PDA

View Full Version : Making Money in the F Fund

12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I have more experience with stocks than I do with bonds. I understand that the price of a bond moves the opposite of its yield. In the F Fund, do we make money when the yield is up or when the price of the bond is up?

Thnaks - Dell

Desperado
12-11-2006, 04:44 PM
I have more experience with stocks than I do with bonds. I understand that the price of a bond moves the opposite of its yield. In the F Fund, do we make money when the yield is up or when the price of the bond is up?

Thnaks - Dell

You make money in one of two ways. You either stay the course and earn the yield (if there is no change in interest rates) or you try to time it so you are in the fund when interest rates drop and the value of bonds goes up while avoiding those times when interest rates rise and the value of bonds goes down. Very difficult to do.

IMHO, no reason to be in the F fund at all when the G fund with its free lunch is available.

Spaf
12-11-2006, 04:58 PM
According to the leaders allocation, first money is in the I-fund, second money is in the F-fund................:blink:

350zCommTech
12-11-2006, 05:03 PM
You make money in one of two ways. You either stay the course and earn the yield (if there is no change in interest rates) or you try to time it so you are in the fund when interest rates drop and the value of bonds goes up while avoiding those times when interest rates rise and the value of bonds goes down. Very difficult to do.

IMHO, no reason to be in the F fund at all when the G fund with its free lunch is available.

You have got to be kidding me! Do you have something against people making money in their TSP? Moderators please stop this guy from posting false information.:mad:

mlk_man
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
WOW desperado, you're really searching aren't ya. This threads post was a year ago and you found it. Put that much effort into learning the market and I might actually start reading your other posts.........;)

FundSurfer
12-11-2006, 08:10 PM

Starting to sound like a timer.

Griffin
12-12-2006, 06:55 AM
You have got to be kidding me! Do you have something against people making money in their TSP? Moderators please stop this guy from posting false information.:mad:

350zCommTech,

What Desperado said here is not false, he is advocating a buy and hold (BAH) strategy as opposed to timing. Actually, I used to get the F-fund wrong more often then I got it right until Fundsurfer clued me in on the TNX, timing the F-fund is difficult.

We don't have a problem with people posting an opposing view, as long as it is done within the context of guidelines for this board. I personally, appreciate the opposing view and discussion as long as it is not rammed down my throat at every turn on every thread. I don't think I need to rehash that subject.

Often people will post observations that I think are wrong in my opinion - "my opinion" being the key word in that sentance. It is all part of the learning process and I am not going to whoop up on everybody who makes errors or says something I disagree with.

ChemEng
12-12-2006, 07:16 AM
I find it telling that all the BAH advocators never use the BAH or DCA forums...

SkyPilot
12-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Desperado,

If you feel the need to respond to an old post in the manner you have, I suggest that you use a PM instead of a forum.

That is, unless you are more interested in taking a position and publicity...

We will continue to educate you on how to function in this context as long as you demonstrate your need. This is a self correcting community, and the more resistant you are to admonishment, the more stringent the response.

Griffin
12-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Agreed, "telling" is a good way to put it - this board makes me money.....I have to wonder where the BAH motivation comes from.

I find it telling that all the BAH advocators never use the BAH or DCA forums...

ATCJeff
12-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Anybody got any idea how high bonds can go. The F fund is on a tear since July. Plus I just don't see a recession coming this spring.

robo
12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Anybody got any idea how high bonds can go. The F fund is on a tear since July. Plus I just don't see a recession coming this spring.

Jeff,

I agree with you. The data is indicating things are looking up and probably no recession.

Maybe the economy is stronger than the Bond Market first thought. Which means no rate cuts and the run on Bonds could be coming to an end.

Tom has been talking about this in his daily comments. Does the Bond Market or the Stock Market have the Economy correct?

However, the top Monkey Bond Timers have been throwing darts and hitting the Bullish part of the dart Board.

The consensus is Bullish! 3 Bulls, 1 Neutral and 1 Bear. I'll get a new update this evening. The big Market throwing dart tournaments are held on Tuesday and Friday nights at the Pub. I get the reports Wednesday and Saturday after 7 Pm.

Stay Tuned!

The work by these Monkeys indicates positive model for Bonds going forward.

I'm neutral, with the poor throwing Monkeys.

From Carl:

Technical analysis is a windsock, not a crystal ball. Be prepared to adjust your tactics if conditions change.

From Desperado:

Technical analysis is having a good aim when throwing darts. Be prepared to adjust your aim at the Dart Board or just close your eyes and throw.

Back to the lurk mode. Need to go throw some darts at my Buy and hold dart board to decide which indexes to short again. I like the QQQ's. Short-term trading only, very tight stops.

TSP G Fund. Some long positions on stocks that the Shark has been recommending to me. He does a very good job at hitting the dart board and getting winners. Just another news letter, not for Buy and Hold folks to check out. http://www.revsharkblog.com/

WFT, our Stock of the Week. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?

s=WFT&t=5d

FUTURESTRADER
12-14-2006, 09:01 AM
$TNX looks to still have some room up to 4.65 resistance, could be achieved in 2-3 biz days, now at 4.597

airlift
12-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Futurestrader,

Just touching bases with you. Do you think that the technicals and/or fundamentals support buying the F fund now? I am looking at $TNX 6-month daily chart. $TNX made an intraday high of 46.22, which almost touched the 50 DMA reading at 46.27 and closed the day at 45.99. Thanks.

$TNX looks to still have some room up to 4.65 resistance, could be achieved in 2-3 biz days, now at 4.597

nnuut
12-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Boy, the "F" is STINKIN' lately!:mad:

FUTURESTRADER
12-27-2006, 10:41 AM
re: $TNX "what's overbought/oversold, can STAY overbought/oversold" :)

fedgolfer
12-27-2006, 12:36 PM
F fund showing a descending triangle with the price hangin' on the lower trendline/support level. If this pattern proves to be a continuation, the measure bull move in the F could be over until the Fed or something else sparks it.

robo
12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
The Top Bond Timers are now Bearish. Contrarian indicator, we shall see.