll be bouncing around aimlessly with all of these signals being given.

Lots of choices - and to each their own.

IllinifanMichael
04-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I had to tell her to make sure, if she is going to follow, that she watches just one method otherwise she'll be bouncing around aimlessly with all of these signals being given.

Lots of choices - and to each their own. That is MOST of our/my problems I think. We do bounce around, nature of the beast I think. ;) But I have to admit it is our own choice to make what WE are comfortable with. I wish sometimes that I wasn't so aggressive... maybe I need a 12 step investmentholics program... :laugh:

Spaf
04-06-2007, 02:37 PM
maybe I need a 12 step investmentholics program... :laugh:

When you leave the site or cash in your TSP, we'll get U enrolled.

BTW, IMHO for LOL
I think EW should divide up the "Tracker"!
-Cracker, for small investors that just want to snack!
-Zapper, for the more aggressive.
-Whopper, for big investors.
-Napper, for those retired.

We could be happier than bull frogs in a fly hatch....:D