PDA

View Full Version : Interesting individual stocks

James48843
12-24-2006, 06:23 AM
This is a thread started to make note of interesting individual stocks. If you have a stock you've found that merits attention, please feel free to add it to this thread, and tell us what you know about the company, and/or why you've found it interesting.

Note: All stocks submitted are only things noted by the poster, are not recommendations, and, as always, there is risk involved, including the potential risk that they could turn out to lose money. Never take investment tips off a publically available internet bulletin board, your Uncle Harry, or someone who lives in Nigeria and wants you to transfer your bank account numbers to him/her.

Oh, yeh.
Except in Nebraska.

James48843
12-24-2006, 06:27 AM
My contribution of the day-

Take a look at CRDN. Ceradyne Corp is a maker of ceramic body armor plates. And they work pretty darn good.

What is notable: What is interesting is that Ceradyne has expanded into other ceramic markets. Vehicle armor is the latest, but they also purchased their supplier of boron powder for making ceramics last year. And that has increased their bottom line. As has a recent purchase of a manufacturer of boron-lined aluminum containers for storing nuclear waste. Bottom line is that the company continues to grow at a fast rate, and margins are good.

Why consider investing here: Future is bright for continued armor growth, and continued non-military diversification.

Bullitt
06-18-2007, 05:20 PM
In hindsight, excellent analysis. $57.50 at time of original post, $74 at close today. Hope you are still raking it in. I think this is one of those companies that is misunderstood by the analysts.

Bullitt
06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm starting to like SWHC more than ever. Reported a blowout quarter and better yet, improved forward guidance. Company is introducing a new line of shotguns and rifles that should positively impact sales forward. 25% growth next 5 years, featured positively in Barrons last month, PEG under 1. Blasted past it's pivot price of around $15.50 on high volume. There's a short squeeze in progress and should be ending soon, then it's time to get long.

Bullitt
07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm starting to like SWHC more than ever.
Breakout today in SWHC on huge volume.

offtrack
07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
BAC is getting support after dropping 2% off the subprime fears day before earnings. Might be worth buying.

Bullitt
07-18-2007, 11:49 AM
BAC as a LOOONNNGGG term hold, yes I'd buy it for the 4.5% Divvy. Right now I don't see much upside in any financial companies. I'd wait a while before heading into any bank stocks. Even if there isn't any further fallout from the subslime mess, fear is going to continue to crush these stocks. Buy into fear, I like that.

Support at 48 for BAC.

Bullitt
10-04-2007, 08:14 AM
STZ may finally close above 25.50 today. I'll be watching it today. A big move on today's earnings could get it running again.

Bullitt
10-26-2007, 12:37 PM
AEO may be making a double bottom. Undervalued according to some analysts. May be positioned to move big in the months ahead with Christmas. I took a position in my 'Mock Trading Account' today at $22.55. Maybe I'll jump on the wagon in the real account also.

phillyfed
10-29-2007, 06:31 PM
LLNW
NTWK
AKAM

All up 10-20% since I mentioned them last week...they are still going to run...Esp AKAM

Bullitt
10-29-2007, 09:58 PM
AEO may be making a double bottom.

A good lesson on why not to trade after hours was given tonight in AEO. Moved up about 10% at 18:44 on about 1,000 shares of volume. Must've been a Cramer lightning round pick. Somebody made a quick buck.

James48843
10-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Got trashed in my SPAR this week. Blew earnings and dropped a bunch. It will be back later, but this week I got hosed.

Jumped into FXI today for the ride. China EFT. Hope it still carries on- I need to make up my losses.

anthony
11-12-2007, 01:11 AM
This is an interesting thread. I'll toss in two cents on OPMR.
(Disclaimers First: I already own shares. I'm throwing this out as a discussion because I'm considering additional purchases, not trying to hype the stock.)

OPMR seems like a buy opportunity to me. I first noticed them in one of AAII's stock screens and picked up at $4.45. (currently $4.21)

The company got mauled this year in the law changes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFE_Port_Act) regarding online gambling. It published earnings Wednesday which were negative as expected, and I think that could continue to drive the price a little lower, especially if the present market-wide volatility continues.

So I see this as a longer hold. In its favor, even with $20M restricted it still has more cash per share than current share price, which is forming a floor for the stock price, and it is using some of that cash to buy back shares. I think the US online gambling issue will blow over in the next year and OPMR will be in position to recover nicely.

Any thoughts or maybe a danger I'm not seeing?

Bullitt
11-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Is TOL making a bottom? Trading range between about 19.50 and 24 for the past 3 months. Going to have to see whether this thing breaks to the upside or downside. I'm sure we're going to see a few more housing companies go under, but that's good news for the stronger comanies. Something to keep an eye on.

Bullitt
11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Is TOL making a bottom?

Well, today the bottom fell out on TOL. Good short candidate at this point, though it might be a bit too obvious today. Wait for it to rally to 18.50-19 level as it's puts will drop in value; then get short this dog.

James48843
11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Best tip from my 11-year old.

I have been trying for two months to get a Nintendo Wii gamebox. Nintendo simply cannot meet demand. I met someone today to stood in line 11 hours in order to get one. And E-bay has them at 3 times the list price for a buy it now, and double list for a private owner selling one. that tells me there continues to be a heck of a lot of pent-up demand for the Wii.

Check it out. Best buy between now and Christmas is not a Wii, it is Nintendo Stock.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NTDOY.PK

I'm going to buy some and put it under the tree, and hope it pays for the Wii in February, for a birthday.

Bullitt
12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Not a bad idea with Nintendo there James. It's crossed my mind before as well. Wait until that thing begins to trade on the Nasdaq, and then watch how much the price will appreciate as institions will rush in to buy it. A Wii? I'd be happy with a regular NES so I can play some Tecmo Super Bowl and Mike Tyson's Punchout!

As for the short play on TOL.... Bush's plan to freeze mortgages was a surprise that ruined that idea. I still think the homebuilders have longer to go down. We haven't seen enough go completely under yet.

James48843
12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
So I finally got a Wii.

Long story- but a good one. I ended up getting it during the day, after putting out an "all points bulletin" to everybody I know, I got a tip that some appeared at a Wal-Mart (I know, I usually avoid Wal-Mart like the plague), and I managed to make it to the store in time to get the last one that day.

So Christmas is covered.

Also covered, I bought some shares of Nintendo for my son for Christmas as well.

Note: Don't plan on waiting until it hits NASDAQ- it probably never will. It's on the OTC pink sheets, because it trades in Japan, and there are no plans to move it to a U.S. Market. If you want Nintendo stock, ya gotta go pink.

James48843
12-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Here is a story that appears today about Nintendo, the Wii, and what some analysts think will be the demand for it in the future. Currently trading at 76 and change.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Investor's Business Daily

To Wii Or Not To Wii Mostly A Moot Point
As Supplies Dry Up

Friday December 7, 5:56 pm ET
Patrick Seitz

Nintendo's hit video game console Wii is in short supply this holiday season. But the Japanese company insists it's making and shipping as many as it can.

Demand for the Wii (pronounced "wee") didn't slow down over the summer, so Nintendo says it wasn't able to build up an inventory for the holiday season. The device has proved popular with families because of its easy-to-use, motion-sensing controller.

Normally we would come into the October-November-December time period with a warehouse pretty well stocked with hardware," said George Harrison, senior vice president of marketing at Nintendo of America. "But we never were able to achieve that this year because we were shipping and selling everything that we received from overseas."

Nintendo has been steadily increasing production this year, he says. It's now at 1.8 million units a month, but that output has to be divided worldwide.

The company originally expected to sell 14 million units for the fiscal year ending March 31. It has twice upped the forecast, to the current 17.5 million.

The Wii debuted in November 2006 and has sold 13.2 million units worldwide as of Sept. 30.

It's outselling more-sophisticated game consoles from Microsoft (NasdaqGS:MSFT (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=msft) - News (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=msft)) and Sony (NYSE:SNE (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=sne) - News (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=sne)).

Plus, Nintendo makes money on every Wii unit it sells. By contrast, Microsoft loses money on the Xbox 360 as does Sony with its PlayStation 3 because of their high-end components. Microsoft and Sony aim to make their profits by selling games.

"We expect the demand for Wii to continue into January, February and March," Harrison said. "We've got some big (game software) titles scheduled for the first part of the year. So it doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon."

Nintendo has managed the supply of Wii consoles so they wouldn't sit long on store shelves, says Van Baker, an analyst with market research firm Gartner. The tight supply helps keep the buzz going for Wii, he says.

"There's enough inventory out there that people don't quit shopping for them. They may have to go to three or four different locations before they find one, but ultimately they do," Baker said.

But Brian O'Rourke, an analyst with research firm In-Stat, says Nintendo isn't intentionally holding back.
Nintendo's tight supply of Wii consoles comes from the fact that it isn't a manufacturing company, O'Rourke says. "They outsource their manufacturing. And qualifying contract manufacturers is a fairly time-consuming process," he said.

It takes Nintendo five months to increase production from the time it makes the decision to do so, Harrison says.

Demand for the Wii is likely to remain strong for at least the next two years, says O'Rourke. It is the cheapest of the current-generation consoles on the market and it appeals to a larger audience of casual gamers.

Gartner's Baker thinks Wii sales will be strong this Christmas but will cool by next holiday season.

"In general, it looks pretty positive for Wii this Christmas," Baker said. "The product's shortcomings are going to catch up with (Nintendo) by next Christmas."

The knocks against the Wii, Baker says, are that it lags in horsepower and graphics performance compared with rival consoles, and that it doesn't have as big a portfolio of games to play.

Most of the popular games for the Wii are Nintendo's own titles. Third-party game publishers aren't having as much success with the Wii, Baker says. The casual gamers who use the Wii don't buy as many game titles as the active gamers who use the Xbox 360 or PS3.
Those factors will make for a "relatively short run for this console," Baker said.

Other analysts disagree, saying Nintendo has expanded the audience for video games with its intuitive, easy-to-play game devices like the Wii and its handheld Nintendo DS.

"The Wii is going to be the best-selling console this generation," O'Rourke said. "There's very little doubt about that."

A big factor in Wii's favor is its cost. The Wii is priced at $250 and comes bundled with game software called "Wii Sports."

The lowest-price rival console is a stripped-down version of Microsoft's console called the Xbox 360 Arcade. It costs $279 and comes with five arcade games, including "Pac-Man Championship Edition." The standard Xbox 360 costs $349 and includes a 20-gigabyte hard drive, headset and network cable that the base version doesn't have.

Sony's PlayStation 3 costs $399 for a version with a 40-gigabyte hard drive and $499 for an 80-GB model. All PS3 models come with an integrated Blu-ray Disc drive for playing high-definition movies.

Nintendo expects a good holiday selling season thanks to the Wii and accessories like extra controllers and the new Wii Zapper for precision targeting. It also has first-party games like "Super Mario Galaxy" for the Wii.

Plus, the company's Nintendo DS handheld continues to rack up big sales numbers. The dual-screen game device with a touch-screen interface is popular with young people and adults, especially women.

The biggest traditional game titles this holiday season for the DS are Nintendo's own "Mario Party DS" and "The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass."

But adults are buying the $129 device to play brain-exercising games like "Sudoku Gridmaster" and "Brain Age."

Nintendo launched the DS in November 2004. It has sold 53.6 million units as of Sept. 30.

Show-me
12-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Anybody besides me like CC for a short term bounce?

Rod
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Anybody besides me like CC for a short term bounce?

Well, it did drop nearly 29% on Friday- at a 4 year low.

Although CC doesn't interest me, I'd say yeah go for it.

Show-me
12-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, it did drop nearly 29% on Friday- at a 4 year low.

Although CC doesn't interest me, I'd say yeah go for it.

Got some for $4.75, we'll see.

Oldcoin
02-13-2008, 08:11 AM
During the market pullback I’ve been picking up shares of Smith & Wesson SWHC; yesterday it made a significant move up. For the life of me I don’t know why. Might be a short squeeze, but no news. Has anyone heard anything that could justify such a quick move?

Idaho Dave
02-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Obama must have joined the NRA. :)

Viva_La_Migra
02-13-2008, 08:24 AM
LOL!!! That's a good one!:nuts::nuts::embarrest:

James48843
03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
I usually don't mention pink sheet stocks that have little history, but......Interesting individual find:

Check out Symbol "AETE"

Over the counter, on the pink sheets- but has some interesting play going on. Currently at 3.06 a share. Might be an interesting longshot high risk adventure.

James48843
03-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I usually don't mention pink sheet stocks that have little history, but......Interesting individual find:

Check out Symbol "AETE"

Over the counter, on the pink sheets- but has some interesting play going on. Currently at 3.06 a share. Might be an interesting longshot high risk adventure.

Scratch that-

I just found this written about this company:

CAVEAT EMPTOR 29-Jan-08 12:21 pm
These guys owe me and several others unpaid salary from previous ventures they launched and abandoned. AETE is another in a long line of shell companies formed by a guy from Dallas, TX. There is no proprietary technology, no proven commercial capability and no team of professionals leading this company. The CFO listed on the company info section on Pink Sheets say's he didn't even know they had him listed on it. This is a pure fantasy, with no substance or proven science to back up their claims. Before this, he launched Meridian Biorefining Corporation, which was another scheme to dupe people out of time and money. The alternative energy sector is full of pump and dump players like these guys. Gulf Ethanol is another one, Earth Biofuels is yet another. They all share a common theme, "all Hat and no Cattle". Don't risk your hard earned money on wildly speculative, no substance shells. There are plenty of legitimate alternative energy companies that will employ your investment to produce real results.

I guess there is no easy money to be made. The stock plunged to $2 this morning, then headed back to $3.

Just a pump and dump.

Move along, move along.

these are not the droids you have been looking for.

Intrepid_Timer
03-20-2008, 07:42 AM
You need to look at average volume also. They don't have that much daily trading volume. If you buy a stock, you need to make sure you can sell it also.

Good luck to you.

II

James48843
03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Right- Forget AETE- that's way too high risk and probably goign to be a looser.

Here is another one to look at:

CTCT- Constant Contact email program- a marketing company. Nice gains in revenues, and the price is coming down. they are not yet profitable, but expected to be soon.

What are your thoughts on this one?

James48843
11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Interesting individual stock:

Ramco Gershenson, symbol: RPT

Owns commercial real estate in multiple states. I've known a guy who works there from my days in college- he's now a VP over there. I have owned this REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) in the past, but I do not currently own any shares.

But, that said, I can't find any reason why it has tanked as far as it has in the last week.

Can anyone take a look at it, and provide a logical reason why it is trading at $3.72?

This should be a 12-15 dollar share, no brainer. Income is still coming in, it pays a regular payout, and earns around $1.60 a share. So why is it now trading at only 2 times earnings?

RPT- You tell me- why?

McDuck
11-23-2008, 08:42 PM

11/21/2008
Obama Selects Janet Reno`s Anti-Gun Point Man As Next Attorney General (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4243)

Show-me
11-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Owns commercial real estate in multiple states. I've known a guy who works there from my days in college- he's now a VP over there. I have owned this REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) in the past, but I do not currently own any shares.

But, that said, I can't find any reason why it has tanked as far as it has in the last week.

Can anyone take a look at it, and provide a logical reason why it is trading at $3.72?

This should be a 12-15 dollar share, no brainer. Income is still coming in, it pays a regular payout, and earns around $1.60 a share. So why is it now trading at only 2 times earnings?

RPT- You tell me- why?

Probably exaggerated speculation, but traders think the commercial real estate will come down like a house of card if we have a prolonged recession. Shopping malls will go down as retailer close up shop. Word on the street is that retailers are waiting to see the Christmas numbers and if they are bad cut, cut, cut. Office space is readily available because growth has stopped and venture capital dried up. Just look at all the lay offs in the financial sector that is freeing up office space.

Jackbnimble
11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
James,

I agree with Show Me. Also my 5 minute check shows that over 30% of the property RPT manages and owns is in Michigan. Who knows what will happen with the Automobile manufacturers but traders sell first and ask questions later... Right now they have a 93% occupancy rate in MI. Supply and demand could hurt their pricing power for years to come.

It does look tempting.

James48843
11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
James,

I agree with Show Me. Also my 5 minute check shows that over 30% of the property RPT manages and owns is in Michigan. Who knows what will happen with the Automobile manufacturers but traders sell first and ask questions later... Right now they have a 93% occupancy rate in MI. Supply and demand could hurt their pricing power for years to come.

It does look tempting.

True- 30% of properties are in Michigan- but they are mostly in areas of Michigan where the auto manufacturers are NOT. And 70% of their properties are NOT in Michigan.

I still say it's tempting at this price. They pay a great dividend, and even if they drop from $1.85 a share to $1.00 a share, we're still looking at 4 X payout.

Food for thought, anyway.

Too bad I don't have a barrel of cash, because I am seeing some bargains out there.

CountryBoy
11-24-2008, 12:18 PM
True- 30% of properties are in Michigan- but they are mostly in areas of Michigan where the auto manufacturers are NOT. And 70% of their properties are NOT in Michigan.

I still say it's tempting at this price. They pay a great dividend, and even if they drop from $1.85 a share to $1.00 a share, we're still looking at 4 X payout.

Food for thought, anyway.

Too bad I don't have a barrel of cash, because I am seeing some bargains out there.

James,

I can sure relate to the barrel of cash comment. I can't scrape money together fast enough. :D

CB

Birchtree
11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
If you need cash send your wife to the bank like I do - it's easy. I bought 12 stocks with money she delivered Friday evening.

James48843
11-24-2008, 02:29 PM
If you need cash send your wife to the bank like I do - it's easy. I bought 12 stocks with money she delivered Friday evening.

I am afraid that if I sent my wife to the bank with instructions to bring me home a barrel of cash, she would later send me a post card from a beach in Suoth America.....:D

CountryBoy
11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I am afraid that if I sent my wife to the bank with instructions to bring me home a barrel of cash, she would later send me a post card from a beach in Suoth America.....:D

I'm afraid I'd have the same problem, just probably the Caribean. :laugh:

CB

Jackbnimble
11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Mine would come home but she had to of stopped at Target and Walmart and the barrel would be half empty.:D

Birch & anyone else, what do you think of HUN now.

I already own some, but the downside looks to be minimal.

Birchtree
11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
I also own HUN (Huntsman Corp) and my last previous purchase was at $11.56. I bought more today as a DCAing strategy at $5.88 and I doubled my position.

Jackbnimble
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Asking you (Birch) about a stock is like asking Vanguard if they own one. You own them all. I DCA'd all the way down and have held off on my next purchase (HUN).

Birchtree
11-25-2008, 06:42 PM
I simply manage the Birchtree 325 mutual fund. In December I have around 51 companies that are paying their dividends - to me that's money working hard. There is no guarantee this market won't trend nowhere and dividend reinvestment is another way to accumulate more shares while I wait for higher highs. Stocks are a claim to a very long term stream of future cash flows.

James48843
01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Interesting invidual stock to watch: Stock Symbol: STP

Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd.

A Chinese manufacturer of solar panels. Interesting because it's already off 90% off it's high of a year and half ago.

Solar is being affected by the economic meltdown- as some projects that had been on the books are being cancelled, so there is currently an oversupply of solar panel production, pushing down prices.

But that very well may end later this year- with a new Obama Administration pushing for more solar in the future; the federal tax credit has been increased to 30% and extended for eight years; and the downturn likely forcing some consolidations in the industry.

Now trading at just over $11 a share.

Watch it for 2009. Let's see what it does.

A stock to watch.

James48843
01-01-2009, 07:51 PM

RPT- You tell me- why?

Just a side note-

I mentioned RPT as an interesting individual stock on November 23rd, at $3.72, and said I didn't know why it was so cheap.

It closed yesterday at $6.12.

I still think it's a $10 stock in the very near future, and say again- take a look at this one as one possibility for a New Year.

James48843
01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Does anyone else have suggestions for good prospect stocks for 2009?

I am setting up a mock portfolio over in Yahoo Finance, for some stocks for 2009, and am looking for suggestions.

My criteria is simply this- any stock poised for what you think could be a 50% or better return in 2009. It could be that it is oversold now, or some things in it's sector have knocked all values out of kilter, but the company itself seems solid and is a leader or high performer in it's fields. It should be listed on a major exchange- i.e. no pink sheets. Maybe it's in a field of your work, and you know something about it. Maybe it is something your Uncle Charle mentioned at the Christmas party.. Who knows?

Offer some suggestions, and I'll go do some due dilligence on the stock, and see if it should be added to my mock portfolio.

And, if you would like to compete against me, the rules are: Take a mock $10,000 of cash over to Yahoo Finance, and pick up to ten stocks, and build yourself a mock portfolio. But then you have to post the stocks you've chosen, and a brief description of WHY you are choosing that stock- what is it about that stock that perked your interest. If you add them to your mock portfolio, you don't have to say whether you put in 1 share or 1,000 shares, you just have to say that you are holding, or buying, or selling.

Oh, and I reserve the right to use your good picks in my portfolio as well. :-)

My first two added to my mock portfolio are RPT and STP.

Let's see what else we can add as interesting individual stocks.

What can you suggest, and why?

Show-me
01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
STP is a top 10 holding of the ETF TAN. When oil rebounds, solar will too.

Interesting invidual stock to watch: Stock Symbol: STP

Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd.

A Chinese manufacturer of solar panels. Interesting because it's already off 90% off it's high of a year and half ago.

Solar is being affected by the economic meltdown- as some projects that had been on the books are being cancelled, so there is currently an oversupply of solar panel production, pushing down prices.

But that very well may end later this year- with a new Obama Administration pushing for more solar in the future; the federal tax credit has been increased to 30% and extended for eight years; and the downturn likely forcing some consolidations in the industry.

Now trading at just over $11 a share.

Watch it for 2009. Let's see what it does.

A stock to watch.

CountryBoy
01-02-2009, 07:05 AM
I bought PCU in Oct for $9.71. It's at $16.06 now and I'm still adding to the position. Will it double from here? A lot depends on BHO's stimulus package, but it could if China and India get back into the game, but I feel pretty sure it'll double from where I first bought it. I'm looking for it to pull back again before it heads up in the 2nd half of 2009.

I'll probably start to sell at $20 or so, until I can play with the house's money. :D I'm more of divvy player than share price increases and infrastructure commodities have already made a run since Oct/Nov 2008. I made 39% on NUE, now I'm just waiting on a pullback on it.

Good Luck James,
CB

Gumby
01-02-2009, 09:05 AM

I am setting up a mock portfolio over in Yahoo Finance, for some stocks for 2009, and am looking for suggestions.

My criteria is simply this- any stock poised for what you think could be a 50% or better return in 2009. It could be that it is oversold now, or some things in it's sector have knocked all values out of kilter, but the company itself seems solid and is a leader or high performer in it's fields. It should be listed on a major exchange- i.e. no pink sheets. Maybe it's in a field of your work, and you know something about it. Maybe it is something your Uncle Charle mentioned at the Christmas party.. Who knows?

Offer some suggestions, and I'll go do some due dilligence on the stock, and see if it should be added to my mock portfolio.

And, if you would like to compete against me, the rules are: Take a mock $10,000 of cash over to Yahoo Finance, and pick up to ten stocks, and build yourself a mock portfolio. But then you have to post the stocks you've chosen, and a brief description of WHY you are choosing that stock- what is it about that stock that perked your interest. If you add them to your mock portfolio, you don't have to say whether you put in 1 share or 1,000 shares, you just have to say that you are holding, or buying, or selling.

I am betting on the bear.

Long on SDS, TWM, MZZ, SH

alevin
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I want to play, only a little distracted at the moment. Will come back to this.:o

love-to-bike
01-02-2009, 11:12 AM

I'm a fan of GNK - a solid shipping company that has paid some nice dividends. It is currently trading around $17 from a high of over $80 less than a year ago. It has a good reputation in the industry, I'm hoping/guessing for good things to come.

BTW, I love this thread - my hope for 2009 is it becomes more active. With the handcuffs on our TSP, I've been trading more actively in the market and love people's insights/predictions.

alevin
01-03-2009, 09:52 AM
James, rules check for our new game please.

1. Can we add new picks (up to 10 total any one time) through the year? Or do we have to stick with buy/sell/hold whatever we put into portfolio now?

2. Do ETFs count or only single stocks period?

James48843
01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
James, rules check for our new game please.

1. Can we add new picks (up to 10 total any one time) through the year? Or do we have to stick with buy/sell/hold whatever we put into portfolio now?

As many stocks as you wish, and trade whenever you wish. The initial limiting factor is the 10K investment. Note, please incorporate a standard trading broker's fee that is realistic as well. Check with an on-line broker- if it is a $10 trade fee, work that into the mix as well, both in and out, so that you have realistic contraints, please. Let's just call it a $10 flat fee each way, to make it neutral for everyone.

Just be prepared, if challenged, to show the day in and the day out in your records.

2. Do ETFs count or only single stocks period?[/quote]I had hopes to see just real stocks, rather than ETFs. But, no, I'll let you use ETFs if you like. Let's put a little damper on here, and call the ETF trade fee $20 instead of $10.

So there you have the rules. A mock $10K portfolio to start. Any stocks you like. Charge yourself a mock $10 for a stock fee, and $20 for an ETF fee.

Report out what stocks you picked, and why, and let's see how the game goes. You can have cash as much as you like at any time as well.

Good luck.

love-to-bike
01-03-2009, 04:22 PM
OK - I'm in. What I decided to do is to use my $10,000 for 5 stocks, spending approximately $2,000 per using the closing price yesterday (Jan 2, 2009). With the $10 fee, I ended up spending $9,999.16. My stock prices/shares and values are attached in a spreadsheet (mock TSP.xls). If you wish, feel free to modify or copy. I use this type of spreadsheet for several different trading accounts to track my gains/losses. One thing I like is when I change the current value of the stock price (in yellow), everything is automatically calculated. Here are the stocks I initially picked and why (note - I hold each of these stocks in various different accounts):

GNK - as mentioned earlier, this is a well run global shipping company that pays a nice dividend. For the mock, the purchase price was $17.01. A year ago it was trading a bit under $60, its high in May was over $80. Shipping isn't going away, though I'm not sure it will rebound quickly over the next year. Long term investment.

ABK - This is a stock that provides financial guarantee products and services to the public and private sectors. Got the feeling that after the beating the financial sector took this past year, there will be a rebound. A year ago this stock was trading a little below $30, I purchased this at $1.49. Not sure when the rebound will occur, hopefully soon. Another long term investment.

ENER - My favorite sector in alternative energy, though I really got spanked in the past year by my holdings here. With the new administration, I think there will be a rebound here. ENER has treated me well in the past (they mainly deal with storage and conversion), they are currently trading at $27.80, a year ago it was around $35 before it went to a high of $80 in June and September.

WWAT - Another alternative energy stock (solar energy), it is now at $.32, a year ago it was around $2.00. This is a riskier stock, gotta through one of these into the mix. This one is more of a short term holding, I'll dump it if it starts to move much one way or another.

AA - OK, I have to throw one blue chip in her. Alcoa is mostly a producer and fabricator of aluminum products. A year ago they were trading a bit below $40, they are currently trading at $12.11. I'm expecting this to rebound - it is a long time holder and hopefully will do well over the next year.

James48843
01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Love-to-bike-

One problem- WWAT is not listed on a major exchange- its a pink sheet OB stock.

The rule was -
It should be listed on a major exchange- i.e. no pink sheets.

Please try again for that one.

thanks

James48843
01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
GNK- Nice find. I may add it to my portfolio as well. Looks interesting.

ABK- Man, you got an exotic one there. I'll spend some time researching it further, but it already looks like toxicity to me. I'll try and figure out exactly what they actually do. But I'll give you great credit for the idea of jumping into a bath of acid. We'll see.

ENER- Nice. But it will depend entirely on whether they can stay profitable in 2009. I plugged that one into my daily charts to start watching. The headquarters is in the town where I went to college. I know of the facilities they have recently agreed to build. Should be a good year for them - IF the economy turns around at all. They are well positioned for the Obama Administration- the key will be if the economy continues to massively tank, OR if the economy starts to turn around. If it turns around this year, then I think this will be a prime mover for the future.

AA- The only thing that bugs me about Alcoa is -- here is a company that posted a 26.8% decline in sales for the quarter; next year is expected to have an additional 20% sales decline, earnings growth is expected to be a negative -87.8%

And how is the CEO rewarded for such numbers?
Pay- $ 4.46M Bonuses : $ 24.44M

Arrrggg. That kills me.

Anyway- nice picks. Like I say- take a look at the pink sheeted one, and see if there is something else out there that is on a major exchange you can trade for that one.

thanks

love-to-bike
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
OK - sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention. For that, I'm going to replace WWAT with coal: KOL. Trading now at $16.27, a year ago around $40 with a yearly high near $60. Tracks the coal industry, I'm hoping for a good return. My revised spreadsheet is attached.

Show-me
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
TAN is a solar that has James STP as a top 10 holding, solar will come back when oil does.

roskopfm
01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
best place to invest is Zecco Trading. 10 free trades per month. I got four accounts a Roth and regualar account for me, and the same for my wife. I can trade each accout 10 free times a month and never pay anything to trade. Best deal out there. After 10 its something like $6 a trade. You should check it out.

Bullitt
01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Bike,

I think AA is your best pick. Any commodity producing stock will lead the next turnaround and AA is a market leader. Look at the way AA has formed a 3 month basing on good volume. Pivot price of 12.50, watch for the handle to form on that cup and then it's on to the advancing stage. With no resistance until 25, you could have a double on your hands.

Good one.

Bullitt
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
AA- The only thing that bugs me about Alcoa is -- here is a company that posted a 26.8% decline in sales for the quarter; next year is expected to have an additional 20% sales decline, earnings growth is expected to be a negative -87.8%

Very low expectations to live up to makes it easier to beat the numbers.

Disclosure: I do not own AA.

poolman
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
best place to invest is Zecco Trading. 10 free trades per month. I got four accounts a Roth and regualar account for me, and the same for my wife. I can trade each accout 10 free times a month and never pay anything to trade. Best deal out there. After 10 its something like $6 a trade. You should check it out.

I checked out Zecco, Read the comments going down the page. It sounds like there customer service sucks. Not for me. Now I will check out Scottrade.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2007/05/zecco-free-trades-broker-review-part-2-corrections-funds-transfers-and-trading-experiences.html#comment-86066

CountryBoy
01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I checked out Zecco, Read the comments going down the page. It sounds like there customer service sucks. Not for me. Now I will check out Scottrade.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2007/05/zecco-free-trades-broker-review-part-2-corrections-funds-transfers-and-trading-experiences.html#comment-86066

Poolman,

I've heard good things about Scottrade, I use Sharebuilder and have no complaints at all about the customer service. Just another data point. :D

CB

poolman
01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Poolman,

I've heard good things about Scottrade, I use Sharebuilder and have no complaints at all about the customer service. Just another data point. :D

CB

Hey CB, Thank's for the input. What is Sharebuilder ?

CountryBoy
01-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey CB, Thank's for the input. What is Sharebuilder ?

Poolman,

It's an online brokerage service that you can purchase individual stocks or ETF's, but no Mutuals. I have 2 ROTH's and 2 indivdual accounts, plus they also have traditional IRA's. They have different investing plans depending on how often you invest, plus you can sell/buy realtime whenever you want.

http://www.sharebuilder.com/

It fit the bill for me.

CB

poolman
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Poolman,

It's an online brokerage service that you can purchase individual stocks or ETF's, but no Mutuals. I have 2 ROTH's and 2 indivdual accounts, plus they also have traditional IRA's. They have different investing plans depending on how often you invest, plus you can sell/buy realtime whenever you want.

http://www.sharebuilder.com/

It fit the bill for me.

CB

Thanks CB, This look's very interesting to me. It seem's that I can roll over my 401K without penalty.

CountryBoy
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks CB, This look's very interesting to me. It seem's that I can roll over my 401K without penalty.

Your welcome Poolman,

Just give them a call and they'll be happy to help you and answer your questions. They've always been helpful and friendly when I call and I called them alot, especially when I first was getting started a couple of years ago.

Good Luck,
CB

love-to-bike
01-06-2009, 01:56 PM
James,

Since you started the discussion of creating a $10k 2009 portfolio, what do you think of asking the powers that be if we can have a separate thread on this? This current thread will have a lot of different types of postings, it would be nice (IMHO) to have one dedicated to your 10K game.

poolman
01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Your welcome Poolman,

Just give them a call and they'll be happy to help you and answer your questions. They've always been helpful and friendly when I call and I called them alot, especially when I first was getting started a couple of years ago.

Good Luck,
CB

Thanks for your advice CB... I've got the Ball rolling. I'm transferring a simple IRA to Sharebuilder. It will probably take a week to get done but I like what I see. I'm now in the process of changing ownership of my IRA at Fidelity to just me. Boss has to sign off on it. Already talked to Boss, He will do it tomorrow.

Thanks.:)

Davehop21
01-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I have just finished following Birchtree in his belief that this is the rally we have been waiting for. I have purchased the following for my son. Here are his positions and we will pick the weakest each month to add 300 dollars to.

AA 33 @12.10
MO 19@ 15.56
PFE 18 @17.90

Just my opinion but I hope we do have a long slow recover which will allow him to accumulate many shares before he graduates college.

Dave at VA

love-to-bike
01-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I have just finished following Birchtree in his belief that this is the rally we have been waiting for. I have purchased the following for my son. Here are his positions and we will pick the weakest each month to add 300 dollars to.

AA 33 @12.10
MO 19@ 15.56
PFE 18 @17.90

Just my opinion but I hope we do have a long slow recover which will allow him to accumulate many shares before he graduates college.

Dave at VA
What a great dad!

Gumby
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
What a great dad!

I agree.
I have my 16 yr old daugther a Roth IRA. Whatever she makes from her job and invests, I match it.
I have been buying AEE for her.:) Of course we are looking at a very long term horizon. AEE yields about 8%

Birchtree
01-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Ameren Corp is a good choice - I've owned it all the way back in 4/03/00. The dividend reinvestments have been simply excellent. I recently added to my position on 10/13/08 at $30.94. Nibble and graze - diversify rather than feast. The financial markets always rally dramatically following any true bottom, so that those who panicked on the way down are punished rather than rewarded. I don't think we will even retest the Nov. 20th lows.

eccougar
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
For my IRA account, on December 28, I added Dow and Mo.
Dow was up over 6% today, but a little concerned over the Kuwait deal.
If you have several stocks, funds and use Excel, you can get the "MSN stock quote add on" and with one click, it will update all your prices.
=msnstockquote(cell,"last price")

CountryBoy
01-07-2009, 05:58 AM

AA 33 @12.10
MO 19@ 15.56
PFE 18 @17.90

Dave at VA

I have mixed feelings on the long slow recovery, personally I would prefer a faster one, but I sure don't see it this year. A lot of people are really suffering, but we might as well take advantage of the fire sale on stocks and add to our ROTH's. My daughter has had her ROTH for over 2 years, 21 yo now, and she can't add to it quick enough, as can either my wife or me on our ROTH's.

CB

Davehop21
01-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I would be panicked now but it looks like AA may move back up to a resonable price today. Wish I had known I could have bought more share this morning and probably made a nice profit but it won't matter in 4 years anyway. I have to get used to just leaving it alone and take advantage of the best price each month for the next 4 years.

alevin
01-07-2009, 10:42 PM
If you have several stocks, funds and use Excel, you can get the "MSN stock quote add on" and with one click, it will update all your prices.

Ok, that was a value-add bit of information for me, thanks eccougar! I had no idea I could do things that way, been doing things the hard way. Partly why its taking me so long to pick out my most likely stocks for this li'l contest. I'll have it narrowed down to first 1-5 by this weekend probably once I figure out the add-on.

I already downloaded it, just got to figure out now how to make it do its thing in Excel. I'll get there. Once I do, look out, I'm going to have a winning [mock]portfolio. :D I don't have enough real free cash or flow to buy more than 1 stock every 6 months, maybe in 4 years time I'll have the real portfolio stocked up. Or maybe I'll join Sharebuilders after all. Still thinking about that one.

eccougar
01-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Click on price of a stock and note the formula in your toolbar.
Also note the formula for the date, it will automatically update to today's date.
The date formula is: =today()

eccougar
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Better example. 5385

love-to-bike
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
For my IRA account, on December 28, I added Dow and Mo.
Dow was up over 6% today, but a little concerned over the Kuwait deal.
Thanks eccougar - this saves lots of time! I downloaded it from the Microsoft site, works well!

roskopfm
01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
A great company I own with a lot of upside is FWLT. Constuction will rise with Obama's spendaholic mentality. Its got a sold balance sheet and 18 months of work planned out.

roskopfm
01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks eccougar - this saves lots of time! I downloaded it from the Microsoft site, works well!

The add in doesnt work with VISTA, I just tried it and the web confirmed it. Thanks anyway.

XL-entLady
01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
The add in doesnt work with VISTA, I just tried it and the web confirmed it. Thanks anyway.
NOTHING works with Vista! Gah-h-h! Now even Bill Gates is going to abandon Vista and where does that leave us people that he strong-armed into buying this rotten operating system, huh??!:mad:

(Can you tell I feel strongly about this OS? :rolleyes:) Hijack over.... Now back to the stocks. :toung:

Lady

roskopfm
01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I agree.
I have my 16 yr old daugther a Roth IRA. Whatever she makes from her job and invests, I match it.
I have been buying AEE for her.:) Of course we are looking at a very long term horizon. AEE yields about 8%

Gumby
Good for you, but you cant contribute more than her gross wages. So for example she makes only 4000, the most that can be contributed to her account is that 4000.

eccougar
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I have Vista on my desktop and laptop, both work fine with msn stockquote.
Under tools, look for add ins and check the analysis toolpak, and see if it is listed.

Gumby
01-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Gumby
Good for you, but you cant contribute more than her gross wages. So for example she makes only 4000, the most that can be contributed to her account is that 4000.

She saves 25 to 50 % of her net which I match. She just works part time so the limits have not been a problem.....yet anyway.:)

James48843
04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Interesting stocks to watch on Monday-

Watch these:

Roch Holdings.... stock symbol RO.SW on Yahoo, is the maker of "TAMAFLU", an anti-flu treament.

GLAXO SMITH KLIEN, stock symbol GSK. Also maker of flu vacines.

With all the adverse publicity this weekend on "Swine Flu", I would say that Monday these stocks will both have significant gains.

Let's watch what happens.

Current Friday close prices:

RO.SW= $148.40

GSK= $29.34

Let's see how much that jumps on monday on the swine flu hysteria.

Bullitt
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
I wonder how many call options of those Pharma companies Goldman Sachs bought Last week. Think about it.

James48843
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Interesting stocks to watch on Monday-

Watch these:

Roch Holdings.... stock symbol RO.SW on Yahoo, is the maker of "TAMAFLU", an anti-flu treament.

GLAXO SMITH KLIEN, stock symbol GSK. Also maker of flu vacines.

With all the adverse publicity this weekend on "Swine Flu", I would say that Monday these stocks will both have significant gains.

Let's watch what happens.

Current Friday close prices:

RO.SW= $148.40

GSK= $29.34

Let's see how much that jumps on monday on the swine flu hysteria.

Monday after hours-
GSK now up to $ 31.99

RO.SW now up to +$157.10

Watch for more higher over the next few days as people become aware.

Bullitt
05-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Leave the politics out of it as I'm as disgusted as everyone else over this disaster, but opportunity knocks.

What are your thoughts on BP? Current Dividend yield is 7.7% and the stock is down 30% from it's high. Question is, will they cut the dividend?

Morningstar.com (a great service) just lowered it's economic moat to 'Narrow' and lowered it's buy target to $29.

CountryBoy
05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Leave the politics out of it as I'm as disgusted as everyone else over this disaster, but opportunity knocks.

What are your thoughts on BP? Current Dividend yield is 7.7% and the stock is down 30% from it's high. Question is, will they cut the dividend?

Morningstar.com (a great service) just lowered it's economic moat to 'Narrow' and lowered it's buy target to $29.

I have BP in my portfolio and I'm buying some today and will continue to buy. They are also I believe the second biggest nat gas producer. Plus I like the divvy. They are going thru a bad time right now, no doubt about that, but with the new CEO they hired, I believe last year, they have really started to turn things around. Accidents happen and there is not alot you can say about it or do.

As far as cutting their Divvy, who knows, but I haven't read or heard anything about that, but it is a concern of mine also, since I purchase 75% of my stocks in my portfolio are there for there Divvies. But I'm still buying, I'm going to bet that they won't cut, but they may not raise for a year or 2.

Good Luck,

CB

EDIT: a litt more info http://seekingalpha.com/article/206720-bp-has-boosted-profitability-in-upstream-operations-under-current-management?source=email

James48843
05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
New product offering-

Get this- CHEESE futures!

CHICAGO, May 5, 2010 – CME Group, the world’s leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today announced the launch of Cheese futures and options (http://www.cmegroup.com/cheese) on futures. The cash-settled contracts will be available on CME Globex (http://www.cmegroup.com/globex/index.html)®, the exchange’s electronic trading platform, with trading scheduled to begin on June 20, 2010, for trade date June 21. These contracts will be listed by and subject to the rules and regulations of CME.

“This contract was requested by our customers such as manufacturers and processors of cheese to better fit the needs of their risk profile,” said Tim Andriesen, CME Group Managing Director of Agricultural Commodities. “Many of these customers already participate in our Class III Milk (http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/commodities/dairy/class-iii-milk.html) and Dry Whey (http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/commodities/dairy/dry-whey.html) futures and options markets. The new Cheese contracts will enable them to directly lock in future prices for cheese.”

Cheese is made from Class III milk. Dry whey is a byproduct of processing the milk into cheese. Manufacturers, processors, food companies and others have used the Class III contract to meet their hedging needs since 1996 and the Dry Whey futures contract launched in 2007. The Cheese futures will complete the “dairy crush” with which the original commodity as well as its product and byproducts can be hedged.

The new contracts will be listed monthly with each contract representing the equivalent of 20,000 pounds of cheese and the tick size of $0.001 per pound. Trading hours are Sunday through Thursday, 5:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Chicago time, and Friday until 1:55 p.m., with daily trading halts from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. For more information, please www.cmegroup.com/cheese (http://www.cmegroup.com/cheese).

James48843
06-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Tesla Motors opening day IPO. Stock up 40%.

Symbol TSLA. Closed at $23.89, up 40.53%.

Note: I think it's going to tank relatively soon. It's a money loser, and although they've been selling cars for a few years, they have only delivered a total of around 1,000 cars. Nothing like doing mass production. If they can't make any money at $109,000 a car, it will be hard to see them make money at $50,000 a car. We'll see. I wish them well- but Ford stock may very well be the better long-term investment.

James48843
06-30-2010, 11:06 AM
TSLA up more. Now at $29.47.

That's not right. Need to play the flip side now, and clean up. I'm thinking it's time to Short TSLA here.

crws
06-30-2010, 11:58 AM
No BS:laugh:

New product offering-

Get this- CHEESE futures!

SWAVET
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Check out ENER at $4.24 and expect will going up to $5.50 - $6.00. I'm invest energy to replace oil spill (BP).

James48843
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
TSLA up more. Now at $29.47.

That's not right. Need to play the flip side now, and clean up. I'm thinking it's time to Short TSLA here.

TSLA falling through the floor today. Now down to $19.64 and falling. Shorting is the right thing to do.

tsptalk
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Nice James! I hope you were on board both ways.

Bullitt
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Jeez, thanks for pointing that out. I know TSLA went up like a 2000 IPO, but look at it drop. I guess the ones selling are the ones who got free shares from the IPO party and were too stupid to unload at the open on day 1.

Yeti206
08-12-2010, 03:16 AM
GFRE - Gulf Resources Inc

Good growth, good net profit, good returns. The company has exclusive rights to bromine fields in China, bromine being the majority of their revenue. Considering that the global markets as a whole are about to take a dive, I may hold out on this stock before I buy low for a potentially long position. Their quarterly is coming out soon and you bet I'll be keeping a close eye on them.

SWAVET
08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Out ENER two days ago at $5.50 & today is back down to $4.37. Try out FAS at $19.97:rolleyes:.

Scout333
08-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Anyone interested in Annaly Capital Management (NLY)? REIT with a high dividend rate at least to date. Lives on the interest spread. current quarter not doing so well earnings wise due to early Mortgage payoffs by Fannie and Freddie. Should be a temporary phenomenon as long as interest rates are low. As always invest at your own risk and do your own research.

Jackbnimble
08-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Scout, I have been in and out of AGNC in that MREIT space. Right now I am out. I think they could announce another equity offering and they always do it mid quarter for a discount to what the stock is trading at. I have not ever been invested in NLY, but it is an interesting sector. With stable rates for the foreseeable future, these high payouts seem manageable by the companies.

GL

Steel_Magnolia
08-29-2010, 03:18 AM
I just noticed that McDonalds Corporation (MCD) has been moving up nicely ever since October 2009. Makes sense. These days "going out to dinner" means grabbing a cheeseburger happy meal. ;)

So how late to the party am I on MCD? Comments?

Maggie

tsptalk
08-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow, nice chart! I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but for anyone else listening...

If you are a technical analyst, you might just wait for the chart to consolidate, although the recent breakout is pretty fresh. There is good support between 71.5 and 72, 70, 65, and 61.

If you are into the fundamentals you may want to compare the historical price to earnings ratios with the current P/E to let you know if it is still a bargain or not.

KevinD
08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Merlin Rothfeld is the host of Power Trading Radio (http://www.tradingacademy.com/radio/default.aspx). At the end of each broadcast he has the "power pick of the day" which he outlines on his blog (http://blog.tradingacademy.com/).

On 8-13 the PowerPick was MFE (http://powertradingblog.com/blog/powerpick-of-the-day-8-13-2010-mfe). He probably just got lucky but look what happened on 8-19. His stop was at $29.45.

kodaq2001
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
i'm starting to get interested in the stock market since i've been doing well with my tsp. i looked at all the stocks and there are too many to choose from...how do you know what to buy?

tsptalk
09-17-2010, 09:20 AM
i'm starting to get interested in the stock market since i've been doing well with my tsp. i looked at all the stocks and there are too many to choose from...how do you know what to buy?
I have been mainly trading ETFs as you can mirror your TSP account for the most part, but you can get more aggressive (more moves, more choices, etc.) Check out www.etftalk.com (http://www.etftalk.com). It's quiet over there but there a lot of info posted on the forum (http://www.etftalk.com/forum). Good luck!

Birchtree
09-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Start with a company that has a product you are familiar with and like - that's the easiest way to get started. Otherwise, you can throw a dart at a financial page - that's called random walk theory. I usually let my financial adviser, Mindylou, pick my stocks.

Jackbnimble
09-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Birch is right about the Buffet understand what you are investing in. First you have to know what your goals are (income, capital appreciation, etc). Then find the stocks that fit with your goals. Google Finance has a nice stock research tool. Yahoo Finance has good industry information. Then drill down from there.
I always try to pick the best or second best company in the industry. You may pay a premium, but they are generally run well and over time they tend to outperform their peers.
Just my 2 cents.

Scout333
10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Ford 's UAW contract vote is looking positive.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-17/ford-vote-reversal-avoids-strike-while-union-adds-members-cars.html?cmpid=yhoo

Scout333
10-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Ford UAW Contract was approved today.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AUTOS_CONTRACT_TALKS_FORD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-18-20-27-36

Scout333
12-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I've been out of the loop lately, has anyone noticed Ford's dividend announcement? Not a big one (only .05 per share quarterly) but a start:)

Birchtree
12-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, I own a nice block of F. The dividend will most likely be increased yearly from now on.

James48843
01-27-2012, 05:55 AM
Take a look at:
Guidewire Software, Inc. Common (GWRE)
Went IPO day before yesterday at 13. I know someone who works for them. Could be a very nice future.

Traded yesterday at 17.34.

I think it is worth watching it. Could be interesting.

James48843
09-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Take a look at:
Guidewire Software, Inc. Common (GWRE)

Went IPO day before yesterday at 13. I know someone who works for them. Could be a very nice future.

Traded yesterday at 17.34.

I think it is worth watching it. Could be interesting.

Just a note:

I picked Guidewire back in 2012 at 17. Told my sister about it. She bought heavily.

She called me yesterday to say that Guidewire had just crossed 110.

(AAARRGGHHH- WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO MYSELF??)

tsptalk
09-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Homerun, Jim!! At least you helped your sister.

James48843
01-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Here are some interesting individual stocks I came across yesterday that I want to learn more about and start watching:
All cap over a billion dollars, and all with positive earnings/& dividends.

Stock Symbols:

EVRAZ - a Russian steel company, called EVRAZ plc website: https://www.evraz.com/en/investors/
- headquarters in London, United Kingdom. It has operations mainly in Russia, but also in Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Italy, Czech Republic, the United States, Canada and South Africa.. I t caught my eye because it has a SIGNIFICANT DIVIDEND, and great margins.

VEDL - appears to be Indian minerals and oil. Caught my eye because it has a profit margin, and a dividend of over 10%. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VEDL/key-statistics?p=VEDL&.tsrc=fin-srch

MFA - a real estate REIT, with a MORE THAN 10% dividend history, and a profit margin showing as over 70%. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MFA/key-statistics?p=MFA&.tsrc=fin-srch

I don't know anything about any of these companies, all three looked interesting to me, so I am initiating due diligence to learn more about them, and see how they may, or might/ fit into my portfolio.

TommyIV
01-15-2020, 05:41 PM
I too like MFA because of its consistent dividends and its lower than average D/E ratio (279%) for its industry (366%). However, because of the nature of its business, its giving a majority of its profits back to its investors so the market price seems to be capped. But I guess that's what makes it dividend friendly. Would of liked to buy it a year ago when it price was discounted.

James48843
02-27-2020, 02:47 AM
Watch this one- Gilead Sciences , Symbol is GILD

They have initiated 3rd phase Human clinical trials of an Ebola anti-viral drug on Covid-19 patients over the next 15 days. If it works, they stand to make alot of money on it.
it is trading today at about $74.70 a share, up about 20% in the last three days of trading.

Details: https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/news/us-trial-gilead-remdesivir-covid-19/

Steel_Magnolia
12-23-2020, 08:26 PM
Is anyone but me invested in MELI, MercadoLibre? Not cheap by any means, but probably my favorite position right now.

Maggie

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

tsptalk
12-23-2020, 09:14 PM
Never even heard of it, but what a chart! Triple bagger this year. Nice.

Bullitt
12-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Not sure what your time frame is, but there was big buying by one of the directors of MELI in mid-March. That director has not yet sold those shares.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1099590/000110465920034899/xslF345X03/tm2013040d1_form4.xml

Bullitt
01-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Disney looking like a pullback to at least the 50 is possible. Momentum waning.

James48843
02-25-2021, 02:09 PM
Interesting individual stock: AirBNB

AirBNB will be reporting earnings today, for the very first time. They became publicly traded in an IPO in December, so this will be the first time ever they have had to report earnings.

Nobody knows what it will be- their IPO was a jump from $45 preIPO, to triple that number within a few days. Today it stands around $181 a share, off its high of over $219 a share earlier this month.

It’s a heck of a gamble- but it is either going to jump, or fall, after earnings are released today after the closing bell.

If I had a ton of cash (which I do not), I would probably short the stock myself today. I think earnings will be interesting, but I really think it will be a case of sell on the news, and a fall over the next 24 hours.

No reason why, just a gut feeling. If I could short it, I’d short it right now at $181 a share, and see where we are tomorrow. But that is just me.

You decide. Take a look.

AirBNB,

stock symbol: ABNB

Good luck out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TSP Talk Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=74921)

TommyIV
02-25-2021, 02:58 PM
Interesting individual stock: AirBNB

AirBNB will be reporting earnings today, for the very first time. They became publicly traded in an IPO in December, so this will be the first time ever they have had to report earnings.

Nobody knows what it will be- their IPO was a jump from $45 preIPO, to triple that number within a few days. Today it stands around $181 a share, off its high of over $219 a share earlier this month.

It’s a heck of a gamble- but it is either going to jump, or fall, after earnings are released today after the closing bell.

If I had a ton of cash (which I do not), I would probably short the stock myself today. I think earnings will be interesting, but I really think it will be a case of sell on the news, and a fall over the next 24 hours.

No reason why, just a gut feeling. If I could short it, I’d short it right now at $181 a share, and see where we are tomorrow. But that is just me.

You decide. Take a look.

AirBNB,

stock symbol: ABNB

Good luck out there.

You could always buy some put options for a cheap price and sell their premiums for a quick gain. If you expect a big move in either direction it could be a low risk buy with a potential promising gain. Next time

James48843
02-25-2021, 03:36 PM
AirBNB reports- earnings far above expectations.

$859 million reported, vs. $739 million expected.

Stock price jumps$4 a share in after-hours trading.

Well, I guess that’s why I’m not rich, isn’t it?

Bullitt
02-25-2021, 04:38 PM
Longer term prospects for ABNB look favorable. The company itself has placed all the risk on individual ABNB'ers using their residence as lodging so they aren't losing money like other hotels right now. They really picked a bad time to IPO though, and the stock is very overpriced according to earnings which is no different from every other electric car/clean energy/most tech stocks right now.

Bullish case also says people will be more willing to use this as a form of income after losing their job during the pandemic, or just seeking additional income and don't want to drive a Lyft.

Bearish case is a big one. It's a niche thing and staying in an ABNB isn't for everybody. Most people would rather stay at a place that offers shuttles to the airport, access to key areas, and a name brand standard (Marriott).

James48843
04-04-2021, 11:52 PM
Ok- can someone please tell me WHY Pfizer is so cheap right now?

Symbol PFE. It’s going for $36.

It was that price a year ago.

Pfizer is making a bundle on Covid vaccine- I mean like a Huuuge bundle. And that is going to keep going for a long time.

And last week Pfizer mentioned that it now has the technology to make Covid type vaccines. And it’s like the leading provider in the world- ahead of all the others, both time wise and success wise.

So tell me- why is this still a $36 stock and not a $200 stock right now? It’s got a forward PE of 12. Twelve! And it’s paying almost a 5% dividend. What am I missing that this is only a $36 stock?

tsptalk
04-05-2021, 12:59 AM
Interesting. Not sure, but I did see that 2021 earnings are estimates at 3.33 / share, and 2022 are are 3.04. that's not something to be excited about.

2020 was 2.58 so there was some growth for sure.

Khotso
04-05-2021, 09:23 AM
Ok- can someone please tell me WHY Pfizer is so cheap right now?

Symbol PFE. It’s going for $36.

It was that price a year ago.

Pfizer is making a bundle on Covid vaccine- I mean like a Huuuge bundle. And that is going to keep going for a long time.

And last week Pfizer mentioned that it now has the technology to make Covid type vaccines. And it’s like the leading provider in the world- ahead of all the others, both time wise and success wise.

So tell me- why is this still a $36 stock and not a $200 stock right now? It’s got a forward PE of 12. Twelve! And it’s paying almost a 5% dividend. What am I missing that this is only a $36 stock?

Maybe it has something to do with its size (market capitalization) relative to Moderna, BioNtech? It's among the largest corporations in the world market cap-wise. So maybe it's vaccine profits are relatively small compared to its value and other profits?

jonfresno
04-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Maybe it has something to do with its size (market capitalization) relative to Moderna, BioNtech? It's among the largest corporations in the world market cap-wise. So maybe it's vaccine profits are relatively small compared to its value and other profits?

Pure speculation here, but maybe a bunch of their drugs are about to be eligible for generic and they'll lose that revenue stream?

Bullitt
04-05-2021, 11:37 AM
First, everything about covid vaccines has been factored in since April 2020. Consider that Warren Buffet opened a position in PFE in 3Q 2020 only to exit completely in the next quarter. He did maintain his MRK, TEVA, JNJ holdings though.

PFE had large dividend hikes in 2019 and 2020. It's payout ratio is currently 120% which means they are using debt to make the dividend payment.

Either they lower their debt or cut the dividend.

In 2020, XOM ended up making all kinds of cuts, including cutting 401k matches just to maintain their dividend. At the time it was around 8%+ and the payout ratio was north of 400% where it still stands today. Unless earnings turn around, both PFE and XOM dividends are unsustainable.

Cutting dividends is always a risk when buying dividend stocks and is inherently bearish.

SWAVET
04-13-2021, 10:28 AM
Anyone still own MARA - Congratulations!
from $.38 to current over $57 within a year
I get out way to early :(.

bmneveu
04-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Anyone still own MARA - Congratulations!
from $.38 to current over $57 within a year
I get out way to early :(.

Nope but I'm in plenty that feel like they are heading down to $0.38!

Kidding, sort of. Stocks only go up, right?!

James48843
09-15-2021, 11:17 PM
My son recently started working for Tractor Supply Company (TSCO).

They seem to have good, solid growth and a clear path ahead. It’s currently trading at $205 a share and the dividend is $2 a share.

I’m thinking I’ll hold for a bit- What say you?

TSCO $205.07 (-0.09%) on Yahoo Finance https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TSCO?p=TSCO

tsptalk
09-16-2021, 12:24 AM
TSCO: Great looking chart but it would be hard to buy near this all time high.

Bullitt
09-16-2021, 08:09 AM
I like the company, not the stock at this price. Like LOW and HD, they've ridden the housing renovation boom during the COVID stimulus and that momentum is starting to cool.

Fundamentals, it's ROE is very good, but all value metrics are at 5-year or more highs.

Chart standpoint, the technicals are very strong, but I'd wait for a pullback to buy in. The most recent buy price was around $195.

James48843
11-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Interesting individual stock: another vaccine maker.

Novavax ( Symbol NVAX) is a newer company expecting to get a go ahead from a number of countries for a new Covid-19 vaccine.

Currently trading at $163 a share, it’s been all over the place for the last year. They expect to begin getting an emergency use authorization for Indonesia before the end of the year, and expect to ship 2 BILLION doses by the end of 2022. It has the potential to become a major player a a few month to a year from now.

Worth a long shot at $163 current price. What do you think?

More: NVAX $163.76 (-3.27%) on Yahoo Finance https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NVAX?p=NVAX

James48843
11-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Here is a sector I am currently playing in- travel.

I’m currently invested in Blue Green Vacation Holdings (symbol BHV) ($30.93 today).

BHV is a time share company- they got hit hard by Covid, but are bouncing back nicely. Looks like people are traveling again, and time shares might be selling better than hotel rooms this time around.

Also I own shares of Choice Hotels (symbol CHH). They’ve been doing above average for the market sector , and they are one of the few Hotel chains that pay a dividend. Currently priced around $147.80 a share.

CHH $147.80 (-2.15%) on Yahoo Finance https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CHH?p=CHH

Enjoy.

What’s in your wallet/account?

James48843
02-05-2022, 01:49 AM
Another individual stock I think is about to pop big.

Check out ESMT , which is Engagesmart LLC. It’s a software application company/ data management co. I understand it, but I can’t really explain it well to others, so you please do your research.

I think it’s about to pop, because it’s a very recent IPO, it has had only one quarter of earnings data published, and it’s about to show what I think will be an unexpected positive cash flow and profitability.

The earnings date is Feb 15, so all bets have to be in before that. It’s currently trading at just over $20 a share.

I THINK (maybe 70% certain) that earnings are going to surprise big, that year over year growth is going to be like 50%, which will be higher than expected. And that is going to reset expectations going forward.

I am thinking it’s likely to jump 20% to 25% in value in the next 14 days.

But then again, I could be wrong, and it might just tank.

Just saying- take a good hard look at the back story, and the earnings date of Feb 15.

Stock symbol: ESMT.

I’m looking closely at it. No guarantees, but it intrigues me at this exact moment in time.

Blue Horseshoe is fond of ESMT.

Epic
02-07-2022, 10:05 AM
I have no idea what I'm talking about BUT .............
Trumps Social Media site "TRUTH" set to Launch on the 12th (This Saturday)
DWACU, DWAC, DWACW could possibly pump big time this week right before.
All 3 were up while the rest of the market was tanking.
*CAUTION* These are SPAC stocks. Risky. :eek:

Epic
02-07-2022, 06:16 PM
DWAC Update:
I heard rumors of the Launch date being pushed back. I now am seeing Feb. 21st.
All 3 (DWAC, DWACU, and DWACW) were pumping today. All around 12%, but they all dropped like everything else did at end of day. WEIRD. I was ahead on them about 4K for the day, then it all went away ..... LOL
PHUN (who's tied into this also, but I forgot about) made 16% today only to fall back slightly after the close, but still was green for the day. CFVI is also tied into this, but I forgot how.
Anyway, gonna buy me some PHUN tomorrow, and hold my others. I'm confident it will pump again the closer we get to Launch Date.
I can only imagine all the EX-Facebook people needing a new place to go. https://truthsocial.com/

James48843
02-07-2022, 08:22 PM
DWAC Update:
I heard rumors of the Launch date being pushed back. I now am seeing Feb. 21st.
All 3 (DWAC, DWACU, and DWACW) were pumping today. All around 12%, but they all dropped like everything else did at end of day. WEIRD. I was ahead on them about 4K for the day, then it all went away ..... LOL
PHUN (who's tied into this also, but I forgot about) made 16% today only to fall back slightly after the close, but still was green for the day. CFVI is also tied into this, but I forgot how.
Anyway, gonna buy me some PHUN tomorrow, and hold my others. I'm confident it will pump again the closer we get to Launch Date.
I can only imagine all the EX-Facebook people needing a new place to go. https://truthsocial.com/

This article says MAYBE by the end of March. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/07/trump-spac-stock-digital-world-acquisition-corp-plunges-on-delay-news.html

But you know what? They don’t even have the right employees to build it yet. The only name so far is Devine Nunes, who, face it, couldn’t get a cow to stop tweeting.

I wouldn’t bank too heavily on any success in DWAC. Once again, the snake oil salesman is pulling your chain.

Now, it DoES have potential as a big short….

James48843
02-07-2022, 08:35 PM
What is really interesting to me is the small print. The site says it is going to collect AND SELL personal information of users, including Social Security numbers, drivers license numbers, and passport information.. AND your complete browsing history. Ugh! I hate corporations that make their money off you that way.

I won’t be signing up.

James48843
02-07-2022, 08:45 PM
Note: Pfizer earning report expected tomorrow. Street expects $7.85 in earnings. It better beat that by a healthy margin.

Epic
02-08-2022, 08:43 AM
This article says MAYBE by the end of March. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/07/trump-spac-stock-digital-world-acquisition-corp-plunges-on-delay-news.html

But you know what? They don’t even have the right employees to build it yet. The only name so far is Devine Nunes, who, face it, couldn’t get a cow to stop tweeting.

I wouldn’t bank too heavily on any success in DWAC. Once again, the snake oil salesman is pulling your chain.

Now, it DoES have potential as a big short….

I totally agree. It's not a long term thing for me. Just hoping to catch it when it rockets up. Also, I don't do "social media" stuff. Not signing up either. I stay out of it. It's just safer that way. LOL
I just happened to throw some $$ at DWAC as it was first taking off, and it was strictly and total LUCK that I did so. I checked at the end of the day, and it had shot up like 100%. I was shocked.
I didn't check it the following day, but did the day after (stupid me, I'm an idiot). It fell back like 26%, but I still made about 8K off of that. That's really good for me. I'm hoping to replicate that, but get out before it falls this time.

tsptalk
02-08-2022, 08:51 AM
What is really interesting to me is the small print. The site says it is going to collect AND SELL personal information of users, including Social Security numbers, drivers license numbers, and passport information.. AND your complete browsing history. Ugh! I hate corporations that make their money off you that way.

I won’t be signing up.

I would hate that too, so I checked and nowhere in their privacy policy does it state that.

https://truthsocial.com/privacy-policy

But there is a separate California privacy policy for some reason that says they are complying with CA laws. (which was edited out in your post where it says that)

https://www.truthsocial.com/ccpa-privacy-policy/

https://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/2022/020722h.gif

Again, I'm not sure why California has it's own privacy policy, but that's what you posted (and I don't believe you live in CA.) https://www.oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa

By the way, I see Facebook and Twitter have the same legalese policy to comply with CA's laws.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/policy/ccpa

https://privacy.twitter.com/en/ccpa

I won’t be signing up.

You're in luck. There's no mandate. :D

And this is why we don't like to talk politics here. :09:

Now back to Interesting individual stocks.