PDA

View Full Version : User Titles

tsptalk
02-26-2006, 12:41 PM
This new forum software has so many potential bells and whistles but I haven't had time to go in and play. One thing that may be fun is that I can go in and change the User Titles of the members. Currently there are only 3 boring titles:

Junior Member - (posts needed=0)
Member - (posts needed=30)
Senior Member - (posts needed=100)

I will take suggestions for new names and numbers of posts. I think somewhere between 5 to 10 titles will work well.

As an example, I saw something like this on one board (I added the TSP part)...

Regular (posts needed=0)
Enthusiast (posts needed=50)
Club TSP (posts needed=100)
One with TSP (posts needed=200)
TSP Crazy (posts needed=500)
TSP Sage (posts needed=1000)
TSP Guru (posts needed=3000)

Go for it! Make suggestions...

Thanks!
Tom

Wizard
02-26-2006, 01:04 PM
There is a retirement site that I read that has some funny ones.

1-150 post is "confused about dryer sheets"
151-500 posts is "started an IRA"

upper range is like

3000-5000 "likes to hear themselves talk".

Can not link - **requires registering with a paid e-mail account** Such as AOL, Earthlink, etc.

Neat idea Tom. Hopefully you get some great ideas.

This should be a good one to pin for a week or two.

Have a great rest of the weekend. :D

tsptalk
02-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I was going to use TSP Wizard as the top dog, but someone already has it.

Love the dryer sheets one. :)

vicky
02-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Go for it! Make suggestions... Thanks! Tom[
__________________________________________________ __

I hope you would take into consideration quantity verses quality before using the last two (above) Titles.

tsptalk
02-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Go for it! Make suggestions... Thanks! Tom
__________________________________________________ __

I hope you would take into consideration quantity verses quality before using the last two (above) Titles.

Unfortunately it is not that sophisticated. I see your point. Perhaps this is more appropriate.

Likes to hear themselves talk (posts needed=1000) (from wizard's post)
TSP Blabber Mouth (posts needed=3000)

:D

vicky
02-26-2006, 10:52 PM
tsptalk wrote:
Unfortunately it is not that sophisticated. I see your point. Perhaps this is more appropriate.

Likes to hear themselves talk (posts needed=1000) (from wizard's post)
TSP Blabber Mouth (posts needed=3000) :D

Spaf
02-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Quote TSP Talk
"This new forum software has so many potential bells and whistles but I haven't had time to go in and play. One thing that may be fun is that I can go in and change the User Titles of the members. Currently there are only 3 boring titles:

Junior Member - (posts needed=0)
Member - (posts needed=30)
Senior Member - (posts needed=100)"

On this board we have members, moderators and an administrator. What we lack is defining our expertise in the market and our risk/reward position.

For example: At age 25-45: aggressive, 45-55: growth, 56-65: balanced, 66-75: conservative, 76+: short term.

All members are equal (Generally). However, their time on the TSP Talk board should be recognized.
All members are unequal. Considering their life position to retirement.
Regular members. Sould be noted, with some degree of their position.
Retired members. Should be noted.
Moderators. Should be noted.
Administrator. Should be noted.

When I create a new Market Talk thread on a weekly basis do you think my retirement in 5 months influences my position? Dang right it does! Is this the message that 25-45 year old members need, probably not!

So, if Tom has all the bells and whistles, lets get organized! [Thanks Tom!]

My 2 cents!.........Rgds and be careful...........:) ..........Spaf

Rod
02-28-2006, 01:42 AM
I think when it comes to differentiating between our overall aggressiveness, perhaps these will help. They can coicide with someone's birthday in their profile if they wish to divulge their age which I believe should at least be mandatory for those with Account threads so readers can get a better feel for them. Ages are approximate:

TSP Liberal (age 18-40)

TSP Moderate (age 41-60)

TSP Conservative (age 61-65)

Of course, someone around 40 could very well be conservative, especially if they are nearing a military retirement and plan to withdraw their monies upon that.

Just an idea to toss around.

God Bless:)

Wizard
02-28-2006, 06:08 AM
Rod,

How about Right Winger, Left Winger, Righty, Lefty, Right Center, Left Center, Independent?

Your idea for titles is a good one but sounds to political, at least to me.

Also, some folks are touchy about giving their ages. Could be a turn off to some.

mlk_man
03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Might I recommend basing someone's "title" on their returns in a given period. I realize that most people that come here are looking for guidance and don't have an account thread so who better to listen to and/or follow, someone who consistently has a good return or someone who doesn't but has the "gift of gab"? There are plenty of newsletters out there and plenty of bulls and bears. I think that technically Tom and a couple others here provide plenty of market analyses to help one make up their own mind about rather to be long or short. Other than that, we have lots of opinions about which way the market is going and about how to play it, which in the long run I think helps, but not necessarily today.

Ideally I think a good return should be based on your age and time to retirement like the L funds. Since we are all at different levels, I think the 20% in each fund should be the benchmark. It seems to fall in the middle.

Perhaps do something like......if you match the 20% in each fund during a particular timeframe, your title could be "someone to listen to". 1% above could be "someone to keep an eye on". 2% above "someone you might wanna marry". Over 3% above "someone to let your child marry".

In the opposing direction, 1% below "someone who's almost there", 2% below "someone who shouldn't quit their day job", over 3% below "someone who should take up politics".........:p

You get the idea. Just a suggestion............

RevShark, will you marry me? :D

tsptalk
03-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Here we go. This user title is based on participation and nothing else.

User Title Minimum Posts
Newbie - 0
TSP Starter - 10
TSP Talker - 100
Team TSP - 500
Club TSP - 1000
Planet TSP - 2000
TSP Universe - 3000

We have other features for reputation now available.

sugarandspice
03-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Good point on the performance based system. Perhaps you should find a way to display the top twenty (weekly-monthly or whatever you choose ) performers with some kind of ranking that follows their name wherever they post. People could see that attached to their name and know that the person gets results. You can post all you want and the perception is that you know what your talking about but if your results suck then it can be seen along with your name. I think it is a good idea. I think it would help newcomers to this site. I know when I first came here I thought that certain people were actually better than they were because of their postings. But then you find out otherwise when you look at the results. You yourself Tom must admit that you have missed out on some healthy gains because of an overly cautious strategy. Everyone has their own style but consistent results will truly let the stars shine.

Wizard
03-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Here we go. This user title is based on participation and nothing else.

User Title Minimum Posts
Newbie - 0
TSP Starter - 20
TSP Talker - 100
Team TSP - 500
Club TSP - 1000
Planet TSP - 2000
TSP Universe - 3000

We have other features for reputation now available.

I like it! Maybe increase the amount of posts to get to the next level?

:)

tsptalk
03-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I like it! Maybe increase the amount of posts to get to the next level?

Really? Were you thinking between the 1000 / 2000 / 3000, or the lower end? I kind of like the quick progression early so those who aren't quite as active do see some moves up.

And thanks, I did like those names also. Not judgemental about how good or bad someone is, but merely levels of progression based on participation.

I'll still take suggestions for new "cool" titles while it's still early.

Wizard
03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Really?

First level of 20 posts is kind of low.

Maybe 50?

I do not like the "newbie" title.

How about "fresh meat"? Just kidding.

How about "new member"?

Thanks for thinking of improvements.

I like being the only confused guy on the rep points. :p Talk about a true contrary investor? Just were I like to be. Other side of the herd.

Griffin
03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Here’s my two cents (in descending order of seriousness)

How about a title based on equivalent L-Fund allocation and performance (with a quarterly update) using MM's descriptions:

“Perhaps do something like......if you match the 20% in each fund during a particular timeframe, your title could be "someone to listen to". 1% above could be "someone to keep an eye on". 2% above "someone you might wanna marry". Over 3% above "someone to let your child marry".

Similarly (and probably fitting as well) you adjust these to the five stages of grief

L2040 - Denial
L2030 – Anger
L2020 - Bargaining
L2010 - Depression
L-Income – Acceptance

One last Ranking – based on the five stages of a military operation (running joke – also probably fitting)

L2040 – Optimism and Enthusiasm
L2030 – Confusion and Denial
L2020 – Distribution of Blame
L2010 – Search for the Guilty
L-Income – Awards and Decorations for the Non-Participants
:D

tsptalk
03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Good point on the performance based system. Perhaps you should find a way to display the top twenty (weekly-monthly or whatever you choose ) performers with some kind of ranking that follows their name wherever they post. People could see that attached to their name and know that the person gets results. You can post all you want and the perception is that you know what your talking about but if your results suck then it can be seen along with your name. I think it is a good idea. I think it would help newcomers to this site. I know when I first came here I thought that certain people were actually better than they were because of their postings. But then you find out otherwise when you look at the results. You yourself Tom must admit that you have missed out on some healthy gains because of an overly cautious strategy. Everyone has their own style but consistent results will truly let the stars shine.

S&S -
I think the "Tally" page should provide that performance system you mention, but I guess that is not posted anymore? Is mlk_man doing that strickly through emails now - anyone know? I can post it to the board if that is the case. I am so out of touch lately. Thank goodness for our moderators. I better get on the email list.

A good message board has good participation and quality posts. I don't think we want reputation to judge their market prowess so much as - does this member provide good content, help others, answer questions, ask good questions (yes, novices can have a good reputation), etc. or on the otherside, are they putting other members down, giving misleading or useless information, completely off topic, offensive posts, etc.?

I see where you are coming from but this reputation I would say is to help new readers come in and see who to trust or who may be less than reputable. Hopefully we don't have very many of the latter. With few exeptions, this board has been very good that way so far.

Thanks,
Tom

tsptalk
03-02-2006, 11:42 AM
“Perhaps do something like......if you match the 20% in each fund during a particular timeframe, your title could be "someone to listen to". 1% above could be "someone to keep an eye on". 2% above "someone you might wanna marry". Over 3% above "someone to let your child marry".

:D Funny.

But again,this user title software is not that sophisticated. It simply counts posts.

The reputation is a little different in that it is based on others' input.

mlk_man
03-02-2006, 11:44 AM
[quote=tsptalk
I'll still take suggestions for new "cool" titles while it's still early.[/quote]

How about natural progession put to recording artists:

User Title Minimum Posts
Babyface - 0
Kid Rock - 20
Boyz 2 Men - 100
Young MC - 500
Ol Dirty Bastard - 1000
Grateful Dead - 2000
Elvis - 3000

:p

mlk_man
03-02-2006, 11:50 AM
S&S -
I think the "Tally" page should provide that performance system you mention, but I guess that is not posted anymore? Is mlk_man doing that strickly through emails now - anyone know? I can post it to the board if that is the case. I am so out of touch lately. Thank goodness for our moderators. I better get on the email list.

I do the weekly tracker through e-mail but at the end of the month I send it to Fundsurfer who puts everything into a neat little package and posts it in the "member allocation" thread as "Feb Tally", "Jan Tally", etc. May be hard to find after a month of posting..................Guess we could start it's own thread and make each monthly tally a "sticky" at the top of the thread so people can still post comments to them?

tsptalk
03-02-2006, 11:54 AM
I do the weekly tracker through e-mail but at the end of the month I send it to Fundsurfer who puts everything into a neat little package and posts it in the "member allocation" thread as "Feb Tally", "Jan Tally", etc. May be hard to find after a month of posting..................Guess we could start it's own thread and make each monthly tally a "sticky" at the top of the thread so people can still post comments to them?

That's perfect! Once a month is all we need.

And the new forum for just the tally is a great idea. I'll add it.

tsptalk
04-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Some adjustments have been made (4/3/07) to the title list. We are going to require that anyone who wishes to have an Account Thread (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=29)and be added to the tracking spreadsheet be a minimum of a "TSP Starter". That means you need to have 25 posts before being eligible.

I added the "Rookie" status so that Newbies can move up to a new level after 10 posts, which is what TSP Starter used to be.

TSP Starter is now at the 25 post level, and I added the TSP Elite and TSP Guru for those who are reaching beyond the 3000 post mark.

User Title Minimum Posts
Newbie - 0
Rookie - 10
TSP Starter - 25
TSP Talker - 100
Team TSP - 500
Club TSP - 1000
Planet TSP - 2000
TSP Universe - 3000
TSP Elite - 5000
TSP Guru - 10000

sugarandspice
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
1 more maybe..............TSP insignificant for sugarandspice.

tsptalk
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
An adjustment has been made (11/22/08) to the User Title list to accomodate the rising post counts.

Nnuut became our first Hall of Famer reaching the 10,000 post mark earlier this week, but his title on the board remains "Moderator". Congrats!

I've added the title of "TSP Legend" for anyone reaching the 20,000 post level. Nnutt should be there by the end of the week. :D

User Title Minimum Posts
Newbie - 0
Rookie - 10
TSP Starter - 25
TSP Talker - 100
Team TSP - 500
Club TSP - 1,000
Planet TSP - 2,000
TSP Universe - 3,000
TSP Elite - 5,000
TSP Guru - 7,500
Hall of Fame - 10,000
TSP Legend - 20,000

dannyboy
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
----------------------------------------------------------
:) Ol' dannyboy (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/member.php?u=4831) don't know much about your rules or qualifications or anything :confused: . Most of my time is spent, researching data, writing code, etc.I thank you for bringing up that mlk_man(MM). So. MM, I take it you really pissed someone off really bad, that they 'banned' you??? I had noticed that little milk bottle carrier was banned long ago and have always, used that, to keep all my input to the MB, as clean as possible, no matter how many $1000's I lost when following others advice. :embarrest:
Please inform me of where I'd go to get all the data relevant to MB use.
DB

tsptalk
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
?? http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3295 ??

burrocrat
12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
what do the little green squares mean that are up by the user title? why are some lit up, why do they change?

i looked around for an answer but so far no luck, can someone please explain?

Frixxxx
12-22-2009, 08:42 AM
what do the little green squares mean that are up by the user title? why are some lit up, why do they change?

i looked around for an answer but so far no luck, can someone please explain?
Click the scales (above the boxes)to give someone reputation.....the greeness gets brighter as more rep points are given!!!!

NOW GIVE ME REP FOR MY ANSWER ~~~~:laugh::laugh::laugh:

burrocrat
12-22-2009, 08:49 AM
thanks frixxxx for the helpful answer, i added to your rep, not that you needed much help there.

i didn't notice a change to your boxes when i did though, does each rep equal one box, and bad ones are dark green, light ones good maybe?

how come nobody has any red boxes around here?

is there a user manual for these types of things?

Frixxxx
12-22-2009, 08:54 AM
thanks frixxxx for the helpful answer, i added to your rep, not that you needed much help there.

i didn't notice a change to your boxes when i did though, does each rep equal one box, and bad ones are dark green, light ones good maybe?

how come nobody has any red boxes around here?

is there a user manual for these types of things?
I never have tried to give negative rep...although I hear it happens.

But then again, I don't think most people will do it, even if they get their fill.:cool:

Wow, I'm over 2K in posts. I need to get serious and make a difference with my words!

tsptalk
12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
The rep algorithm is programmed so that different members have different weight on others' rep. For example, your rep gets penalized for just randomly giving rep haphazardly to others. If your rep is high or you have a lot of posts, the rep you give will have more weight than if you are new or have low rep yourself.

We no longer allow members to give each other bad rep. We had problems with that as you might imagine. Only mods can give negative rep now.

burrocrat
02-05-2010, 11:03 PM
what does a red dot up by the username mean? is that like an attitude button or something? like maybe grey for blah, green for go market or something? red means danger will robinson?

can anyone help explain this? where do i click it?

tsptalk
02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
what does a red dot up by the username mean?
green dot = online
gray dot = offline
red dot = member hides their status

burrocrat
02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
OK, got it now, Quick Links>Edit Options>Invisible Mode.

That's an interesting feature. You mean a person could be "in the fourm but not of the forum"? Does one have to come out of the bushes to post or could you snipe away from the security of cover?

How voyueristic.