PDA

View Full Version : Just Wanted to Introduce Myself

Neophyte
12-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Hi there.

I thought I should say hello since I just registered. I've been in the Navy now for nearly 15 years, and am stationed on the USS Enterprise (2nd tour). I'm a Nuclear Electronics Technician and am due to deploy in 2006.
I've been pouring money into TSP as fast as a could over the last few years (2001) and was actually able to max out in 2003, 2004, and 2005. So far I can't argue with the results. In the last 2 years i've seen my TSP grow from $28,000 to ~$64,000 (including ~$10,000 of value growth in the same period).
I really don't alter my distributions more than a few times each year. Basically, once I found a distribution mix that was an acceptable level of risk for me I stepped back for a while to watch economic trends before I do anything drastic, foolish, or both.

Current Investment Distribution: F - 4%, C- 24%, S- 39%, I- 32%
Current Contribution Distribution: C- 20%, S- 40%, I- 40%

- So far i've had this mix (or variations) for the past 2 years or so. It's probably a bit too aggressive, but I figure I need to accept as much risk as I can while i'm still (relatively) young and single.

Show-me
12-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Well done! Risk = reward! I'm playing catch up also.

Neophyte
12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
No kidding! I didn't start saving for retirement until i was almost 31. The way i look at it, TSP's higher contribution limit (compared to my Roth or a hypothetical conventional IRA) allows me to effectively 'back-date the start of the compound interest curve.

Nothing like trying to race myself back through time......

tsptalk
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Welcome Neophyte! Thanks for joining us and good luck to you!

Tom