PDA

View Full Version : Do you FUND other retirement accounts?

Rolo
05-23-2004, 12:32 PM
If so, in what order?

[line]

TSP (automatic)
SEP (smallest, easiest)
Roth
Taxable

I fund SEP and Roth in January of the tax year, moving cash from reserves, and then fund the reserves. Usually, I willput a little extra into reserves Nov-Dec the previous year in preparation for it.

I did make a mistake early 2003 and my problem with it is that I knew better. (Yet another example of it being one thing to learn from a book, another thing to learn it the hard way.)

I knew it was the time to buy XMSR (XM Satellite Radio shares)--it was going to rise from being a nobody and gain popularity with consumers and investors. I thought, "I will find my tax-advantaged accounts first." and I stuck to that in spite of something within me constantly nagging me to buy XMSR first.

I funded my IRAs with good mutual funds and eventually got around to my Scottrade account...after XMSR quadrupled in three months or so. D'oh! It is not like I did not see it happening, but I stuck to my plan anyway. I missed the boat and had to swim out to catch it.

The lesson is: Tax lawshould not bea primary reason for making investment decisions, only a consideration at best!

So, my list has exceptions...now. :)

Rolo
05-28-2004, 12:51 PM
23views and only2 votes? :(

I know one person didn't refresh this 21 times!

Rolo
06-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Six votes. I guess I should have put a "None" option there, huh? heh