PDA

View Full Version : Tsp-ira

Mike Catling
10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Hello

I am retiring in less than 9 months on a disability retirement. I have a question on what is recommended to do concerning my TSP after retiring.
My financial institutoion highly recommends I pursue rolling over my TSP into an IRA. I plan to withdraw from these funds an even distribution over a 15 year time period to make a mortgage payment.
My quesion is does the TSP, if the funds are left there, look to be a smarter investment than a IRA? Not being too smart concerning the different tax and early withdraw penalties I want to try to make an educated decision. In the TSP my allocations have mostly, 75%, been to the L fund.
By the way, the withdrawing will be early due to me being under 59. Retiring is not by choice.

thanks

pyriel
10-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Mike, since you are going to have to be tapping into your TSP account, I don't see the need or reason to roll it over to your IRA. TSP has the lowest fee around and it allows you to reallocate them for free.
We have some smart retirees here and I wonder what do they have to say about this.

GGal
10-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Hello Mike,

The early withdrawal penalty should not apply if you are disabled .....discuss this with your accountant, you will have to flag your return.

And of course your bank is pressuring you to roll to an IRA....that is how they make money.

A self-directed IRA can be a good idea, if you are up to the attention it would require.....I will probably roll mine into a self-directed IRA and shoot for high dividend paying stocks.....I said probably, not definitely.

But our TSP is a pretty good option also. Sounds like you've got yours targeted for a specific goal, and maybe you would be better off sticking with TSP.

What do the gurus here have to say?

GA

Spaf
10-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Mike,

Sounds like you should begin with some professional advice. I started with my accountant. From there I got personal advice on what to do and what not to do. When you mentioned mortgage, I'm sure your accountant can clarify some tax issues. I have stayed with TSP; because they had the inhouse options I wanted, low fees, an the option to manage accounts or nest them in the Life-cycle funds.

Rgds
Spaf