PDA

View Full Version : Mutual Fund Equivilants

FlyBoyCarrier
03-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Are ther any Mutual funds that tend to be similar to the ones offered in our plan? I'm guessing VSGBX,VBMFX,VFINX,VEXMX........... but I can't find anything similar to the "I" fund. Can anyone help or correct me? Thanks

yakers
03-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I searched around and never found funds that were exactly like the TSP funds although the Vanguard index funds come close for C and S. But I find the G fund the hardest to find an equivalent, is this want you use VSGBX for?

FUTURESTRADER
03-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Scudder Advisor Fds II, EAFE E (BTAEX) very close to the I fund

EW_ret
03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
The Vanguard Developed Markets Index fund (VDMIX) in best Vanguard match to the I fund on a intermediate and long term. However, it often differs from I fund on short term, day to day, basis. It’s YTD (3-2-06) and 1 Year (2-28-06) returns are +5.68% and +17%, compared to +5.74% and +17.48% for I Fund. The I fund is ahead of the Vanguard fund because of its much lower expenses, 0.05% versus 0.29% for Vanguard.

FlyBoyCarrier
03-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Yakers,

Yes, but if there is a better like-fund I'd be happy to use it. I use these funds to mimic what TSP has to offer when using Morningstar to manage my total portfolio. I know it is not exact but it definitely is a help.

And thank you EWGuy and Futurestrader for your help.

Birchtree
03-04-2006, 04:17 PM
You might look at AEPGX - The American Europacific Fund - I own it in my wifes' retirement plan and she contributes via her employer and uses dollar cost averaging to rake in more shares. It's been doing great since 11/02. I saw this turn around in Japan and Europe way back when. Now if I can be prescient enough to see the top - and there ain't no top yet. Good luck.

Dennis

Fivetears
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Playboy Model Beats Top Mutual Funds In Q2
At the end of the second quarter (Q2), the S&P 500 is up 2.71%. Mutual funds fared slightly better. According to Morningstar.com, the average performance of 9855 U.S. stock mutual funds is +3.19%. Meanwhile, Playboy's 2005 Cyber Girl of the Year Amy Sue Cooper is still leading the TradingMarkets/Playboy 2006 Stock Picking Contest with a year-to-date return of 32.37%. Amy Sue's best performing stocks are both in the energy sector: Drill Quip (DRQ) and Pacific Ethanol (PEIX)
http://tradingmarkets.com/.site/Daytrading/commentary/lftw/Playboy-model-beats-top-mutual-funds-in-Q2.cfm