PDA

View Full Version : Share accumulation

Todd
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM
;)I have at least 20 years, or so, until eligable to retire.Should my objective be increase the total number of shares I have?

I know I can buy and hold and continue to make regular contrabutions,all the while hopingthe share price is higher when I am close to retirment However, can I make moves in the account that would increase my # of shares other than making additional purchases?

Can this be accomplished by interfund transfers of existing shares? If so, How?

I like the spread sheet available on TSP talk. It tracts account value by my % allocation. Should I be worried now on what the value of my account is or should I be worried about how to increase shares?

Can someone develope a spreadsheetthat tracts the increas or decreas of shares in the account based on share price when sold and $$ amount in account.?

Rolo
09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Welcome, Todd! :^

1. No. Increase the number of $ you have. :D

2. Yes. Wear a helmet for those whipsaws, though. :*

3. Yes. Buy low, sell high. :{:}

4. Same as #1. :u

5. Yes. Pyriel will likely beat me to it. :zz

biggdog1
09-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Todd I adapted TSPTom's spreadsheet to include daily share balances to the right. To your answer about shares or $, $ is the bottom line. However dollar cost avg. will make the bucks.

cowboy
09-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Todd wrote:
;)I have at least 20 years, or so, until eligable to retire.Should my objective be increase the total number of shares I have?

I know I can buy and hold and continue to make regular contrabutions,all the while hopingthe share price is higher when I am close to retirment However, can I make moves in the account that would increase my # of shares other than making additional purchases?

Can this be accomplished by interfund transfers of existing shares? If so, How?

I like the spread sheet available on TSP talk. It tracts account value by my % allocation. Should I be worried now on what the value of my account is or should I be worried about how to increase shares?

Can someone develope a spreadsheetthat tracts the increas or decreas of shares in the account based on share price when sold and $$ amount in account.?

Yes, you could try to increase share.

Yes, you can make moves to increase shares but all moves are at risk.

Yes, the interfund transfer is the method and it can be completed on a daily basis if you want the ending day price than move prior to the noon cut off line anything after will give you the next days ending price.

I would say if your going to make moves or take risks thanyou shouldn't worry about the value of your account or the increase of shares as you will make mistakes that will not pan out and the more you worry themore you may lose.

The main thing is long term and that your smart enough to try to save some of your income for retirement.

tsptalk
09-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Todd wrote:
Should my objective be increase the total number of shares I have?
Hi Todd -
This has been a debate here for some time. You might look for old posts but "Frizz B" for the discussions.

My quick answer is that the number of shares does not matter. What matters is that you have your money in the funds that perform the best at any given time (assuming you are not buying and holding a diversified account).

100 shares of a $10 stock has the same value as 10 shares of a $100 stock. If they both go up 20% you still have 100 shares of one, or 10 of the other and they are now both worth $1200.

In my opinion, you want to concentrate on finding the "stock" or fund, that will perform the best at any given time, regardless of the share price.

Thanks,
Tom

Todd
09-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Tom,

Where are the old posts for "Frizz B" located at?:*

Does your time to retirment have an effect on your fund allocation decisions? If so, do you have a long term time horizon or a short term horizon. :?

Pete1
09-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Todd,

I suggest that you focus on your overall asset allocation (ratio of stocks to bonds for the long-term) as opposed to the number of shares owned. Asset allocation accounts for about 90% of the long-termreturn of your portfolio. An excellent book on the topic of asset allocation is "The Intelligent Asset Allocator" by William Bernstein.

Rolo
09-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Todd wrote:
Where are the old posts for "Frizz B" located at?:*

At the top of this page, type Frizz B into the Search box and check "Search by username".

I miss Frizz B --> :dude:

Did M_M run him off? :D heh