PDA

View Full Version : Re-upping your TSP Catch Up Contributions?

bamafamily
12-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Hey All,
So...as the end of the year looms, I was looking at my contributions.
The limits for 2017 are the same as 2016 @ $18,000

I have maxxed out my TSP contributions at $18K and also a Fidelity Roth IRA at $6K..(no paperwork needed...should keep humming along)

I maxxed out my Pre-Tax TSP IRA at 6K as well, but by the rules, it looks like I need to resubmit the forms for 2017 for the TSP Catch Up.

That is where the question comes in....
Do I need to resubmit the paper form or can I use EMployee Express???
EE has a field that says future effective date and it is currently filled in with 12/25/2016...

Any ideas on the easiest way to resubmit for the coming year??

thanks
Bama

Skorcher
12-23-2016, 10:40 AM
I find Employee Express the easiest way to continue the TSP catch-up or to make any changes to TSP contributions. I haven't used paper forms in eons. For me pay period 25 (which is paid on 1/3/17) is the first 2017 pay period to reflect TSP contribution changes. One year I forgot to renew the catch-up and noticed it in my pay stub. I was able to go to Employee Express and submit it with a 24 pay period spread.

alevin
12-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I used my online HR system to restart TSP Catchup for the new tax year, did that on Monday, starting pp25.

bamafamily
12-25-2016, 10:08 PM
I used my online HR system to restart TSP Catchup for the new tax year, did that on Monday, starting pp25.

I find Employee Express the easiest way to continue the TSP catch-up or to make any changes to TSP contributions. I haven't used paper forms in eons. For me pay period 25 (which is paid on 1/3/17) is the first 2017 pay period to reflect TSP contribution changes. One year I forgot to renew the catch-up and noticed it in my pay stub. I was able to go to Employee Express and submit it with a 24 pay period spread.

Thanks for the comments guys.... When I went in last week and look at my Employee Express, it said under Traditional Pre-Tax and Traditional Pre Tax Catch Up that the effective date was 12/25.
Now here I am on 12/25 and I went and looked again and both dates have changed to 1/8/2017
I am trying to make sure that I dont skip a pay period, so when I click on "Change" it already has my Catch Up contribution filled in and the effective date of 1/8/2017.

I am trying to figure out if I can just do something on EE to continue a years worth of Catch Ups...or if it is already done...
I dont think I have really changed anything to this point.....

I guess I am looking for the exact process usingg EE (if possible) to continue the contributions..
thx
Bama