PDA

View Full Version : Stoplight's Post Retirement, Post TSP Thread

Stoplight
09-19-2016, 06:03 PM
All,

Sooo...I had a concern about continuing my posts in my Member's Account Talk thread...since I no longer have a dog in the TSP fight !

...Total change of subject : Having retired in 2012, and withdrew my last TSP dollar in 7/2015, I'm kinda feeling like I shouldn't be posting in my "Account Talk" thread any more, with stuff that has NOTHING to do with the TSP !!! (...but that never stopped me before !!!) ...lots of new people showing up here on the Board, and I have nothing to contribute RE: the discussion on the TSP any more...

I'm NOT going away, though... But should I start a thread in some other, more relevant (to my situation !) forum ??? Retirement and IRA Talk (posted my experiences there, already...) Investment Portfolios ? ETF Talk ?

Tom....what do ya think ???

Stoplight...

...and Tom responded :

Sorry Stoplight, I missed your question. Yeah, go for it. You can start a thread somewhere in our http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/investment-trading-and-finance-talk/ area where we talk less about TSP and more about trading.

It seems we have more and more folks retiring and going outside the TSP for return.

If you have any questions, just let me know (PM is better than asking in a post. )

So here's my NEW home for posts regarding my post-retirement investment decisions, and anything else that strikes my fancy (but doesn't get me in trouble with the rules or the Mods !!!)

Stoplight...

uscfanhawaii
09-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Well......you could start by telling us why you took out all your TSP after retiring, and whether you have any regrets!
Glad you are sticking around!! :usa2:

Stoplight
09-19-2016, 06:42 PM
A little background :

I kept a portion of my TSP intact, to pull monthly, without penalty, when I retired at age 57...full FERS eligible; receiving FERS Supplement...with military buy-back towards my FERS years...plan was to get to 59.5 years on the IRAs, so not to get hit with the withdrawal penalty !!!

Rolled the rest of my TSP, and the Wife's Teacher 403(b)'s, into our "traditional" IRAs...self-directed brokerage accounts with USAA...

Trying a mix of "Buy and hold", and trading with a premium service, with a small chunk of trading money...

Goal was stock and bond diversity, too, with an overall dividend of 4 %, to match our planned "rule of thumb" withdrawal rate...

OTOH, have NOT pulled anything out of the IRAs for a year, after the TSP ran out ! Didn't need it...retirement expenses lower than I planned (so far !), and my Ma died late last year, so we got a few unexpected bucks...

Anyway...a few major unexpected house expenses have come up recently, and we STILL want to schedule a trip to New Zealand and Australia in 2017 ! Yes, Kona...it's still on our list !!! :D

So that's where we're at, right now...

Stoplight...

Stoplight
09-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Well......you could start by telling us why you took out all your TSP after retiring, and whether you have any regrets!
Glad you are sticking around!! :usa2:

Thanks, Fan !!! :smile:

So that's easy ! NO REGRETS AT ALL !!! :D

Also, you could read the 9,000 pages in my "Retirement" thread, and around the Board, :D but one word sums it up :

"Flexibility" !!!

NO "2 IFT per month" rule, and you can put your money WHEREVER you see fit...WHENEVER you see fit !!! I just LIKE that, being in control of MY money...win or lose !!!

Granted...it's NOT for everyone...TSP funds have some real advantages...low fees, etc...and I can even see the annuity option works for certain people...just not my cup of tea !!!

Thanks for stopping by, at my "new" home !!! Hope you contribute again to the discussion !!! :smile:

Stoplight...

Stoplight
09-19-2016, 07:28 PM
So I'm becoming hinkey about the whole "diversity" thing...bonds and stocks losing money, and gaining money, each day....who knows ??? No rhyme nor reason !!! WAA ???

Bad feeling about this market...I have a bunch of buy-and-hold stinkers that have crapped out...but so far, they are STILL paying > 4% on my buy-in price !!! Hold and see what they do...

Go to cash, for now, on some of the green stuff...Went through my list of stuff that was paying a dividend, AND in the green from my buy-in ! ...targeted the < 4% dividend payers...

First move was to sell all my USAA Short Term Bond Fund...

Studying others for my next move...

Stoplight...

nasa1974
09-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Stoplight, glad you will keep posting. Sorry to hear about your mom.

Stoplight
10-26-2016, 06:17 PM
...Go to cash, for now, on some of the green stuff...Went through my list of stuff that was paying a dividend, AND in the green from my buy-in ! ...targeted the < 4% dividend payers...

First move was to sell all my USAA Short Term Bond Fund...

Studying others for my next move...

Stoplight...

Made a second move today...in an experiment, I bought AAPL and DIS in 8/15, ignoring my 4% dividend rule, and expecting a decent stock price run-up on both, instead.

Well, the AAPL has floundered around, while paying a 1.9% dividend....put it out of its misery today, for a whopping ROI of $37.84 on 100 shares ! :eek:

The DIS is even worse...currently showing a 1.3% dividend, and a ROI of -14%....oh well....I'll hang on to it a while and see if it claws its way back into the black, like AAPL did...

Stoplight...

nasa1974
10-27-2016, 05:52 AM
Made a second move today...in an experiment, I bought AAPL and DIS in 8/15, ignoring my 4% dividend rule, and expecting a decent stock price run-up on both, instead.

Well, the AAPL has floundered around, while paying a 1.9% dividend....put it out of its misery today, for a whopping ROI of $37.84 on 100 shares ! :eek:

The DIS is even worse...currently showing a 1.3% dividend, and a ROI of -14%....oh well....I'll hang on to it a while and see if it claws its way back into the black, like AAPL did...

Stoplight...

Hope you are having fun. At least you are not selling off the house on a whim. :D Good luck.

Stoplight
11-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Culled the herd some more today...

Didn't see it coming, but I sold my small lot of CMRE today...it's lost a bunch on stock price, but it HAD been paying a decent dividend...dropped from $145 to $50 this time....bit the bullet and sold !!! Realized gain of around -$4,600.

Sold 3 USAA funds, too...no fees, since I'm trading in a USAA Brokerage account :

USAIX USAA Income Bond
USISX USAA Income Stock
USIBX USAA Intermediate Bond

The USAA funds were on my radar because they paid <4% dividend...all 3 were in the black on ROI...

Hmmm...so the cash balance is getting pretty big ! Where do I put this money ! :eek:

I'm kinda liking my BGS and my BRKS !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
11-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Added to my BGS position today, putting some of that cash to work...

I like what they're doing with the Green Giant acquisition ; they pay ~4.5% dividend ; and they're raising their dividend by ~ 10% next quarter.

Stoplight...

About B&G Foods
B&G Foods, Inc. (NYSE: BGS) and its subsidiaries manufacture, sell and distribute a diversified portfolio of high-quality, branded shelf-stable and frozen foods across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Based in Parsippany, New Jersey, B&G Foods' products are marketed under many recognized brands, including Ac'cent, B&G, B&M, Baker's Joy, Bear Creek Country Kitchens, Brer Rabbit, Canoleo, Cary's, Cream of Rice, Cream of Wheat, Devonsheer, Don Pepino, Emeril's, Grandma's Molasses, Green Giant, JJ Flats, Joan of Arc, Las Palmas, Le Sueur, MacDonald's, Mama Mary's, Maple Grove Farms, Molly McButter, Mrs. Dash, New York Flatbreads, New York Style, Old London, Original Tings, Ortega, Pirate's Booty, Polaner, Red Devil, Regina, Sa-són, Sclafani, Smart Puffs, Spring Tree, Sugar Twin, Trappey's, TrueNorth, Underwood, Vermont Maid and Wright's. B&G Foods also sells and distributes Static Guard, a household product brand. For more information, please visit www.bgfoods.com (http://www.bgfoods.com/).

Stoplight
11-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Put some more of the cash to work today...somewhere on the Forum, I posted about buying in to an ETF...Global X Super Dividend U.S. ETF (DIV)...I think it was in my previous "Member's Account Talk" thread... :smile: Bought 2/2016, and it's paying ~7% dividend against my buy-in price.

So today, I continued my "experiment"...bought a companion ETF, but it's a GLOBAL dividend stock ETF...Global X Super Dividend World ETF (SDIV). It also appears to be paying ~7% right now...

Here's the beauty...both of these funds pay their dividend monthly, so it met my desire to have a place to stash money, short term. I MAY want/need the money to make other moves down the road...so I wanted something that wasn't too volatile, and maybe would pay enough to at least cover my trading costs, regardless of the underlying gain or loss....if held for 30 days. OTOH, (so far !), it's not a bad "buy-and-hold" investment, either... :smile:

NOT recommending either of these ETF's for anyone...just sharing my experiences and thoughts !!! YMMV ! Do your own "due diligence" !!! :D

Stoplight...

Stoplight
12-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Year end time...see where I stand on taxes, and re-balance my portfolio !!! :smile:

Due to a conglomeration of events, I processed my VERY FIRST WITHDRAWAL from our traditional IRAs today !!!
It's been a traumatic experience, and I don't know why !!!

OTOH, I've read about people who have a problem with spending their retirement savings, so I guess that's what's happening to me..."Will my money last us long enough ???" :eek:

I said "Send me $X and hold 20% for Fed taxes..." (or something like that !) Painless and fast ; all on-line, through USAA !!!

Crunching the post-withdrawal numbers today...objectively, we're in good shape...but DAMN !!! WHY does this bother me ??? Our re-balance to continue, as the year winds down...

A Christmas story (or two !) :

Today...the mail woman dropped off an unexpected parcel...it was from a Nephew and Niece who we aren't close to...it included some home-made cookies, and 2 lbs of roasted coffee beans ! He has an on-line business, roasting and selling specialty coffees...sent us some Ethiopian and Indonesia roasts !!! OMG !!! That made our day !!! :D

Then, a brand new neighbor knocked on our door...he had a red wagon full of fudge, and was going around the neighborhood, meeting his new neighbors !!! How COOL is that ??? :D

We've made an effort to take new neighbors cookies or bread when they move in, and we've never heard a peep back from them...kinda' typical of this neighborhood, I guess...unlike the one we lived in, in Maryland ! We had not yet reached out to these Folks, because they are REALLY new...we weren't sure they had permanently moved in yet !!! :eek: ...so it was a NICE touch !!! ALSO made our day !!! :smile:

The Wife bought a nice prime rib roast, and some fresh asparagus......I'll make my Mom's Yorkshire Pudding and the gravy...did I mention, I'm a "Gravy Master" ??? :D

...and the Wife scored another bottle of Angel's Envy Rye at the local liquor store ! We're gonna crack THAT for the holidays !!!

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to all, for whatever religion you follow, or not !

This time of year ? It's ALL good !!!

Stoplight...

evilanne
12-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Merry Christmas Stoplight.

I haven't withdrawn any from TSP yet, I want to let it grow a little more--retiring early I'm short of my goal that I would have had if I worked for 4 more years. I think that we got into the habit of saving all those years that it will probably be strange when we start to withdraw/spend those funds.

Stoplight
12-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Merry Christmas Stoplight.

I haven't withdrawn any from TSP yet, I want to let it grow a little more--retiring early I'm short of my goal that I would have had if I worked for 4 more years. I think that we got into the habit of saving all those years that it will probably be strange when we start to withdraw/spend those funds.

Evil,

I left money in the TSP when I retired...rolled the rest into the traditional IRA...

I pulled that TSP out monthly, without penalty, per my "retirement plan", until it was depleted... Lasted longer than I thought !!! Pulling those TSP dollars didn't bother me a bit !!! :smile:

...but now...pulling from the IRAs, since we're both now beyond the 59.5 yo penalty threshold ??? UGH !!!

OTOH...still way ahead of my plan balance !!! ...and retiring at age 57 is WAY worth it, to me !!!! :D

Stoplight...

Stoplight
01-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Okay...I've finally done my spreadsheet upgrade with the new year's stock prices, and seeing where I stand ! Re-balancing... Just thought I'd share...

The basics ??? I sold my Apple a while ago, and I recently dumped my Disney...also lightened up on the bonds I was holding...

Probably WAY too much in cash, but I'm nervous...what can I say !

So my current allocation is :

52% individual stocks/stock mutual funds/etf
14% bond mutual funds
4% "income" mutual funds (mixed asset class)
30% cash (includes straight cash, and conservative U.S. Treasuries)

Sectors on the individual stocks look like this (MY definition !!! Probably not tracking the market's definition of "sectors" : )

Transportation 2.10%
Financial 5.00%
Services 8.55%
Materials/Energy 8.75%
Beverage 9.06%
Utilities 9.41%
Communication 12.80%
Health 13.04%
Food 14.64%
Tech 16.64%

"Mad Money", the stuff I day/swing trade, is ~7.2% of the total...

Sooo...I'm pretty comfortable with where I stand right now !!! I've dumped pretty much everything that's paying less than 4% dividend, based on my buy-in price...the stinker is oil (BP Prudhoe Bay Trust)...we'll see if that comes back in 2017 !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
01-25-2017, 02:37 PM
Couldn't resist !!! Sold 10% of our Seagate (STX) to book some profits after the insane run-up the last few days !!! I'm already heavy on tech, even AFTER selling my Apple...so this will bring me down a little...

Hmmmm....that realized gain more than pays for the 3 nights of hotel in Sydney !!! :D I would've sold more, but the stock is paying a 6.7% dividend on our buy-in price...that's a "Golden Goose" (so far !) that I don't want to kill...

Also parked $10K more in cash in the Global X World fund (SDIV)...just to get it out of cash...may lose money ; may make money....but it sure as heck wasn't earning anything in the money market cash account !!! :eek:

Good luck to all !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
02-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Couldn't resist !!! Sold 10% of our Seagate (STX) to book some profits after the insane run-up the last few days !!! ...

Hmmmm....that realized gain more than pays for the 3 nights of hotel in Sydney !!! :D I would've sold more, but the stock is paying a 6.7% dividend on our buy-in price...that's a "Golden Goose" (so far !) that I don't want to kill...

Good luck to all !!!

Stoplight...

Along those lines :D

Today I cashed out of some shares of Brooks Automation Inc (BRKS). I bought in 12/12 @ $7.77...sold a portion today at $20.89...realized gain > $3,600 on those shares I sold. Overall, my ROI (per Quicken) is 188%...

The dividend based on today's price is only 1.9%, but since I'm making ~ 5%, I want to hold on to this stock !!! :smile: Besides, I also like all the talk about robotics, in so many different sectors.

Hmmmm....let's see : that gain pays ~ 85% of the basic cost of our our Sydney to Auckland cruise on Holland America...part of our trip to Australia and New Zealand ! We leave on that "bucket list" trip, 2 weeks from today ! :banana:

Good investing to all !

Stoplight...

Stoplight
05-11-2017, 01:33 PM
All,

Made some changes to my "buy-and-hold" portfolio today...

I sold my long-time-held Royal Bank of Canada (RY) for a realized gain of $1,360. Although it was paying a 4.2% dividend, it was recently flagged by analysts as having a problem due to the high cost of housing, and indebtedness, in Canada. I also didn’t like the fact that the dividend appears to be paid in Canadian dollars (which certainly makes sense !), but that meant it was subject to currency fluctuations...I never received the same dividend amount twice !!!

Since this was my only “financial” holding in my buy-and-hold portfolio, I looked around for something else to pick up the slack...in the name of “diversity” !!! :smile:

Settled on an ETF, PowerShares High Dividend Yield Financials, KBWD. It is VERY expensive, from an ETF fees standpoint (3% !!!), but even with the fees, it SHOULD outperform the dividend yield I was getting from RY, be above my 4% dividend rule-of-thumb, AND it pays monthly, so if I gotta bail quickly, I’ll at least recoup my trading cost !!! I intend to ignore the price, and let this carry the financial ball for a while...see how it does !

Also cashed in a little of my USAA Government Securities Fund (USGNX), just to restock my cash position...I don’t like being at 0% cash in my IRA !!! :eek:

Good investing to all !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
06-13-2017, 01:12 PM
All,

Made another change to my "buy-and-hold" portfolio today...

I sold my long-time-held Shaw Communications (SJR) for a realized gain of a whopping $92 !!! Although the ROI was in the black due to the dividends received, the market value was in the red...until today... I guess they made some deal that is causing a pop :

"** Canada's Shaw Communications Inc said it would sell its data center subsidiary ViaWest Inc to Peak 10 Holding Corp for about C$2.3 billion, as the cable company looks to streamline its operations."

Took the opportunity to dump this very small lot (~$5K) ; not buying a replacement now...just going to add it to the "mad money" pot ! :smile:

Good investing to all !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
08-10-2017, 07:29 PM
All,

Well, I'm NOT sure if I talked about my Niece Jenn on the Board before...I THOUGHT I did, but couldn't find the old posts...I DO know that I've shared info about our Grand-Niece, Sonja, who did a year in Peru, teaching !!! Y'all weighed in with support....and that was MUCH APPRECIATED !!! :smile:

Anyway....my Niece Jenn recently lost her 2+ year battle with an aggressive brain tumor...she was a Neat Kid, who left us too early !!!

Jennifer K Chenoweth Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information (http://www.mossfeaster.com/obituaries/Jennifer-Chenoweth/)

She was an elementary school Teacher, and she fought for several years, as a single Parent, to adopt 2 "special needs" Girls, before she remarried...We were there, for that Court hearing !!! The Judge said : "This is unusual ! I usually preside over sad, depressing situations, but the love coming from ALL you people is incredible !!!" :D

My Nephew sent me an email about the School those Girls attend...if it's in your heart, a donation to these Folks, in ANY amount, in memory of Jenn, is appreciated !!!

"Friends, I wanted to let you know that my sweet sister passed away on Friday, July 21st after a nearly two year battle with brain cancer. Many of you have been praying for her for that entire time, and I wanted to say thank you. It wasn’t in vain…God showed himself on many occasions through this process. We ask for continued prayers for our family…especially for her husband and children. If any of you are inclined to send flowers, I’d ask instead that you send a donation to the Morning Star School in the name of Jennifer Chenoweth. It is a Catholic special school that Jenny’s two adopted daughters (Jasmine & Mariah) attend. The school has done wonders to help the girls. Below is the School information including a link where you can make a donation: Morning Star School of Pinellas Park 4661 80th Ave North Pinellas Park, FL 33781 727-544-6036

Giving - morningstarschool.org (http://www.morningstarschool.org/giving/)

Thank you, Ben J. ..."

Niece Jenn won a 5K race, for her age group, at the age of 12 !!! She was a lifelong runner after that !!! The casket had her Nike running shoes tied to the rail, and it went in the ground with them STILL attached !!!

SO sad....

Stoplight....

Maricar19
08-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Stoplight, so sorry to hear about the loss of your niece, Jenn. Please accept our condolences.

alevin
08-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Stoplight, she sounds like a courageous and giving woman. Condolences on her passing.

nnuut
08-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Stoplight, our Condolences to you and your family from ours.

sito3
08-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Will Pray for you Spotlight so you can be strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intrepid_Timer
08-11-2017, 09:37 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Frixxxx
08-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Godspeed to your niece, our hearts mourn with you and your family.

ravensfan
08-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Stoplight,

So sorry to hear of the passing of your niece Jenn. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Condolences.

2moryrs
08-12-2017, 02:12 PM
My condolences on the loss of your neice (yes, way to soon).

Have enjoyed reading your post-retirement, post-tsp thread. You could teach a class to those of us that are mathematically challenged when it come to recording their investments on a spreadsheet. I, too, received some unexpected money with the passing of both my parents in the last 4 years. I was blessed to have had them so long, but sorely miss them every day.

I keep a watchful eye on my financial manager and how my finances are being handled. Pretty much told him he would not be getting his hands on my TSP money. You have done well. Would love to see what your spreadsheet looks like. Just the basics not the numbers!

2moryrs-NOT!

evilanne
08-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I remember you talking about your niece before your trip to Australia. So sorry to hear of her death. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

DreamboatAnnie
08-13-2017, 12:39 AM
So sorry to hear of your niece Jenn's passing. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Stoplight
08-30-2017, 04:41 PM
All,

Sorry....it's been a while since I checked in here, in my own little thread !!! :eek:

For ALL of you that posted your thoughts, prayers, and condolences about Niece Jenn's passing....all I can say is "Thank You" !!! She was truly a special person, and I miss her....

Stoplight...

Stoplight
08-30-2017, 05:13 PM
OK....enough depressing talk.... Let's get caught up on my recent investment moves today (like anybody but me cares !!!) :smile:

Soooo....yesterday, I unloaded one of my core "buy and hold" stocks. I sold ALL my Southern Company stock (SO). This is a utility play that I've held since 2013. It KILLED me to do it, because it was paying +5% dividend, and my Quicken ROI was in the 35% range.

BUT !!! Bad press recently....they have a failed gasification project (whatever THAT is !!!), and now a failing nuke plant construction project, wrapped up in the Toshiba/Westinghouse turmoil....just made me antsy, as does the rest of the market these days. What I'm reading is.....LOT'S of expenses ahead...:eek: Bailed to cash for now...guess I'm part of a class action lawsuit, too, as a shareholder of record...

Today, I unloaded 1/4 of my holdings in another core holding, Brooks Automation (BRKS)...this is another one of my old-timers ! Again....paying a dividend of >5% against my buy-in price, but it's had such a run, I HAD to take some profits off the table ! :D

Come 1 September, I'll look at my portfolio again, and decide where to go with the cash. I KNOW I want a utility replacement, for the diversity, but not sure I want to replace the Brooks with something else in Tech....just happy to be sitting in cash right now, on those 2 moves...

Good investing to you all !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
10-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Merrill "Edge"

So I'm thinking...due to an unexpected income of ~ $7K from some screwy life insurance ( ? ) policies the Wife bought, long before she met me,
I'm looking for a place to park some cash. My liquid "emergency funds" have grown past the point of tolerating a 0.1% APY ! :eek: Still want it liquid, though...

I'm also looking to start transitioning to a managed fund account, or at least some advice for my "buy and hold" investments. I don't see myself staying on top of each and every investment in my portfolio, although I'll still play with "mad money" with the premiums.

To date, we have our rollover TSP and 403(b) in a USAA self-directed Traditional IRA brokerage account...will keep those open....but they get pretty dismal reviews about their funds, and their investment advice !

Came across a Nerdwallet review of Merrill Edge...cheaper trade cost than USAA :

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/merrill-edge-review/
(https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/merrill-edge-review/)
I have a dormant Bank of America account that I've kept open, even though we don't use it for anything any more, because it's our oldest bank account, dating from probably 1985 !!! ~ $4K balance...

Planning to drop the $7K in there, and then open an Edge account....pick up something that pays better than USAA or B of A's cash account interest, but I can sell quickly, if needed !!! I will keep my USAA accounts, but perhaps transfer withdrawals that I don't particularly need at this time to this....thinking RMD down the road ??? Cap gains or loss tax advantages ???

Anybody out there use "Edge" ? Opinions, either pro or con ??? Set up a CD ladder somewhere ??? I'd appreciate any and all feedback, including alternative accounts, brokers, or "plans" !!!

Stoplight...

nasa1974
10-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Do a little research and buy some stock

Stoplight
10-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Do a little research and buy some stock

Nasa,

Thanks for the response !!!

Ummmm....I'm already doing that, with the existing USAA accounts !!! I'm comfortable with my own portfolio management in those accounts, for now !!!

I looked at the Interactive Brokers accounts, but it seems like they are geared for people much smarter, and much higher volume, than me !!! And I'm not sure I want to choose a broker from their list...guess I've watched too many episodes of "American Greed" !!! :D

I'm just looking for feedback from folks that may be using Merrill Edge for their investments....are they good or bad ? Do they give valuable, accurate advice ? Good customer service ? Low fees ??? :smile:

Didn't know it until now, but my brother-in-law tells me he's been using a Merrill Lynch advisor for years !!! ...and he's VERY happy ! :D

Anybody else have comments or advice ???

Stoplight...

evilanne
10-09-2017, 09:56 AM
I think Merrill Edge is discount version of Merrill Lynch. I know one person that recommend Merrill Edge--I think at certain dollar amount held in the account, they give you a certain number of free trades. https://www.stocktrader.com/online-stock-brokers/

burrocrat
10-09-2017, 11:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMRXqQXemU

uscfanhawaii
10-10-2017, 02:01 AM
At the risk of sounding redundant (I have said this before!).....I like Vanguard. Index funds are cheap....along the line of TSP. Especially if you have a tidy sum of money (I think 100K).
Index trades are restricted to certain number of times per month (most allow only monthly purchase once you sell), similar to TSP.
But they also have directed funds, and the variety is extremely good no matter what you are interested in. I have IRA (both Traditional and Roth) with them for a long time. Their online info is very detailed. And they have brokers to talk to (if you really think anyone else can manage your $$ better than you) if you want advice. Check out their website. No charge to go look! :D

2moryrs
12-28-2017, 01:12 PM
I have just been reading your older posts, and I am sorry you got out of the TSP. Since my retirement in 2009, my TSP has gone from $81K to $124K with NO ADDITIONS FROM OTHER SOURCES.
I do not have to tap my TSP until I am 70 1/2 so I am very thankful for the chance to grow it with very low fees. My Vanguard adviser would really like to get their hands on those funds! But no, I am keeping it for my long-term care fund, possibly.
My Dad started me with Vanguard back in the 90's with a check for $1,000 and instructed me to keep adding to it. Vanguard has been good to me and my family over the years. When my Dad passed in 2015, I became the successor trustee of the Trust and divided up their assets between my brother and myself. Mom died in 2013 so everything had gone to my Dad.
I watch almost all of the webinars produced by the good folks of NARFE and have learned loads about handling the TSP. My advice to those thinking about getting out of the TSP is to leave a small portion to keep it open, so you can always come back to it if you choose to. Once you close it, it is gone from you forever.

Stoplight
01-18-2018, 03:49 PM
I have just been reading your older posts, and I am sorry you got out of the TSP. Since my retirement in 2009, my TSP has gone from $81K to $124K with NO ADDITIONS FROM OTHER SOURCES.
I do not have to tap my TSP until I am 70 1/2 so I am very thankful for the chance to grow it with very low fees. My Vanguard adviser would really like to get their hands on those funds! But no, I am keeping it for my long-term care fund, possibly.
My Dad started me with Vanguard back in the 90's with a check for $1,000 and instructed me to keep adding to it. Vanguard has been good to me and my family over the years. When my Dad passed in 2015, I became the successor trustee of the Trust and divided up their assets between my brother and myself. Mom died in 2013 so everything had gone to my Dad.
I watch almost all of the webinars produced by the good folks of NARFE and have learned loads about handling the TSP. My advice to those thinking about getting out of the TSP is to leave a small portion to keep it open, so you can always come back to it if you choose to. Once you close it, it is gone from you forever.

2Mo,

SO SORRY I didn't see your post sooner !!! I rarely check this thread, and if a post scrolls off the "Recent Posts" on the main forum page, I probably don't see it...:rolleyes:

To date, I have NO REGRETS about closing out my TSP account...It served me well while working, and for the short time I withdrew from it, before I hit 59.5, but I like being the "Master of My Own Destiny", without the limited IFTs and options available in the TSP. :D I recognize that there are different approaches for all...that's why the TSP still manages to sell annuities !!! :eek:

Since my baseline $ amount (in my and the Wife's TSP and 403(b) in 2012), rolled over to the self-directed IRAs, I've withdrawn $111,000...but my current balance is only $13,900 less that the amount rolled over in 2012...yes, maybe I could have done better, staying in the TSP, but I'm happy ! :smile:

See next post !!! :smile:

Best investing to you !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
01-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Made a move today in my "buy-and-hold" portfolio, to harvest some gains and go to cash...

Sold all my Brooks Automation, BRKS...bought it at 7.76, in 2012 ; sold today at 27.48...SWEET !!! :D

Stoplight...

Stoplight
11-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Well....almost 2 years since my last post here, in my own little world ? Yikes !!! :eek:

To make a long story short...I've managed to keep my retirement fund balance slightly ahead of my withdrawal rate, so that's a good thing !!! Now starting to think about RMD "issues"...need to educate myself on the best approach to THAT item !!!

Anyway...just curious to hear from those who use USAA as their brokerage, like I do !

Any comments on them selling out to Schwab, for our account management ? I'll be curious to see what "improvements" happen...:rolleyes: I AM taking advantage of the free trades for the next few months, although trade commissions are the least of my worries...

Stoplight...

Stoplight
03-09-2020, 05:39 PM
*BUMP*

Geez ! Based on a PM from another Forum Member, I remembered this thread I started !

For the record, I'm working on my taxes, so I'll update my 2020 summary of my current positions and thoughts, too...FWIW !!! :D

Stoplight...

Stoplight
03-16-2020, 02:55 PM
Picked up a little AMZN today...I'm a customer, and I always wanted to own some...and I heard it was on sale !!! :smile:

Stoplight
04-10-2020, 06:49 PM
So, with nothing better to do (or I don't want to do them), I updated my investment spreadsheets. Things are looking better today, than they were
looking on 21 Mar...about a 5% increase from my balance, just 3 weeks ago...but what a wild ride, and I don't think it's gonna get any easier...FWIW, I
use Quicken Deluxe 2020 to get my numbers on my IRA investments.

Right now, I have 50% in "cash", and the rest in various pots, including only 2.3% in "trading money", the stuff I have in various premium service
recommendations.

Just a note : To me, I count "cash" as brokerage cash, AND conservative (to me) investments. Right now, that includes FCONX, PRULX, and USGNX (all bonds). As a side note, that T. Rowe Price bond fund (PRULX) has been a star for me...Throws off a monthly dividend, too ! I bought it in 2014, so yes, I lean towards "buy and hold" on my investments, in my retirement...other than my "trading money"...

...my other "Stars" since I bought them ?

- WM (Waste Management)
- STX (Seagate Technology)
- T (AT&T)
- GSK (Glaxo Smith Kline)

...My "Stinkers" ? Well, still holding...collecting the dividend (for now...:worried:) ; it's based on my buy-in price, while I wait for the price to come back :

- BGS (B and G Foods ; 5.2%)
- SDIV (Global X Super World Dividend ; 7.2%)
- DIV (Global X Super U.S. Dividend ; 8.0%)
- KBWD (Powershares KBW High Dividend Yield Financials ; 8.3%)

That little bit of Amazon I bought on sale the other day is doing well ! On the fence, whether to book my gains on that trade, or hold, and see what happens next !

Thanks for reading ! Best of luck to you all on YOUR investment decisions !!!

Stoplight...

Stoplight
04-16-2020, 05:26 PM
While my mixed portfolio whips around day-to-day, that Amazon I bought a month ago is making me smile !!!

OTOH, I can't discern any pattern on a day's market moves vs my account holdings...some days I think my account would do down, yet it goes up...other days, it's the opposite ! No way to do anything right now but "buy and hold" ! Sorry, Tom... :smile:

The Wife's holdings, however (pretty much high quality holdings) tend to follow the market numbers...go figure !!!

These are crazy times...

Stoplight...

PessOptimist
08-16-2020, 12:55 AM
I am sorry to hear about your dog. They are truly family members and tend to take over some things no matter what you want. FWIW I cried like a baby when putting down mine a few years ago. I hope things are going well for you and all in these difficult times.

PO