PDA

View Full Version : Interfund Transfer 9/29 for 10/02/06

tsptalk
09-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Interfund transfer this morning - 100% G fund.

Removed1
10-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the recommendations.I have just known about this website tsptalk.com for 2 months I have learned a lot.I wish that I had known sooner.This website and all regular contributors daily to message board
are surely big help to all goverment employees for free education about investment.Please send my appreciation specially to tsptalk admisnistrator for daily allocation recommendation and tsptalk message board members who care enough to share experience and knowledge. Many thanks.
Diem Nolan (zimmy4d@yahoo.com)

tsptalk
10-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback zimmy! The folks on this board are top notch people with a lot to offer all of us.

Welcome aboard!

Tom

06savefor2012
10-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I can not understand why this website continues to do any and everything to convince people to invest in the G Fund or the F Fund! Chart after chart is posted about these funds while the I Fund paying 25% a year, year after year get ignored? Look at the numbers....30 cents a share in about 2 days!!!!! Stay here and make 100 dollars or go there and make thousands......the choice is to look else where for investing information if you ask me, the charts at the TSP website speaks for itself when it comes to the returns of the funds. GO I FUND.

mlk_man
10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I don't understand why some people feel the need to speak at all. 06savefor2012 how much money have you made since May 9th? That was the date of your last post about how you were making soooo much money in the I fund. Well, on that day, the I fund closed at $20.95. Yesterday it closed $20.29. That's a return of -3.25%. Congratulations!!!

Just the facts.....................

tsptalk
10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I can not understand why this website continues to do any and everything to convince people to invest in the G Fund or the F Fund!
The fact that I have doubled the return of the G fund this year with virtually zero risk tells some of the story. The markets have climbed in the face of some concerns and being very conservative may not have paid off, but the big gains will come when the green lights flash on the instrument panel. I will get more aggressive when it does.

The I fund is a different monster. It may keep going and going but I'm not risking my entire retirement on it all the time.

As mlk_man said, your 100% I fund allocation is down over 3% since your last post while I am up 6% during that same period. And again, that with very little risk.

To each his own.

Pill
10-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Listen and learn newbie, thats what I am doing. I am sitting 100% I Fund, but not for long! Most guys I talk to say the same thing (co-workers) I fund I fund I fund! It does grow but if you dont time it right and if you look at the past data its most suceptable to drops. Any ways happy investing, dont be offended constructive critism is wonderful.

grandma
10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I can not understand why this website continues to do any and everything to convince people to invest in the G Fund or the F Fund!
I'm sorry - but I seem to have missed seeing the posts where `this website' is doing anything to convice people to invest in G or F, much less doing everything to do so. :confused: In the couple of years I have been in this group, I would have to say the purpose of this board is to supply information & education to get tspers OUT of the G, and even the F - a lot of tspers have a derisive view of F. Now, if you are objecting to the obvious fact that some posters see signs & signals that being in stocks at any certain time is risky, and getting out to preserve what they have, then, that is not being nice.:notrust: The interboard banter that goes with this includes trying to get Birchy out of C and into S & I. He's happy, posts good information that we can use to make sure we are somewhere else!
You can always check the Tracker Returns, & see how many of those participants in the top 10 or so posted G &/or F as compared to those hanging out in I. I am sure, if I look, I will see that you have signed up to be followed by the Tracker, & the rest of the members, too.
By-the-way, for a complete picture of the variety of `outside' opinions on this tsptalk .com site, I recommend you read Desperado - his comments are around here somewhere - :D

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/triso/skateboarding4.gif(retired)

wxman111
10-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi...this is my first post here on TSPtalk. I am waiting on the 3rd quarter statements to come out. How do I get on the leader board for total returns???? I am right now in the 10-15% range.

Jason

tsptalk
10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Welcome wxman111! You have to start from scratch by posting your current position, then any subsequent transaction.

I started an account for you here... http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3364

Good luck!
Tom

06savefor2012
10-04-2006, 05:58 AM
I missed both corrections because I ran for cover in the G FUND! I am at my highest dollor amount.....EVER!! Yes, I do use the G Funds......but like I said before...who cares about 3 or 4 percent when I can make 20 percent plus in the short and the long term.......look at the charts, like I said. This is about money buddy, not quotes and poetry. I am out to make money, not friends at this website. I appreciate the time people give, just like I am giving you some time. Look at the numbers again and then put it in the I-Fund but watch out if there is an "event" over there and be prepared to move to the G FUND for protection.

mlk_man
10-04-2006, 08:07 AM
DUH, what do you think we are trying to do here..........buddy.................:rolleyes:

Pilgrim
10-04-2006, 08:39 AM
What's all this stuff doing in Tom's thread? Belong's in the bullpen.

FundSurfer
10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
I missed both corrections because I ran for cover in the G FUND!

Isn't is interesting how Monday morning quarterbacks always make the right decisions? 06savefor2012 we started a separate set of threads where members can post their moves and thus have proof that they are doing as well as they say they are. Without that anyone could pop onto this messageboard and say that they have been earning 30% a year for the last 10 years. I'll believe it when I see it. I have seen members do incredibly well and there are people who I now pay attention to because they have the data to back themselves up. If you are interested go to the Member accounts and transactions sections. I'll agree that the I-fund has had a great run but it also has a great amount of risk.

grandma
10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
What's all this stuff doing in Tom's thread? Belong's in the bullpen.
you are correct - and I apologize to Tom for participating - which I am still doing, obviously.:blink:
The thing is, have you noticed that Newbies (of which I was one at some point in the past) seem to jump right in at the first postable (?) site on the list - I think this must be true of all webs?? And then it is a mixed bag because they seem to speak directly to tsptalk -Tom, and, interchangeably, to the tsptalk. com board.
Thank goodness that when the site got revamped all my history evaporated !!:)
Moderator, can you move the irrelevant to Bullpen as subtley suggested by Pilgrim??
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/triso/peoplecrossing_fingers_md_clrmlk.gif

Bart
10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm taking a chance on getting flamed here. Sorry, Mr. Admin but I can't hide in the G fund when all this is going on. A friend gave me a daily excel spread sheet that I can track my daily ups and downs on. Since August 14th, 06 my tsp has gone up $20K+. At one time I was up $25K. So I lost $5, I made $20. I moved into the G fund in the beginning of Sept and lost $$ (my fault) I was reading the tea leaves about historically poor proformance in Sept followed by good Oct, Nov. and Dec. Part way through Sept I went back to a 1/3 in each of the C S & I. That's were most of the $20 has come from. My option is that the G fund has NO standing in this horse race.
You're a Mets fan (good for you). Use this comparision. You're a met player and you go to the ball park, go into the dug out but don't go out on the field because you're worried that you might be put out. I don't mean to critice (heck I can't even spell it! LOL).
All I can say is that I have JUST under the 300K mark and 437 more calendar days to retirement. Just this week I move 50% in each S & I. My plans are to stay there until the spring and then move into the G fund for retirement.
With a little luck I'll get it to the $350 mark.
Just remember that "You can't get the fruit unless you go out on the limb."

tsptalk
10-19-2006, 05:56 PM
You're a Mets fan (good for you). Use this comparision. You're a met player and you go to the ball park, go into the dug out but don't go out on the field because you're worried that you might be put out.
Hi Bart -
I'll give you a better analogy. The Mets won 97 games this year and lost 65. What if they had the opportunity to play against only the weak teams, and only when the pitcher on the weak team had an ERA over 5.00? Their winning percentage would obviously be much higher.

Sure they could have won some of those games they would have passed on, but like a gambler trying to bet on every game rather than only on the games that gave them a high probabity for a win, you can expect your bank roll to jump around a lot as you will lose a lot more than you could have.

I understand your concern as it is easy to critique what has happened rather than predict what will happen. The nice thing about TSP is that we can do whatever we want in our accounts. I am bullish for the next couple of years but don't be surprised if your 300K dips down a bit before taking off again. You're about to face Pedro Martinez a lot in the next few weeks. :)

Good luck!
Tom

Show-me
10-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Just be cautious this close to retirement. If you can not monitor the market intra day even I would be nervous for you. Good luck!

nnuut
10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey! I'm close to retirement (-3 years) and I sure am not being that conservative, you can't make the big bucks if you have no b----. Bulls, bucks, What!? There can be no gain without risk, just realize that you control your own money, don't hang - In - There Toooo Long.:D

Spaf
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Moderator, can you move the irrelevant to Bullpen as subtley suggested by Pilgrim??

It can be moved to a forum, but not within a forum without a lot of cutting and pasting.

tsptalk
10-20-2006, 11:26 AM
As I've mentioned before, I don't mind chatting in my interfund transfer threads since I start a new one with each transfer. This is as good a place as any for people to question and comment on my strategies.

Thanks,
Tom

Bart
10-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I watch the the market at least several times a day, thanks to the 20 minute delay charts at the bottom of the TSP talk home page.
Yes, I do ebb & flow some (win some and loose some). I hope to more flow than ebb. Time will tell, I know I'm way out on a limb, but with today's technology I (we) can move to a safe place in one to two days max. Not like in years gone where it took a full quarter to move out of a bad situation. With that ability and safety nets put on the stock markets I can' t loose more than a few thousand in a day. The other side of that coin is that I can make" a few thousand a day also. Heck, I can even break even.
Currently, I banking on the market doing the traditional thing and going up (overall) between now and spring time. That's when I'll pull the plug and move all my current into the "G" but leave my last 9 months of contributions in high risk (kinda like play money).
Thanks for a very educational site.
P.S. I'm hoping Pedro has a off few weeks!

tsptalk
10-23-2006, 11:19 AM
P.S. I'm hoping Pedro has a off few weeks!
Pedro is having shoulder surgery so it looks like you got a rookie pitching today. The market is swinging for the fences. :)

Bart
10-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Bart -
I'll give you a better analogy. The Mets won 97 games this year and lost 65. What if they had the opportunity to play against only the weak teams, and only when the pitcher on the weak team had an ERA over 5.00? Their winning percentage would obviously be much higher.
Good analogy, but a more accurate one would be that the Mets go to the field but don't know who they're playing against until the game begins. I believe that's what we're doing here. Each day we play against an unknown until the end of the ball game. Made a little more today. 50%S and 50%I (would have been a little better if I'd had some in the C also but that's life).
Hoping for another good tomorrow, but I'll take the bitter with the batter (batter more baseball terms).

pathfinder
10-25-2006, 07:09 AM
I've been 70% C fund and 30% G fund during the summer. I don't think I've been doing too bad, but yesterday I moved to 100% G fund because I believe I've been pressing my luck. At work we've been noticing how G fund increases a penny every 4 or 5 days. What is driving G fund to do this? Does anybody know? :confused:

AIF
10-25-2006, 08:07 AM
I've been 70% C fund and 30% G fund during the summer. I don't think I've been doing too bad, but yesterday I moved to 100% G fund because I believe I've been pressing my luck. At work we've been noticing how G fund increases a penny every 4 or 5 days. What is driving G fund to do this? Does anybody know? :confused:

Hi Pathfinder,

Here is a link to the G Fund Fact Sheet from the TSP site, http://www.tsp.gov/rates/fundsheet-gfund.pdf

It's the most secure fund you can invest in but makes slow but steady gains. At the top of this website on the left is a link called TSP Forums. Click that and scroll down to the G Fund discussion. There you'll find a lot of discussion about the G Fund and the forecasts when the next Penny should be given.

AIF

Bart
10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Well, the Fed left interest rates alone, and the market TOOK OFF! At least that's the way I see it. JUST before the 2:15 announcement the market took a dump! Right after that it took off. Here's the closing #s. All positive.
C 4.84 .35%
S 3.10 .52%
I .49 .70%
F .24 .24%

Now my way of thinking, and reading Pathfinders report of $.01 growth every 4 to 5 days, that G fund ratio comes down to about 20 to 25 cents a day. That's sad. I hope that is an error statement.
In the morning, I'll check my totals again. Yesterday was a very minimal day and I made $154.00. If that G ratio is correct I just made 616 days equivilant in the G fund. Like I said that was one of the poorest days. I've had as high as $3K growth in one day. Do the math on that one. Yes, I've had off days also, but between Aug 14, 06 and today I've gained over $22K total.
I'm sorry but there's ALMOST no way I'm going into the G fund until the springtime. I hope!

06savefor2012
10-26-2006, 02:48 PM
MLK MAN asks how much am I making in the I FUND and the C and S FUNDS..like I said look at the numbers. I am in the G FUND at the moment due to reading this website and learning about the past......instead of the future. I decided to go with the "Teacher" and see if I could do better. WOW, what a dumb mistake that was. Now I am wondering if I will ever be able to get back in and get back into the swing of making money again. Go I FUND!

tsptalk
10-26-2006, 03:13 PM
I am in the G FUND at the moment due to reading this website and learning about the past......instead of the future. I decided to go with the "Teacher" and see if I could do better. WOW, what a dumb mistake that was.
And prey tell, what does the future hold for us? And what are you basing that on?

I'd suggest you go back and read the post you wrote on 5/9... the day before the I fund started a 15% correction.
The I fund is making me so much money, I can not beleive it. It is making me as much as my monthly salary for petes sake! I have made $40,000.00 in the last four months! I am not expecting any pull backs to speak of and plan on going back to 100% in the I fund and let it roll.
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?p=43616#post43616

... Humility can go a long way, and not learning from the past, well that's your prerogative.

mlk_man
10-27-2006, 07:30 AM
What Tom said......:)

BTW 06savefor2012, if you had held the I fund since your post on May 9th, you'd now be up .14%. Holding the G fund since May 9th, you'd be up 2.38%. What's the point? Hell if I know. I'm just trying to speak your language.............:nuts:

06savefor2012
10-27-2006, 08:24 PM
A lot of information here, some really good thinking going on by members, I like that, but why are we having quotes by....for example by Harvey MacKay, being rammed into our eye balls? Gee that really helps me so much with my TSP account. (Duh). If I want other than Financial/TSP information then I can go get that at another website. I don't get it, why the need to post it here like we never heard it before? Once or twice is ok but give me a day off once in awhile buddy! Stop wasting memory. Go I FUND.

borderpilot
10-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Thank you for having this website. I like to read the comments on the main pages from time to time but I must say, I NEVER follow the website owner's advice. I am making money in Thrift Savings, and you (owner) are not.

G-Fund on October 27? You must be joking. We are in the huge fall upstroke that has been happening every year in recent history. Don't look for stocks to drop until after Christmas. If you don't like that advice, try this: when the market is going up, it will continue to go up - when the market is going down, it will continue to go down. I don't pull out until after the climax. This methods costs me a few bucks during the last few days, but then I know I didn't get out too soon. The trends can be found on tspmoney.com by looking at fund graphs and moving average comparisons. Using this method I have significantly outperformed tsptalk.com's commentary.

What an idiot!!!

Love,
borderpilot

nnuut
10-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Thank you for having this website. I like to read the comments on the main pages from time to time but I must say, I NEVER follow the website owner's advice. I am making money in Thrift Savings, and you (owner) are not.

G-Fund on October 27? You must be joking. We are in the huge fall upstroke that has been happening every year in recent history. Don't look for stocks to drop until after Christmas. If you don't like that advice, try this: when the market is going up, it will continue to go up - when the market is going down, it will continue to go down. I don't pull out until after the climax. This methods costs me a few bucks during the last few days, but then I know I didn't get out too soon. The trends can be found on tspmoney.com by looking at fund graphs and moving average comparisons. Using this method I have significantly outperformed tsptalk.com's commentary.

What an idiot!!!

Love,
borderpilot
Just WHO are YOU calling an IDIOT sir?
Norman

tsptalk
10-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd edit that "idiot" comment but I have a feeling I will be using it soon. Due to the recent rash of "you're crazy being in the G fund" posts and emails, the email indicator is finally flashing a strong signal. I've had one or two small signals along the way but this recent push is the first strong signal since May.

I'm thinking I'll be using that post, and the few a little earlier, as examples of how the herd feels at market tops (short or long term). Experience investors and traders who know the market understand how humbling the market can be and do not make bold statements like that, particularly with their first post. They haven't had the humilty fever yet but my guess is they are about to get it.

If I'm wrong... well, I'll be humble enough to adimit it. This market does look good but it needs a break more than ever.

Tom

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/misc/progress.gif

grandma
10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
...I'm sorry but there's ALMOST no way I'm going into the G fund until the springtime. I hope!
Why the apology? Who do you accuse of trying to convince you to do other than whatever you choose to do?

...Thank you for having this website. I like to read the comments on the main pages from time to time but I must say, I NEVER follow the website owner's advice. I am making money in Thrift Savings, and you (owner) are not. ...You must be joking. ...If you don't like that advice.. ...The trends can be found on tspmoney.com by looking at fund graphs and moving average comparisons.. ...What an idiot!!!
How kind of you to thank the originator of this site for allowing you to freely participate on his website - the very one you then shamefully revile. I would suggest you start your own website so you can direct your readers in the Right direction, which appears to would be: OBEY or Get Off...

... why are we having quotes by.... Gee that really helps me so much with my TSP account. (Duh). ...I don't get it...
I think the last phrase explains it all. You also need to start your own site, so you can edit out anything you think is irrelevant - notwithstanding there are 2,000 plus here with less than noticible accuity for stocks on up to Your level - which obviously is beyond comprehension to the uninformed.

I would also direct anyone of you who wish to `take over' anyone else's account: sign & send forth a document stating that you can be & will be financially responsible for anyone's losses should that be incured by following your insistant tirades.
You three fellows might also want to review postings throughout and take note: you are off the chart for rudeness.

(Birch & Tech this is not addressed to you in any way or form or inference by virtue: everyone of history knows who you are & where you stand; and you would never under any circumstances direct any annoyance in Tom's direction;) )

Spaf
10-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Grandma

Sort of Ad Hominem posts!............................:embarrest:

grandma
10-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Grandma

Sort of Ad Hominem posts!............................:embarrest:
...so it appears....that may have been a goal.
Does it address the issues, or non-issues if you prefer, of the statements quoted??
It is tiring to read these `in-your-face' comments from people who have barely introduced themselves, much less earned any listening time. I responded to that.

If the embarrassment is widespread, please delete!!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/triso/referee_stopping_the_fight_md_clr.gif
grandma

rokid
10-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Tom,

Remember General Joseph W. Stilwell's motto: 'nil carborundum illegitimi'. Latin for 'Don't let the bastards grind you down'.

Hopefully, after Halloween, the MB will get back to normal.:cheesy:

nnuut
10-29-2006, 05:32 PM
...so it appears....that may have been a goal.
Does it address the issues, or non-issues if you prefer, of the statements quoted??
It is tiring to read these `in-your-face' comments from people who have barely introduced themselves, much less earned any listening time. I responded to that.

If the embarrassment is widespread, please delete!!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/triso/referee_stopping_the_fight_md_clr.gif
grandma

It's better I don't meet them personally, I'd fatten their lip, but that's the kind of guy I am. Who is an Idoit? Bam!:D

Birchtree
10-29-2006, 06:16 PM
It's classic verbiage during a bull market where anyone can be recognized as a genuise. After awhile the bulltinky gets on everybody elses shoes. Just wipe them off - bulltinky is sterile. Didn't you know?

nnuut
10-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Geniuse (geniuses), bulltinky, you are a word wizard! What
Thesaurus do you use?:confused: Cut the stuff, just say it, PLEASE!:)

Birchtree
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
That's what happens when u and i get mixed up. How would you spell bulltinky? Bulltinkie, Bulltinkey, or something in French? Maybe just simply Bullpp, Bullpeepee, Bullwizz.

And besides I'm no longer a member of the body invasion club now that the lizard is gone. He did leave his shoes and 2x4. I really looked strange walking around with four shoes showing.

dell
10-29-2006, 08:03 PM
A lot of information here, some really good thinking going on by members, I like that, but why are we having quotes by....for example by Harvey MacKay, being rammed into our eye balls? Gee that really helps me so much with my TSP account. (Duh). If I want other than Financial/TSP information then I can go get that at another website. I don't get it, why the need to post it here like we never heard it before? Once or twice is ok but give me a day off once in awhile buddy! Stop wasting memory. Go I FUND.

MLK MAN asks how much am I making in the I FUND and the C and S FUNDS..like I said look at the numbers. I am in the G FUND at the moment due to reading this website and learning about the past......instead of the future. I decided to go with the "Teacher" and see if I could do better. WOW, what a dumb mistake that was. Now I am wondering if I will ever be able to get back in and get back into the swing of making money again. Go I FUND!

Are you kidding me? Grow up. You and you alone are responsible for your investment decisions. This board is to exchange ideas and provide the results of our research; not to make you rich. Thai is your job. Stop being a buffoon.

Dell

pyriel
10-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Hi guys and gals... It seemed that there are some good and warm discussions going on here. BorderPilot and 06savefor2012 do have a point here. If we all have stayed in the I fund we will be up somewhere around 15%+ right now. Or the fact that staying in the G fund the entire time really will not do anyone some good since other funds as the charts will indicate and history do shows that other funds will easily beat the G fund in the long haul.

Each statement had some truth to it but it also seems like an icing on top of a cake. The bottom line is that we really don't know what tomorrow will hold for us. Because if we do, then we wouldn't bother coming in to this site.

I am glad that others do see that the G fund has its usefullness like preserving our funds during the downturn. However, we should use this knowledge to teach others. I for one would have love to know when people jumped out of stox to take cover in G fund and what are their thoughts about their moves. Telling us that after the fact doesn't really help anyone. I believe this is why allocation talk was created so that people who are doing so well can help others who are not as investor savvy like myself. Hell, I would love to make 40k within so many months.

So what is my point? Since we've all took the time to come to this MB, why don't we just make our time worthwhile and try to help others to make some $$... It would be great if people can see your moves and your thoughts on the market. This way, it will give legitimacy on claims being presented here.

Thanks for reading this and I hope that posters here will be kind enough to help me and others like me to increase our TSP returns. I promise to do the same.

Pyriel

Spaf
10-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Pyriel,
Hi bro!
Help me out!

You are looking at a picture from one angle, me and a few others from another angle!
Once You retire what do you do with your TSP funds?.........:o [THE QUESTION]

A closet full of money. Now what do you do with it?

Continue playing high risk in the I-Fund and S-Fund?
Roll over to an account where some manager can take a pricey vacation?
Buy an Island in the Philippines?

Gimme some options!

.....;) .......Spaf

Birchtree
10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
This is not Pyriel, but I would suggest you load up on the C fund and don't worry. Begin a gentle process to roll some into a Roth IRA over an extended period of time - don't be in a hurry. Now what do you have to think about while you are resting in the "Lilly Pad"; the grocery list and your investment strategy. The Shark may be too conservative - it's time to rock n roll.

Bart
10-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Mr. Birchtree, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that one can not contibute to a Roth IRA with retirement funds. It has to be with earned money (i.e. working). I had similar plans but someone else told me that (what I stated above). I don't know what I'm going to do in about 14 months. I'm still working on now. 50% each S & I & hoping.

Birchtree
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Check the retirement post - according to Pyriel the law has changed to allow direct roll over into a Roth IRA without first going into a regular IRA. It just means you pay taxes up front because a 1099 is generated. Becareful how you set up your beneficiary for the Roth IRA, and it can always be changed later and you can have more than one Roth IRA with different heirs.

pyriel
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Pyriel,
Hi bro!
Help me out!

You are looking at a picture from one angle, me and a few others from another angle!
Once You retire what do you do with your TSP funds?.........:o [THE QUESTION]

A closet full of money. Now what do you do with it?

Continue playing high risk in the I-Fund and S-Fund?
Roll over to an account where some manager can take a pricey vacation?
Buy an Island in the Philippines?

Gimme some options!

.....;) .......Spaf

Tom,
I'm sorry we've invaded your thread and it now became a retirement topic;-) LOL...

Spaf,
My retirement outlook is very different from 98% of the posters here. My wife and I have no plan on touching our TSP and our ROTH. The plan is to give them to our kids. We plan on living comfortably from my 50% military retirement, SS (if it is still around), and our real estate earning. My real estate earning (net) now is currently exceeding my projected 50% military retirement 8.2 years from now. I plan to buy 1-2 properties a year using OPM.

I'll be travelling to the Philippines at the latter part of November to pick up my new condo. The building is One Orchard Road and it is fully paid. I picked the place because it is a party place, check the shops and nightlife within the city. Everything is within walking distance from my new place.

http://www.eastwood-properties.com/masterplan/dsp_index.html

Spaf
10-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Yea Tom, me too! Sorry for invading your thread! But, it was just sitting there....:D..... and we didn't want the boogy man to scare it!

I knew it Pyriel's buying a chunk out of the Philippines.....:nuts: .....Go for it!

Spaf
10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Since we've all took the time to come to this MB, why don't we just make our time worthwhile and try to help others to make some $$... It would be great if people can see your moves and your thoughts on the market. Pyriel

Yery well put!

My moves will be to follow RevShark, I kind of like his view on capital preservation. Besides, he's got experience and a staff to help him. The retirement factor is that money is flowing out of TSP rather than in. Right now I view the market as somewhat overbought, reference the RSI for [$SPX]. November starts the better months for Mr. Market. So I see a small pullback on the horizen to get out of the overbought conditions and fairly good sailing there after, depending on what RevShark has to say.

Going back to Market Talk!

Pilgrim
12-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Tom,

The problem you are having, that you said today would need to bring changes, seems to center on the whole business of e-mail alerts. I would suggest that these alerts are unnecessary and that you should simply drop them. If you were running a pay site and had clients to whom you were accountable, something like this would be needed. But in this case, you should make it clear that you post your moves the same as any other member and are not recommending anything to anyone. At best, your emails save someone the trouble of logging in to check your allocation on the message board. At worst, the fact that you send emails suggests that you are recommending an allocation. I haven’t gone through in detail, but if you are using the word “recommended” with respect to either your trading or long-term allocations anywhere on the site, change the wording to be just “my allocation.” If anyone is too lazy to log in and check the board, too bad.

Show-me
12-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Tom,

The problem you are having, that you said today would need to bring changes, seems to center on the whole business of e-mail alerts. I would suggest that these alerts are unnecessary and that you should simply drop them. If you were running a pay site and had clients to whom you were accountable, something like this would be needed. But in this case, you should make it clear that you post your moves the same as any other member and are not recommending anything to anyone. At best, your emails save someone the trouble of logging in to check your allocation on the message board. At worst, the fact that you send emails suggests that you are recommending an allocation. I haven’t gone through in detail, but if you are using the word “recommended” with respect to either your trading or long-term allocations anywhere on the site, change the wording to be just “my allocation.” If anyone is too lazy to log in and check the board, too bad.

I agree!

Oldcoin
12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Tom,

The problem you are having, that you said today would need to bring changes, seems to center on the whole business of e-mail alerts. I would suggest that these alerts are unnecessary and that you should simply drop them. .

I sent Tom a PM before I read these today (duh :embarrest:) anyhow, I agree, to hamper your trading for unpaid service doesn't seem right. A single post to the web site should suffice.

IMHO

grandma
12-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Do you suppose if someone started a poll, that Tom would consider this? We have all `preached' at him for so long but Pilgrim put it so well, that maybe he will reconsider so he can enjoy the fruits of his labors - :)

weatherweenie
12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Very well put!

Tom,

tsptalk
12-05-2006, 12:06 AM
I may have implied that in my comments, but I hate to use the emails alerts as an excuse. More of a hiderance. But a necessary hinderance since the emails do bring people to the site who may need the occasional reminder. Traffic keeps the site going.

I need to come up with a way to do it all - Make transfers as I see fit, send the emails without concern of making everyone happy all of the time, and make money in the market without making excuses for my lack of success.

I may need to cut down on that list to make the email process faster. I'm sure a large % of those on the list just delete them and consider them an annoying spam. Perhaps I can look into another email service that can send them faster.

As I said, changes need to be made. I will explore all possibilities.

Thanks for your input!
Tom

Spaf
12-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Tom,

Possibility: version #1.

See Nnuut's red wines! See my recipe for Buffalo Wings! See Grandma's Christmas posts!

Do you have a dog? [The dog ate the e-mails]........:D........ Will send dog!...... What size do you need .....:confused:

Spaf

CountryBoy
12-05-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey Tom,

You can cut me from your email list. I'm pretty much here all the time anyway. I keep a browser window open, so I can pop in and out when I have time. :D

Rus

pogo
12-05-2006, 08:27 AM
me to

pointman72
12-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Tom,

Have you considered reducing your Email list to just members? Would definitely be an incentative for people to join the site! Just a thought.

JMHO, your TSP fund is a part of your retirement plan and should not be constrained by any assumed obligations to the members of this site. If fact, I think it would be more interesting if you were not so conservative in your trading. :D

tsptalk
12-08-2006, 09:42 PM
For many TSP participants, the Thrift savings Plan is an out of site - out of mind tool for retirement savings. I'm hoping TSP Talk makes people become more involved or aware of what is happening with their account. The email list helps both myself and our readers to keep in touch. I use it as both a reminder and in turn, keeps the site's traffic up. Since this is basically a free site, keeping traffic up and subsequently maintaining ad revenue, is what keeps the site running. Otherwise I would have to either charge a fee to make it worth my time, or significantly cut down on the time I do put into it.

So, the email alerts are sent as a way for me to keep members coming back, and a way for me to remind TSP participant to be wary of their retirement savings.

You can probably tell I don't abuse this promotional tool as I have not sent out an email alert (with an allocation change) in over two months. No wonder the ad revenue is down. :D

Maybe the new system that was developed and will be implemented in January, will generate more transfers. :)

beau99
12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Yes I am new to TSP. Nevertheless I have a question; When I go and transfer funds to the various accounts does TSP charge a fee for moving the funds around?

tsptalk
12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Welcome beau99. The answer is no.