PDA

View Full Version : Let someone manage your own money???

Oldman
05-28-2004, 06:07 PM
I know I am not the only person in Federal service that noticed that our last deposit was not posted on time. It was posted tuesday instead of monday and if the funds the money was deposited in was up, you lost shares! I sure would like to get you guys to invest in a fund I manage. You had better watch your nickles.

thinks
05-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Welcome, Oldman!

I guess, I'm not sure what you mean... care to expand? Maybe I just need some food and when I come back I'll understand. ;)

tsptalk
05-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Have you looked into it Oldman? I get paid on Thursday's not Monday, but I admit I don't always check my account to be sure the deposit was timely. Your next statement will show you the days and prices of your deposits, if you can wait that long. July I think.

Oldman
05-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Just so you know Thinks, TSPTALK,the pay period ends Saturday, we are paid the following thursday of the week. Our deposit into TSP is supposed to occur at the closing price of the first business day following the end of the pay period. Not our payday!

I know its only a minor issue but this is about the third time this has happended this year. The Accountstatement Jan-Mar had the correction posted. It took a bunch of calls from fed employees to make DFAS and TSP correct the posting. There is some issue of the Tape? being sent from DFAS and when the TSP gets it and it is posted.

Just be aware!!

Rolo
05-29-2004, 11:13 AM
DFAS slipping dates? errors, corrections? I'm shocked.

But what if the day-late works to your advantage, i.e. share prices are cheaper? heh heh

Depositsshould be made at thepublished date, especially for us tap-dancing timers.

This reminds me, I have my next deposit going into G. Should I change it to C, S, or the highly-speculative I? HmmMMMmmmm....

Okay, I'll bite: What fund do you manage?

tsptalk
05-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Rolo wrote:
This reminds me, I have my next deposit going into G. Should I change it to C, S, or the highly-speculative I? HmmMMMmmmm....

I've been using 50% C, 50% S for long time. Since I transfer so often, I rarely change my contribution. If, like in January, I am in one fund allocation (G) for more than a few payperiods,I may make a change or I'll just make another transfer after payday.

Okay, I'll bite: What fund do you manage?
I know that fund. It's run by Dewey, Cheatum and Howe :D

I think he says he can make a fortune nickle and diming the unsuspecting participants.

Rolo
05-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Haha! Oh! I get it now.

Oldman
05-31-2004, 07:04 PM
I only manage my own Fund! 19 years, soon to be 20. I believe in making money the old fashion way, you gotta earn it! That is not hard to do, what is hard to do is to hang on to it. The movie Richard Pryor was in about stealing a penny from each paycheck the company issued made him millions. Would I suspect our own government would do that to us? No, at least not deliberately, however the contractor who manages the TSP might.

Rolo
05-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Good point...can never have "never happen tome!" attitude.

hehe, Office Space (best....movie....ever) had that plotline in it too.