PDA

View Full Version : TSP - Real Estate Investment Trust

FundSurfer
07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Think tank blasts TSP real estate fund proposal

A conservative Washington think tank published a paper last week denouncing congressional efforts to add a real estate fund to the Thrift Savings Plan.

The Heritage Foundation's report said the addition of a Real Estate Investment Trust fund to the TSP -- a $180 billion 401(k)-style retirement savings plan for federal employees -- over the objections of its fiduciary board would open a slippery slope for the addition of politically motivated funds.

"If Congress successfully forces a REIT fund on TSP, the balance of power will shift from [the board's] focus on the needs of TSP members to political interests of a particular industry or interest group," said Heritage senior research fellow David John. .......

Think tank blasts TSP real estate fund proposal (http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=34564&sid=2)

GordonGecko
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
I agree with Heritage, however TSP members should be able to nominate vote for fund options, not just the TSP board. Let's have a foreign bond fund. That would be a much more useful addition.

rokid
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
I disagree with Heritage (on everything). I'm not that impressed with the TSP Board's stewardship. Perhaps, a little more congressional involvement would be good.

In addition to foreign bonds, I'd like to see both REITS and emerging markets. They're all good diversifiers and appropriate for tax deferred accounts.

pyriel
07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
The only concern i have is that if they approve REIT into the fund because of Heritage's move, TSP board will not be able to stop others by doing the same thing. I wouldn't mind having REIT being added into the funds. It will just become another choice for us. The more the merrier;-)