PDA

View Full Version : IFT notifications

LongRun
01-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi all,
I have a newbie question. Does the "effective date" on the IFT mean the contribution allowance started that day or COB of that day?

I know this is a very basic question, but I have very basic skills.

I've been watching this board for a few months now and managed to make a liitle on my account by following some of the tips, but have not been tracking my percentages.

Now I'm going through my IFT notifications, trying to figure my return percentages.

Thanks to Tom and all of you, I think I can get a little more control over my account. With 17 years in FERS and 12 more to go, my account needs a boost.

After I get the tracking sheet down pat, I'll start posting my moves for public humiliation :)

TIA, LongRun

LongRun
01-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Okay, I think I have this figured out. The "effective date" of the IFT confirmation goes in the "end date" of the spreadsheet. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

mlk_man
01-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Welcome to the board LongRun.

When you enter an IFT before the deadline, it becomes effective the next day, or should. This means you'll be buying or selling at whatever the price of the fund was at the end of the day on the day you put the IFT in.

As far as the spreadsheet, let's say you are currently 100% G and put in an IFT before the deadline today to go 100% S fund. Once the prices come out tonight, you'll put todays date on whatever line you're on, along with the prices at COB today and the fact that you were 100% G. On the next line, put "current" as in current allocation and your current allocation which would be 100% S. Once you transfer out of this, you'll put that date and prices in place of the "current".

Hope this makes sense. Basically the spreadsheet tells you that you held a certain allocation from one date to another date what percentage you gained or lost during that time.

Good luck,

M_M