PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing from TSP for land

Brett
05-11-2006, 07:13 AM
About a year and half ago I borrowed 20K from my TSP to purchase land in Florida. I borrowed the money first so that if I found the right lot, I could bargain and buy quickly. My intentions were both speculative to perhaps later flip, or even have a home built there when we retire. I found, after much searching, this great lot that was a small unincorporated subdivision with a 1.2 acre common lot on the Saint James river giving the 12 owners a 1/10th undivided ownership with 200’ of water access. The lots are one acre each, plus the common lot. A road is yet to be put in, but I think that the $18.5k price was well worth it, the value can only go up. http://www.pbase.com/brettwp/florida

It seems everyone wants to move to Florida. Let me tell ya, there is PLENTY of land in Florida. My criteria were:
a) High and Dry, so much is low lying.
b) Water access, a large pond or lake, or canal will do.
c) Stick built homes only allowed; Putnam County is either half or more than half mobile homes. As with possible flooding, check the zoning codes.
d) Buildable lot; mine isn’t quite yet, but I have seven years to wait, I don’t think it will be a major problem.