PDA

View Full Version : Please Clarify Funds

Rod
06-26-2004, 03:01 PM
I'ma beginner learning to read the market. This past Friday, The NASDAQ was up, while the DOW and S&P were down. Both C & I lost, while the S gained. So, does that mean that the S Fund is tied into the NASDAQ?

Please clarify which sector of the stockmarket is represented by the C, S, and I funds.

The C is the S&P, correct?

Which is the NASDAQ?

Which is the DOW?

Are there any combos?

I know that (I) is represented by the EAFE, but what's an indicator that the (I) is doing good / badwhen you look at the S&P, NASDAQ, and DOW?

Thank you!:)

Pete1
06-26-2004, 10:20 PM
The Dow and NASDAQ returns are not very useful formonitoring the TSP funds. The Russell 2000 is closer for the S fundbut usually, the Willshire 4500 (S fund) will trail the R2000because the midcap component of the W4500 typically yields slightly lower returns than the smallcap stocks in the R2000 but also, the losses are not usually quite as sharp as the R2000.

Pete1
06-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Rod,

If you are just learning about the funds, you may want to go with a longer term allocation. You should check on Tom's long-term allocation recommendations. His recommended allocations are very sound.

Rod
06-27-2004, 06:33 AM
Thanx Pete!

Rod
06-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Pete1 wrote:
Rod,

If you are just learning about the funds, you may want to go with a longer term allocation. You should check on Tom's long-term allocation recommendations. His recommended allocations are very sound.

Where would I find that at?

Pete1
06-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Go back to the homepage and click on Tom's comments for the current market. Within the current comments section, there is a link to the longer term outlook along with recommended long-term allocations. If you are younger and your account balance is low, go with either the moderate or agressive allocation. If you are older with a larger balance, the conservative approach makes a lot of sense. If you are older with a low balance, I would still go with the conservative approach unless you can let your TSP compound for a number of years after you have retired. If you are going toattempt to market time, mimic Tom's transactions until you have a better feel for what you are doing. You may also want to check out the timing signals listed on TSPMoney.com,. Hope this helps. :)

tsptalk
06-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Rod wrote:
Pete1 wrote:
Rod,

Where would I find that at?

http://www.tsptalk.com/longer_term.html

I just added this link to the allocation page as well.