PDA

View Full Version : TSP Tracker

DakotaKid
09-01-2005, 07:55 AM
I have aquestion about the TSP Tracker in regards to what the "My Return Period" column is actually returning. Any insight would be appreciated.

Example:

Yesterday I bought 100% G fund. G = $11.00/share, C = $15.00/share.

Today, I sold the G fund and bought 100% C. G = $11.01/share (a 0.09% increase) and C = $14.95/share (a -0.33% decrease).

According to the Tracker, my return for the transaction was-.33%. Shouldn't the return for the transaction be +0.09%? Afterall, I bought the G fund at $11.00/share, then turned around and sold it for $11.01/share, a 0.09% gain. Similarily, if I sold all the C stock tomorrow at $14.80 and bought something else, my return on the C fund should be a -1.00% loss, shouldn't it? It shouldn't matter what I bought after I sold the C fund because it doesn't have any bearing on my C fund return.

To reflect this on the Tracker (if the above is correct), the formula in the "My Return Period" should be changed as follows:

(in S7):

From: =((H7 * M7) + (I7 * N7) + (J7 * O7) + (K7 * P7) + (L7 * Q7))

To: =((H6 * M7) + (I6 * N7) + (J6 * O7) + (K6 * P7) + (L6 * Q7))

If you copy this cell to S6, you'll get an error. To resolve it, enter what your allocaton was the the beginning of the year in cells H5 thru L5. If you don't know, then make cells H5 thru L5 the same as celss H6 thru L6, making your initial return 0%.

Chances are there's a flaw in my logic since all of you out there use the Tracker and I haven't seen this brought up anywhere. I'd appreciate it if someone could look at this and explain to me what that flaw is if it's there (nicely pls :) Thanks!

Rolo
09-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I would answer but I don't have the spreadsheet.

*sneeze* Pyriel *cough* FundSurfer *ahem* :D

Make sure you aren't one column off on your %ages though...

grandma
09-05-2005, 12:35 AM
send Pyriel your e-mail address, get on the mailing list.

Did you get the house decorated the way you wanted? Last I heard you were buying window coverings ...any trees planted yet? Thatis aclassy car is it really pink? - are you still into PT's?? I was unable to sign your web page guest book -

Rolo
09-05-2005, 09:12 AM
grandma wrote:
send Pyriel your e-mail address, get on the mailing list.

Hey Py...am I on this list? (the mailing list, not the other list)

grandma wrote:
Did you get the house decorated the way you wanted? Last I heard you were buying window coverings

heh...my temporary shades cover the windows just fine! Decorating is a slooow and expensive process. I am doing it in bits at a time by room rather than by item...that way the look will evolve and take shape. I cannot possibly do all windows, for example, when I do not know what all the rooms will look like. The Rec Room is next...still looking for the perfect sectional.

Also, the piecemeal is due to whatever I spend on 'stuff' detracts from whatever I put into investments. Right now, buying investments is much more importantuntil about spring.

I got my decorating fix on vacation...totally redecorated my dad's house (now that his idiot ex is gone). Trashed just about eveything and started anew. It looks really nice and he is much happier with his home.

grandma wrote:
...any trees planted yet?

These weeds are lookin' like trees! heh...we got back from vacation and almost missed our house...the yard is supposed to be all sand...not sand with this green stuff everywhere!

I just got a fence put up. My neighbour is waiting until spring to do his yard and I'm right there with him. In the meantime, I will put my property in a program and I will figure out what I want to do with it. No grass in the front...only rocks, bark,and those so-ugly-they're-cool Colorado trees, etc. I am limiting my lawn care obligations to about 15 minutes/month. :^

grandma wrote:
Thatis aclassy car is it really pink?

It is about a dozen layers of paint with a copper base, getting more pink. It shade-shifts depending on lighting, position, angle, etc. The paint alone costs more than my PT.

grandma wrote:
- are you still into PT's??

Yup...not so much as a hobby lately...I have some parts I need to put on (eek, still need to organise the garage!) but I still have both of them and still love driving them. It's a car that never gets old!

grandma wrote:
I was unable to sign your web page guest book -

errr.....I have a web page?

grandma
09-05-2005, 10:02 AM
grandma wrote:
I was unable to sign your web page guest book -errr.....I have a web page?

- - -this isn't you?? PTCrew? Maybe I used the wrong terms ......

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/rolox2

Rolo
09-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. I prolly should update that and add the other PT.

You have to be logged in to sign it. How greedy of them...not worth the time unless you have a CarDomain page.

Spring project list:
-Cars
-Yard

That should fill up my spring.

Winter project list:
-Garage
-Sort my 200GB of files

Between the dust in the summer and the grit/snow in the winter, it is a lot of work keeping the cars detailed. It kinda sucks, actually. But, I have NO excuse. At the Cruisers at Daytona show, I saw a guy's 2000 PT, heavy customised, and immaculate. I had to ask if it was his daily driver. It is. He lives in Ohio, yet, keeps it flawless. So, no excuses here, no matter how much I dred cleaning the engine.

The cool thing about detailing your car is that it keeps it fresh and you enjoy/appreciate it more and never take it for granted.

[line]

The new tracker, are the formulas the same as the old tracker, just more slots?

pyriel
09-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Rolo wrote:
I would answer but I don't have the spreadsheet.

*sneeze* Pyriel *cough* FundSurfer *ahem* :D

Make sure you aren't one column off on your %ages though...
Sorry Rolo but I haven't sent out the trackers for this week. I usually send them on weekend. But I left them in my office so I won't be sending them out till Tuesday morning (monday night around your area). I got your email add and will add you tot the email list...

pyriel
09-05-2005, 03:11 PM
DakotaKid wrote:
If you copy this cell to S6, you'll get an error. To resolve it, enter what your allocaton was the the beginning of the year in cells H5 thru L5. If you don't know, then make cells H5 thru L5 the same as celss H6 thru L6, making your initial return 0%.

Chances are there's a flaw in my logic since all of you out there use the Tracker and I haven't seen this brought up anywhere. I'd appreciate it if someone could look at this and explain to me what that flaw is if it's there (nicely pls :) Thanks!

The last day you will be at 100g is the day you sold them so you will put today's share price at 100g. You got -.33 because you placed the share price at your new allocation after selling 100g. Always remember that when you sell or make an IFT (before 1200 est of that day), that will be the last time you will be in that allocation so you need to wait for the share prices to show up that night and place them at 100g.

On your new allocation, you should put the word "current" under 100c. As long as you don't move, you will place all new share prices in that line. Once you decide to move (let's say 100s), you will type in the new allocation belowand take the end of the day's share prices at the line where 100c was located. Your new allocation(100s) should not have a new share prices becauseyou are waiting for the following day's market to open and close to getnew share prices.

I know that I made this clear as mud...:shock:

DakotaKid
09-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your reply. After reading it, I went back and looked at the instructions for the Tracker and realized I hadn't been doing it right. When I updated it, I got the same results as my earlier solution to the problem (see original post). Thanks for the help!

Todd
09-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Dakotakid,

I like your question. That was posted on Sept. 1st.

Did it ever get answered.

If so what was the answer.

DakotaKid
09-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Actually, yes it did get answered (by Pyriel). Basically, I didn't read TSP Tom's instructions closely enough. What I was doing was this: If I bought 100% G today (9-8) at $11.00/share, and sold it in 1 week (9-15) for $11.05/share, I didn't update the price. I left the price of $11.00 for the 9-8 buy, and put the $11.05 price in the 9-15 row. What you should do is update the 9-8 price to $11.05, and put the $11.05 price in 9-15. Everyday after 9-15, you should continue updating the share price until you sell, etc.

My suggestion for improvement actually accomplished the same thing. When I realized my mistake, I went back and fixed my original TSP Tom sheet, and it came up matching my "improved" method. So either would actually work. The only difference, that I can see, is with Tom's, you need to update the price every day (which gives u a daily idea of how you're doing). With my way, you only update the price when u buy/sell (so this doesn't give u a daily idea of how you're doing).

It's clear in my head what I'm saying, but that doesn't always translate to paper. If you'd like any more explanation, lemme know! Hope it helped.