PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

yeskevin
01-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I came across this site a few days ago and have been poking around a bit. I am thankful for it's creation. I finally found some kindred spirits. Unfortunately, the majority of my co-workers, merely take what they are given and don't take chances. This is most evident in their 401k investing. I am amazed at the percentage of people in my agency who invest solely in G their whole career. I thought I was a bit of a slinger with my funds. However, looking at some of the trades made by posters, I am somewhat conservative. If you can always be concentrated in the best performing fund, who needs diversification? Over time, how realistic is that? I notice many are heavily overweighed in I. Are they chasing what is up the most? If yes, at what point is out-performance significant enough to warrant loading up on particular fund? Likewise, when is under-performance significant enough to sell a fund? For instance, since I is on the radar, historically it has lagged S and C. If it begins to revert back to historic norms, when does one "give up on it"? Over the years I have found I am just not that omnipotent. Likewise, as my balance has grown, I find it more difficult to reallocate large percentages at once. Therefore, for the most part, I create a diversified portfolio for a portion of my portfolio, and then trade around the edges. As investors I think we can sometimes be our own worse enemy. Limiting my play money kept me from shooting myself in the foot a few times. To those who have been able to consistantly beat "buy and hold" it would be helpful to discuss methodology in more detail. Looking forward to being a part of this site....

tsptalk
01-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Welcome yeskevin!

I am sure we will all have different answers to your questions. That's what makes this board so great - So many ideas and strategies. Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Thanks for joining us!
Tom

fabijo
10-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Welcome, yeskevin.

EW_ret
10-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.