PDA

View Full Version : golf

burrocrat
03-27-2016, 01:24 PM
are there any regular golfers on here? with what probably is a good-sized contingent of retirees... maybe?

i used to golf as a kid, with a yard sale used club set, ride my bike to the municipal course, steal stray balls from the range or the lake, orange crush with ice in a tall glass afterwards. that was a lot of fun.

well, i want to get out more with my kid and so i just bought us some clubs. basically beginners and nothing fancy so the best deal for starter sets i could find was strata (callaway seconds i think) 16 and 12 piece sets. the only difference seems to be that the more expensive 16pc set has a 4 hybrid and a sand wedge. so i figure we can split the two clubs and trade if one of us needs it later. $445 for both and free shipping. less than $500 total with gloves, balls, towels, and tees.

i wonder if anybody has any input on these clubs or other things golf related as we start out. probably will just go hit buckets of balls at the range for a few times until we get better, maybe bet on whoever hits longest or straightest don't have to do the dishes that night or something (he is too young to bet for beers, yet).

and sometimes we travel so i thought it could be a good time filler at new stops along the way. i remember some awesome redrock views in the strangest of places and hitting a shot that nailed it, quite a feeling, so i hope we can recreate some of that.

i looked at the regional online classified ads and decided for only another $50 or so each set we could just get new stuff and probably not do any worse, plus don't have to go negotiate cash with a psycho craigslist killer or nothing.

i am looking forward to full out spring here when the grass starts to turn green, maybe one blizzard in the next month then we should be good until thanksgiving or so.

fore!

tsptalk
03-27-2016, 02:22 PM
I would say a good golfer will shoot well with an average set and a poor golfer will shoot poorly with a great set.

The best investment for me is a good driver. I played for years with a driver I paid good money for many years ago and figured it was fine, but the larger the new ones got, the more inferior I felt. Then, a few of years ago, one of the guys I was playing with asked if I wanted to try his new driver. There was no comparison. It was light and I easily hit it 30-40 yards further than with my old driver.

So, if you consider yourself and average golfer or below, get any fair set of irons. Investing in a good wedge (which you will use more than any club), a good driver, and may a nice set of grips may be your best bet.

burrocrat
03-27-2016, 03:07 PM
I would say a good golfer will shoot well with an average set and a poor golfer will shoot poorly with a great set.

The best investment for me is a good driver. I played for years with a driver I paid good money for many years ago and figured it was fine, but the larger the new ones got, the more inferior I felt. Then, a few of years ago, one of the guys I was playing with asked if I wanted to try his new driver. There was no comparison. It was light and I easily hit it 30-40 yards further than with my old driver.

So, if you consider yourself and average golfer or below, get any fair set of irons. Investing in a good wedge (which you will use more than any club), a good driver, and may a nice set of grips may be your best bet.

the thing that surprised me while shopping for a set was that they don't often offer a full set of irons anymore. i always had a nasty slice with the woods. so i would tee off with a 3 iron on the long holes and a 5 iron on the medium par 3's just to stay in control. now they only offer 6-9 and wedges. plus the hybrid thingys.

so we will see how this goes. also i read that the clubs i bought are cheap and it is easy to dent or break the heavy woods if you mess up your swing. oh well that's what lakes and cussing are for.

Tiger25
03-28-2016, 11:22 AM
The weather is getting right here in MS but my lower back pays big time for 9 holes or more. I love it though. Darn, You guys just gave me the bug. That's what Advil is for.

burrocrat
03-29-2016, 08:19 PM
oh i am so excited! our clubs shipped from north carolina and the accessories and the rest stuff from oregon. it's like a race now, meet in the middle. i keep looking at pictures of them and dreaming about hitting a great shot. i know i am going to be good or at least ok at this golf thing. i'm a simple man, who will soon be able to kick butt at golf, faith.

burrocrat
03-31-2016, 10:02 PM
aahhh yeah baby, got half our golf stuff today and the only thing left to deliver is the club sets which are just east of here as of late this morning so should have them tomorrow. i love this ups package stalker app, whooo hooooo! cool stuff. i'll tell you a little secret...

besides the obligatory balls and towels and gloves, i realized i only own 3 pair of shoes. now you can't exactly just go golfing in flat soled office wingtips or wolverine work boots (wolverines are like honey badgers) or teva river sandals which i wear at the lake sometimes but mostly just to shuffel down to the laundry, so i also ordered some golf shoes, i was afraid to say that before because i didn't want to seem uppity, but i got me some new golf kicks. wheee!

they are nothing fancy like the spike kind that will chip your tile floors or perforate the linoleum, they are basically tennis shoes with an aggressive molded grip pattern and shoot, they were only 99 cents! just kidding, that is from song i like but they were half off at only $50 bucks so still poppin tags! internet shopping is cool!

they are light as a feather and not too flashy so i like that. but they remind me of a movie i saw one time, it was either forest gump or else some english poet running thing but i'm pretty sure it had a phil collins song in it. anyways that is how i feel, running down the beach not touching the sand, i can't wait to smack the crap out of some balls, make them fly straight.

so i'm dancing around the place in my new liquid honey shoes and i catch sight of myself in the wall mirror down the hall which reminds me of another song, i'm too sexy for my shirt and i start busting out my 1980's moves. my kid looks around the corner and says "you should probably wear pants when you do that dad". freakin little smart alek, this is my house too! don't look if you don't like it, nobody is going to make you dance this way, dance however you want, go pee in somebody else's wheaties!

but he is right, golf shoes and black gold-toe crew socks and my h-fly jockey shorts and a raggedy tshirt is probably not my best look. who cares? i'm browning ground beef for hamburger helper and it is not a good idea to take the tshirt off, yet. oh i can't hardly wait until the clubs come tomorrow, the local course doesn't even open for another few weeks or month depending on weather, but me and them clubs are going to have a good time together this weekend, wheee!

life is a beautiful thing. it's ok to be a simple man.

FogSailing
04-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Great stuff Burro. BTW, the Callaways are nice clubs. Generally they are forgiving, have a nice weight and can launch a ball 10-20 yards further than non-premium clubs, and have a more flexible shaft in the swing. I play at least once a week but I'm not really a good player...just so-so hitting in the upper 80's or low 90's depending on the day. Hope you enjoy them. I absolutely love golf. Despite the frustrations, there are few things better than being outside with friends and family having a good time.

FS

WorkFE
04-01-2016, 09:18 AM
While in the Military I was fortunate to be stationed close to home (about a 2 hour drive) for about 7 years. I spent 2 weeks in the spring and 2 weeks in late fall at home. The Fall was to go hunting with my Father (fall turkey and early archery for deer).
The spring was to Golf with my Stepfather, an avid golfer. I was never very good but occasionally I did ok. After he passed away a few years ago I pledged to put more time into it. Last year I purchased, after being measured by a golf pro, a set of Nike Vapor series clubs. I don't know if its the clubs or just having clubs that fit me but playing 9 after work or 18 on the weekend is a lot more enjoyable than the old days.
Anyway, good luck Burro. Keep the clubs out of the lake.

burrocrat
04-02-2016, 10:01 AM
so i bought 2 sets of clubs, one for me and one for my teenage son. They are callaway seconds/knockoffs called strata and strata plus. they are basically the same amongst themselves, but if you were comparing them to any other brand I’m sure there would be larger differences. most of the differences are cosmetic and probably have no bearing on actual play. at this entry level I think there are probably only cosmetic differences among brands at this price point and none of them will make you a better or worse golfer, that talent comes from practice, or in my case from the fates.

i have lots of observations so far and will probably polute this thread all weekend long with my percieved wisdom.

burrocrat
04-02-2016, 10:18 AM
so first, about the money, and what you get for it. i bought two sets of the same brand, a 16-piece strata plus, and a 12-piece strata. $255 v $190. both come with a driver, 3-wood, 5-hybrid, irons 6-9, pitching wedge, putter, two head covers, and bag with rain hood. for the extra $65 on the strata plus you get a 4-hybrid with cover, cover for the 5h, and a sand wedge, that is the 4 extra pieces.

for those counting, it is actually a 17 and 13 piece set if you count the black detachable water-boarding terrorist rainhood, but who’s counting? the rain cover is pretty cool as it has 4 snaps on it and is definitely a separate piece, if your golf clubs are frankenstien and had four bolts installed on his neck instead of two you could snap this thing on and blindly lead them away for some torture or questioning their existence, and it has a full zipper in case you feel like opening it up and spitting on their faces or something. i am not really into that level of finesse and interrogation though, if they cross me then they go in the lake and i want them to see it coming, but that is a nice accessory that fits in the bottom of one of the many pockets on the bag so ok i will keep it.

one of my favorite parts of the whole system is the bags, but i am going to save that review for later.

burrocrat
04-02-2016, 05:24 PM
the differences between the blue $255 strata plus and red $190 strata clubs are minor, and both arrived in pretty good shape with the exception that the blue 6 iron has a small blemish pock mark along the bottom edge of the blade near the shaft and the blue 3 wood had a chip in the finish on the back side direct center of the club. i suppose all the clubs will soon have dings and dents in them due to rocks and trees and cart paths and none of them are on the face of the club that 'should' be the surface contacting the ball so no probs there that i won't cause for myself. the blue irons have a glossy chrome finish and the red ones more of a brushed satin stainless look so i like the red ones better even though i hate the color red.

the drivers are both 460cc and seem to me to be exactly the same except the blue graphite shaft on the plus and the red strata set has a black graphite shaft with a more subtle alignment silkscreen pattern below the grip. the grips are the same style but have different color in the line patterns on them, push on type rubber grips not wrapped leather or whatever, the grips all except the putter have the same pattern to help with consistent alignment i think. the 3 wood on the strata plus is also graphite and blue but the shaft of the red strata 3 wood is metal and heavier. for this reason i tried to negotiate my way into the red set and talk my son into the blue plus but he was having none of it, he picked up the red driver and said this is mine, it is my size, it fits me and feels right, this is my club. so i am not going to argue with a man that feels that strongly about something so he gets to keep the red set.

i tried to keep trading him with the bonus of the blue set has a 4 hybrid and extra head covers and a sand wedge. he just flat out said no, the covers are useless, i don't need a 4, and i am not going in the sand trap. if i somehow do i can just borrow your sand wedge which i'm sure will be broken in pretty good by then. told you he was a smart alek. but a confident one so i am ok with that.

what i am not ok with is he waved 'my' blue 3 wood in my face, yep wiggled it right in front of my nose, 'how did this happen dad? you dented it already, is this how the hole got in the ceiling?' i smacked that **** down real fast, nobody waves a club in my face. so we went back to negotiating about putters.

the putters are the same mallet type, but the plus has a white insert on the back and bright white lines scored into it, which i could not stand. the red one is all black with no color insert and the red lines are subtle and hard to see. so we traded those. his 'blue plus' putter has only black and silver and white on it and the only thing out of place is the 'plus' on the bottom of the head whereas my new red putter has some read lines on the head and grip, so my set is a bit of a mismatch now, but i like that putter better and as soon as it crosses me and misses an easy 4 footer it is in the weeds anyways.

so that is how our negotiations went, he got the less expensive set and my putter, and i got the extra clubs and a red putter for mine. the bags are basically the same with appropriate trim color differences is all.

if they had a color choice in the 12 piece set i would have gotten two of those for $190 each instead of the $255 plus set to differentiate between our clubs and to not be 'twinsies'. but they didn't so this is what we got. i am sure these are going to be more than enough clubs to get a year or two down the road and see if we want to continue this golf adventure. they are already the nicest clubs i have ever held or shot with in my life so good deal if you ask me.

burrocrat
04-02-2016, 05:41 PM
about the shoes, my liquid honey puma golfing/dancing featherlite shoes...

my kid talked me out of them. they are his shoes now. he needed a new pair because his regular tennis shoes are not going to make it the rest of the school year and the cheapest i could find at jcpenney online that he liked were $100, double the cost of my now old new golf shoes. they have an aggressive but cleatless tread design and flashes of orange around the edges and he likes that kind of thing so he got them to be his end of school and summer golfing shoes all in one.

i ordered myself a pair of nike black leather type for just $12 more on closeout sale from a different company and they are much more my subtle style anyways, so now we will both be hooked up for the last of the gear we need for our golf adventure. but it does bother me a little that he was able to talk me out of my new shoes. he is getting too smart, dangerous.

as it turns out, as soon as you start talking about golf then you find out that lots of people golf. one of my coworker's husband is a banker and they golf in tournaments and she says she has boxes full of clip on towels and random logo'd gadgets and tools and sleeves of balls. so she is bringing us some free supplies. and her father-in-law is retired and golfs all the time and has nothing better to do than find and retrieve lost golf balls on the courses, so she has literally several 5-gallon buckets full of random used salvaged golf balls in her garage. she is bringing us a bucket of those too so we can go up to a cliff by the lake and launch some just for fun. kind of like recycling i guess, ashes to ashes dust to dust, back to where you once belonged damn ball.

burrocrat
04-02-2016, 06:12 PM
oohhh! the bag! i forgot about the golf bags they came with. and the packaging. all the heads of the clubs were wrapped in a bubble wrap envelope sleeve about 4"x8" so i saved them, they would be perfect for shipping tsptalk silver coins instead of the spare office chair repair fabric i have been using. now i have more bubble wrap bags than i have tsptalk silver coins left so i would like to buy some more of those, but now my discretionary funds are empty since i spent it all on golf stuff. anyways, i did put one tsptalk silver coin in my golf bag to use as a ball marker on the green if i ever need a ball marker on a green if i ever get to the green. also, i have a blue and gray tsptalk baseball cap which i fastend with the adjustable strap around the shaft of my driver, it hangs down on the upper backside of the bag perfectly so that is my new golf cap.

the bag is cool. i has this little stand/lever which when you set it down and lean it forward two little legs spring out and it stands up all on its own, no more laying it down on the grass someone might have recently peed on like when i was a kid. and it has a bunch of pockets for balls and tees and towels and notepads and rain covers and light jackets and stuff. i can't even imagine all the things i could put in there. there is even a big pocket on the back called a 'cooler' pocket which will hold at least a six pack of beer. there is also a small hidden sleeve pocket which might be for a cell phone or wallet but it just practically shout 'hide your weed here'.

now i don't live in colorado or oregon or washington dc so that is not legal and i don't have any weed, but that pocket would be the perfect place to hide it if you are so inclined.

when i was a kid i figured something out real fast. most women do not like golf. so they will not snoop around your golf stuff. my mom hated golf. so the only place i ever found where she would not find and confiscate my stash of playboys and weed was my golf bag. the more things change the more they stay the same.

for about $650 bucks we are in two sets of clubs, shoes, balls, and accessories. nothing fancy but it will do for now. i already have some ideas about how to upgrade after a couple of years or this equipment breaks, whichever comes first if we keep on golfing. my kid does not want to play rounds for scores, yet. he just wants to go to the range and practice so that is how we will start. i can't hardly wait for the grass to green up and the local course to open next month. wheee!

FogSailing
04-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Keep me posted on the progress Burro! Congrats again. I think that making a move to do something with your son is the coolest thing about all of this. So Hit em straight and Hit em long!

FS

burrocrat
04-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 12 TitTees Naked Lady Golf Tees 3" Plastic Golf Tee and Divot Tool Combo Novelty Golf Gift and Golf Gag Gift 12 Pack (http://www.amazon.com/TitTees-Naked-Plastic-Perfect-Novelty/product-reviews/B01AV5JPVS)

i think i have found my goto tee, something out of the ordinary but with a touch of class.

PessOptimist
04-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 12 TitTees Naked Lady Golf Tees 3" Plastic Golf Tee and Divot Tool Combo Novelty Golf Gift and Golf Gag Gift 12 Pack (http://www.amazon.com/TitTees-Naked-Plastic-Perfect-Novelty/product-reviews/B01AV5JPVS)

i think i have found my goto tee, something out of the ordinary but with a touch of class.

Class? Yes in a way. Reminded me of this clip, reference is at about 0:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=171FURqSIQc

You and your son should watch this whole movie some time before the course opens so you can decide how to act.

No, I don’t golf. Love this movie.

PO

burrocrat
04-03-2016, 10:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJiAK-s5a0

i love this movie.

burrocrat
04-08-2016, 07:03 PM
so, tell me about your balls...

when i used to golf many moons ago, i always loved finding a 'pinnacle' just off the fairway in the rough or wherever they turned up. i picked up everything i could find to stretch the budget, but pinnacle was the best i thought. it was the ball that would stay straightest and not slice on the woods shots from tee, and i could drill it straight like a dart with the irons. so i bought a 15 pack of pinnacle gold for $15 to start our golf adventure when we actually play a round (for me, my kid gets the walmart dozen and another 5 or 6 he got for free for his golf merit badge before he quit boy scouts.

so i am really interested in your guys' balls and have some questions...

what kind of balls do you use? most? on difficult courses where bound to lose some? when trying to impress friends? when nobody is looking? why do you use those particular balls?

how many balls do you keep in your bag for a round of 9 holes? 18 holes? do you keep them in their 3-pack sleeves until you need them? do you have a special magic ball sack that keeps them warmed up and in tune with the cosmos? do you talk to them and have names for them?

how much do you spend per ball? how many balls do you typically lose? how often? where?

are your balls white or colored?

and i have some general ball rules and etiquette questions too...

do you have to use the same ball forever for the whole round? can you switch out balls in the middle of a hole like use a different one to drive and another to putt? do you have to stay with the same brand of ball all day? are the numbers just to help you tell your balls from a golfing partner's balls if you are both playing with the same kind of balls? when do you decide to replace a ball because it is worn out or just mocking you or whatever? is it ok to pick up and keep balls you find on the course if you like them (this is not going to change my habits, just want to know if it is ok or should i be sneaky about it)?

i will tell you about my balls...

i got pinnacle gold balls in bright white, a box of 15 of them for $15. i was excited all week waiting for them to arrive on the free ground shipping deal today. would they come numbered in 5 sleeves of 3: 1-2-3-4-5? do they even make a #5? when i opened the box the first sleeve on the left was #2's so knew right away the pattern would be: 2-3-4-1-2. yep that is what is was, i have two sleeves of #2's. i don't know what an icosahedral dimple thing is but it must be the pattern and arrangement of the dimples. some of them are smaller dimples and fill in the gaps. i wonder about these things, are there other dimple patterns, why? i was going to count the dimples on my balls but after about 7 and having to start over a few times i realized that was an exercise in futility, probably just a clue as to the many futile realizations in store for me about golf. i like my balls a lot.

also, i got my new discount nike spikeless golf shoes today too, they are leather-like and black and are way better than the puma's my son talked me out of and only cost $5 more on sale. and also i got a left-handed nike glove. so now we are totally all set. they opened the local municipal course earlier this week and tomorrow is supposed to get up into the mid 50's. if the wind stays down we are probably going to go hit a bucket of balls at the range and try to get the hang of swinging these new clubs we got. i am kind of nervous because what if i suck at golf? i don't want to suck at golf. and i am really nervous about eventually playing a round, probably just start with 9 holes at first. what if we get paired up with some really good golfers who have a cart? we plan to just walk it and i'm sure it is going to not be pretty at first.

FogSailing
04-08-2016, 10:33 PM
BURRO's QUOTE: "They opened the local municipal course earlier this week and tomorrow is supposed to get up into the mid 50's. if the wind stays down we are probably going to go hit a bucket of balls at the range and try to get the hang of swinging these new clubs we got. i am kind of nervous because what if i suck at golf? i don't want to suck at golf. and i am really nervous about eventually playing a round, probably just start with 9 holes at first. what if we get paired up with some really good golfers who have a cart? we plan to just walk it and i'm sure it is going to not be pretty at first. "

Hi Burro. I'm really trying to post less...like a max of 2 or 3 times a week. So answering your post uses one of my allotted posts...but I wanted to answer because you're a friend and the topic is my favorite thing.......GOLF. First, expect to suck when you re-enter the world of Golf. If you don't suck something's wrong. It would be creepy for you and I don't want that. Second, don't worry about creeps in golf carts. Just play you're game in whatever fashion makes you the most comfortable. If they don't like the way the game is moving, encourage them to play through. Then just play your own game. Golf is like a fine wine...it takes time to come together and not something to be rushed.

For myself, I've played lots of golf balls. Of the mid-range stuff I like Wilson Elites, Nitros, and Pinnacles. Up a notch, I like the Bridgestone 6's, Taylormade, and Callaways. If I get to go top notch, it's the Titleist Pro V. In truth, there's not much difference in price anymore between top notch and almost top notch stuff IMO. The Nitro's are great for me because they go straight and do well in the wind. I tend to drive the ball more like a line drive than a high flyer so that works well for me. I generally go to the swap meets and buy used balls. There are always deals to be found. I look for my best deal at $20. One time I came back from a swap meet in Palm Springs with 60 Titleist golf balls for $12 (all types including many Pro V's). Love swap meets. I carry about 8 balls in my bag. I generally lose at least one every time I play. For some reason my golf balls are unable to swim. With respect to etiquette....the guys I play with switch balls whenever it meets their fancy. None of us care. The ball is important to the psyche so pick the one that works for you. There are a lot of snooty golfers out there...Don't play with them...ruins the game.

Anyways...am really glad to hear how excited you are and hope you have a grand time and the weather is good. Remember to keep your head down, be square with the ball in your stance, keep your feet firm (don't dance), and swing slowly when you hit the ball. Always take a practice swing or two to calm yourself down. Let me know how it goes.

FS

burrocrat
04-09-2016, 03:25 PM
thanks for the feedback and supportive comments fog, you're right - golf should be fun - so screw the snooty players if they are jerks. unfortunately the wind is blowing 30+ and gusting to 45 mph so not a particularly good day to ease into golf via a relaxed calm driving range session, and it's supposed to be rather windy tomorrow as well so maybe we'll go later after work one day next week or the weekend. although... if the range is pointed the right way i might be able to hit one helluva drive today.

only post 2-3 times per week? why would someone do that, lent is over? is it because your wife put you on internet restrictions and you only get 100 posts per week and you are saving them for the online porn chat forum? if so i can spot you some of mine, i hardly ever go there anymore after amiee quit.

FogSailing
04-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Appreciate your input Burro...always enlightening...:D:D:D

FS

burrocrat
04-09-2016, 07:23 PM
i just hope your wife's name isn't amiee, or else this could be rather awkward...

FogSailing
04-10-2016, 05:15 PM
After 42 years she still Shield Maiden to me..:D:D:D

FS

burrocrat
04-10-2016, 05:45 PM
i am pretty sure i can, on some holes at least, shoot as good as jordan speith on 12 today.

burrocrat
04-11-2016, 06:56 PM
so we stopped up at the clubhouse at the local course today and got the low down on a few things. a really nice 'youngish' retired guy runs it and he was very friendly and helpful. we found out about punchcards which get you 10 large buckets of balls for $40 instead of $5 each so save a buck a bucket and it doesn't matter which one or both of us use it. same thing with the green fees, ten 9-hole rounds for $135 instead of $15 each. and it only costs $9 to add second 9 if you are going to play the back 9 for an 18-hole round, they let you 'punch and pay' where you punch your card for the $13.50 for the front and $9.00 cash or card for the 2nd 9, pretty dang friendly there. also he says the front 9 is flat and an easy walk so some folks only rent a cart for the hilly back 9. season passes for family are a bit cheaper than 1 adult and 1 youth pass but i don't think we will get in enough rounds to make that cost worthwhile, especially if we play at some other courses in nearby communities on a saturday roadtrip instead of always locally.

best news of all is that they don't match you up in groups of four, you just call up usually around lunch hour and schedule a time for after school or work and then we get to golf just the two of us in our party. if someone comes up from behind just let them play through, take all the time you need. he told me what time the clubhouse closes and says as long as you are on the course you can stay as late as you like after i leave just put any empty buckets or rental equipment by the back door under the awning. very friendly place, 'north dakota nice' is a wonderful thing if you know the lingo and pass the 'test' (which mostly just consists of an open conversation, a direct look in the eye, and a handshake). pretty simple world out here.

some other interesting things... they have a huge basket of balls and youth get 3 free per round, so i am going to send my streetsmart urchin to that basket each time with instructions to find titleist and look for pro v. there is an old guy in town 79 years old he gave me his number says he will sometimes give lessons, how cool would it be to get some tips from 8 decades of wisdom and experience? depending on how bad we shoot in practice i might give him a call, hell i might give him a call anyways and pay him just for conversation. and i think i found my new golf pants...

FogSailing
04-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Sounds super Burro. I'm playing 18 tomorrow. Am trying out a new Snakeyes 5 iron and 4 hybrid. Hope they both help. My 5 hybrid works well but sometimes I need a 5 iron because of the terrain and the 4 hybrid will hopefully work for me and get me about ten more yards on the fairway. All the best with your game. I like your idea of having the kid pick up the Pro V's. Simply the best ball out there.

FS

konakathy
04-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Nice pants. That's one way to display your assests.

burrocrat
04-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Nice pants. That's one way to display your assests.

oh it was no bother, they are handme downs actually, they were in the duffel bag the strip club gave me when my exwife rundoft, lounge pants or something they called them. i forgot about them until now but i guess they might come in handy.

burrocrat
04-12-2016, 07:17 AM
ok, i have to confess, the real reason i am learning golf is because i am going to play 18 holes at bully pulpit in medora, maybe with some bankers or titans of industry or something, or whoever whatever ragamuffin just wanders along. but not until i can do the course justice and give the game the respect it deserves. probably not this year yet, but i will, it is on my bucket list.

i have done parts and pieces of this individually before, but for a short affordable in-country vacation i will tell you a secret... north dakota.

go to medora, give it three days and two nights. on the way in (from billings mt or fargo nd) check out the local and only national park just north of town, see some badlands and bison and wild turkeys. morning of second day golf bully pulpit in the morning, have lunch along the old west storefronts or the cowboy museum or chatteau morreau and swing up to elkhorn ranch just to see where leaders used to come from, do the pitchfork buffet in the evening and then catch the medora musical. on the way out next day leave a different way than you came in, maybe down to the black hills and mt. rushmore or deadwood.

it will leave a mark on your soul, in a good way. it's powerful place, give you goosebumps and stuff, make you feel small. don't forget to bring your 'nice'.

27 Things You Need To Know About North Dakota Before You Move There - Movoto (http://www.movoto.com/blog/real-estate-and-more/moving-to-north-dakota/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFltbH7Ci8I

alevin
04-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Hah, I contemplated applying for job in Medora once, long while ago. think I would have liked it, would have gotten a bird dog, learned how to train and work it, go pheasant hunting with great-granddaddy's shotgun. but then I got this job first. been happy here, finally developing the bird-hunting angle for post-retirement enjoyment. got the great-granddaddy equipment finally last year, needs some fixup work first, on the todo list.

may still visit Medora and vicinity during my hunt for post-retirement properties next year or 2, just to visit. got longtime friends within half-day travel from there. got up towards that corner last summer for a couple days, need more time to explore that direction.

WorkFE
04-12-2016, 12:02 PM
When you're ready Burro give me a holler, we'll meet up at my home town course.

The Course | Middletown Country Club (http://www.middletowncc.com/about/the-course/)

jpcavin
04-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Hah, I contemplated applying for job in Medora once, long while ago. think I would have liked it, would have gotten a bird dog, learned how to train and work it, go pheasant hunting with great-granddaddy's shotgun. but then I got this job first. been happy here, finally developing the bird-hunting angle for post-retirement enjoyment. got the great-granddaddy equipment finally last year, needs some fixup work first, on the todo list.

may still visit Medora and vicinity during my hunt for post-retirement properties next year or 2, just to visit. got longtime friends within half-day travel from there. got up towards that corner last summer for a couple days, need more time to explore that direction.

Ha, small world. I was planning to spend a week in Medora last summer but was a bit short on funds. Not only that but annual leave balance was a bit low as well. I too have friends about 3.5 hours east of Medora. I'm just tickled to death at the idea of all of us meeting up at Krolls for some biscuits and gravy. It may be a while before I have another opportunity to meet you. I have friends coming to see me this time.

alevin
04-13-2016, 09:43 AM
timing is everything in this world. My longtime friends are a few hours south of Medora, my retirement prop hunting tends to be south and sw of Medora, and south and west of ND/SD state line as well. Friends of mine here travel back and forth to Michigan, told me about Teddy Roosevelt State Park, showed me pics from a trip they made passin through a couple years ago. Liked what I saw, want to explore. not a fan of biscuits+gravy. never been to Krolls. maybe I'll check it out if and when I get in the vicinity. good to have friends, isn't it?

jpcavin
04-13-2016, 09:59 AM
timing is everything in this world. My longtime friends are a few hours south of Medora, my retirement prop hunting tends to be south and sw of Medora, and south and west of ND/SD state line as well. Friends of mine here travel back and forth to Michigan, told me about Teddy Roosevelt State Park, showed me pics from a trip they made passin through a couple years ago. Liked what I saw, want to explore. not a fan of biscuits+gravy. never been to Krolls. maybe I'll check it out if and when I get in the vicinity. good to have friends, isn't it?

I hear you gf. Sorry about the biscuits and gravy. I just figured- as the saying goes, when in Rome.....Still would be fun for all of us to meet up. I have friends in Fargo as well if you ever get that far and I also have another trip planned for Deadwood in the next couple of years if you go south. Will keep you posted.

alevin
04-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Do keep me posted. Deadwood is much better potential for good timing on meetup, my friends are located in that general area. Did some poking around the extended area last summer while I was visiting them. The Black Hills are beautiful, lot of history there.

burrocrat
04-13-2016, 07:29 PM
so we got our clubs out today for a first break-in at the driving range and i had a blast. it was a perfect spring day here, just a light 10mph breeze and 65 degrees nice sunny afternoon. i took off early from work and picked my kid up after school and we went home and got our clubs and headed to the course. he was mopey mcmoperson at first because that's what 13 year olds do of course but i knew he would come around once we got out there.

he kept bitchin and complainin and says he hates golf but after i told him just how thin my patience was at this point and he just had to push a little bit of his sorry draggin butt button one more time i f'n went off. rolled the window down at the stoplight and unloaded with both barrels and all of my good cuss words strung together, loud! until he shut his mouth, agreed to go golfing, and begged me to roll the window up and go the light is green people are staring. so he got on board.

as i figured he would, we ended up laughing at our mess ups and complimenting good shots and asking each other for tips when something went right and we spent a good hour and a half out there hitting two buckets plus some guy was waiting for his group to show up to tee off and he gave us over half of his bucket to hit when they got there.

he is really good with the driver but slices sometimes and he started to get the 5 hybrid off the turf down too. i started with the 6 iron and just got comfortable with a slow smooth consistent swing and after a bit started to hit them relatively straight and same distance. then i hit the 9 iron a bit too. just maybe 20 yards difference between the two and you really got to stay over and down to hit them right or i top the ball and send it bouncing wherever. the driver i am not so good at and mostly slice it, just like i used to. i hit the 3 wood straighter and just as far. i hit a couple of low straight rockets that just flew dead nuts straight down the course. and i got the 5 hybrid going too a bit.

so i am really getting into this. i can't wait until we go again. we have eight punches or 4 more range visits each on this prepay card so that is good. i'm definitely not shooting a round of 9 holes after the driving range at first here. i am so out of shape it is not funny, but i think i did pretty damn good for an old 48 middle aged pudgy guy. and we got some good sunshine and a few laughs.

by the time we left he said it wasn't so bad and he would go hit buckets again and do 9 holes, but definitely not 18. good deal. he will come around. i am dad and got the money and he ain't getting jack crap for xbox until he cleans up his attitude starts liking golf or i will crack his jaw and he can get some new welfare orphan teeth if he ain't careful and i think he knows it.

all in all a fun day at the golf course. of course we went inside and had a soda and laughed and joked for a bit about our sorry asses. good deal this golf thing already.

FogSailing
04-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Shield Maiden and I visited Theodore Roosevelt State Park back in 2010 on a return visit from DC where we had visited our son. On the way back we stopped in a small town in Montana (1 street town called Fallon). We needed breakfast and found this little podunk restaurant and stopped. The guy running the place told us get our coffee and figure out what we wanted for breakfast. There wasn't a menu but bacon and eggs were on the chalkboard. Before breakfasat arrived about 5 locals came in, all got there coffee and introduced themselves. As we were all becoming friends, our food came (absolutely delicious breakfast) and we stayed for two hours after we ate listening to their stories about mining and rubies in the mountains\hills just south of the town. One of my favorite breakfasts EVER!

FS

alevin
04-13-2016, 09:01 PM
amazing the fabulous meals you can get in the tiniest towns, innit? I've had an amaaaaazing burger in a tiny 1 street town in SE Washington a number of years back. while doing a day-play trip with a friend celebrating her birthday.

burrocrat
04-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Shield Maiden and I visited Theodore Roosevelt State Park back in 2010 on a return visit from DC where we had visited our son. On the way back we stopped in a small town in Montana (1 street town called Fallon). We needed breakfast and found this little podunk restaurant and stopped. The guy running the place told us get our coffee and figure out what we wanted for breakfast. There wasn't a menu but bacon and eggs were on the chalkboard. Before breakfasat arrived about 5 locals came in, all got there coffee and introduced themselves. As we were all becoming friends, our food came (absolutely delicious breakfast) and we stayed for two hours after we ate listening to their stories about mining and rubies in the mountains\hills just south of the town. One of my favorite breakfasts EVER!

FS

that is some pretty empty country there huh? lol, fallon? between medora and miles city nothing but cows and wheat and salt of the earth. actually there's nothing between bismarck and medora either, or miles city and billings either. except for a whole lot of good hardworking people that will give you anything you need and a smile. don't cross them though, or you are in the ditch. welcome to my 'hood. pretty safe from the zombies out here. it will take them a long time to shuffle on out here after they eat each other in the sardine trap cities, and we can shoot long and flat, see them comin forevah. 12 year olds take antelope at 500 yards as matter fact, it is just what needs done, so they do it. i hate range goats, but if that is what is served then you eat it and say thank you, somebody worked for that meat on the table.

if you are ever in the area let me know. i will drive hundreds of miles, just a hop skip and jump here, and host you, you betcha.

FogSailing
04-13-2016, 09:16 PM
Shield Maiden's family were settlers out in northern Montana, a small place called Plentywood because guess what...there's not any wood...what a hoot. Anyways they are about the nicest and most hard working honest people I've ever met.

FS

FogSailing
04-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Wow!! Sounds like a great day Burro. I'm glad it all went so well. Ain't life great!!!

FS

alevin
04-13-2016, 10:09 PM
My major prof in grad school grew up on ranch SE MT. took a bunch of us on a road trip my first year to go to national professional society meeting in Rapid. We stopped in Forsyth to eat lunch enroute. people there were great to us. Spent a year of my life working the backcountry between WY state line and I84, back on the gravel and dirt roads. people were good out there. had a flat on the county blacktop headed out to the work area one day, work truck, almost no traffic, long sight distances. perfectly capable of changing it myself, was working on it when local rancher came along, insisted on doing the wrench turning to get it off and the spare on. I appreciated the kindness, maybe more because I was perfectly capable and told him so. he didn't care, wanted to do it for me anyway. I thanked him when he was done.

burrocrat
04-13-2016, 10:20 PM
My major prof in grad school grew up on ranch SE MT. took a bunch of us on a road trip my first year to go to national professional society meeting in Rapid. We stopped in Forsyth to eat lunch enroute. people there were great to us. Spent a year of my life working the backcountry between WY state line and I84, back on the gravel and dirt roads. people were good out there. had a flat on the county blacktop headed out to the work area one day, work truck, almost no traffic, long sight distances. perfectly capable of changing it myself, was working on it when local rancher came along, insisted on doing the wrench turning to get it off and the spare on. I appreciated the kindness, maybe more because I was perfectly capable and told him so. he didn't care, wanted to do it for me anyway. I thanked him when he was done.

and he probably called you ma'am while he was doing it, thanked you when he was done and wished you a good day. some folks are good for some things and some folks are good for others. it don't make much difference out here, you do what you can, every effort counts.

burrocrat
04-13-2016, 10:29 PM
i forgot to tell you about the best part of my lucky day! i got a free dime, it is from 1987 which is just 3 years after i lost my virginity, now don't that make you feel old.

anyways, i take my nike black golf shoes off when we get home and wouldn't you know it, there is a dime stuck to the bottom of the left foot, and it is heads up so that's how i know 1987, which means it was heads down (tails up my favorite when i stepped on it)! and it looks like blue gum that glued it to the bottom of my shoe but i didn't lick it to find out if peppermint or blue raspberry but it smells more like peppermint.

how lucky is that??!!

it is scratched up pretty good because i shuffle and drag my feet it is an old deckhand boat survival trick, never lift your feet never step in a bight or off you might go. even to this day if i am walking across a green lawn and the garden hose is stretched out with a loop in it i change my path mid-step, never step in the bight, it is like petting a rattlesnake no good can come from it. why would you pet a rattlesnake anyways?

but i got this free scuffed up 1987 dime. pretty damn cool huh? after i take my shoes out of the freezer in the morning and chip the gum out of the treads i am going to make that dime my new ball marker for the greens. sorry tsptalk silver, got me a fated dime now, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

alevin
04-13-2016, 10:34 PM
And prairie goat is not bad eating, so long as the hunter didn't run it before taking it down. I learned a few stationary hunting techniques to get them to come up close voluntarily, from a goat hunter work colleague. I used a few of those tricks now and then since it was my job to keep track of a herd of 50 that year, daily.

sometimes I didn't have to do any tricks. I'd hear a cough behind me, turn around and a young buck would be staring at me from 20 feet away. other times I'd try to sneak up on a group hiding from the heat of day in a 10-ft deep gully, somehow they'd hear me no matter how quiet I was sneaking, and downwind at that. they'd always run away out the far end of the gully before I ever got close enough to peek over the edge at them. perfect hearing or 6th sense or something.

PessOptimist
04-13-2016, 10:37 PM
You got me fired up. Not for golf but for completing my goal of seeing all 50 states. 47 so far and the three missing are the two Dakotas and Hawaii. Aloha may have to wait but ND is a possibility. It sounds great. But then I also wanted to take a job in Hinton, IA. SO squashed that dream. A friend may hold a record as the only weather maintenance person to ever volunteer to go to Minot, ND. He tells me he loved it. Found nothing about the weather that needed fixing. Also knew a person way back who was stationed at a place called Mickelson somewhere near Grand Forks. He also said he loved it. Must be something good up there.

PO

burrocrat
04-14-2016, 07:13 PM
ok so i am refining our golf intro strategery a bit for how we ease into playing our first round. i welcome any advice or suggestions on how to go about this. absent of taking lessons, which i don't plan to do anytime soon until we just cannot figure it out on our own, for shizzle my wizzle this is the plot.

i am going to focus on just 4 clubs, and the putter eventually. the next time we go to the range i am only hitting the 3 wood, 5 hybrid, 6 iron, and 9 iron, and the putter obviously on the greens. i am going to learn how to hit these 4 clubs only until i get predictable results. next range trip this weekend just a large bucket of balls with these 4 clubs. 3rd range trip mid-next week another bucket of balls and then practice some putting. then we will play a 9 hole round next weekend or as soon as the weather cooperates. these 4 clubs should allow me to hit long holes with the 3 wood and medium holes with the 5 hybrid from the tees. 5 hybrid on long fairway 2nd shots. 6 iron or 9 iron depending on how close to the green. and then the putter. i bought a 16 piece set (11 clubs) to only play with 5. ha! i find that extremely funny.

we are going to hit off the red middle tees not the long blue ones or short white ones. and we are not going to keep score. just hit until we get to the green, not in a hurry, then putt, not in a hurry. i am more concerned about getting reliable direction and distance with these clubs, then i will start to expand my horizon. i am not sure what the kid is going to do, he likes to just try to crush the driver so i'm cool with that.

also i think i need to take some gatorade with a strong mix of russian cough syrup instead of several cans of beer because the extra liquid volume might get uncomfortable near about the 7th hole unless they have portapotties midway, and i have been doing pretty good so far these last few years keeping my name out of the local paper for indecent exposure.

FogSailing
04-14-2016, 11:00 PM
Hi Burro. That plan is as sound as any good golf plan. I assume those clubs work best for you so that is the reason for your focus. I especially think working the 3 wood instead of the driver is a very smart approach for the 1st year. Play with the driver on the range until you feel comfortable with it. My favorite clubs are my pitching wedge, 9 iron, 7 iron, 4 hybrid, 3 fairway utility, and my 3 wood. I'd say my putter but that is where I lose the most strokes. Have fun. Sounds like a good plan.

FS

burrocrat
04-16-2016, 08:16 PM
oh i just watched probably the greatest golf movie of all time! tin cup. i had never heard of it before, it is a good one, you got to see it.

i lost interest in kevin costner movies after he let a spoiled whitney houston walk all over him in bodyguard, but this is a great movie and he is a pretty good actor. you got to hand it to him for his determination. brilliant.

alevin
04-16-2016, 08:52 PM
I loved watching Tin Cup, saw it a couple years ago. great story.

PessOptimist
04-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Caddyshack is the greatest golf movie. Comedy genre I suppose. Tincup is also great and I have enjoyed watching it many times. Bagger Vance and Happy Gilmore should also be checked out imho.

PO

jpcavin
04-18-2016, 01:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFvD7XSfX4

Buster
04-19-2016, 07:49 AM
Danny Willet won his first major championship with a score of 283 (−5), three strokes ahead of runners-up Lee Westwood and last years Master's Champion Jordan Spieth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Spieth)..Jordan's demise started with sucking water in his last round with two consecutive pond shots..the beginning of his end.

FogSailing
04-19-2016, 09:26 AM
That was a real shock to see Jordan Spieth have such a horrible hole. If only the golf balls could learn to swim. But it was a great Master's. Loved following it this year.

FS

burrocrat
04-21-2016, 10:45 PM
so i am still into the golf, but i haven't had any chances to get back out there since our first range visit. for the last entire week it has been cloudy and overcast and raining a nice soft slow rain. that is very good and perfect timing as the moisture will set the grass for grazing and hay off as soon as the sun comes out and warms thing up and a few days later the crop guys can start putting the money in the ground bigtime with a chance of success. so this year is starting off great from my agriculture perspective.

but it sucks bigtime from my golf perspective. actually the sun came out yesterday and most of today and the whole entire prairie just lit up in 36 hours, green time, from grey to tan to sort of growing to a vibrant strong full of life total deep green as far as the eye can see, set against a brilliant blue sky and some puffy white clouds. that is beauty right there, what a wonderful planet we are so lucky to live on. off to the races, this is my favorite time of year.

unfortunately, wednesday yesterday is when the junior high golf team practices at the driving range. who plays school sports on wednesdays? no other sports do that, it is always catholic ccd day and no football or basketball or nothing. but them damn golf heathen apostates hit the course right after school on wednesdays and my kid refuses to shoot when the rich golf nerds are around. i don't blame him a bit. and also we can't golf on thursdays after work or school either because that is men's day when they just string kegs of beer all along the course and range and nobody under 21 can play.

so i hope to get out again for our 2nd driving range session tomorrow or on the weekend to practice my 4-club (3w, 5h, 6i, 9i) strategery. and then early next week to split a bucket of balls and work on chip shots and putting. then next weekend i want to play our first 9-hole round. i am so excited.

but the weather lately has been ticking me off. if i wanted perpetual grey gloom and misty drizzling raining drizzling misty doom, i would've just stayed in the specific northwest. i used to could handle that oppressive sky for 4 months november through march, but now a week of it makes me almost crazy. almost. but in the next few days we are going to go smack the **** out of some balls. yeah.

burrocrat
04-24-2016, 12:47 AM
i wonder if tom has ever considered getting some golf balls made up with the tsptalk logo? i would definitely pick a sleeve of those over another coffee mug when i get lucky and win the monthly tracker or guess the pretend employment numbers.

burrocrat
04-24-2016, 12:56 AM
i love this game. today sucked, but that is how it goes sometimes. 20+ mph winds blowing straight in my face at the range today, wind and rain and maybe a last blast of snow predicted for the next few days. soon enough it will turn to warm and sun, but the wind will usually be around.

the running joke when a newbie to the region asks 'so does the wind always blow this way out here?', the response is 'naah, sometimes it blows the other way'. it takes a sick sense of humor to deal with the weather and live on the northern plains, but that is just the way we like it, it keeps the riff-raff out.

FogSailing
04-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Hi Burro: I went out and hit the range on Friday. Spent about 2 hours out there driving, chipping and putting. The driving is giving me problems this week so I went to my 3 wood and put the driver back in the bag. Stinkin Driver....

Glad you went and had a good time..

FS

jpcavin
04-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Funny, I took my daughter to her first golf lesson on Saturday. [emoji4]

Mostly practiced form and chipping? Is that what it's called? [emoji3] Don't know what's considered good for a 6 year old first timer but she never gave up trying and even laughed at herself a few times. I was so proud of her.

PGA instructor was pretty cool too. Even let her keep the club and a bucket of balls so she could practice during the week.

Afterwards, we went out for ice cream as promised.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/3439765032865c565b169a09afbd767d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/602e2f13050d6b979fef2fe37eda4d23.jpg

https://vimeo.com/163989282

https://vimeo.com/163989377

Ok, so TapaTalk isn't the best avenue for posting videos...Sorry about that. :o
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burrocrat
04-24-2016, 01:53 PM
PGA instructor was pretty cool too. Even let her keep the club and a bucket of balls so she could practice during the week.

Afterwards, we went out for ice cream as promised.

i'll have to remember that, i don't think my instructor would let me take the club and balls home. what kind of ice cream did he order?

all kidding aside, that is really cool jcpcavin. it looks like she is having fun too. i notice she is doing something deliberate on her swings, she is turning her body after the club swings through and following it around. you might have a natural there.

burrocrat
04-24-2016, 02:14 PM
i have been browsing around the internet and i got this bright idea to look for corporate promotional golf stuff because a coworker of mine gave us some things she had laying around from previous tournaments. golf ball sleeves and towels and logo'd balls and stuff. when you host a golf tournament it seems you give away some schwag. it turns out they have just about anything you could imagine, neoprene ball sleeves/pouches, tees, ball markers, turf repair tools, towels, balls of all qualities and prices, all logo'd up and tricked out.

after i get more into the summer and actually start playing, i am going to start a collection of golf balls of the places we play. i noticed that our local course has logo'd callaway balls for sale for $2. and when my son did his golf merit badge he got a national guard one who was one of the sponsors for their free use of course and range and stuff. i'm assuming that most golf courses have their own logo and balls and this is pretty standard to pick one up at a new course? if not, i am going to start our own tradition anyways, see how many different local and state courses we can play when we go somewhere.

they even have golf ball racks/shelves to display them on. i might talk to kave about it and see what he thinks he could make something like that for out of his tobacco barn reclaimed wood. he did a great job on my ecig vaping shrine and stand and drawer.

meanwhile, i decided to pick up a new ball marker...

jpcavin
04-24-2016, 03:18 PM
i'll have to remember that, i don't think my instructor would let me take the club and balls home. what kind of ice cream did he order?

all kidding aside, that is really cool jcpcavin. it looks like she is having fun too. i notice she is doing something deliberate on her swings, she is turning her body after the club swings through and following it around. you might have a natural there.

I don't recall but I got the vanilla and it was scrumptious! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zY4Trz7po

FogSailing
04-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Super job JP!!!!Something tells me you are ONE GREAT MOM!!!:smile:

FS

jpcavin
04-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Super job JP!!!!Something tells me you are ONE GREAT MOM!!!:smile:

FS

Thank you FS. Sometimes I lose my way, but I try.

tsptalk
04-30-2016, 05:48 PM
i wonder if tom has ever considered getting some golf balls made up with the tsptalk logo? i would definitely pick a sleeve of those over another coffee mug when i get lucky and win the monthly tracker or guess the pretend employment numbers.

Did somebody mention TSP Talk golf balls? Great idea. I just ordered 50 sleeves of 3. Topflite.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/golfball2.gif

FogSailing
04-30-2016, 07:02 PM
Tom: That is really a super thing to do. Really nice. Thanks..

FS

burrocrat
04-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Did somebody mention TSP Talk golf balls? Great idea. I just ordered 50 sleeves of 3. Topflite.

tom, you have nice balls.

how can i get my hands on them? are they going to be for sale in the tsptalk storefront soon? i am definitely going to get some of those and put one in my collection. suhweeet!

tsptalk
04-30-2016, 08:51 PM
It will take about 3 weeks before delivered. I'll offer them as one of the prize choices.

burrocrat
04-30-2016, 09:05 PM
It will take about 3 weeks before delivered. I'll offer them as one of the prize choices.

ok. hurry up run another contest then please.

tsptalk
05-01-2016, 11:56 AM
The jobs report contest is this week. Start your analysis. :)

burrocrat
05-08-2016, 10:40 AM
today we had planned to go to the range and practice our last driving session and then some chipping and putting on the practice green, but it occurs to me since it is mother's day maybe all the gals are at home or church receiving their accolades and if they are smart the guys are at home and church with them. so we might actually shoot our first round today if the course if empty. i am still planning on not keeping score this first round and just shooting 9 holes and getting used to the course and the flow of things. our range practice sessions aren't getting much better and we're hitting consistently not erratically so much now so maybe it is time.

we did happen to be in the biggest city in the state yesterday, and visited a for real dedicated golf only store. it was cool. i didn't get measured for clubs because i am still developing my swing and want to get in a bit better golf form as well as physical shape before shelling out for a real set of clubs. at our level these inexpensive ones are just fine. but you can tell the quality of the nicer 'professional' clubs. like a dream, they feel like butter in your hands and so sophisticated on the construction and appearance. maybe in a couple of years i could justify the expense.

i liked the nike vapor fly's but a strange thing happened when i picked up the 9-iron. i felt like erin nordegren and wanted to bash tiger's cheating face in, so that is not going to work for me. god i wish i felt like erin nordegren i would never leave the house. the callaways seemed really high class, and they are the manufacturer of our entry level sets and i really like those, but unfortunately the winning powerball ticket was sold in new jersey and i did not buy my ticket in new jersey so i guess the new clubs and the rock star party bus are going to have to wait a little longer.

we did pick up a few more 'accessories'. i love buying golf stuff even though we aren't really golfers, yet. i got a leatherlike scorecard holder, a cleat bag/tote, a multitool for cleaning and repairing clubs and it has a ball marker too. also i got a dozen new balls because they had a special if you spend so much then get a discount. so i picked up some callaway balls, not the fancy ones, damn those are expensive at ~$4 per ball. we got some for about $1.25 per ball which is only a quarter more expensive than the pinnacles i already have. they are the callaway 'warbirds', pretty cheap i'm sure but i really liked the logo on the package and they are callaways!

so it's off to the range and maybe shoot a round. happy mother's day everybody.

FogSailing
05-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Hey Burro. Glad to see you're still at it. I played on 18 holes on Thursday. I shot a 47 on the front nine...good score for me but pulled a muscle in my shoulder on the 15th hole so decided to hold off for a few days. I think you will like your Callaways. They make nice clubs and they are forgiving...a very important feature....I live for FORGIVENESS.

Good point about Mother's day. Shield Maiden and I met up with a bunch of friends for Mom's Day brunch today. We eat at a French (snooty) place on special occasions (unified wives decisions so the guys just do what we're told). I always order the "beignets" but the waitress always gives me a cold shoulder look because I order them as BenGays...:D:D:D

Anyways...hit em straight and hit em long..and stay out of sand and water

FS

burrocrat
05-08-2016, 04:41 PM
oh we had a blast again today, my kid agreed he will play a round for sure next time. i ended up sitting in the shade on a bench by the putting green after i had had enough but he wanted to keep practicing chipping and putting. at first when we started he wasn't really trying and i can tell it is because he knows he is going to lose so it is better to look 'cooler' like you don't care about losing. but lately he has hit some good ones and compliments go a long way. also, on the putting green after i missed an easy 6-footer i naturally rolled off a good "corksoaking motherforking dognam sonofabiatch" just as smooth as honey and he busted up laughing. i told him "hey, that is acceptable in golf", and he lightened up considerably after that. it's good to teach your kids how to handle failure is what all the parenting books say, so maybe i am on the right track there.

i noticed something interesting today about body form or muscle memory, it must be an instinct or something because i've started to notice it in other golfers too, but today i felt it for myself. when i nailed an uphill sloping right 20-foot put and sank it, my knees buckled just a bit and sat down in the air, yes! it felt so right. also on the driving range when i would hit it straight and long and almost on the flag i was aiming at i could tell before looking up and tracking on the ball in flight. i have been trying to start my hips rotation and keep my head down and follow all the way through smooth. and when i do that right i end up facing squarely down the course with my right heel off the ground to just the toe and the sole vertical and facing almost exactly behind me, with my club over my left shoulder locked into that 'sweet shot man, damn' pose, that's how you are supposed to watch a shot fly straight down the course i guess. it seems if you hit it right your body just falls into place where it should be, or maybe the other way around, i don't know yet.

so i can hit my 3 wood off a tee a good 175+ yards down the range and mostly straight about 3/4ths of the time, +/- 25 yards left or right. and i got the 9-iron 75+ yards in the air and bouncing another 10 or so pretty predictable too. i can tell though that it is going to take a long time and lots of shots to ever reach a green and if lucky then 3 putt.

so we are ready now, next time out is the big 'first 9 holes', i can't hardly wait, i hope the weather holds out. today was like 70 degrees a frickin heat wave. it is pretty sad when you work up a sweat hitting a bucket of balls. maybe we should rent a cart at first.

burrocrat
05-08-2016, 04:52 PM
the course was pretty full for what i expected on mother's day. the manager said it always fills up after church and folks have been calling all day. apparently there are some mom's out there that like to golf. i saw a few interesting things.

one was an old couple, she could hardly get around but he was patient with her and driving her in the cart and picked her ball out of the cup on the 9th green and it was obviously something they had done together many many times before but not so much any more. i thought that bit of chivalry was pretty inspiring.

another foursome was a dad/mom and son/daughter-in-law group. the young gal was not so much into golf but the mother-in-law was and so that was some good family time they were having.

and when we were leaving this pudgy guy is walking up to the clubhouse with his two kids in tow, none of them looking really excited about golf today. but obviously that is what mom wanted because she stayed home, 'leave me alone give me some peace' is what i imagined she must've asked for today. i bet she was already soaking in a hot bubble bath with the candles burning and breaking out a new set of d-cells, finally a few hours to herself.

people are fun, and funny, and strange what you see sometimes. who knew golf had anything to do with mother's day? it's all good.

burrocrat
05-15-2016, 03:43 PM
we played our first full 9 holes today and oh it was a blast! lots of things to talk about, that is just about the best damn entertainment for $27 ($13.50 each) you can get if you ask me.

we decided to no matter what not keep score. which turned out to be a good thing rather quickly. on the first tee i hit a pretty good 3-wood but topped it and it made it to the fairway bouncing over the youth/women's tee. one fairway in regulation, check. my kid likes to try to crush the driver but he always lines up wrong, he is ambidextrous and writes/swings right handed but throws/kicks as a lefty, and his brain sees some unusual angles. but he doesn't like to take advice from me, which i don't blame him for. so his first drive took off like a rocket and then apparently one jet failed and it headed for the trees separating the driving range but bounced of a trunk and landed almost mid-fairway. ha! two greens in regulation, we might be pretty good at this!

nope we zig zagged all over the place and the foursome behind us was starting to get impatient. but we just kept hitting our shots, the first hole was well over 10 shots each. but then that foursome never caught up to us. but we did get passed by this cool old couple, man and wife i assume, they played probably the most efficient golf i can imagine. one cart, two of them, he would hit from the professional back tee and then drive her to the ladies tee and then they would just keep moving. at hole 5 tee we waited and let them pass us. their 4th green was pretty awesome. she hit it but way away from the hole, and he came up short. so they park their cart in between green and next tee and he grabs wedge and putter and she grabs putter and they head their ways and he chips and then tosses it aside and goes hold the flag for her then she putts then he pulls the flag and drops it and putts his own then she putts then he holes out. they never stopped moving or waited on each other, it was quite a dance. then they blasted of in front of us. it was something to see.

we got passed again by two guys each in their own cart before the 6th tee. father and son. the dad was all of 80 and the son pushing 60 at least. they hit from the youth/ladies tees and it was another duo working in tandem thing. this was dad's day and they played it their way. they both owned their own private gas golf carts not electric. and buzzed passed and then buzzed up the field. boom boom boom, go to go. cool.

my kid turns to me and says "don't get all lovey-dovey, neither of us will be golfing when you're 80". frickin smartass.

burrocrat
05-15-2016, 04:13 PM
so now for the fun parts!

my kid is a whiz at the 5 hybrid off the fairway, if he can hit the fairway. he hit a shot 150 yards probably, dead straight took two bounces and landed on the green, best approach ever! you could just see his pride. then he 5 putts but no prob, i had plenty of those too. but that is when i saw him first light up, he was thinking 'i can do this', that is a good thing for a dad to see. i was so happy for him.

i 'kuhfrikkinrushed' a drive off the 6th tee for 200 yards with my 3-wood. that is an official golf term for when you crush a shot but even mo frikkin better as in 'oh yeah baby i kuhfrikkinrushed that one!' straight up and straight down and only 10 yards of center. boom. i hit the next iron shot perfect distance too would've been flag deep on the green for a birdie putt except i went 20 yards wide in the rough. and then donked off the chip and a few putts. but for a minute there i was a legend in my own mind.

the best shot of the day though was my kid's approach on the 9th. he is lined up crooked again and i told him just listen, do this. square your feet, turn this way a bit. now scoot up a bit. hit it! he was so mad at that point he didn't even think. he just killed the 8 iron 100 yards dead center, it took one bounce then up on the green and rolled towards the hole only maybe 15 feet away. goldamn was he proud of himself. yeah! and he almost made the putt too, just a foot short which is better than blasting it off the green like he usually does.

burrocrat
05-15-2016, 04:23 PM
so we just had a blast. i was walking up to the 8th tee, got all smug and said 'i haven't lost a ball yet'. then i shanked it off in the trees over the fence. well crap. then i lost another one in the cattails on the ninth (we don't really have water out here, at least not enough to waste on artificial lakes and stuff, just sloughs and drainage draws and they are pegged off with marker where the water would be in a really wet place like arizona or california).

my kid lost 5 balls i think. i lost two. but we found one. so that is about another $6 down the hole. i shot my pinnacles i loved in my youth, but am going to hit the free topflite balls my coworker gave me next round. and then i am pulling out my callaway warbirds and going to 'kuhfrikkinrush' it. my son had so much fun. he even said 'well this is way better than sitting inside not talking to each other'. bingo! yes! worth every penny. we laughed a lot. apparently he thinks it is funny when i miss my shot and roll of a string of cuss words to make a sailor blush.

ah, good times.

burrocrat
05-15-2016, 04:34 PM
dang i am getting old though. after walking 9 holes what seemed like miles my feet hurt. and i tried a little too hard on the 8th after i lost my ball and didn't pull anything but pushed my back muscles a little too hard. and i was getting out of breath. but we don't need no stinkin cart. i can do this. it will get better. total fun. we are going again next week for another round. and if the weather is good some more driving range practice. if i can just get him lined up right he will start killing it. he like how it feels when he hits a good shot, better than dad. i have no problem with that. so maybe success can be his motivator. and i wore my new cargo shorts and polo shirt, look at me, all uptown and stuff. first sun my legs have seen outside of a swimming suit in years.

watch out, here we come. golfing is totally fun.

FogSailing
05-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Sounds like a wonderful day of golf. I play again this Thursday. All the guys I'm playing with are better golfers than I am so I really enjoy it. It makes me concentrate and play better. I'm going to the pro soon to get some help with my driver. It just isn't working for me and I know it is something fixable. Hopefully this year I can get that club moving things better for me. For now, the 3 wood is doing a good job. Glad you had a great time. You'll enjoy being the Dad and kid out there when you're 80 Burro.

Our big news is that my son (age 35) is getting married on June 3rd. He is a blue collar guy and he and his bride want to get married in Vegas so we're all heading up there on June 3 and 4 to have a bit of a celebration (the marriage, good food, some shows, and some slots). I'm glad for my son. The girl he is marrying is a real sweet heart. He is a lucky guy.

All the best,

FS

tsptalk
05-17-2016, 10:13 PM

Well, I ordered TopFlite but got Wilson for some reason. Not a big deal but I'm a little disappointed.

burrocrat
05-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Well, I ordered TopFlite but got Wilson for some reason. Not a big deal but I'm a little disappointed.

same company, same balls. i am shooting pinnacle golds at a buck apiece right now. gonna shoot some free topflites next round. and i have some callaway warbirds at about $1.35 per ball. none of them are going to change my game. i like these balls because they have 'tsptalk' on them. priceless.

tsptalk
05-17-2016, 10:30 PM
We may have to do a Mug Shot version with the golf balls from courses around the country.

k0nkuzh0n
05-17-2016, 10:33 PM
Gonna need a GoPro, or some type of waterproof camera :laugh:

We may have to do a Mug Shot version with the golf balls from courses around the country.

tsptalk
05-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Hole #18 at Schneiter's Riverside course in Riverdale Utah. Last hole finally remembered to snap a shot.

I didn't use them but I gave a sleeve to a friend of mine. He hit one into the water and I almost fell in retrieving it, but here it is alive and well.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/golfballs2.gif

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/golfballs1.gif

burrocrat
05-21-2016, 03:27 PM
oh man, we don't have greens out here in nodak like that.

plus the wind is blowing and everything is dried out. we don't really have water hazards out here either, just spots where the cattails grow and some drainage once in a while. most of the water goes to growing food for the rest of the states where they have lots of water for golf courses but no food.

anyways, they rope off the 'water' hazards so it is easier to imagine a lake there. glad you didn't fall in.

burrocrat
05-22-2016, 10:27 AM
so i have some golf equipment questions...

what do you use for a putter? i notice tom has an odessey mallet style putter from his pics and i have a similar kind of shaped putter, but when i shop around the internet i always find myself looking at those blade style putters with the offset geometric piece connecting the head to the shaft. like a nike method matter b2-01 or else an odessey white hot 2.0. but then i have this fascination with everything made by callaway. so what do you folks use and why? is there an advantage in the mallet vs. blade type heads?

also while i am on the topic, do you mix clubs in your bag? do you have a different brand driver than your fairway woods or irons? do you have a different brand putter than the rest of the clubs in your bag? do you carry a special wedge that doesn't match? what do you do about the different grips that come with them, get them all re-gripped to be consistent?

i know it will be a couple years before i can outshoot my current clubs unless i break them, but i am already looking at what i would like if money or skill was no object. i think i would tend to want a matched set of same style and model clubs from the same manufacturer. but i haven't played enough to figure out some of the things other (good?) golfers do.

tsptalk
05-22-2016, 11:52 AM
I've gone through all the stages you talk about. There was a time when a set of clubs lasted me 10-15 years. They worked and I didn't have a budget to allow me to be too picky. Then, I went through a phase where I went through 3 sets in three years. The more serious I got about playing, the more I felt I needed a better club. But in reality it is whatever feels right. If it takes an expensive club to raise confidence, then that works. If it's an old fairway wood that just always felt right - stick with it. Putters are a big one and I never found one that made me put better, but they "feel" better.

I discovered an unorthodox putting stance recently (more open) and use a claw grip for short putts, but kept leaving them short so stuck with a traditional grip for anything outside 10 feet. That's what's working now - but for how long? :)

Basically, the more you play, the better you get and the more you will know what you need. I find that the more time I spend practicing chipping and putting, the better my scores are.

FogSailing
05-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Hi Burro. I went through about 5 putters before I found one that works well. It is a Taylormade. I bought it used and it is about 6 years old. It has the right weight and balance for me though and it has improved my putting a lot. I mix clubs. I wnt ou before I knew what I was doing and bought Nike Covert driver, 3 wood, and 4 and 5 hybrids. They are all adjustable. Big deal. The driver works petty well but the 3 wood not so much. The 4 and 5 hybrids are a wash. I currently use Callaways and Clevelands for most of my clubs. I like the weight and loft of the Clevelands for the short game and the forgiveness of the Callaways for the fairway. I'm still in search of though (you're always looking for something that improves the game a bit)....

FS

FireWeatherMet
05-22-2016, 05:06 PM

I'm not much of a golfer (yet) but if and when I do...I'll likely be snagging a few packs of those bad boys....they look nice.

burrocrat
05-25-2016, 09:19 PM
David Feherty says Tiger Woods is (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/david-feherty-says-tiger-woods-is-%e2%80%98too-stubborn%e2%80%99-to-admit-his-playing-days-are-over/ar-BBtt363)

When the world last saw Woods, courtesy of Golf Channel’s live coverage of the Quicken Loans National media day, he rinsed three consecutive balls using a wedge from the 100-yard 10th tee at Congressional Country Club.
During the exhibition, Tiger swung like a rusty gate, grumbled about being stiff, issued one "Holy cow" and a couple of discernible "Ughs."
Could that sad display actually be the last time we see Tiger swing a club?

well, i am thinking this can only be great news for golf consumers. now don't get me wrong, i like tiger woods as much as the next guy but probably less than erin nordegren, and i can only imagine that this will put that set of nike vapor fly pro irons i've had my eye on at a fire sale discount, like at least 25% off and nike never runs sales. so this is a good thing, no?

FogSailing
05-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Played golf today at a new course. Lots of water and sand. My golf balls decided they liked to swim...poor suckers all drowned. The sand traps reminded me of the planet Dune.... hot, dusty, no water, and full of giant worms...I decided to stay out of there and just take the penalty.. The toughest part was the wind...25-35 mph gusts in my face for 3/4 of the course. I tried to hit em low with a 5, 6, or 7 but the wind made me unstable...ok...I've always been unstable...never mind about my personal stuff.. Terrible score 106. But all the guys I play with all shot at least 100 and 2 of them are low 80's golfers. Because I had the highest score, they had to buy my beer at the 19th hole. Made the whole crazy episode worth it...thus ends my journaling for the day

FS

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 07:54 AM
ok, i rarely go ocd and all minute detail planner/tinker and stuff, but this golf club thing is a problem my brain won't quit trying to solve, so i have been thinking a lot about it, even in my dreams.

by the official rules, you are allowed to carry 14 clubs in your bag. so what 14 clubs should that be? there are some obvious choices and a few 'shoulder' clubs to fill in the gaps. this i what i have come up with, what i would do if money was not an object.

but i also have to ask myself... this golf game is a blast and i am in it cheap and there is no way any set of clubs at this level is going to improve my game by a factor of 8 so why pay 8 times more for a fancy set of tools? at this point, what difference does it make?

we have a range session today and tomorrow a tee time. maybe on monday while everybody is at the lake we might go on a short road trip and visit another semi-local course for an extra round.

i am going to think out loud about club selection and why. any input is welcome.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 08:24 AM
necessary clubs:

1#, driver. yes, even though i can't control it yet and hardly use it, you need a good driver. i prefer to use the 3w instead even on the long holes because a medium shot that hits the fairway or close is way better than a monster drive that rockets over the railroad tracks. this is the most expensive club in the bag, and it better be a good one.

2#, 3 wood. probably the most used club in the bag, i use it almost every tee except for the short par 3 iron holes. you better be good with this club, both off the tee and on long smooth fairway second shots. the 3 wood is your money maker, it's the one what keeps you in play.

3#, putter. yep, better have a good putter that whispers to you through the ether, one that bends reality and space and time, and can even trick momentum and gravity, like a light saber only better, whooompf whooompf young jedi.

so that is 3 clubs, 11 left to go.

FogSailing
05-28-2016, 08:35 AM
That's a tough one Burro. Very personal. It's all about YOU and only you can figure out the best mix. I change my clubs sometimes depending on the course. What clubs do you hit the best/worst? Are the fairways wide and forgiving or not? Is there a lot of water and sand? Is it hilly or flat terrain? Are there a lot of trees or other natural obstructions, etc. Takes time to get to a place where you feel comfortable. Enjoy the journey. And watch out for those dreams..:D:D:D

FS

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 08:45 AM
more necessary clubs, but the number of them is undefined:

irons. you have to have irons. my current set is second run cavity-back callaways. they go 6-7-8-9-pw-sw (p = pitching wedge, s = sand wedge). so that is six more clubs, but they leave me feeling lacking. the 6i is a short club, you cannot pound it for low straight distance. my favorite club as a youth in my previous golf life was the 5 iron, i could hit it like throwing darts, adjust my body and technique not the club, and i don't have one now. i have already regretted it.

this brings up another problem, the second shot medium game from the fairway or rough. the 4- and 5-hybrids don't really do it for me, i can't feel them. so you need longer irons in this situation, i would rather hit a 5 iron than a 5 hybrid, and there are rarely spots where you get a perfect fairway lie and want a 5 wood. and none of those can match the long straight potential of a 4 iron with consistent technique from any lie, unless there are trees in your way which happens sometimes, but i can always see a path through the trees although mostly it just gets caught up in the branches and drops down in a hole by the trunk.

#8, irons. 4-5-6-7-8-9-pw-sw, that is eight more clubs added to the three previous for sure necessaries. i want these all the same brand, nothing special, just predictable, and same brand matching the woods.

the 4i or 5i can sub for the gap in between 3w and 6i from any lie that i have the most trouble with now.

so i am at #11 clubs.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 09:00 AM
i have used up 11 of my 14 choices now in my fantasy golf world: d, 3w, 4-sw, & p. that only leaves me three clubs to fine tune. this is not so bad, this process of elimination. all of the clubs in that above group would be the same manufacturer and model, with the exception of the putter.

what fits between a 3w and a 4- or 5-iron? a 5 wood or 5 hybrid? what fits between a pw or sw and the putter? an aw (approach wedge)?

if the default is a 5i, then i think a 5w on a smooth fairway lie would beat it. and a 5h would also beat it from a less than perfect fairway lie. but 5i is always the first choice from the rough.

i have a philosophical problem with the hybrid clubs, make up your damn mind, what are you? but my kid can kill the 5h so i see the beauty in that, but i just can't hit it yet.

i think you need both a 5 wood for those perfect short fairway shots, and a 5 hybrid for those imperfect fairway shots. save the 5 iron for the rough or when you gonna frikkin nail it. you can put shape on a 5i, i have done it before.

#2, add the 5w and 5h and that puts me at 13 clubs.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 09:16 AM
last club then for my dream golf gear. it has to be a specialty wedge to fill the gap between pw, sw, and putter. keeping with the same brand theory as all the other clubs that would be an aw (approach wedge). this is basically a putter you can hit from the fringe or short rough within 20 yards from the hole as i understand it. it would be really critical to be able to control these types of shots.

the aw is different from the sw when you just need to blast it out, and also different from the pw when you need 50 yards. of course my natural tendency would be to keep it in the same club family, but if you watch the banner ads on tsptalk they now advertise a miracle wedge for $99 that will shave a stroke off of every hole. now who doesn't like strokes and shaving and holes? tough sell there, give that advertising genius a raise, almost tricked me into clicking the buy button.

#1, approach wedge. that puts me at 14 clubs. that is the limit. for my peace of mind i would prefer all of the clubs to be the same brand and model but i could compromise on the putter and specialty wedge, and i would pay to get them all gripped the same, eventually.

so where does that leave me? d, 3w, 5w, 5h, 4-sw, aw, putter. that is my 14 clubs if i was on a spending spree, but i'm not, yet. because that brings up a whole nother set of problems.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 09:18 AM
That's a tough one Burro. Very personal. It's all about YOU and only you can figure out the best mix. I change my clubs sometimes depending on the course. What clubs do you hit the best/worst? Are the fairways wide and forgiving or not? Is there a lot of water and sand? Is it hilly or flat terrain? Are there a lot of trees or other natural obstructions, etc. Takes time to get to a place where you feel comfortable. Enjoy the journey. And watch out for those dreams..:D:D:D

FS

i shoot the irons best. out here almost everything is long and flat with no water. and i've tried but i can't watch out for those dreams, they seem to hit me hardest when my guard is down.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 09:26 AM
i want callaways, the type i am looking at are callaway xr's. this is apparently an old last couple years model because they have newer xr-16's now, amazon warns me about these things. but i could get all 14 clubs mentioned same brand and grips, plus a new bag and some extra gloves and fancy balls for $2,000. but i can only get in them standard lengths, not measured and fit because they are out of production? if i want to go whole hog then it takes $3,000 for the set. would this help me? i doubt it.

in for a penny, in for a pound. there is no reason to spend $2k for xr's or even $3k at this point, but a custom $3k set of xr-16's would definitely be a better value than $2k standard. this is a difficult question.

on the other hand... i could waste at least $3k in one sitting on things of far less value. hell, you could enjoy a night in vegas full of coke and hookers for $3k and not even get to take the bag home and keep it in the garage. it's all relative i suppose.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 09:42 AM
so this is my compromise...

i am not buying a new set of clubs because i will save that for later when i need a little extra oooompf after i get better but not yet great. in the meantime i will just practice with what i got. then i will show them.

but i probably am going to order a single club callaway xr 5 iron to add another trick to my budget bag. after i develop some midrange accuracy then i might look at putters or specialty wedges.

also, i am now ready to begin wagering on my golf game. if any of you ever find yourself in north dakota with a few hours to spare i will find you, and bet you a beer, let me know.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 10:19 AM
ok ok, i just couldn't help it. i ordered a callaway xr 5 iron steel shaft for $100. and a brush and groove cleaning set of tools, and some random ditty bags.

oh god, i just can't hardly wait for my 5 iron to get here. i felt naked without a 5 iron. whooo wheeeee!

thank you amazon and free shipping.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 10:29 AM
off to the links. have a great weekend. laters.

burrocrat
05-28-2016, 10:18 PM
so just for fun i loaded up my amazon cart with everything i could ever want for golf. callaway xr-16 driver, 3w, and 5w, xr 5h, xr set of irons 4i-pw, sw, aw, and a white hot rx1 putter. then i added a carry stand bag, some fancy balls, a towel, cap, and extra gloves. guess what? if i was a billionaire i could not spend more than $2,260.73 with tax on golf stuff. and the funny part is i am not a billionaire i only got a $300 total investment setup now and can still shoot as good as some billionaires. ha, that is too funny!

but if anybody out there drew the burro secret santa card i will give you my amazon password to the cart and you can be done with it, easy peasy, only cost a couple grand and change.

tempting isn't it? so i put them all in my 'save for later' basket. some day.

if it was back in the day when i qualified for earned income credit on my taxes, then i could buy this whole meal deal with my refund. but now i done went and got all successful so no more earned income credit. now i can afford to buy them on my own, but if i do i can't afford to eat. funny how things even out in the end.

burrocrat
05-29-2016, 12:10 AM
i went to golfsmith and did the same thing, except only one glove instead of three and a different but cooler mesh hat. yep, $2,241.88. same diff. it looks like i need to hustle me up about $2.25k, it could happen. also my golfsmith cart login is available to secret santa too.

so just for fun i loaded up my amazon cart with everything i could ever want for golf. callaway xr-16 driver, 3w, and 5w, xr 5h, xr set of irons 4i-pw, sw, aw, and a white hot rx1 putter. then i added a carry stand bag, some fancy balls, a towel, cap, and extra gloves. guess what? if i was a billionaire i could not spend more than $2,260.73 with tax on golf stuff. and the funny part is i am not a billionaire i only got a $300 total investment setup now and can still shoot as good as some billionaires. ha, that is too funny!

but if anybody out there drew the burro secret santa card i will give you my amazon password to the cart and you can be done with it, easy peasy, only cost a couple grand and change.

tempting isn't it? so i put them all in my 'save for later' basket. some day.

if it was back in the day when i qualified for earned income credit on my taxes, then i could buy this whole meal deal with my refund. but now i done went and got all successful so no more earned income credit. now i can afford to buy them on my own, but if i do i can't afford to eat. funny how things even out in the end.

burrocrat
05-29-2016, 02:53 PM
well whoever was my secret santa can put their credit card away and breath easy, i will not be needing that fancy set of clubs for a while. probably a long while. i already emptied out my shopping carts so don't try to change my mind.

man, i sucked today. i don't even know where my first two balls went, one was deep off to the right onto the driving range i think. i put my driver away after that first tee, i hate that driver, matter of fact i hate all drivers. i lost all 3 topflite's that were a gift from a coworker. lost 3 pinacles. and lost two of my callaway warbirds. and we only played 9 holes. plus my feet hurt.

on the bright side, while looking for my balls today i found three others. an orange nitro, a yellow titliest, and a callaway cxhot or something. i can't tell you the model name because i lost it too.

golf sucks.

oh, and i lost my glove too. i took it off when i went to take a leak and don't know where it went after that.

burrocrat
05-29-2016, 03:32 PM
here are some pictures of my tsptalk golf gear. the cap, the ball which i no way in hell was going to put into play today, the ball marker silver coin which thank god i did not lose today considering i lost just about everything else, and the mug tom sent me with the tsptalk golf balls. i don't use it on the course i have a flask for that but i took it along today for a group photo. 4th green, hillcrest municipal course, jamestown north dakota (75 degrees today, a heat wave). these were taken when i was just ticked off, but before i got really really ticked off.

burrocrat
05-30-2016, 08:18 AM
the more i look at that second picture the more i am reminded of just how magic of a metal silver is. it bends the light. i did not see that through the camera when i took the shot and in real life it happens so fast you only catch a flash out of the corner of your eye. but look at it, those rays of light are not on the ground or touching any objects, they are in a different dimension. it is like it has opened a vortex, a connection to something else, but you can't see it until you pass through. whatever you do, do not repeat do not voluntarily pass through that vortex, you may not find your way back. the grass and the cup and the mug and hat and the ball and even the silver are real. but that doorway is not, it is a flash in time. be very careful around doorways like that. whooompf, it makes the hair stand up on my arms.

we need to get more silver. it is like liquid magic, only it holds a rigid form in your pocket.

burrocrat
05-30-2016, 08:40 AM
oh what a perfect day for another round of golf! i am not going golfing today. i hate golf today.

i had planned a short road trip to a different course today, but i am content to embarrass myself on just my regular course for now, one is enough. i am still sore from all the activity yesterday, and i think it is best to just keep my cuss words local and not export them to the whole region, yet. i might go hit a bucket of balls at the range and show that damn driver who is boss though, stupid driver.

FogSailing
05-30-2016, 08:46 AM
And here I thought all the good vortexes were in Sedona :D:D:D

Just FYI: I lost a bunch of golf balls last week to water and deceptive landscape.. I feel your pain.

FS

burrocrat
05-30-2016, 09:03 AM
And here I thought all the good vortexes were in Sedona :D:D:D

Just FYI: I lost a bunch of golf balls last week to water and deceptive landscape.. I feel your pain.

FS

flagstaff is a magic place too. very close to a major cosmic vortex, sedona is a local hotspot where it gathers. the four mountains, the peaks. ancient pathway. the hopi know something, they might be right.

my favorite way to get to flagstaff is through zion canyon, over to kanab and page, then down through the kiabab and the rez. big country out there. as luck would have it, if you follow that road you end up back in las vegas. a fun and enlightening trip from glitz to extreme austerity through spirituality and back to glitz. take at least a week to do it right, slow down. you can find things out there. maybe even find yourself.

there are vortexes everywhere. watch out for them, they can pull you in, like a waterfall, you can spot them by when they flash.

burrocrat
05-30-2016, 09:17 AM
that is a magic circle, vegas-st george-zion-kanab-page-flagstaff-kingman-vegas. i grew up on the north side of that circle, that is my first 'hood. i cut my teeth there, pounded drums and ran naked in that forest, know backroads that lead to some very empty places, felt my first titties there, saw god at least i think it was god, all the normal things normal folks do.

they have some stunning courses down there. that is a road trip i have not done in a long while. when i do again i will let you know. we could shoot a round.

FogSailing
05-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Sounds great Burro. I look forward to it. We're visiting the 4 Corners on the way to our mid-west adventure so I'll catch some of that wonder along the way.

All the best!

FS

alevin
05-30-2016, 11:00 AM
My college roommate from many moons and decades ago, has just decided spontaneously to relocate from the black hills to Sedona. My mom, landscape artist, has painted Sedona surrounds. I may eventually experience Sedona, now that my longago roommate and spouse have relocated down there-they did so as of this week-literally. glad I visited them last fall in their black hills custom home they built with their own 2 hands, only chance I ever got to see it after they'd finished building it. Already sold. Last I'd seen it previous when they were building, it had foundation and basement dug only. I'm guessing their next new home and location will be equally enjoyable to visit, whenever I get there.

FogSailing
05-30-2016, 05:31 PM
You'll love Sedona when you do visit Alevin. It's one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Expensive as all get out but beautiful..

FS

burrocrat
05-30-2016, 06:26 PM
vortexes are not windows, vortices are doors, doors are transporters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX3uHkNF6KA

tsptalk
05-30-2016, 10:55 PM
I played the Moab, UT course this weekend. Very scenic course. The course wasn't as tough as the ones in Mesquite, UT - not much water and few sand traps, but you had to keep in the fairway or it was gone.

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/053016a.gif

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/053016b.gif

burrocrat
05-30-2016, 11:10 PM
that is a pretty, big, sky.

FogSailing
05-31-2016, 06:47 AM
Looks beautiful Tom! Hope you played well..

FS

burrocrat
06-03-2016, 07:35 AM
the ups magic package stalker app says my new callaway xr 5-iron is in town and out for delivery so i should get it today. that is good it is arriving today because after my last round of golf, if it had arrived anytime between last sunday and yesterday i would've just wrapped the stupid club around a tree. but i'm feeling much better now.

burrocrat
06-04-2016, 06:29 PM
i got my new xr 5-iron as expected yesterday and damn is she pretty. so smooth, nice little cavity in the back, two piece trampoline magic sweet spot on the front, a couple of small details that match with my second-run callaway clubs, a natural.

wooo hooo! now i have a 5-iron! no more of those stupid hybrids and no more trying to stretch a 6-iron. just hit my 3 wood off the tees and keep my head down, 5 iron for the follow up shots, maybe chip with a wedge when i get close, and that stupid putter that always take at least 3 shots to find the goldam cup.

i feel like a groom on the eve before my wedding day, i can't even look at her, just gonna use it tomorrow.

burrocrat
06-05-2016, 03:37 PM
the thing i hate most about rich stuckup golfers who play titliest pro v1x balls is they are so damn self-absorbed. so today in the rough looking for my missed shot i find this pro v1x, the dream of all found balls, but some ahole has written his initials on it with a sharpie! now for crap's sakes, if you are just going to leave a perfectly good ball laying around why ruin it for the next guy by marking it with your stupid initials? pffffft. i tossed that sucker deep in the cattails, good luck finding it now, jerkwad.

also i like my new xr 5 iron, but me and it are going to have to sit down and have a serious talk.

tsptalk
06-05-2016, 06:07 PM
the thing i hate most about rich stuckup golfers who play titliest pro v1x balls is...

Join the club. This link may only be good today, not sure...

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/titleist-prov1x-golf-balls-12-pack-1?ref=eml_so_bs_2_img&utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=2a118680a4-Daily+Digest+-+20160605+-+Sellout.Woot&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5ca76da11-2a118680a4-284494938#tracked

FogSailing
06-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Those look great! And a super price for Pro V's (even if only slightly used). I love them but they are spendy!

FS

FogSailing
06-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Burro: Remember to talk nicely...They have memories like elephants...:D:D:D

FS

burrocrat
06-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Burro: Remember to talk nicely...They have memories like elephants...:D:D:D

FS

i am not very good at talking nicely on the course.

my son looks around sometimes to make sure nobody on the next hole can hear me.

we have good laughs, eventually i hope we have good shots.

burrocrat
06-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Join the club. This link may only be good today, not sure...

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/titleist-prov1x-golf-balls-12-pack-1?ref=eml_so_bs_2_img&utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=2a118680a4-Daily+Digest+-+20160605+-+Sellout.Woot&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5ca76da11-2a118680a4-284494938#tracked

i like the idea of better balls but i have hangup with paying for used ones, even if they are basically in new condition. i still have a couple of sleeves of the $1 pinnacles i bought, and only burned through one sleeve of the callaway warbirds at $1.35. i don't think any ball is going to help me at this point until i can get more consistent shots with my clubs. i don't think any clubs would help either. this is going to be a long journey i can tell.

so for now i have been 'recycling' free balls that we find wherever on the course. and the club lets youth pick three from a basket each paid round. i am convinced that all of these balls in the free basket come from the driving range when they pick up the yellow range balls with their rake/tractor thingy. the range is immediately to the right of the first tee and i know i have put two out there myself for sure. somebody must be 'highgrading' the titliest ones though because there are not any of them in the basket very often.

burrocrat
06-05-2016, 11:07 PM
i like buying golf stuff and i have been thinking of getting my own burro balls printed up. but i am not sure because i don't have an official logo or business copyright or anything. i was thinking maybe a donkey with a golf club but i'm not sure where to put the club and i am not a very good drawer with the art stuff.

i wonder tom, was the minimum order 50 sleeves (150 balls)? did you have to have a business license or registered logo or anything? about how much was the cost per ball when it was all said and done? were there choices of all different brands or was that a topflite/wilson site only?

on a side note, i am taking logo suggestions in case i ever want to get my own balls. that would be way classier than writing on pro vx1's with a sharpie. i'll show them.

tsptalk
06-06-2016, 12:22 AM
i wonder tom, was the minimum order 50 sleeves (150 balls)? did you have to have a business license or registered logo or anything? about how much was the cost per ball when it was all said and done? were there choices of all different brands or was that a topflite/wilson site only?

https://www.discountmugs.com/category/golf-balls/

tsptalk
06-13-2016, 10:09 AM
U.S. Open Pool starting...

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/site-news-and-announcements/25357-u-s-open-golf-pool.html

WorkFE
06-13-2016, 10:36 AM
but me and it are going to have to sit down and have a serious talk.

Hey Burro,
What course were you playing? I found an xr 5 iron in some cat tails laying next to a Titleist pro v1x. :D

burrocrat
06-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Hey Burro,
What course were you playing? I found an xr 5 iron in some cat tails laying next to a Titleist pro v1x. :D

not that one, but that would've saved me about $100.

instead i just invented some new cusswords.

the bigger question here i think though is, what were you doing in the cat tails?

burrocrat
06-13-2016, 08:54 PM
U.S. Open Pool starting...

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/site-news-and-announcements/25357-u-s-open-golf-pool.html

ok, i went for jordan spieth in the water - twice - on twelve, for the win alex.

FogSailing
06-14-2016, 08:11 AM
I tried to create a new account but it said I already had one. So I had the site send me ID and password. When I logged in it showed the Football accounts but no Golf account and wouldn't let me sign up for the Golf. get in. So looks like I'll miss this one. Shucks.

FS

tsptalk
06-14-2016, 08:59 AM
I'll see what's up, FS. This golf contest is set up on their site to be a cumulative contest rather than individual tournament, and that must be the problem. I ask how we can add new members to this one.

I do see where I can add a member so worst case, I'll have to set it up for you and give you a temporary PW. I'll let you know.

jpcavin
06-14-2016, 09:03 AM
I tried to create a new account but it said I already had one. So I had the site send me ID and password. When I logged in it showed the Football accounts but no Golf account and wouldn't let me sign up for the Golf. get in. So looks like I'll miss this one. Shucks.

FS

FS, you have to register for the golf competition using tsptalk provided password. THEN you log in using your regular ID and password. You should be able to see the new contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FogSailing
06-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Thanks JP. Tom helped me get everything squared away. All my picks are in.

Tomorrow morning I'm playing 18 holes at Coyote Lakes. I'm bringing along an extra 5 iron because there are so many packs of coyotes out there and we tee off at 6:30am. I'm not sure my eyes will even be open at that time. I hope Shield maiden finds it in her heart to get the coffee going at 5:30am and brings me a double shot. She sometimes does that when I whine a lot. Can't believe I signed up for this regimen. I must be nuts. Haven't swung a club in 3 weeks with the kids wedding and all. And I'm 5 pounds heavier because of all the good food I've consumed during the Vegas venue last week. Just hope I can stay close to 100 in score and not be cornered by a pack of rabid coyotes. The only thing scarier might be swimming with the sharks at the TSP Poker table..:D:D:D

FS

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 05:27 PM
you'll be fine, just pretend you are erin nordegren and jiggle your boobs to distract them then bash them in the face with your nine iron, go all tiger woods on them.

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:09 PM
i like buying golf stuff and i have been thinking of getting my own burro balls printed up. but i am not sure because i don't have an official logo or business copyright or anything. i was thinking maybe a donkey with a golf club but i'm not sure where to put the club and i am not a very good drawer with the art stuff.

on a side note, i am taking logo suggestions in case i ever want to get my own balls. that would be way classier than writing on pro vx1's with a sharpie. i'll show them.

so i have started to narrow down what my custom burro logo golf balls that i am going to get made up might look like. and i'm working on on a motto too. please let me know what you think.

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:11 PM

i can't think of a motto, but if i was from texas i would probably pick this one.

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:13 PM

"who's your pedro?" - or - "back nine"

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:16 PM

"ball halla"

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:17 PM

"get your balls wet"

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:19 PM

no motto for this one yet, either.

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:20 PM
this is my favorite so far...

"play with my balls"

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:21 PM
oh man i am sooo glad al gore invented the internet.

jpcavin
06-14-2016, 06:37 PM

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 06:40 PM
i don't really like the 'blue balls' thing...

they never get played with, the hole point of having your own balls is playing with them.

tsptalk
06-14-2016, 08:44 PM
You could tie in your burro, poker, and golf... Stupahdahs

jpcavin
06-14-2016, 08:50 PM
You could tie in your burro, poker, and golf... Stupahdahs

Like this?

burrocrat
06-14-2016, 08:59 PM
naah, i think i might just quit golf and join the army, i heard they have this pretty cool leader, major sideboob.

jpcavin
06-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Reminds me of El Chapo

jpcavin
06-14-2016, 09:19 PM

jpcavin
06-14-2016, 09:20 PM

TSP-roulette
06-15-2016, 11:50 AM

"get your balls wet"

Here you go, you gonna need a caddie, a real caddie to handle your bag, clean your balls and clubs and give you the best strategy in playing it. Golf, great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bERHxdO2W0

FogSailing
06-15-2016, 09:51 PM
Best be careful here. Those girls will show up, take all your credit card info, placate you into playing "AROUND", then tease into looking for your lost golf ball out in the desert (where the coyote packs roam), where they steal your money and leave you without your boots with only a 5 iron to defend yourself. Scottsdale is a tough neighborhood.

FS

burrocrat
06-15-2016, 10:14 PM
naah, i'm not worried, my ex does not live in scottsdale. pretty sure i could teach them gals a thing or two.

TSP-roulette
06-15-2016, 11:30 PM
No doubt, I'm sure you'd be teaching them ladies a thing or two about a thing or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMo00YYcVEQ

TSP-roulette
06-18-2016, 11:11 PM
The golf chat suddenly stopped. Here's some incentive to pump you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuJcCukvXqs

burrocrat
06-19-2016, 08:13 PM
so sheet, what does a guy have to do to win a goldang golf tournament? i had two guys in the top ten and still got waxed?

also, since it is game 7 of the nba finals, how come whenever i watch these bullcrap rigged fouls and dropped 3 bombs games, why does i always think "that's right biatch, suck on this"?

burrocrat
06-19-2016, 08:49 PM
the nba is rigged.

burrocrat
06-19-2016, 09:27 PM
yep, the nba is rigged. 3 minutes to go and it will take 20 minutes of earth time. and cleveland wins by 3 points. it is already written. thanks for paying to see the circus you suckers.

burrocrat
06-19-2016, 09:36 PM
yep. funny how you down and need medical attention then all the sudden you alright. frikkin money show.

burrocrat
06-19-2016, 09:38 PM
woohooo, best thing about that is it will be 2068 before cleveland wins another one. 52 years don't hardly seem like that long at all.

konakathy
06-20-2016, 12:03 AM
LOL! My view from my lanai overlooks the 18th hole and it is always amusing to watch some of the golfers try and make the shot over the pond. Most do but a lot don't. I can hear cussing some times and loud laughter and cheers most other. Tonight, these three stooges were the last to close up the course. Two of them lost a total of 5 balls in the pond. They were definitely beginners, but could care less....they were laughing and having fun. Just like it should be.

burrocrat
06-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Johnson saves USGA from embarrassment (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/johnson-saves-usga-from-embarrassment/ar-AAhjhEf?ocid=spartanntp)

And so it went for the next two hours as Johnson and all the golfers who were chasing him were off and running on one of the strangest finishes in U.S. Open history. A sport that is respected and loved because it’s instantly definitive had devolved into a combination of questions and finger-pointing – turning golf into a hybrid of the goofiest attributes of figure skating, professional wrestling and old-school boxing.

in case you aren't aware, the winner had hours earlier asked for a rule judgment because the ball moved before he touched it. and then later got penalized because of gravity, yep gravity on a hard hot course full of silly happenings like that. i watched i forget who it was but he chipped up on the green about 40 feet and then the gol dang cork soaking mumu forking ball rolled right back down the hill to his feet.

so who cares about that? hell, if nobody was watching i would've just picked my ball up and pretended i putted out with good fist pump or two. anyways, trophies don't mean crap, i mean look at his wife! hell he gets to go home with paulina gretzky at night! did you see her walking that catwalk to the clubhouse and up the stairs at the end? she had to keep pulling down that skin tight skirt to cover her, uhh, asset. honey if you got hips like that don't be shy about it. stupid trophy, stupid game, silly rules. paulina gretzky! get your priorities straight!

FogSailing
06-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Beautiful view KK. I lose a lot of golf in spots like that. I would probably be one of those saying unmentionables under my breath..:D:D:D

FS

burrocrat
07-03-2016, 07:49 PM
have you guys seen this popup add? i hardly ever click on popup adds, only like 2 or 3 times a week is all.

all you have to do is tell them you are 6' tall and your 150 yard club is a six iron. then they will make and send you a custom club. i am actually getting two, a wedge and a hybrid. it only takes 6 weeks. that is how long it takes to translate the order into chinese and get it shipped over on a slow boat i guess. for only $35 bucks s&h. sweet. and i don't even need more clubs! i had to give them my credit card info, but i'm pretty sure they got it already anyways, no big deal.

tsptalk
07-03-2016, 08:17 PM
let us know how it goes.

burrocrat
07-03-2016, 08:55 PM
me and the expensive 5 iron are getting along better, at least at the driving range.

we have a tee time tomorrow so we will see about how it goes on the course.

jpcavin
09-14-2016, 07:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E73RM9gS7bU

tsptalk
09-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Another good movie scene - golf related...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KFiMT3MIs

Buster
09-14-2016, 08:07 PM
me and the expensive 5 iron are getting along better, at least at the driving range.

we have a tee time tomorrow so we will see about how it goes on the course.I can see now that your priorities are all ass-backwards...You could have just as easily went to a pawn shop and got a second or third hand 5 iron that would make you no less better at golf and you would of been that much closer to owning that belt...Just saying

Trying to help you out Bro..:stups:

burrocrat
09-14-2016, 08:18 PM
I can see now that your priorities are all ass-backwards...You could have just as easily went to a pawn shop and got a second or third hand 5 iron that would make you no less better at golf and you would of been that much closer to owning that belt...Just saying

Trying to help you out Bro..:stups:

yeah, my bad. i was going to spend it on a watch, but then i thought about it some more?

seriously?

to each their own.

Buster
09-14-2016, 08:23 PM
yeah, my bad. i was going to spend it on a watch, but then i thought about it some more?

seriously?

to each their own.No, Seriously? a watch?....totally irrelevant:slap:

jpcavin
09-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Maybe the price was wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJiAK-s5a0

Buster
11-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Nice Shot.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIru3-ZB3Mb/

Frixxxx
11-22-2016, 02:16 PM