PDA

View Full Version : Interfund Transfer 10/14 for 10/17/05

tsptalk
10-14-2005, 09:09 AM
A decline in the Consumer Confidence Report is pulling the market back after a nice opening rally. That is good. A bad confidence report tends to lead to higher prices (another contrarian indicator). I'm ready to go full force into stocks and am making an interfund transfer this morning going 40% C, 30% S and 30% I fund. This will be effective 10/17 getting theclosing prices of 10/14.

Please only get aggressive here if you can be nimble and get out again fairly quickly. Maybe as early as next week. Today's Market Comments are at www.tsptalk.com/comments.html (http://www.tsptalk.com/comments.html)

Tom

The_Technician
10-14-2005, 09:47 AM
WOOOO WEEEE! U brave Tom.....

:^

Mike
10-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I did something similar without reading your comments.

:P

:shock:

tsptalk
10-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Mike wrote:
I did something similar without reading your comments.
Set it and forget it, huh? :D

Good luck

Mike
10-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Yep. I'm leaving it alone for a long time.

I still have to watch the market due to my home-purchasing / Roth IRA situation, but other than that, I don't care much. :P

tsptalk
10-19-2005, 07:10 PM
How 'bout that I fund? EFA up .81% and the I fund loses .18%, and the dollar was down!Yesterday'sloss was a bit lighterthan the EFA loss so I can see some minor adjustments, but my guess is tomorrow the I fund willhave to pay a bit more than the EFA return to even things out.

cowboy
10-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi Tom! I knew yesterday the I fund was down and the MSCI comes out showing the fund down by 1.15%at the end. Now today they open EFA at 1.04% down this is actually yesterdays loss! These guys are regulating thisfund as stated as they do not want anyone timing the thing. It seems to me they are taking the EFA and adjusting against what actually happened when they realign it. It seems to bemost noticeable on days when the swing is big. The persons or person doing the adjusting has habits and this maybe the key to figuring thisfund out.By doing so they have made the EFA a worthless indicator and only a factor of the whole. So vertually it is a guessing game as to when the person or persons make the adjustment to the funds. It really torksme when they do this cause it costs you the difference. This is why Icost averaged into this fund and still they caught me.

FUTURESTRADER
10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi folks, looks like some good stuff here..better than the market today:*

check symbol BTAEX for what appears to be a better tracking 'instrument' for the I fund. anybody else use that?

tsptalk
10-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Cowboy -
Looks as if they are succeeding in making it tough for usto trade.

Welcome Futurestrader!
I will keep an eye on BTAEX. Today will be a good test. EFA is down 2.3% and BTAEX is down just .08%. Let's see what the I fund does. The dollar was very weak today so I'm leaning toward, a hoping to see, something less than 2%.

Tom

FUTURESTRADER
10-20-2005, 04:27 PM
tsptalk wrote:
Cowboy -
Looks as if they are succeeding in making it tough for usto trade.

Welcome Futurestrader!
I will keep an eye on BTAEX. Today will be a good test. EFA is down 2.3% and BTAEX is down just .08%. Let's see what the I fund does. The dollar wasweak vs. the pound today, so I'm leaning toward, a hoping to see, something less than 2%.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

that was yesterday's close..BTAEX is a mutual fund...mutual funds update about 8 pm est. looks like EFA intraday performance correlates (relative to I fund) up to about 1 p.m. est. so i'm hoping, too it didn't get hit in the afternoon sell off, along with the dollar being down...*fingers crossed:D

tsptalk
10-20-2005, 06:25 PM
tsptalk wrote:
How 'bout that I fund? EFA up .81% and the I fund loses .18%, and the dollar was down!Yesterday'sloss was a bit lighterthan the EFA loss so I can see some minor adjustments, but my guess is tomorrow the I fund willhave to pay a bit more than the EFA return to even things out.
That turned out tobe the case. I fund was "only" down 1.17% when the EFA was down 2.3%. Do we readjust tomorrow or are we even now? :?

cowboy
10-20-2005, 07:04 PM
tsptalk wrote:
tsptalk wrote:
That turned out tobe the case. I fund was "only" down 1.17% when the EFA was down 2.3%. Do we readjust tomorrow or are we even now? :?
They are even now but they put me down in the cellar holding back on me yesterday. I had the market pegged down to 16.02, they adjusted it today and gave me the shaft. I expect the MSCI to show correctly tomorrow.

FUTURESTRADER
10-20-2005, 09:25 PM
cowboy wrote:
tsptalk wrote:
tsptalk wrote:
They are even now but they put me down in the cellar holding back on me yesterday. I had the market pegged down to 16.02, they adjusted it today and gave me the shaft. I expect the MSCI to show correctly tomorrow. BTAEX down .97% today...us dollar futures down, 100% S at the open tommorow...100% G for monday open based on tonite's closes:^

tsptalk
10-21-2005, 12:15 AM
FUTURESTRADER wrote:
BTAEX down .97% today...us dollar futures down, 100% S at the open tommorow...100% G for monday open based on tonite's closes:^
That was closer to the I fund result. I will keep watching. But as you said, it is a pretty late quote so it's not too helpful during the day.

FUTURESTRADER
10-21-2005, 07:51 AM
tsptalk wrote:
FUTURESTRADER wrote:
BTAEX down .97% today...us dollar futures down, 100% S at the open tommorow...100% G for monday open based on tonite's closes:^
That was closer to the I fund result. I will keep watching. But as you said, it is a pretty late quote so it's not too helpful during the day.
Good morning Tom,

I have streaming realtime charts running all day, EFA included, DWCP, etc., They're fun to watch but not really too helpful in 'trading' the TSP. I did get caught up in trying to predict the close of the DWCP and beat the transfer time of 11:59 est. Half the time I will guess right. Like a coin toss. Can't daytrade the TSP.

tsptalk
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
If they would just change the deadline to 4 PM ET, like mutual funds.... :)

FUTURESTRADER
10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
how 'bout 9:29 a.m. for that trading day??!!:D

smine
10-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Funny you should say that. I decided instead of wishing they would change the cut off time that I would write a letter to the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board. I told the Chairman that extending this deadline to market closing would help TSP participants better manage their funds and probably maximize their earnings, which would be good for TSP too. I received the response letter yesterday. He thanked me for my kind comments and went on to explain this:

"In order to be processed the same day, interfund transfers must be submitted by 12:00pm eastern time, or four hours before the market closes. This cutoff time is necessary because orders placed with TSP's investment manager, Barclays Global Investors must be made by 2:00p eastern time. The two hours between 12:00pm and 2:00pm are needed for the TSP to process the transactions that will be included in the daily trade."

He goes on to explain that in the private sector many investors do trade up until market closure but this comes at a significant cost. "Under the TSP model, virtually all amounts can be invested each day. As required by law, the TSP's focus is on minimizing the costs borne by participants".

THEN, the final paragragh: "The TSP was not designed for active trading, and I would caution you against using it for that purpose. It is not advisable to make market bets with the money that funds your retirement. We recommend that you choose an asset allocation that is appropriate for you, and use interfund transfers primarily for rebalancing your account to use that asset allocation."

I didn't particularly like the lecture. My money has been in thrift for many years, just sitting earning the very least amount it could. Having better control over these funds is not only earning me more but also educating me on what affects my retirement money. I am not in the first grade and can make active decisions, wrong or right, about my own money. I just felt that I should try to change the way TSP does business. After all, they have made many changes in the process over the years.

FUTURESTRADER
10-21-2005, 09:58 AM
it is understandable why the times are when they are..vs paying commision:shock:..pretty nice to learn the market in that way...I do kinda resent their attitude as well, their 'warnings'..a standard 'cover their butts' position, tho..typical of government management; applying a didactic facade to subterfuge a lack of expertise.

JerBer
10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah, not only that, but they're putting up a front to cover their ineptitude !!;)

FUTURESTRADER
10-21-2005, 10:57 AM
lol..yeah,..that too..while i'm here..just went 75S, 15G, 10F for open monday..based on yesterday's closes

tsptalk
10-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Way to go smine!

JOVARN
10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
FUTURESTRADER wrote:
lol..yeah,..that too..while i'm here..just went 75S, 15G, 10F for open monday..based on yesterday's closes
How did you do the above for monday's actionbased on yesterdays close. I thought that you would have had to IFT before 12n on Friday for Mondays action.

Is this a mistake or have I been doing it wrong ?

Jo

vectorman
10-22-2005, 01:21 PM
JOVARN wrote:
FUTURESTRADER wrote:
How did you do the above for monday's actionbased on yesterdays close. I thought that you would have had to IFT before 12n on Friday for Mondays action.

Jo

Jo look at FUTURESTRADER's date and time of post. The yesterday, was for thursday and his friday's IFT was made before 12 est, so for monday he should be 75S,15G and 10F.

FUTURESTRADER
10-22-2005, 06:32 PM
vectorman wrote:
JOVARN wrote:
FUTURESTRADER wrote:

Jo

Jo look at FUTURESTRADER's date and time of post. The yesterday, was for thursday and his friday's IFT was made before 12 est, so for monday he should be 75S,15G and 10F.
yup..looking at charts now, friday's closes,to make IFT before noon on monday to catch the waves (position one's self) at tuesday's open.

FUTURESTRADER
10-22-2005, 07:07 PM
FUTURESTRADER wrote:
vectorman wrote:
JOVARN wrote:
FUTURESTRADER wrote:

Jo

yup..looking at charts now, friday's closes,to make IFT before noon on monday to catch the waves (position one's self) at tuesday's open. tentative 75S, 25I

tsptalk
10-23-2005, 10:50 PM
FUTURESTRADER wrote:

tentative 75S, 25I
FT -
I started an account for you over here ... http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/view_topic.php?id=2333&forum_id=21

If interested, you can track your moves with the rest of us.

Thanks!
Tom