PDA

View Full Version : Fed vs Market Holidays and TSP impact

qibovin
01-11-2007, 02:03 PM
I thought I'd start a thread to stay on top of pending Federal and or Market holidays and their effect on TSP transactions. This was triggered by the rapidly approaching MLK holiday.

Initially I remember seeing something about this on tsp.gov, but then couldn't find it. I finally found a link at the very top of the homepage (duh!) to the "January 2007 Transaction Processing Schedule." This is pretty clear that no IFTs will be processed on Monday.

It also says that "The stock and bond markets will be closed on Monday, January 15th, in observance of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday." Is this true? I was not aware that MLK was a Market holiday. Is this a new thing? If new, can we expect the typical seasonality effects around market holidays, ie higher likelihood two days immediately prior to an exchange holiday?

Thoughts and comments welcome.

AIF
01-11-2007, 02:08 PM
"I thought I'd start a thread to stay on top of pending Federal and or Market holidays and their effect on TSP transactions."

I think this is a good idea.

tsptalk
01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
NYSE holiday closings (http://www.nyse.com/Frameset.html?nyseref=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dnyse+holidays%26btnG%3DGoog le+Search&displayPage=/about/1022963613686.html)

grandma
01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I thought I'd start a thread to stay on top of pending Federal and or Market holidays and their effect on TSP transactions. This was triggered by the rapidly approaching MLK holiday.
...Thoughts and comments welcome.
This is great ! :) Thank you, gibovin! I had posted MLK birthday in two different places this week. I remember, Labor Day I think it was, I had posted only one place, then one fellow was very upset because he didn't know it. It is hard to know where it might be noticed! And if people aren't noticing a holiday on their wall/pocket calenders, they aren't even aware to look -
Generally, I think, if a fed office or schools are closed, it is wise to follow up & check the Closing Schedules.

qibovin
03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Anyone else notice the "January 2007 Transaction Processing Schedule" has yet to be updated? This was great...IN JANUARY! I thought this great feature would be udated regularly to help participants to keep informed of days of operation, particularly regarding market and/or federal holidays.

Anyway, does anyone know what the status is of the TSP website for Good Friday which is, I believe, a market holiday but not a Federal holiday? Will TSP participants have a rare opportunity Friday to make transactions for COB Friday at the already determined and posted Thursday fund prices?

Wolverine
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
We have......Columbus Day Holiday.......Monday....October....8th.

James48843
01-13-2023, 07:57 AM
Monday is a holiday- Martin Luther King day.

I PRESUME there is NO TSP trading on Monday.

Unfortunately, my state doesn't do much for MLK day. And the TSP website doesn't say anything about being closed on Monday .

But Im pretty sure it's not doing transactions on Monday.

Happy Friday the 13th!

TommyIV
01-13-2023, 10:50 AM
Well, if the stock market is closed, it is safe to assume the TSP is closed.

Stock Market and Bank Holidays (https://www.standard.com/individual/retirement/stock-market-and-bank-holidays)

tsptalk
01-13-2023, 11:09 AM
From tsp.gov

Holiday Closing: Some financial markets will be closed on Monday, January 16, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The Thrift Savings Plan will also be closed. Transactions that would have been processed Monday night (January 16) will be processed Tuesday night (January 17) at Tuesday's closing share prices.