PDA

View Full Version : movie reviews

burrocrat
11-11-2015, 04:13 PM
have you seen a movie lately? tell us all about it (except for don't spoil the ending or nothing).

burrocrat
11-11-2015, 04:19 PM
i got transferred recently to a town that has a mall and a multi-screen movie theatre. prior to that i have not seen a current movie in a theatre in 5 or 6 years and those were cartoon type movies anyways. now i have seen 3 movies in the last 6 months and it is my new hobby.

last night i saw spectre, the new james' bond movie. it was cool, the modern special effects and action these days just blows me away and a good but predictable story. it even had an evil bad guy with a massive remote high tech lair and a hot chick in a sheer dress. it wasn't anything special but a good movie anyways. the opening 'dancing girl' scenes were a little uncomfortable sitting next to my almost teenage son, but he sure did pay attention. rite of passage i guess. i hope that was computer animation because it would creep me out if i was a girl and an octopus crawled all over my boobage at strategic camera angles and timing. how do you train an octopus to do that anyways?

userque
11-11-2015, 04:30 PM
how do you train an octopus to do that anyways?

Octopuses are very intelligent. He probably didn't need much training. :)

FogSailing
11-11-2015, 04:31 PM
I went to see "The Martian". Absolutely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It had some great characters, an excellent story, good humor, lots of suspense, and a great ending. Strongly recommended.

FS

userque
11-11-2015, 04:38 PM
I went to see "The Martian". Absolutely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It had some great characters, an excellent story, good humor, lots of suspense, and a great ending. Strongly recommended.

FS

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

burrocrat
11-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Octopuses are very intelligent. He probably didn't need much training. :)

burrocrat
11-11-2015, 04:57 PM

FS

i'll second that.

awesome movie, wholesome and inspiring entertainment from start to finish. definately one of my favorite movies of my adult life. i liked the resolve he showed when faced with setbacks, and the twisted humor to deal with a tough situation. on the drive home my kid said "dad, i want to be a scientist". way cool, winner!

userque
11-11-2015, 04:57 PM

Yeah, I looked it up too. There are three spellings of the plural of octopus. I wanted to use octopi (I like the way it sounds), but it was the least accepted...actually objectionable, I read. :)

burrocrat
11-11-2015, 05:51 PM
the only other movie i saw in several years was jurassic world earlier this summer. whoa! it looked so real! when the dolby surround sound blurb came on at the start i was looking over my shoulder to see who was saying that behind me. we sat in like the fourth row and i lasted not even 5 minutes, way too in your face that close. we moved up about 2/3 of the way back and it was more tolerable then but i was still jumping in my seat at the exciting parts. during motorcycle shotgun scene i leaned over to my kid and said 'that guy is a badass!' then not a minute later one of the characters in the movie said exactly the same thing. man, they really pulled you in on that one. my heart was thumping for hours after that show, i had to take a hot bath and a few beers before i could relax enough to go to sleep. that was a good movie too, better than spectre.

burrocrat
11-11-2015, 05:59 PM
next we are going to see hunger games mockingjay 2, i loved the books and the movies were good too. nothing near as pivotal as the matrix series which is my all time best ever movie, but i like those kind of stories. also, i have a huge crush on katniss, huge. and it fits nicely with my healthy disrespect for authority.

burrocrat
11-11-2015, 06:11 PM
the only other movie i plan on seeing soon is the new star wars of course. the original was a watershed moment in my young life. off the charts, there was nothing like it before, it made me learn how to dream.

the tickets are already sold out for the opener here weeks in advance which is a shame, because i hardly ever get to wear my wookie costume anymore except on halloween. but i make up for it by dressing like hans solo the rest of the year. da dah, da da da dah da, da da da dah da, da da da dah. may the force be with you. and carrie fisher ain't half bad neither. she was my make believe girlfriend for a looonngg time, way before internet dating was invented. i have had a thing for braids ever since, but i have never been able to convince anyone to wear a gold slave girl bikini. i'm still working on that part.

TSP-roulette
11-11-2015, 08:04 PM
wrong link attachment

TSP-roulette
11-11-2015, 08:11 PM
OOoops forgot to crop picture. Maybe this one is better.

k0nkuzh0n
11-12-2015, 08:30 AM
I saw The Martian and thought it was pretty good, definitely recommend it, but I certainly wouldn't say it was the best I've seen in a long time. IMO the main reason why people liked it so much is that it wasn't what people were expecting. When I first saw the previews I thought "Didn't this already happen in part of Interstellar?". But for those who have seen it obviously know Matt Damon was in a completely different situation this time. And it was surprisingly comical.

Avengers 2 and Entourage were my 2 most anticipated movies by a long shot this year. LOVED the entourage TV series and we've waited a loooong time for the movie, and it didn't disappoint.

Anyone see the ALL DAY star wars marathon that AMC theaters is putting on on December 17th?
https://www.amctheatres.com/starwars

Warrenlm
11-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Go see Bridge Of Spies, especially if you can relate to being in East Berlin behind the Wall, Duck and Cover, and groupthink (in this case against a lawyer representing a spy). Something for everyone. :)

FogSailing
11-12-2015, 08:53 AM
If you're into action films with an interesting bi-line, go see Sicario. It's about a CIA type black ops group that has the job of being the aggressors and stirring things up in the Mexican drug cartels to move the bad guys out of their happy space. Interesting movie and well acted.

FS

burrocrat
02-25-2016, 10:29 PM
i continue to be blown away every time i go see a movie these days, the action scenes and cgi, the fast-moving story lines, they are making epic tales these days thoroughly entertaining.

we just saw deadpool, and it was funny as hell! it was actually a love story, except told with comic book super heroes and villians, strippers and gratuitous nudity, extremely inappropriate adult off color humor, disturbing violence and dystopian reality, and did i mention it was funny as hell?

it was a little awkward watching with my 13 year old son, but we are both boys and no strangers to non-nuclear family non-leave-it-to-beaver lives. we were going to see gods of egypt but i am really not into the whole dark side multiple evil gods mystical stuff because i just don't want to mess with demons, at least not the external kind. so he talked me into deadpool. i have never laughed so hard or enjoyed on screen boobs less, that part was awkward, so be careful if you take the kiddies to see this one. the ending credits with cartoon scenes was just as funny as the movie itself.

anyways, i would be dang surprised if anybody from tsptalk would admit to seeing this movie, i had no idea this deadpool character even existed, but apparently the kids know all about it from youtube or something.

enjoy.

Lindoug
02-26-2016, 07:32 AM
The last movie that I saw (at home, on my Amazon Fire Stick) was Concussion. I thought it was very good, really made me re-think my view of football, and the "pussification" of said game. The movie made me see the seriousness of it all.

burrocrat
04-02-2016, 10:38 PM
we went to see the new batman vs. superman movie. i would rate this one a bust. my kid sure enjoyed it though, he kept having to explain to me the references and storyline that apparently draws on past comic history or something, i didn't even know there was a recurring monster called doomsday. the story develops slow and is too intricate for my taste. the action scenes were ok but not blow your mind stuff and rather predictable. the ending sucked, i actually booed out loud, totally sucky ending.

i went mainly for the wonder woman character but she has a disappointingly small part, but damn she is good at it and one hot wonder woman for sure. not like the curvy linda carter but a smoking hot gal just the same. also there is a nice tub scene with lois lane where you get to see just enough of her nekked top curves to be extremely enticing but no nudity and or boing in your face poke your eyes out stuff.

some superhero crowds might like this movie, but for me it was a total bust.

burrocrat
08-06-2016, 10:33 PM
is anybody going to the movies this weekend?

my kid wants to see suicide squad he says you get to see margo whoever in a bra. i would rather see the action jason borne spy thriller show. i am not sure which one yet we will go to. probably not the comic book one because once he tricked me into seeing deadpool and that was a totally awkward experience. i dare any of you to watch deadpool in a barcolounger in a public theater with a 12 year old. let me know how that works out.

burrocrat
11-26-2016, 03:24 PM
key and peele, been spending some quality time with my dvr...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

you done messed up, eh aay ron!

so just exactly how do you spell "sh'ee thayd"?

Buster
11-26-2016, 05:34 PM
OOoops forgot to crop picture. Maybe this one is better.

35901And to think Carrie was only 19 years old in this S.W. film...:hmmm:

burrocrat
03-19-2017, 04:24 PM
this is one of the top five all time classics. right up there with star wars, the matrix, oh brother where art thou, and kalifornia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQhvoLNEqVI

(she gots goals)

burrocrat
03-19-2017, 04:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUbC8WBChng

correct answers do not require thinking, hesitation, or explanation.

DreamboatAnnie
03-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Definitely the correct answer. No doubt...

burrocrat
05-25-2017, 09:18 PM
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2 (http://io9.gizmodo.com/happy-40th-anniversary-star-wars-1795521253)

As of right now, Star Wars is officially 40 years old. Which is itself amazing in that I bet a lot of people are feeling very old right now. Equally amazing is just how many stories have been told in that universe in that time.

pivitol moment in a young boy's life, taught me to dream. also that is about the time i began to be attracted to girls with braids, really attracted.

Page not found – BrainFall (http://brainfall.com/quizzes/how-jedi-sith-are-you/#ryLBA-Hb)-

also you can google "jedi or sith quiz" and find out some things. this one says i am pretty balanced so it is a good one. the first two were bullcrap because they incorrectly called me darth vader and the biggest evil in the universe (it was the "bad driver" and "shoot first" answers i'm pretty sure).

burrocrat
05-25-2017, 09:29 PM
also the new wonder woman movie is coming soon, hottest wonder woman in the world with them cute perky's (sorry linda).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY

burrocrat
06-03-2017, 04:35 PM
OMG! you have to go see wonder woman! it is a great movie, way better than mars or jurassic whatever, ranks up there with star wars. don't be fooled though, yes there is a hot chick with super powers, i don't want to give it aways, but it's really a love story! i teared up at least four times. even my kid did at the end. we're walking out i ask him "what is that" he says "my contacts are bugging me, something is scratching my eye". uh huh.

TSP-roulette
06-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Wow!! Burro, your enthusiasm is contagious. The Wonder Woman's quite an a-kicker hey??? Trailers are great. It's like who needs Superman or Batman right?? they're wimps in the back seat now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPIzcu6jZPM

1965Vintage
06-04-2017, 01:30 PM
I just watched "Mastermind" on Netflix. Funniest movie I've seen in 20 years! :D

burrocrat
12-17-2017, 05:14 AM
star wars - the last jedi. go. see. this. movie!

epic internal battle with self, can power be managed and used for good or does power necessarily corrupt?

plus, rey is smokin hot!

RazorCat
12-17-2017, 06:26 AM
star wars - the last jedi. go. see. this. movie!

epic internal battle with self, can power be managed and used for good or does power necessarily corrupt?

plus, rey is smokin hot!
I’m working up to it by watching the Star Wars movies in chronological order. And Yes, she is. Watch that light sword.