PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the word about TSPtalk

sugarandspice
05-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I really feel that each of us has an unwritten responsibilty to pass the word on to others about this site. Tom, with his vision, has given us a extremely valuable FREE asset to get and give information about things very important to each of our futures.

I have only gotten 1 other person to actually come here and lurk around(he hasn't registered) but I have told maybe 40-50 people about it. It seems that most are just too lazy or feel that the govt. is taking care of them and they don't really need to take an active interest.

Here the intimidation factor about investing and stocks and graphs and blah blah blah is taken out because you can remain anonymous but still get plenty of opinion and info about the same thing we all have in common. TSP. I really wish I knew where I could spread the word.

Anyone have any ideas?

We owe to Tom, don't ya think?

Wimpy
05-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I agree wholeheartedly! Has anyone seen this site mentioned on the FederalSoup site? It has a lot of fed employee activity and puts out good info.

Sending Tom an annual PayPal contrib wouldn't hurt either.

tsptalk
05-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks S&S and Wimpy! I was asked this week by the producers of FederalNewsRadio.com to be a guest on FedTalk. I believe it is an AM station in Washington but can also be heard on their website.

It may surprise you that I just told them that I would think about it. The producer was nice enough but I can see it now: A talk show host grilling me for an hour about why a computer programmer with little backgound in finance is giving financial advice on a website to thousands of gov't employees and military personnel. I think I would be playing defense rather than spreading the word about taking control of your own account. I know their main columnist, Mike Causey, has nothing nice to say about TSP timers.

I am considering it because of the potential exposure, but do I really want the couple of dozen emails I get from people daily asking me to tell them their TSP PIN or account balance, to turn into a couple of hundred? :nuts:

Oh, and thanks for soliciting the donations but they really aren't necessary anymore. I now make enough with the ads and newsletter to keep me afloat so I took down those PayPal donation buttons. If I ever have to make living doing this maybe I'll put them back. :) Spreading the word works for me. Maybe we can send some donations to the moderators and trackers.

Rod
05-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I spread the word about TSPTalk every chance I get. I try to get folks excited about taking control and managing their accounts. I've been thinking about starting a TSP Investor's Club on base, incorporating TSPTalk. I will look at that more closely once I move to dayshift.

This site can get really big in a hurry. Awhile back I suggested to Tom that he start a TSPTalk "magazine" or newsletter. Something one can hold in their hands and read and LEAVE a copy anywhere they please. I'm telling you, if we were to leave those at military base dental/med clinics, it would catch like wildfire.

Also, if you were to try and find a book on the TSP, there isn't one that I've found other than gov. pubs. The market is wide open and Tom is the man to cultivate that ground.
"TSP For Dummies" would be most excellent.

It's a market waiting to be tapped, and one I would consider investing in.

Gilligan
05-25-2006, 11:48 AM
...so I took down those PayPal donation buttons.

Are you sure about that?

Go ahead and go on FEDTALK, you can tell them how you provide a great forum for us to learn about TSP. I spread the word at work but so many don't even have a clue of what funds their allocations are in. They are more upset with the Spurs losing than the C, S, and I losing ground.

tsptalk
05-25-2006, 12:01 PM
They are more upset with the Spurs losing than the C, S, and I losing ground.

LOL! Ignorance is bliss.

mlk_man
05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
They are more upset with the Spurs losing than the C, S, and I losing ground.
Not too happy about that myself! They're still one of the classiest teams in basketball. And they had another great season!

Of course Tom is from Utah so I should probably shut my trap.........:p

Good luck Mavs, ya you know what's!!

tsptalk
05-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Of course Tom is from Utah so I should probably shut my trap.........:p

Love Utah as a state, but I'm not a big Jazz fan. I go to one game a year - when the Knicks are in town. I'll always be a NY'er when it comes to sports teams. I also lived in the DC/MD area for 7 years and just couldn't get into the Redskins or O's either.

EW_ret
05-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Whipy,

I was directed to the TSPTalk from the FederalSoup site in July 2004. They do talk about TSP issues and TSPTalk come up sometimes. Most comments are negative about TSP timers, and Tom because he was in G fund for a long time. Here is one suck discussion: http://community.federalsoup.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=4944011921&f=2514011031&m=3351007721 (http://community.federalsoup.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=4944011921&f=2514011031&m=3351007721)

sugarandspice
05-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Tom,

I have never gotten the impression that you were an expert. This,to me, is an invaluable tool for me to collect info and make my own decision. What I dont realize is that you Tom probably have people following your every move and then having to deal with the circumstances from those moves. I think if you make it clear up front what the site is all about and don't let it slip back to you being an expert it should be a good opportunity to PR the site. Let us know if/when you will do it.

Wheels
05-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Tom,

I have never gotten the impression that you were an expert. This,to me, is an invaluable tool for me to collect info and make my own decision. What I dont realize is that you Tom probably have people following your every move and then having to deal with the circumstances from those moves. I think if you make it clear up front what the site is all about and don't let it slip back to you being an expert it should be a good opportunity to PR the site. Let us know if/when you will do it.

On that note. Tom I always thought it was a good idea to post your moves on this site but I always thought it was kind of a bad idea to send e-mail alerts on your moves. The posting to me says heres my moves for what its worth. Sending the e-mail says to me, here's my moves and its what you should do too.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
<><

Rod
05-26-2006, 11:30 AM
On that note. Tom I always thought it was a good idea to post your moves on this site but I always thought it was kind of a bad idea to send e-mail alerts on your moves. The posting to me says heres my moves for what its worth. Sending the e-mail says to me, here's my moves and its what you should do too.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
<><

One good thing about the email alerts is that not everyone CAN access TspTalk while at work. So if they are interested in following Tom's moves, they can simply make their move upon the alert. Plus, it's also helpful when someone is mobile- as in my case when I am TDY. I may not follow Tom's moves all the time, but I do take into consideration when he enters and exits the market. To sum up, email alerts are very helpful to me when I don't have access to TSPTalk because I value Tom's input.

Griffin
05-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Tom,

During the course of doing web research (using that most famous search engine) on things that are discussed on this site, I have been surprised several times by the fact that certain combinations of words have yielded a TSP.talk link within the first ten hits. As far as I can tell, this is far and away the most sophisticated TSP website out there.

Consider that the President was pushing TSP (TSP like plan?) as a supplement to Social Security. If that had actually happened, you would have a leg up on a market that every single American would have a substantial investment in. The ramifications are huge, and the liabilities equally as……dangerous. Consider where the source of the some of the greatest criticism for that plan came from. Those organizations have legions of ruthless blood sucking lawyers.

I’m glad to hear that you lived near the capital, so you probably have some knowledge of the political maelstrom that exists within the beltway. It appears that you have a sufficient legal disclaimer, however, I think you may want to consult a Lawyer before you take this out there. Especially on a radio station that services that city. While it seems that the TSP concept for social security is off the radar for now, you could find yourself dragged into that debate and end up drawing a lot of unwanted attention.

I hope this does not come off as sounding paranoid, but be careful.

tsptalk
05-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks Griffin.

biggdog1
05-29-2006, 01:59 AM
Since when did Tom say he was a TSP financial adviser? When I joined this site as a member I knew from my own experiences to DO MY OWN MOVES and live with them. Yes I have gleaned some valuable insight from several members but it was their research and financial info not advice to trade from one fund to another. To those members that can't wait until some members post their FUND moves don't be sheep. Take a little time to learn what your financial future can be or will be. It's not that hard to see what's going on around you. If you don't have the time or willingness to learn that's what your dear Uncle Sam set the L-Funds up for. I'm trying not to be too critical here but don't bitch and complain when you follow some elses moves. There that's another sore item off my chest.

P.S. Thanks Tom for a FREE website that offers so much that we can make our own choices.

tsptalk
05-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks Dog. Can I use that to send to people who email me when they don't like how I am doing? :)

ayla
05-29-2006, 02:32 PM
yes, what bigdog said.

And I'd like to add that I have cringed when I have read someone literally ask directly if anyone thought they should buy or sell something. I've only seen it once or twice. But YIKES! I think such questions should be prohibited and be included in the inappropriate posting rules faq (though I'm not intending to add more work to the moderators in the form of policing but would be nice to have this spelled out up front.)

Guess some people are just a bit naive but also they may be desperate. We don't want to go there. Sounds like Tom probably knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Now I'm not saying we should have to refrain from giving our own opinion or saying how we are "playing our cards" but for someone to actively seek financial advice from individuals who they do not know on an internet forum (especially when it's free) leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Asking questions pertaining to tutorials and how-tos about investing terminology, strategy, history, current or past news. etc. is okay but when you give your own personal information about what stock you're holding and ask someone directly what you should do next just doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Not that we don't all read the other posts and sometimes change our own plans but I like it when we keep this a bit on the subtle side. Keeps it more civilized and adult.