PDA

View Full Version : Good Newsletters/Alerts for investing?

love-to-bike
01-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi,

I'm happy with my TSP returns, after taking a more active role (thanks to this forum!) I had an 18% return last year. I don't know how most active traders view that sort of return but I'm sure happy and I imagine it's better than what most people (who are not so active) achieve.

I now want to branch out into more individual investing (i.e. outside my TSP). On one hand I think maybe I should invest my funds available funds the same way I do my TSP - allocate and move money around FCSI type of funds. That way things are simpler - same as what I do w/ TSP.

However I'm also feel the urge to branch out into other offerings, whether they be stocks, funds, etc. One of the things that drives me to consider this is the increasing number of investment advisors I hear on the radio or on TV. Plenty of talk, some of them seem like carnival barkers, others seem more reasonable. Many of these folks offer advice through newletters or some sort of an alert system.

Is anyone familar with these people and what quality their advice is? People I'm familar with (at the surface level) include Jim Cramer, Bob Brinker, Ric Edelman, etc. Any suggestions on a best course to follow for someone who won't be able to spend a lot of time following market indicators, etc. but who is willing to take risk based on sound advice?

Thanks!
Bob

love-to-bike
01-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Digging around a bit, I found an interesting analysis: http://www.cxoadvisory.com/gurus/

nnuut
01-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Good link LTB.
Thanks

love-to-bike
01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Now if I can just figure out what their moves are....

FUTURESTRADER
01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
that is a good link, l-t-b, scary most are right less than half the time.

Managed futures has gained a lot in popularity over the past 2-3 years.

Attached is one very successful strategy. I think it's closed to new investors.

$25K to open and returns are net of all fees/commisions. I'm not advertising this, but I think managed futures is something everyone should be familiar with. Caveat Emptor! :)

love-to-bike
01-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Hey FuturesTrader - thanks for the attachment, very interesting. Are you familar with other successful managed future programs? I'd be interested in tapping into something like this where an expert is keeping a closer eye on things than I could...

FUTURESTRADER
01-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Hey FuturesTrader - thanks for the attachment, very interesting. Are you familar with other successful managed future programs? I'd be interested in tapping into something like this where an expert is keeping a closer eye on things than I could...

l-t-bike,

The below sites are very informative, they are pretty much redundant however, just different formats. Lists, describes, and shows performance of most CTAs (Commodity Trading Advisors) and their strategies. I've invested/traded directly with CTAs and am currently exploring a CTA fund manager, essentially. A manager that can get you into closed funds and manages your money on what they feel is the best CTA.

http://www.autumngold.com/

http://www.iasg.com/mainframe.asp?