PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for a long time I fund holder

MIKEfromJERSEY
12-13-2018, 10:03 AM
I made the decision to switch to 100% allocation and contribution to the I fund in 2008 after the market crash. I was honestly too afraid to move my money and over the years saw my TSP account balance go up and down. Now, I am realizing with 10 years to go before retirement, that I may have made a huge mistake by buying and holding the I fund. Should I stay and wait for the fund to increase in value or should I just move everything to another fund?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using TSP Talk Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=74921)

tsptalk
12-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Hi Mike. I'm glad we got your login issue fixed, so thanks for joining in. Your 1st post since registering 11 years ago. Nice! :D

Unfortunately the SEC says I'm not allowed to give individual advice. I can give market opinions and tell you what I'm doing or what my system signals are saying, but I cannot tell others what they should do.

I am not a fan of buy and hold because of the rare bear markets, which the I-fund has been in. So all I can say is I look at the charts and decide where I think my money should be at ay given time. I could be right or wrong, but buy and hold will be both right and wrong at different times.

Long-term, stocks will likely be up, but whether they beat cash (G-fund) or bonds in the next year or so, I don't know. Maybe not.

Not much help, I know. And not to make this an advertisement, but if you want to know what I'm doing with my TSP (or Intrepid or Revshark) you can subscribe to our services.

Should I stay and wait for the fund to increase in value or should I just move everything to another fund?