PDA

View Full Version : Best Handgun(s)

ATCJeff
12-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Buying a handgun for personal protection at home and conceal carry. What are my best options? Would be nice if home protection would work for both me and my wife (tiny hands).

Thanks,

Jeff

sillbeer
12-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Sig P290RS

Minnow
12-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Sig P290RS

Good gun.

If you like revolvers (don't underestimate their simplicity), lady smith and wesson in .357 or .38 is a surprisingly good gun (you can even get pink grips for your wife :laugh: and for when you "carry.")

RealMoneyIssues
12-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Buying a handgun for personal protection at home and conceal carry. What are my best options? Would be nice if home protection would work for both me and my wife (tiny hands).

Thanks,

Jeff

I like the Springfield XD models because of their safety features. The XDS-9 is a good small weapon with a single stack 9mm magazine. Small for small hands and concealment, yet not so small you won't feel comfortable shooting.

Frixxxx
12-04-2015, 02:42 PM
For your "tiny" handed wife - I recommend the Taurus Slim....Even though I do not suffer from that affliction, I loved the accuracy and price.

tsptalk
12-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Colt made a 380 called Sigma (http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/smith-wesson-sigma-sw380m) a while back. It was small and may not have the stopping power of the larger hand guns, but in a pinch and for concealment, it does the trick. I'm not sure if it's still being made.

The SP101 (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/02/robert-farago/question-of-the-day-is-the-ruger-sp101-3-the-perfect-beginners-gun/) by Ruger is also a nice concealer if you prefer revolvers.

Lakebound
12-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Thanks,

Jeff

Instead of naming guns, calibers and offering advice along that line, as a person who has carried a gun daily I offer this: Both you and your wife should visit a local gun range that offers hand gun rentals. Perhaps introduce yourselves as novice shooters and get a feel for what you both like separately and together. Many times, most times should I say, what works for husband won't work for wife.

In my 31 years of marriage and 22 years in Law Enforcement I know one thing to be true: Husbands and boyfriends tend to make for lousy firearm instructors and golf mentors.

Good luck and have fun, do your research and make a wise and informed decision. The best gun for home defense is the one that you have with you and the one that you are most confident in.

Frank

James48843
12-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Colt 1911A1. (Any manufacturer of a true U.S. Property 1911A1 will work. Remington Rand, Ithica, US&S or Colt. )

End of discussion.

pmaloney
12-04-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm looking at 22 LR semi automatic handguns and a similar gauge MP5 long rifle for the home.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

nnuut
12-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Colt 1911A1. (Any manufacturer of a true U.S. Property 1911A1 will work. Remington Rand, Ithica, US&S or Colt. )

End of discussion.

You are Hippocratic, preaching against guns and promoting GUN CONTROL in one thread and admitting and proud to be a gun owner in another. How can you think both ways?

Should read "you are a hypocrite" BUSTED BY THE SPELLING POLICE AGAIN!:laugh:

James48843
12-04-2015, 10:00 PM
You are Hippocratic, preaching against guns and promoting GUN CONTROL in one thread and admitting and proud to be a gun owner in another. How can you think both ways?

Why, thank you for calling me a Hippocratic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath). I feel honored.

How can i support gun control AND responsible firearm ownership?

I can, as you put it, "think both ways" because they are not mutually exclusive.
I previously have said that the best gun control is to use both hands, and concentrate on your breathing.

But then again, I think that there are MANY things we should consider when regulating firearms.

Those who say not everyone should be toting around a high-capacity AR-15.

You know what I would like to see? Graduated firearms purchase permits, based on your past history, training, experience, age, and community service.

You want to be a firearm owner?

Great.

Start at Age 18.
Training classes, testing, and permitting required.

Class of weapons permitted to own: Single Fire: Single shot shotguns (12, 20 or 410), and black powder muzzle loading rifles (36 to 50 cal). and .22 cal single-shot bolt or break action rifles.

More training, testing.
Age 21: *plus 2 years experience AND some type of community service such as military service; volunteer with an organization (CMP, VFW, AL, etc) .
Class of weapons permitted to own: Above, plus : Pump shotguns up to 4 rounds; pump rifles, tube or mag fed rifles of 5 rounds or less. Any caliber up to .40 cal.
Simple 6 shot or less revolvers or pistols with 7 in the magazine.

Age 25: More training, testing, and a * 2 more years experience (total 4 years) ( and more community or military service)
Add semi-auto rifles and handguns with less than 10 round capacity.

I would require Age 40 OR a combination of age plus years of military service, totally 40, : plus more training, testing to obtain an "unlimited permit", which would allow any semi-auto rifle or handgun, open or conceal carried.

And I would have a "Senior Marksman-Armed Militia Patriot" rating for those with 50 years of age AND ten years of experience, to have unlimited permit which would include all current "Class 3" devices, including machine guns - M16 to up to .50 cal Ma-Duce.

burrocrat
12-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Why, thank you for calling me a Hippocratic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath). I feel honored.

How can i support gun control AND responsible firearm ownership?

I can, as you put it, "think both ways" because they are not mutually exclusive.
I previously have said that the best gun control is to use both hands, and concentrate on your breathing.

But then again, I think that there are MANY things we should consider when regulating firearms.

Those who say not everyone should be toting around a high-capacity AR-15.

You know what I would like to see? Graduated firearms purchase permits, based on your past history, training, experience, age, and community service.

You want to be a firearm owner?

Great.

Start at Age 18.
Training classes, testing, and permitting required.

Class of weapons permitted to own: Single Fire: Single shot shotguns (12, 20 or 410), and black powder muzzle loading rifles (36 to 50 cal). and .22 cal single-shot bolt or break action rifles.

More training, testing.
Age 21: *plus 2 years experience AND some type of community service such as military service; volunteer with an organization (CMP, VFW, AL, etc) .
Class of weapons permitted to own: Above, plus : Pump shotguns up to 4 rounds; pump rifles, tube or mag fed rifles of 5 rounds or less. Any caliber up to .40 cal.
Simple 6 shot or less revolvers or pistols with 7 in the magazine.

Age 25: More training, testing, and a * 2 more years experience (total 4 years) ( and more community or military service)
Add semi-auto rifles and handguns with less than 10 round capacity.

I would require Age 40 OR a combination of age plus years of military service, totally 40, : plus more training, testing to obtain an "unlimited permit", which would allow any semi-auto rifle or handgun, open or conceal carried.

And I would have a "Senior Marksman-Armed Militia Patriot" rating for those with 50 years of age AND ten years of experience, to have unlimited permit which would include all current "Class 3" devices, including machine guns - M16 to up to .50 cal Ma-Duce.

what do you suggest for those who do not meet the proper criteria but possess guns outside their government approved classification? what is your recommended solution for that problem?

burrocrat
12-05-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm looking at 22 LR semi automatic handguns and a similar gauge MP5 long rifle for the home.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

do you have a persistent squirrel problem? there are quieter ways to get rid of rodents, but they aren't as much fun as a .22. in all seriousness, this is not a caliber that is effective for humans, in fact it would cruel and inhumane to shoot a mammal of any size larger than a cat with a .22, nuns can hit harder with a ruler.

k0nkuzh0n
12-05-2015, 02:59 PM
I'd recommend the i-Gun

warning: vulgar language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlzoL-wQwio

Valkyrie
12-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Home Defense?? shot gun always. Racking a chamber at night in the dark, per study of convicted criminals 12 out of 13 will run away after hearing it. they know what it can do, just like having a pitbull terrier in the house, criminals will avoid your house cause they know what it can and will do. handgun backup weapon. load a shotgun LIFO fashion last in first out. non lethal rounds first, then lethal. u gave then a chance.
studies show, millions of people every yr save their lives or someone else's from a perp just by showing a weapon and telling the perp to leave. A 27yr retired state trooper I know agreed with this 100%.
lever action 30/30 is always good, low cost, it will take down deer, perps no problem. remmington core-loc rounds.
some writers consider a lever action rifle the most politically correct rifle with great knock down power. they come in many calibers.

great book by former Green Beret Don Paul, he has some other excellent books also
Conquer Crime: How To Be Your Own Bodyguard: Don Paul: 9780938263241: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Conquer-Crime-How-Your-Bodyguard/dp/0938263242/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449513137&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=how+to+be+your+own+body+guard)

Lakebound
12-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Home Defense?? shot gun always. Racking a chamber at night in the dark, per study of convicted criminals 12 out of 13 will run away after hearing it. they know what it can do, just like having a pitbull terrier in the house, criminals will avoid your house cause they know what it can and will do. handgun backup weapon. load a shotgun LIFO fashion last in first out. non lethal rounds first, then lethal. u gave then a chance.
studies show, millions of people every yr save their lives or someone else's from a perp just by showing a weapon and telling the perp to leave. A 27yr retired state trooper I know agreed with this 100%.
lever action 30/30 is always good, low cost, it will take down deer, perps no problem. remmington core-loc rounds.
some writers consider a lever action rifle the most politically correct rifle with great knock down power. they come in many calibers.

great book by former Green Beret Don Paul, he has some other excellent books also
Conquer Crime: How To Be Your Own Bodyguard: Don Paul: 9780938263241: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Conquer-Crime-How-Your-Bodyguard/dp/0938263242/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449513137&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=how+to+be+your+own+body+guard)

As an LEO and an instructor, I hate to differ with you publicly. But the old myth of "racking" a shotgun to scare someone away is tactically unsound and a pretty stupid thing to do IMO. You give away your position and, if you already know that you have an intruder and are willing to use deadly force, your shot shell had already be chambered.

I'm not cocking guns, chambering rounds to scare someone off. They don't belong in my home and if they pose a threat to me, I am going to stop the threat. And that is direct from the mouth of a master shotgunner himself, Louis Awerbuck may he rest in peace. As a student of his methods, I couldn't disagree more this suggested tactic.

For the record, I do concur with your choice of the shotgun as a superior self defense weapon however, the OP asked about handguns.

Regards,

Frank

JTH
12-07-2015, 04:15 PM

Thanks,

Jeff

Concealed carry vs, home protection, what can be two vastly different categories, I consider it difficult to find 1 firearm which serves both purposes well, so I will give two answers.

Concealed carry: Revolvers are a better choice for someone who is not as proficient. Some folks can't rack the slide under pressure (you need two hands for that). If an attacker is advancing, you need one hand to buy you some time so the other hand can draw the gun. Under stress, if the gun jams, can the person clear the chamber, can they do it with the opposite hand? Some of the smaller semi-autos are prone to "limp wristing? which can cause a jam after the 1st round goes off. I also detest any self-defense firearm which has a safety, the less steps there are, the better the outcome. For this reason (no safety) I like a heavy double action trigger (not a sensitive single action trigger) JMHO.

Home protection: I like shotguns, because of the simplicity, durability, and variety of ammo. I like the choices of ammo, because at home I don't want to over-penetrate past the attacker. As an example, an AK47 is great in a zombie war, but at a short distance, a 7.62x39 bullet will go through your attacker (fail to expand) then go through the next house.

Whatever choice, it has to be something your wife isn't afraid to shoot, and she will be willing to carry it with her under all circumstances. Some folks get a heavy pistol, then look for reasons not to carry it. Best advise I have is to train on something heavy & smooth, then carry something light & convenient. What you don't want is someone who flinches because they know their pistol is going to beat the crap out of them. For this reason, some folks get the .357 magnum, but train with the .38 bullets.

Valkyrie
12-07-2015, 04:19 PM
As an LEO and an instructor, I hate to differ with you publicly. But the old myth of "racking" a shotgun to scare someone away is tactically unsound and a pretty stupid thing to do IMO. You give away your position and, if you already know that you have an intruder and are willing to use deadly force, your shot shell had already be chambered.

I'm not cocking guns, chambering rounds to scare someone off. They don't belong in my home and if they pose a threat to me, I am going to stop the threat. And that is direct from the mouth of a master shotgunner himself, Louis Awerbuck may he rest in peace. As a student of his methods, I couldn't disagree more this suggested tactic.

For the record, I do concur with your choice of the shotgun as a superior self defense weapon however, the OP asked about handguns.

Regards,

Frank

understand have read both sides over the
yrs. it comes down to this, does one want them to leave the premises or does ones want to kill and/or wound them and have to go through all of the legal BS, some states are worst than others. wounded, then one might have to deal with the perp suing and getting large $$$. As a LEO, and thank you for your service, I'm sure u have heard of or know of the horrors people have gone through and esp ones who cannot deal with the aftermath of taking a life.
at night I would think they already know one's position is in the bedroom. remember we are talking about everyday untrained civilians who really don't know much about tactical positions. I think there is merit to both tactics.

OBXTrader
12-07-2015, 07:34 PM
At home, a shotgun.

Concealed carry? Concealed carry is no joke. Why are you carrying? Against what potential threats? Too many variables to give a valuable answer for a female and a male. Summer or winter? Clothing? Understanding the battery of a semi-automatic is critical and should be practiced regularly. If you can't practice regularly, buy a no-hammer Ruger or S&W revolver and pull the trigger and it goes bang. If you are not confident you can clear a malfunction or reload a semi-automatic pistol while someone is shooting at you, buy a revolver. Five shots are better than none. Practice, practice, practice, a bullet can't be recalled.

Thanks,

Jeff

Valkyrie
12-08-2015, 09:48 AM
case in point
Masked Gunman Shot Dead During Home Invasion In Lawncrest « CBS Philly (http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/12/08/suspect-shot-dead-during-home-invasion-in-lawncrest/)

so the home owner kills the armed intruder, but now read the last sentence,

"Authorities believe that some drugs and money found in the basement of the home may have been the target of the robbery."

now the homeowner will face charges for drug procession maybe more and then the possibility losing his home, bank account to the drooling drug enforcement cops who say the money and drugs are drug dealer related, etc., etc.

if the intruder wasn't shot dead, injured with from a non-lethal round, kept there until police arrived, or the intruder just left, would the cops still search the whole house and find the drugs, I think not, unless the owner is stupid and let them without a warrant. dead guy after shooting gives cops right to search house, I believe, but I could be wrong on that.

Discuss??

Buster
12-21-2015, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vt7FDTpzGvo?rel=0

nnuut
12-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Good one Buster, what's up?:D