PDA

View Full Version : REITs

fedgolfer
02-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Anyone out there have experience/advice in REITs? Looking to diversify into REITs... haven't settled on a ticker yet but looked into storage, malls, vanguard reits, etf reits. some individual names i've looked into are PSA, REG, KIM, GGP. With the interest rate picture looking a little clearer this area could attract more new money? Thx.

Gilligan
02-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Anyone out there have experience/advice in REITs? Looking to diversify into REITs... haven't settled on a ticker yet but looked into storage, malls, vanguard reits, etf reits. some individual names i've looked into are PSA, REG, KIM, GGP. With the interest rate picture looking a little clearer this area could attract more new money? Thx.

A coworker is invested in KIM, she is very happy with the returns. Bill Gates must think that the housing market is fixing to take off, he bought into 7 different home builders.

Spaf
02-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Gilligan,
You can see ETFs on real estate at www.barchart.com. [RMZ] is one. I hope you have a copy of the Stock Traders Almanac showing sector seasonality: Selected Percentage Plays. Reportedly the best time for real estate is October (ending) through (the start of) July.
Good luck my friend, but be cautious with sectors!.....:) ......Spaf

A coworker is invested in KIM, she is very happy with the returns. Bill Gates must think that the housing market is fixing to take off, he bought into 7 different home builders.

Gilligan
02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Gilligan,
You can see ETFs on real estate at www.barchart.com. [RMZ] is one. I hope you have a copy of the Stock Traders Almanac showing sector seasonality: Selected Percentage Plays. Reportedly the best time for real estate is October (ending) through (the start of) July.
Good luck my friend, but be cautious with sectors!.....:) ......Spaf

Thanks Spaf,
it was actually FedGolfer that was looking at REITs. I can get a better return by investing directly into Real Estate, sometimes my return is over 100%, and seasonality is a factor, summer is usually a good time to sell.

fedgolfer
02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
thx for the feedback... ended up going with SPG a couple days ago. Was going to do a reit etf or diversified fund, but noticed SPG was the top holding in most of the reit funds, so I just went w/ the big boy... glad I did, up over 5% in a couple days. All the reits have been hot, almost too hot for comfort, i'll hold until they distribute their taxable income/dividends, then consider selling if the sector follows the seasonality trend Spaf referred to.

Birchtree
02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
My LFB is being bought out by BAM; I hold them both. My GLB was bought out last year.