PDA

View Full Version : Let the fun (and questions) begin

hxcsurfer
03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm great at saving money but not so smart (yet) with investing it. In my first 5 years in the Coast Guard I have saved 54 thousand that I have sitting gaining 5.20 % in a performance index fund with USAA. I have another 4 thousand currently losing me money hehe thats invested in a international mutual fund ( USIFX ) through USAA. I am not currently putting any money into this fund.
I just started TSP 80 percent Interational and 20 percent in a Lifecyle 2040. I contribute 20 percent of basic pay and all of my bonus money.
I'm 26 dont need as much as most to be happy. I am debt free, car is paid for and I can safely invest around 1800 a month.
Thing is I don't like to have ALL of my money tied up until I am 60. What else would you suggest I invest in...besides a Roth.....no load mutual funds ?
Also I see the market tanking....should I hold off on investing my 50 grand ?
Any thoughts appreciated
thanks
Danny

Spaf
03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Welcome hxcsurfer!
Start your hxcsurfer account talk thread, and I'm sure the opinions will follow!

tsptalk
03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Also I see the market tanking....should I hold off on investing my 50 grand ?
Welcome Danny! It may be getting time to put some to work, but I wouldn't do it all at once.

Good luck!
Tom

hxcsurfer
03-14-2007, 04:59 PM
thanks for your friendly replies. Before I stumbled onto this sight I posted a similar message and got exactly one reply saying " Flagged. Excessively Boring "
So this is a relief hehe

2moryrs
03-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Welcome also Danny. I am great at saving too. But this investing is much more than small brain can carry sometimes. I watched this site and followed recommendations for approximately 4 months before joining and NETTED $3,000. I was impressed so I joined for 6 months. I however do not bring home $1,800 a month so you are very fortunate indeed! Keep up the good work and you will have a great retirement nest egg!

Colleen

hxcsurfer
03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
well i have already started my contributions so i am reading all i can so i can try and hit the ground running.

not going to touch my savings until I am more established.

any suggestions welcomed

hxcsurfer
03-26-2007, 05:25 PM
By reading entirely too much and am at a stalemate of sorts. I love these TSP index funds because they have such a low expense ratio and the ability to easily move my money around. I really don't see how we could lose here.
That being said the choices are a bit limited so I am looking into spreading my money around maybe at Vanguard in something that I'm not currently being offered.
I wanted to invest in Health Care but it's currently closed although would it make sense to just invest in JNJ - johnson and johnson ?
Basically i need to fund a Roth and then I still have the 50,000 some odd dollars sitting around.
Tips to lead me down the right path ? Thanks.

tsptalk
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Danny -

You may get more of a rsponse if you pose these questions in one of the other threads where more people might be reading. Whether that's in a strategy thread, IRA thread, questions thread, etc.

Thanks,
Tom

hxcsurfer
03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
thanks - i'll give it a shot