PDA

View Full Version : PETITION TO INCREASE # of IFT's

tsptalk
02-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Petition to Increase # of Interfund Transfers!

One of our members has created a petition to request an increase in the # of IFTs we can use per month.

Please Sign the Petition (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-4-free-interfund-transfers-month-thrift-savings-plan)

... and pass it along to anyone you know who may be interested. Apparently you don't have to be a government employee or a military member to sign. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please make sure you confirm the signature by checking your email after signing.

100,000 signatures sounds monumental, but if we can get the link out to our agencies and get co-workers, friends, spouses, etc., to sign as well, you never know how viral it will go.

Thanks to David for getting this going!

Petition Title: Allow 4 free interfund transfers a month in the Thrift Savings Plan

In 2008 the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) changed the policy concerning interfund transfers (IFTs) from unlimited trades to two trades, although allowing a final trade into the G Fund. This policy prevents government employees and military members from being in control of their own retirement account.

This policy needs to be amended to allow 4 free IFTs per month, while always allowing a last free IFT into the G Fund. Additional IFTs (More than 4 IFTs) should be allowed for a fee commensurate with industry standards.

Give back to government employees and military members control over their retirement account. It is their money after all.

tsptalk
02-14-2017, 10:49 AM
I don't know how often that site updates it counts. I know it is being signed but the counts haven't changed as far as I can tell. :suspicious:

nnuut
02-14-2017, 11:00 AM
I signed it's still on 1.

Intrepid_Timer
02-14-2017, 11:55 AM

Russians.....................

Lindoug
02-14-2017, 12:00 PM
:suspicious:

Misleading ... and disappointing!

pmcint01
02-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Signed!

tsptalk
02-14-2017, 12:14 PM
I googled it and there were several incidents of people complaining that the count isn't changing, but looking at their petitions, it does look like it eventually changes.

blackoutcl
02-14-2017, 12:14 PM
signed. 99,997 more to go

weatherweenie
02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
I signed. Where's my participation trophy?

tsptalk
02-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Here's some feedback from someone else having the same updated count issue...

A spokesperson for the White House said, “It’s a question of high volume at the end of the day, but the signatures are being captured. Because of high volume they’re having to change how they’re being captured.” The spokesperson did not elaborate on what that change would entail.

ravensfan
02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
I signed. Where's my participation trophy?

You only get a trophy if you are the closest to guessing how many people will actually sign the petition. :nuts:

1965Vintage
02-14-2017, 01:18 PM
When I go back on shift Thursday I plan to send the petition link to everyone I know. I am sure most of them will sign and they will send it on to everyone they know. If we all do this getting 100,000 signatures wont take long at all.

badeye28
02-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Signed!

moe1joe2
02-14-2017, 01:50 PM
signed too!

RazorCat
02-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Signed. Count still at 1.

guppie
02-14-2017, 03:01 PM
never got the confirmation email

RazorCat
02-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Some of the other petitions listed on the website are interesting.
I'm going to start a "Flat Tax For All Americans" petition.

rktect1
02-14-2017, 08:20 PM
I think I was #2 to sign.

mbrogz3000
02-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Signed - and I'm very selective with signing my name on these petitions. Only tidbit the petition is missing is requesting for us to be able to perform the trade at the end of the day.

tsptalk
02-14-2017, 10:19 PM
Everyone's job now is to forward the link to others. We'll never get close to 100,000 unless the link goes viral throughout the agencies.

blueroadster
02-14-2017, 10:43 PM
How can we see who actually signed? I signed but remember in the past that you could see a running list of signatures with first name and last initial.

tsptalk
02-14-2017, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure if we can, but I never signed one of these before. I don't see signatures on any other petition posted either.

SPOT_LT
02-15-2017, 01:15 AM
Signed Just Now

nasa1974
02-15-2017, 06:38 AM
I signed this morning and still only showing one.

czapor1967
02-15-2017, 09:23 AM
I signed it!

tsptalk
02-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone!

I am sending out an email blast this morning to about 17,000 people. :eek:

If you get it, please forward it to a few others if you can

RazorCat
02-15-2017, 11:16 AM
One suggestion for getting this link out. If available where you live, e-mail the link to to whomever is in charge of your Retiree's group, and asked them to e-mail the link to all members.
Also, you can e-mail the link to your local AFGE President (or other appropriate union president) so they can get it out to local, regional, national members. That would certainly put us over the top for 100,00 signatures and beyond.

RazorCat
02-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Just spoke with the President of the local Texarkana Retiree's Association. I'm sending him the link to e-mail all the members (300+). And I'll be taking the information to annual firearms recertification training to pass on.
Working on finding the newest local AFGE officers.

sgtbriangreen
02-15-2017, 03:59 PM
I just signed. Still showing 1 signature. Holy crap at all of the whiney babies petitioning for stooped stuff on there!!!!!!!!!!!

The_General
02-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Signed and got email to verify my signature. Done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James48843
02-15-2017, 10:38 PM
When we did the petition in 2008, when they took our unlimited transfers away, we got up to about 3,800 signatures over a period of a month, and that was with a couple of news articles mentioning it.

I'll sign, but I really don't expect a Whitehouse.gov petition for this to make it to 100,000.

That said- the Trump Show Us Your Taxes petition in Whitehouse.gov topped 100,000 in a few days. I don't think we're quite in that category. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using TSP Talk Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=74921)

burrocrat
02-15-2017, 11:54 PM
well i was going to say something with a political agenda, but i decided to just sign the petition instead.

Weather
02-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Signed!

tsptalk
02-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Great! That puts us up to 1 signature. :laugh:

I think gov't computer programmers need a little more training. I always tried to ditch those classes when they sent me.

It seems people have been complaining about this signature update count for months, at least. I would think it would take 2 minutes to fix. Let's go people!

Cactus
02-16-2017, 10:27 AM
How long did it take you to get your confirmation email?

It's been two hours and I still haven't got mine. :(

nasa1974
02-16-2017, 10:33 AM
I got mine in just a few minutes.

Cactus
02-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Hmm. I never got mine at work. I guess they filtered it out. I thought being on a Government system that would be the quickest way, but I was wrong. I guess the Government doesn't trust email from whitehouse.gov.

I finally got it verified by signing it again with a disposable (SPAM collector) email account. :banana:

FishSqueezer
02-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Signed, still showing only 1 signature. :notrust:

ravensfan
02-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Signed. Got e-mail confirmation this morning...:1244:

shitepoke
02-16-2017, 11:14 PM
Russians.....................
Funny part is that we still think nobody is watching...

Maricar19
02-17-2017, 05:10 AM
Signed, still showing only 1 signature. :notrust:

Mine,too.It showed 1 signed when my husband and I both signed and already confirmed our email.

RazorCat
02-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Talked to an officer on Thursday at FCI Texarkana. Come to find out the local AFGE President (and Regional V.P.) is a friend of mine. Been a while since I stepped foot in that place. How times change.
Anyway, I've called and left him a message about getting the IFT link out to his members, locally and regionally, and possibly nation-wide. I'm going to call him again on Monday to see if that's a possibility. The last discussion he and I had was about a month ago at the local Academy. We talked about TSP investing mostly, and I reminded him of TSPTalk. He's big on TSP, and is very active in moving his money around. So, I'm thinking he'll see the importance of increasing monthly IFTs, and should be willing to get the word out to his Union counterparts.
I'll let everyone know how it goes.

tsptalk
02-18-2017, 03:26 PM
The good news, it updated the count. The bad news...

232 signed

Oh, well. It ain't gonna happen.

DreamboatAnnie
02-18-2017, 07:29 PM
The good news, it updated the count. The bad news...

Oh, well. It ain't gonna happen.i signed as well and forwarded it to friends. Wow.... I thought it would be higher. :(

tsptalk
02-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Perhaps the counter is just several days behind because today it jumped to ...

1,719 signed

Not nearly enough but at least people will no longer think they are the only one signing it.

We still have some work to do... https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-4-free-interfund-transfers-month-thrift-savings-plan

okdude
02-20-2017, 04:26 PM
This is very good to know that there is a forum! However, I can not believe the low number of support for increasing our ability to move our funds. I've seen scenario's where an everyday guy could make $4000.00 in one single move in 3 or 4 days, right.

FogSailing
02-21-2017, 09:08 AM
I sent the link off to AFGE and a few federal websites and asked them to get the word out. no idea if they will but worth a try.

FS

RazorCat
02-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Finally was able to contact the local AFGE President. He was familiar with the petition, and with TSPTalk.
I sent him the link, and asked that he contact his Regional and National reps. to also pass it on. He said he would be happy to. AFGE has over 300,000 dues paying members, and they represent over 670,000 federal employees. All the locals maintain a Facebook page, so the word should get out quickly. Maybe we can reach, or surpass our goal if it gains some traction with the AFGE. I'm going to let it percolate for a few weeks, and then I intend to write the AFGE National President to ask for his support, and possibly have him write the TSP Board.
Fingers crossed.

rreiche
02-21-2017, 02:01 PM
All, as the one who created the petition, i just wanted to give you an update. There are currently 1854 signatures on the petition. obviously we need about 98,000 more. Please continue to share with everyone. TSP participation is not required to sign the petition. Also, make sure everyone knows that when they sign it, they will receive an email requiring them to click on the link to verify their signing the petition. Thanks again.

rreiche
02-21-2017, 02:09 PM
All, as the one who created the petition, i just wanted to give you an update. There are currently 1854 signatures on the petition. obviously we need about 98,000 more. Please continue to share with everyone. TSP participation is not required to sign the petition. Also, make sure everyone knows that when they sign it, they will receive an email requiring them to click on the link to verify their signing the petition. Thanks again.

RazorCat
02-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Great idea on your part rreiche.
If we get it out to enough TSP participants we'll get our 100,000, and then some. I really believe one of best sources for getting this out to the most people with minimal effort is by contacting the leadership of the various government unions. There are hundreds of thousands of members who are invested in TSP. All of the unions maintain a Facebook page as far as I could see. I'm not on FB, but surely there's a way to post the link, and a short message on the FB pages for members to see.
Maybe Tom has an idea about posting the link thru TSPTalk.

waltj
02-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Why not post it to the TSP Facebook Page, that should get some attention.:D

tsptalk
02-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Maybe Tom has an idea about posting the link thru TSPTalk.

I've already posted and promoted the post on our Facebook page (and Twitter). I don't think I should be the one to post the link on TSP's official Facebook page since they no likey the TSP Talk so much. It's been a long time, but we were the reason they moved to a 2 IFT limit years ago, and a lot of bad things were said on both sides.

But one of their loyal participants can post the link. :) You can either find and share our post on Facebook ...

https://www.facebook.com/tsptalk/

Or just post this into a page...

Please sign and forward as much as you can... https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-4-free-interfund-transfers-month-thrift-savings-plan

weatherweenie
02-22-2017, 09:29 AM
I just tried posting the petition link to the TSP Facebook page. The post has to be approved, so I doubt it will be posted.

I've already posted and promoted the post on our Facebook page (and Twitter). I don't think I should be the one to post the link on TSP's official Facebook page since they no likey the TSP Talk so much. It's been a long time, but we were the reason they moved to a 2 IFT limit years ago, and a lot of bad things were said on both sides.

But one of their loyal participants can post the link. :) You can either find and share our post on Facebook ...

https://www.facebook.com/tsptalk/

Or just post this into a page...

Please sign and forward as much as you can... https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-4-free-interfund-transfers-month-thrift-savings-plan

rreiche
02-22-2017, 09:38 AM
All, i posted the petition information on a few of the posts on the TSP facebook pace that had more than a few thousand views. I also emailed a couple of people in the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) asking them to support the petition. If you know any other Unions or organizations with a lot of members feel free to send them the below.

All, I created a petition concerning the Thrift Savings Plan. We currently have over 1900 signatures but we need 100,000.

The petition is calling to allow employees to get control back concerning their retirement accounts. You don't have to be a military member or a government employee (more than 3 million participants in the TSP) to sign the petition. So please add your name to the petition and share as widely as possible on all of your social media accounts. Below is the letter you can share but make sure everyone knows they don't have to be in the TSP to sign the petition. Once you sign it, you will get an email confirming your signature with a link. You need to click the link verifying your signature or the signature will not be counted. We all really appreciate your support.

Dear friends,

I wanted to let you know about a new petition I created on We the People, a new feature on WhiteHouse .gov, and ask for your support. Will you add your name to mine? If this petition gets 99,999 signatures by March 16, 2017, the White House will review it and respond!

We the People allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the White House to take action on a range of issues. If a petition gets enough support, the White House will issue an official response.

You can view and sign the petition here:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-4-free-interfund-transfers-month-thrift-savings-plan

Here's some more information about this petition:

Allow 4 free interfund transfers a month in the Thrift Savings Plan

In 2008 the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) changed the policy concerning interfund transfers (IFTs) from unlimited trades to two trades, although allowing a final trade into the G Fund. This policy prevents government employees and military members from being in control of their own retirement account.

This policy needs to be amended to allow 4 free IFTs per month, while always allowing a last free IFT into the G Fund. Additional IFTs (More than 4 IFTs) should be allowed for a fee commensurate with industry standards.

Give back to government employees and military members control over their retirement account. It is their money after all.

rreiche
02-22-2017, 09:57 AM
I also emailed representatives of the Federal Law Enforcement Officer's Association (FLEOA) and National Federation of Federal Employees union requesting their support. I will let you all know what i hear.

nasa1974
02-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Government News, Research and Events for Federal Employees - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/)

The Hiring Freeze Takes a Toll on One Benefit, a Petition for a TSP Tweak and More
By GovExec Staff (http://www.govexec.com/voices/govexec-staff/6750/) February 22, 2017 5 Comments (http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/pay-benefits-watch/2017/02/hiring-freeze-takes-toll-one-benefit-petition-tsp-tweak-and-more/135637/?oref=river#disqus_thread)
The Hiring Freeze Takes a Toll on One Benefit, a Petition for a TSP Tweak and More - Pay & Benefits Watch - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/pay-benefits-watch/2017/02/hiring-freeze-takes-toll-one-benefit-petition-tsp-tweak-and-more/135637/?oref=river)

"Meanwhile, a petitioner on the White House’s “We the People” site (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-4-free-interfund-transfers-month-thrift-savings-plan) is requesting a tweak to federal employees’ 401(k)-style retirement plan. The petition filed Feb. 14 asks that the Thrift Savings Plan allow four free transfers among its funds per month, rather than the two currently available. TSP reduced the number of free interfund transfers to two in 2008 (http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2008/04/tsp-finalizes-rules-on-fund-transfer-restrictions/26760/), in an effort to curb rising transaction costs caused by a relatively small number of participants who made frequent trades.
The petition argues that “this policy prevents government employees and military members from being in control of their own retirement account.” So far 1,960 people have signed; petitions required 100,000 signatures to get a response from the White House during the Obama administration.
Kim Weaver, director for external affairs for the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, on Wednesday said the board does not plan to change the rule. “Nothing that has happened in industry practice or in the TSP has given us reason to revisit the limitation imposed in 2008,” she wrote in an email. “At the end of the day, the TSP is a retirement plan, not a mutual fund.” ..."

tsptalk
02-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Kim Weaver, director for external affairs for the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, on Wednesday said the board does not plan to change the rule.
Well it's good to know they have no interest in listening to the participants regardless of the outcome of the petition. Sounds about right.

rreiche
02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Actually, as of this morning we only need 97,978 more :laugh:

rreiche
02-23-2017, 09:54 AM
the reason i created the petition from whitehouse.gov is because while TSP may not be interested in making changes, the Executive branch can force the change. 100,000 signatures by law forces the Executive branch to response to the petition. that said, i don't know what kind of response we would get.

rreiche
02-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Does anyone else have any ideas on how to present this petition to a large group of people? we need at least 10,000 signatures for the petition to go public on the website where anyone going to the petition page will be able to see it. we have just over 2000 now.

nasa1974
02-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Well it's good to know they have no interest in listening to the participants regardless of the outcome of the petition. Sounds about right.

I guess when they gave us the opportunity to move funds on a daily basis that it wasn't thought out very well. So about 1% of total participants took advantage of the daily trades and the board panicked. What would have happened if 5% of the participants had traded daily? Anyway it would be nice to have the trade deadline at 4pm EST instead of noon. Sure would make it easier for the folks west of the Rockies.

jkenjohnson
02-23-2017, 10:10 AM
already did. still need a lot of people to sign

RazorCat
02-23-2017, 10:37 AM
I guess when they gave us the opportunity to move funds on a daily basis that it wasn't thought out very well. So about 1% of total participants took advantage of the daily trades and the board panicked. What would have happened if 5% of the participants had traded daily? Anyway it would be nice to have the trade deadline at 4pm EST instead of noon. Sure would make it easier for the folks west of the Rockies.
Yeah, those were the good ol' days. I had to keep a listing of which fund I was in on a given day on my government wall calendar. Made a ton of money during that time. As a young man, it helped me build a great base from which to work from, and learn about the power of compound interest. Mentioned the other day on here that I have my "cease and desist" letter from the TSP Board framed, and displayed proudly in my home office.
Good times.

RazorCat
02-23-2017, 11:13 AM
I took for the team this morning. I joined FB. :aargh4:
Said I'd never do it. But, my first post (and possibly last) was to the TSP FB page.
And I got the same "we have to review your post" message. We'll see if they support the 1st amendment.
Interesting TSP would issue a statement addressing an increase in IFTs before they even see how many participants support it. Guess we know where we stand with at least some of those in the Greg Long regime.

nasa1974
02-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah, those were the good ol' days. I had to keep a listing of which fund I was in on a given day on my government wall calendar. Made a ton of money during that time. As a young man, it helped me build a great base from which to work from, and learn about the power of compound interest. Mentioned the other day on here that I have my "cease and desist" letter from the TSP Board framed, and displayed proudly in my home office.
Good times.

I didn't get a nasty gram, but did take advantage of the extra IFT's. That was the time frame I helped work out the <1% moves with squalbear.

zzzgator
02-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Article today: The Hiring Freeze Takes a Toll on One Benefit, a Petition for a TSP Tweak and More - Pay & Benefits Watch - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/pay-benefits-watch/2017/02/hiring-freeze-takes-toll-one-benefit-petition-tsp-tweak-and-more/135637/?oref=pay_benefits_nl)

tsptalk
02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Thanks. Saw that gator. We were talking about it earlier.

FogSailing
02-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Just FYI. I forwarded the WH petition and the Gov. Exec article to AFGE HQ's, Mike Causey, and Fed Smith and friends at DOE and asked them to please get the word out to federal staff. No idea if anybody will do anything but at least I tried. 2MorYrs had contacts at NARFE. Perhaps he can get them involved.

FS

tsptalk
02-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks FS. This is bringing some of us down memory lane. People like Causey hated us back then so I'm sure he won't help. They are part of the world where big banks and government know better than us stupid little people.

rreiche
02-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Morning update. 2186 signatures.

RazorCat
02-24-2017, 09:30 AM
I'll give the local Union President a few days, and give him a call back. I still believe getting the word out to the various Union officials is one of the bet ways to reach the largest single group. And they're normally very pro-active if they deem it beneficial to their members.
Have a great weekend everybody.

rreiche
02-24-2017, 10:15 AM
I just shared this with my cousin-in-law (publicly known as the Picasso of Snap Chat). He has literally more than 500,000 followers. we shall see how that goes.

Cactus
02-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Kim Weaver, director for external affairs for the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, on Wednesday said the board does not plan to change the rule. “Nothing that has happened in industry practice or in the TSP has given us reason to revisit the limitation imposed in 2008,” she wrote in an email. “At the end of the day, the TSP is a retirement plan, not a mutual fund.” ..."

Actually, our index funds are mutual funds. You go to sell and you get the share price they determine at the end of the day. It certainly isn't an ETF or stock that you can sell during market hours for a specific asking price.

rktect1
02-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Morning update. 2186 signatures.

How is it possible that this is not getting more traction?

tsptalk
02-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Apathy and ignorance. :aargh4:

Intrepid_Timer
02-24-2017, 07:19 PM
For those that don't know, A LOT of company retirement accounts require you to hold a fund for anywhere from 30 to 180 days. I'd hate to have to deal with those restrictions. This is the policy for Mutual of America:

"What Is Frequent Transfer Activity?
Mutual of America generally considers frequent transfer activity to have occurred if any purchase or transfer of approximately $10,000 or more in any investment fund and/or the Interest Accumulation Account under your annuity contract(s) is followed by redemptions of approximately $10,000 or more from that fund within a thirty (30) day period.

It also includes the reverse transaction into the same fund (e.g., redemption of approximately $10,000 or more from any fund, followed within thirty (30) days by a replacement of approximately $10,000 or more, regardless of the source). We monitor transfers in a fund across all of a customer’s annuity contracts. Therefore, a pair of transactions in the same fund is considered a frequent transfer even if each portion involves different annuity contracts."

Would I like a couple of more IFTs per month? Absolutely! However, that is available outside of TSP and nothing is keeping you from opening an account outside of TSP, either a taxable account or not. All you have to do is get off your duff and do it.................. :ban:

rreiche
02-27-2017, 09:20 AM
2302 signatures this morning. it does not look like we will get the support we need. If this petition was about saving pygmy geckos off the coast of some far away land i bet we'd get half a million signatures.

burrocrat
02-27-2017, 09:36 AM
2302 signatures this morning. it does not look like we will get the support we need. If this petition was about saving pygmy geckos off the coast of some far away land i bet we'd get half a million signatures.

i love pygmy geckos! as long as i don't have to eat them more than twice per month.

James48843
02-27-2017, 09:36 AM
I really hate to disappoint anyone- BUT- when we did the petition at the time of the changes to the actual rule, we had around 4,000 signatures- and submitted them in accordance with the rules of the actual Federal Register / Administrative Procedures Act.

This petition is not a regulatory petition, and the Whitehouse Site has no legal authority to require any action. Just look at the current state of the Whitehouse Petition to require Trump to make his tax returns public- there are more than a MILLION signatures on that petition, and ...NOTHING.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

All the Whitehouse.gov petition site is- (as set up by President Obama) is a way to ASK the government to do something- or make a statement related to something, AND there is no legal ramifications if they decide, like they have with the Taxes question- to simply ignore the will of the people.

We don't live in a democracy. Sorry.

Itchn2retire
02-28-2017, 01:46 PM
I have transferred my savings out of TSP and into a brokerage account. No regrets here. I can trade all day and the only limitation I have now is waiting the three days for the funds to settle after a sell. It's so much easier to manage my investments than with TSP and I have way more more options to get into a specific area with ETF's.

(I still signed the petition)

tsptalk
02-28-2017, 04:30 PM
I have transferred my savings out of TSP and into a brokerage account. No regrets here. I can trade all day and the only limitation I have now is waiting the three days for the funds to settle after a sell. It's so much easier to manage my investments than with TSP and I have way more more options to get into a specific area with ETF's.

Me too. I left $50K in there just so I'd still have a TSP account, but most went to an IRA. No regrets either.

By the way, I'm not sure if you know but that 3 day settlement just means you can't sell anything you bought with your prior sale before the 3 days.

Example:

Sell $1000 worth of ABC.

Buy $1000 worth of XYZ that same day (allowed).

Can't sell XYZ until the 3rd day.

Itchn2retire
03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
By the way, I'm not sure if you know but that 3 day settlement just means you can't sell anything you bought with your prior sale before the 3 days.

Yes I'm aware. I just don't want to get in a habit of using unsettled funds in the event I miscalculate an entry and would like to get out. I do have one trade where I would have no issue using unsettled funds as I know I'll be holding that ETF for more than three days. Even if I got in too early and price drops after buying in.

Skorcher
03-01-2017, 11:15 AM

(I still signed the petition)

Are you losing much on the commissions and bid/ask spread by making frequent trades using ETF's?

Itchn2retire
03-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Are you losing much on the commissions and bid/ask spread by making frequent trades using ETF's?

Not really. $7 a trade so $14 total to get in and out. I'll gladly pay $14 to make $5k.

rktect1
03-01-2017, 12:05 PM
Me too. I left $50K in there just so I'd still have a TSP account, but most went to an IRA. No regrets either.

Example:

Sell $1000 worth of ABC.

Buy $1000 worth of XYZ that same day (allowed).

Can't sell XYZ until the 3rd day.

I very much want to pull all my tsp money out and put it into my Vanguard account but I am worried about what that might cost me. If I move it directly into a roth IRA, I suppose then maybe nothing right?

tsptalk
03-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Not really. $7 a trade so $14 total to get in and out. I'll gladly pay $14 to make $5k.

Fidelity just lowered their commissions to $4.95. I assume others will follow.

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/commissions-margin-rates

And of course robinhood.com is free.