PDA

View Full Version : Easy To Say Hard To Do

ekatteng
03-20-2006, 12:09 AM
NEVER EVER... NEVER EVER SELL LOSING... THE MARKET HISTORY PROOF
IT ALWAYS THAT THE MARKET ALWAYS COMES BACK WITH PROFIT...
PATICIENCE AND MORE PATIENCE IS THE POWERFUL VIRTURE... NEVER EVER
SELL LOOSING AND GET NO FEAR ABOUT IT... :worried:

charmedboi82
03-20-2006, 05:09 PM

Perhaps the market does (although really, that could very well not be true in all cases), but individual stocks don't. There's no shame in selling while the price is down. Sure, you lost money but waiting for the price to come back up could make you miss out on something for the which the price is increasing faster (i.e., you're missing out on a better opportunity).

FUTURESTRADER
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM

CMGI, ENRON, WORLDCOM, etc, etc, etc,...NEVER EVER SAY 'NEVER'

Birchtree
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Gentleman,

This long term investor has multi-thousands of dollars in tax loss carry forwards from previous mistakes and wrong choices. They are always painful to take but eventually can be used to offset future profits. So this year up to a certain limit I can take profits and there will be no tax consequences.

Dennis

CheapShot
03-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I was reading an article the other day about the crash in 1929. If someone was invested and took the losses and stayed in the market trhough dollar cost averaging it would have taken 25 years to get back to the original balance. Interesting, but if you didn't stay invested how would you ever earn your money back, sitting in a bank earning simple interest, unless you owned your own buisness, or possibly real estate.

Birchtree
04-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I managed to off-set $45,000 in profits this year by applying my tax loss carry forwards. And as humble as it is to say, I stll have more left for the next go around. I knew there would be other opportunities to lighten the load. I'd like to do at least the same this year.