PDA

View Full Version : Thrilled to be here.

chassa
10-25-2006, 12:29 AM
I started contributing into my TSP account 2/06 and by mid-next week I am expecting 2 direct rollovers to deposit into my TSP account. If possible, I could use a little guidance on how I should allocate these contributions. :eek:

THANKS 4 THE
GREAT SITE!

atcsat64
10-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Good to have you here, Tony! How long till planned retirement?

Gilligan
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the message board!

Spaf
10-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I started contributing into my TSP account 2/06 and by mid-next week I am expecting 2 direct rollovers to deposit into my TSP account. If possible, I could use a little guidance on how I should allocate these contributions. :eek:

Options:
-You can manage it yourself.
-Follow our leaders.
-Follow TSPTalk.
-Follow Rev Shark (TSP timing NewsLetter): Premium Service.
-Use Long term allocation, see--->http://www.tsptalk.com/allocation.html

Really it's up to You. The best thing about this board is the education on how to best manage your funds. However, the market is presently overbought and equities are bit pricey. Some of us have gone to secure funds G or F, waiting for a better buying time.

Rgds......Spaf

Birchtree
10-25-2006, 12:45 PM
chassa,

I would quietly suggest you dump all funds into the C fund and begin your payroll contributions with 75% C fund and 25% I fund to accumulate shares via dollar cost averaging. This strategy would allow you some safety and time to read and learn. Welcome.

FundSurfer
10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Or you could go 100% L2040 till you figure out what is best for you. L2040 is the long term aggressive combination of funds.

tsptalk
10-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Welcome chassa! Good luck with whichever strategy you take on.

Tom

James48843
10-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I agree with fundsurfer- I've been watching and following a lot of "swing traders" here, and the L2040 seems to be a darn good place to be in for results if you have a long long time to go, and are learning the ropes.

How you allocate is up to you.

Until you get your own strategy ready to go, the L2040 or L2030 appear to be solid performers, and a good place to keep your stash.

When you are ready to manage on your own, TSP talk is a greart place to learn and see how you allocate for maximum returns.

Birchtree
10-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Even solid performers won't make you any money if you don't own enough shares. Going with the L funds leaves you way to thin to do any good accumulation of shares - unless you are dropping $44,000/year. Pick two funds or even one fund and DCA yourself into happiness.

Mike
10-31-2006, 04:32 PM
The percentage return is what matters along with volatility. The L's attempt to maximize the first while minimizing the second. I told someone at work he'd be better off just dumping into the 2040 and letting it ride. I told him that during the mini-market bottom in early July... if I had taken the advice I had given him at that point rather than sitting in G, I'd have incredible returns for the year right now.

C'est la vie.