PDA

View Full Version : Camping newbie, outdoors advice?

korekaza
10-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Afternoon guys,
I tried tent camping a few days ago on a mountain campground for a family reunion and really ended up liking it a lot. Everything from making tea over the fire to watching football on a satellite tv. I'm going to be giving it a shot again in another week and was wondering what your favorite things to bring along are and what items would you consider camping necessary? I have a cast iron grate that I put over the fire for the tea kettle and a skillet for making eggs. I have two LED lanterns that I'm not crazy about, they're too powerful to see anything with as funny as that sounds.

burrocrat
10-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Afternoon guys,
I tried tent camping a few days ago on a mountain campground for a family reunion and really ended up liking it a lot. Everything from making tea over the fire to watching football on a satellite tv. I'm going to be giving it a shot again in another week and was wondering what your favorite things to bring along are and what items would you consider camping necessary? I have a cast iron grate that I put over the fire for the tea kettle and a skillet for making eggs. I have two LED lanterns that I'm not crazy about, they're too powerful to see anything with as funny as that sounds.

always try to pitch your tent so that your head is upslope pointing north. this is very important for several reasons, most of them metaphysical.

Frixxxx
10-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Afternoon guys,
The type of camping you do determines the needs.
Watching TV and LED lanterns are a little much for me. I prefer to watch nature and fall asleep next to a fire slowly burning out......
One weekend:
1. Tent
2. Sleeping bag
3. 4 gallons of water (2 gallons each day for cooking, bathing, and drinking)
4. 4 MREs (high caloric and easy to carry)
5. Matches/lighter, 10 pieces of paper
6. Underpants (3 pair), jeans, extra shirt
7. 1 bag marshmallows
8. Graham crackers
9. Hershey bars

Put phone into "Off"icial position and have a relaxing weekend!

JTH
10-30-2015, 03:34 PM
I always take my first aid kit, extra water and my car kit (jumper cables ect.)

A Hammock is nice, I like to sleep outside as much as possible, nothing puts me to sleep better than mother nature.

For cooking, I either Bar-B-Q, or bring the burner that came with my Turkey fryer (I'll throw my big azz iron skillet on it, can make 18-inch pancakes with it) :)

nnuut
10-30-2015, 03:51 PM
BACON!
1st Aid Kit
Booze
mixer
Ice in a big cooler
Last but not least a 5 gallon bucket and plenty of Toilet Paper:laugh:

DreamboatAnnie
10-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Oh I love camping! Next to a river is best.
Check weather ahead of time
Dome tent
Padding to put under the bag
Towels
Goggles for viewing fish and rocks
Old tennis shoes
Cutoffs or swim gear
Float tubes
Ax
Good sharp knife
Guns and cell phone for emergencies
Folding light aluminum table
Comfy folding chairs with drink holders
Corn on cob with silk peeled back..add water and butter and rewrap with husks and in aluminum foil
Elgin sausage and all meat hot dogs and mustard/relish
Metal grate for cooking over fire
Skillet, cooking utensils
Cut up apples with sugar and cinnamon in a cast iron kettle with cover (cook over fire)
Both LED and old fashioned lantern for soft light
Soap
Hand shovel and toilet paper (if your way out there)
Matches and lighters
Water..lots
Beer, wine, fruit bagged drinks
Bacon, eggs, bread or tortillas
Marshmellows
Watermelon in its own cooler
Sunscreen
Your best ghost stories and jokes for fire-side chats!! :D

nnuut
10-30-2015, 07:21 PM
You've done this before!:D
How about if it rains, how will you cook?

burrocrat
10-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Next to a river is best.

Good sharp knife

Corn on cob with silk peeled back..add water and butter and rewrap with husks and in aluminum foil

Beer, wine, fruit bagged drinks

Bacon, eggs, bread or tortillas

yeah.

oh, yeah.

mmmmmm.

uh huh.

mmm, mmmm.

hey dba, want to go camping sometime?

JTH
10-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Oh I love camping! Next to a river is best.

Damm, easy to tell you're a Texas camper (I hit all the state parks, love the rivers)

There is absolutely nothing better then cold watermelon on a hot Texas day...

DreamboatAnnie
10-30-2015, 07:59 PM
You've done this before!:D
How about if it rains, how will you cook?
Well...that is where checking the weather comes in. Here in Texas must be aware of heavy rain...like Stevie Ray Vaughn says, It flooding in Texas!! No way can you stay next to a river in heavy rain.

A little Summer sprinkle is okay though... Just move the fire under a huge Cypress tree... They are tall and huge! Keep on swimming and drinking until the sprinkles go by. :D

Mathion
10-30-2015, 11:12 PM
Afternoon guys,

First post and its a camping thread, go figure :smile:

Hard to add more than what has been suggested, especially DreamboatAnnie's excellent list, but I've got a few.

I highly recommend as a bug repellant a lotion/soap/bath oil called skin so soft. Apparently they sell a bug repellant-branded version, but I grew up using the regular one before everyone knew about it and they turned this feature into a selling point (assuming that's how it went). I've read that this claim has been tested and found to be untrue, perhaps its just my magical aroma, but it works for me.

Then perhaps this, my wife's personal favorite, face and hand wipes. Good camping makes you dirty and prohibits showers, so cleaning up a bit is always welcome.

And I don't think I noticed anyone mention...friends :D

As for the LEDs, I get what you mean. Definetely bring one, but try to let your eyes do the work. They do an excellent job and its well worth it.

maui21ice
10-30-2015, 11:17 PM
I really wish I would have gotten a week of camping in this Summer or early Fall when it was nice, now I'm pretty sure I'll hold off until next year when it's a bit warmer out. I definitely focus on bottled water, items for starting fires, and possibly a weapon big enough to fend of a decent size bear or cougar. ;)

korekaza
11-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Thanks for your tips guys. I'm actually on the hunt for a good 4 person tent for 2 people. That weekend that I described above I used a Coleman Beach Shelter as the tent and it worked out great having the door open and the fire out near our feet, the temps had gone down to 38 degrees but it worked out just fine and was cozy in the sleeping bag. I guess I'm looking for something minimal in design but stronger enough to survive any kind of surprise downfall.

Scout333
11-02-2015, 05:35 PM
If you have a pickup truck the truck tents are cool. Off the ground, dry, comfortable, away from critters. My son had one and he loved it!

rktect1
11-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Buy an Airstream.

Thank me know.

rktect1
11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks for your tips guys. I'm actually on the hunt for a good 4 person tent for 2 people. That weekend that I described above I used a Coleman Beach Shelter as the tent and it worked out great having the door open and the fire out near our feet, the temps had gone down to 38 degrees but it worked out just fine and was cozy in the sleeping bag. I guess I'm looking for something minimal in design but stronger enough to survive any kind of surprise downfall.
Big Agnes. The only tent i love and i own four tents.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Tents

nnuut
11-02-2015, 07:13 PM
What happened to camping without all of the amenities? You are supposed to be ruffing it? Catch your own food, keep warm by the fire, drink your coffee black, wipe your butt with leaves, find your own water supply. If you want to be that controllable stay home.

Scout333
11-02-2015, 08:41 PM
What happened to camping without all of the amenities? You are supposed to be ruffing it? Catch your own food, keep warm by the fire, drink your coffee black, wipe your butt with leaves, find your own water supply. If you want to be that controllable stay home. What is this Naked and Afraid?:D

Frixxxx
11-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Annie,

You need to start a tour. I'd camp with you anywhere!

Great list!

FogSailing
11-03-2015, 10:03 AM
DBA....I like your list the best but then Nnutt did say BACON!!!!!!:D

FS

DreamboatAnnie
11-03-2015, 01:36 PM
DBA....I like your list the best but then Nnutt did say BACON!!!!!!:D

FS

Annie,

You need to start a tour. I'd camp with you anywhere!

Great list!

yeah.

oh, yeah.

mmmmmm.

uh huh.

mmm, mmmm.

hey dba, want to go camping sometime?To Burro, Frixx and FS ... Thank you for the nice compliments.... all I can say is what I always say, "The more the merrier!!!" :D ... I did say bacon, but I lumped it in with other goodies like eggs and toast or tortillas---but what I didn't say and should have said, was gotta bring 2lbs of bacon to feed everyone as much as they want plus....we all know bacon makes everything better! :laugh: Also, I was going to say "friends" but I just kinda figured everyone would already know that was a given... gotta have friends and family to drink your beer with and to listen to all your jokes and ghost stories or wacky stories .. right??? :laugh:

Here are some pics (off internet) of my favorite river, the Sabinal River near Utopia Texas. Love this place. Crystal clear spring water (no need to shower when you get out) and a limestone bottom. Shallow and deeper parts for swinging out on rope. I have a small piece of it (no building--flood area) just a few miles north of Utopia.

I have seen debris as high up as about the second set of branches on tall Cypress like those pictured... when it floods it really does flood and quickly. Definitely not a place you want to be during heavy rain.

WorkFE
11-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Travel trailer, don't leave home without it. I mean really, satellite TV, why stop there. :laugh:

FogSailing
11-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Looks like a great place to camp DBA. That water is crystal clear...Super!!

FS