PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend

09-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Hey Tom, do you have any data from previous Labor Day weekends concerning the Friday before and the Monday after? Trying to decide to stay in or get out with the impending hurricane coming. Thanks.

tsptalk
09-02-2004, 10:11 AM
The only thing I could find is that the first 3 trading days in September are typical stronger than normal. Labor Day is held on the first Monday in September so I think thatthe Tuesday after Labor Day is obviouslyone of those first 3 days some years. The fact that it happens to bethe 4th trading day may or not be a problem. I would guess the bias is positive for Friday of this week, and maybe slightly negative for Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday next week.This seasonality data should only be used as an afterthought in my opinion. Don't forget this is an election year and that could mean things are stronger than a typical September...

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/seasonality_september.gif
Chart provided courtesy of http://www.sentimentrader.com (http://www.sentimentrader.com)

09-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks Tom, I think I'm gonna go 100% G for tomorrow. Maybe stay there all next week. The report I posted yesterday said the week of the RNC is fairly flat and the week after down. May jump back in then depending.

According to my sources, shhhhh, lol, we've reached a critical point and the market will either go or down from here. Brilliant observation huh? LOL Lot of stuff going on in the short term, so I''m boltin'. :@I hate being skeered, :shock:

Rod
09-02-2004, 10:50 AM
mlk_man wrote:
Thanks Tom, I think I'm gonna go 100% G for tomorrow. Maybe stay there all next week. The report I posted yesterday said the week of the RNC is fairly flat and the week after down. May jump back in then depending.

According to my sources, shhhhh, lol, we've reached a critical point and the market will either go or down from here. Brilliant observation huh? LOL Lot of stuff going on in the short term, so I''m boltin'. :@I hate being skeered, :shock:

Welcome to the club... you are nowsafe hands!;)

09-02-2004, 10:52 AM
LOL, thanks..........Hold my hand? :!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!<------waiting for the sky to fall....................

09-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Rut Roh! Maybe I goofed and should of stayed in...........

The critical August jobs report will be released ahead of Friday's opening bell. Analysts polled by CBS.Marketwatch estimate 148,000 jobs were added during the month and that the unemployment rate remained steady at 5.5 percent.

tsptalk
09-02-2004, 12:44 PM
So far so good. We keep climbing thatproverbial wall of worry. It's nice to see a little fear out there. ;) I'dlike to play it safemyself but the market seems to want to keep going. I have to stand by my indicators. It's easier to blame them than myself.

Cinderella
09-02-2004, 04:02 PM
I saw an interview of First Lady Laura Bush and she said that she was not worried about the job report coming out this week because it was based on numbers from an old census report. She indicated that the unemployment rate was 5.5 percent and that things are improving.

Cinderella
09-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Tom, Thank-you for establishing this website. I appreciate reading all of the diverse opinions and investment strategies. For too long, I remained conservative in my TSP because I didn't have the control to move from one fund to another as frequently as we do now. I caught the bull ride in 2003 and locked in my profits by moving to G fund in Feb 2004. This really boosted my TSP, and I can see where following the market trends and developing a strategic plan will be an advantage to me at retirement. Thank-you again for establishing and maintaining this website.

tsptalk
09-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks Cinderella, and welcome!!

09-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Welcome Cinderella! Hey I found this slipper the other day............

Are you currently in G fund or something else?

Cinderella
09-03-2004, 10:40 AM
This Cinderella doesn't need a slipper, but I could use a better investment strategy. I have realized that my retirement goals are not going to be met by conservative investing. The spring and summer months of the market have been so choppy that I spent most of the time in G fund. However, I took advantage of a low that I thought might be the bottom a few weeks ago. I made some gains and I locked them in by moving the majority of it back to G fund this week prior to the reports and RNC. I have read about some investment strategies on this forum that I am going to try. I don't fully understand the Fro strategy, but I have an understanding of the 30 day average price and the 63 day moving average. I'm trying to make time to follow the market closer, but in case I don't, I am depending on this forum..... I'm so thankful for tsptalk.

09-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Hmmmm, sounds like my strategy.......:DI'm actually helping alot of friends out with my system. Which goes against my rule of don't mix finances and friends. :shock:

Hopefully it will continue to work. My goal is to make an average of 20% a year for 20 years. That would give me 3 million dollars. Can I do it? Come back in 10 years and I'll let ya know. LOL

Rod
09-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Cinderella wrote:
I am depending on this forum.....

:shock::?:shock:

:D

09-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Cinderella wrote:
I am depending on this forum.....
You're in good hands...:!:!

:#..........................:zz

Cinderella
09-03-2004, 12:32 PM
"I am depending on this forum"........ I knew you would have some fun with that quote <grin>

tsptalk
09-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Cinderella wrote:
"I am depending on this forum"
I recommend you use the forum to eventually form your own strategy based on what you learn here. Blindly following me, or anyone else on the board canbe hazaedous to your account:shock:, and will allsogive you a feeling of helplessness during those down markets. Even though my return this year hasn't been very impressive, I'm quite confident in what I'm doing and even if the market moves away from me, I usually can stay focused on my plan and rely on my indicators.I try to take the emotion out of it.

Good luck!
Tom

09-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Cinderalla,

Welcome to the board. I like someone that is not 100% stocks all the time.

I went 50% S and 50% on I fund on Friday because I felt the reality of what is going on with the economy would show up after a week of a index rebalancing (forcing index funds to buy stocks) and a leaked report of a gang buster job growth report that was coming out Friday morning. 144K is not a good job report. It is 6K jobs less then we need to grow the economy. Remember the job report for July was for 250-300K growth. This is the normal range of job growth for an economy that is recovering.

Moving forward "I am hoping" there will be a Bush bounce in the market due to his poll numbers are on the raise from the RNC. I will ride that until I get a a little gain in the funds. If the big guys come in on Tuesday and start selling I am will get out of the way. The risk reward is slightly on the bullish side for me and am going to see what happens.

MT