PDA

View Full Version : I Fund

Red Pill Market Analyst
08-10-2005, 11:52 PM
I want to thank the kind host of this forum for taking on the challenge of maintaining this site while, at the same time, trying to educate or enlighten the board participants and lurkers about these "financial" markets.

I've been 100 % "all in" the I fund since January of 2004. I made one transfer in January of 2005 for about a week and then realized the stupidy of that decision and have been 100% in since then.

This is the no brainer "investment" of the next, well, very long time.

Good luck all.

vectorman
08-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Red Pill Market Analyst wrote:
I want to thank the kind host of this forum for taking on the challenge of maintaining this site while, at the same time, trying to educate or enlighten the board participants and lurkers about these "financial" markets.

I've been 100 % "all in" the I fund since January of 2004. I made one transfer in January of 2005 for about a week and then realized the stupidy of that decision and have been 100% in since then.

This is the no brainer "investment" of the next, well, very long time.

Good luck all.

If what you say is true, then you have great patience and have done well.Fear is what keeps people from making money. The over-all trend has been up and even after some consolidation the market continues to push higher. Sometimes it best to look at the big picture and the over all trend. Time is our biggest friend and at the some time our worst enemy.http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/charts/big.chart?symb=EFA&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=0&maval=9& uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=79 8822&style=320&time=10&freq=1&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FC HOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=7119&mocktick=1

gunyvw
10-30-2005, 11:50 AM
hello i am new here... i am in theI fund myself since june 05... it's been great so far

here compares I,S and Cfor 2 previous years...

http://www.geocities.com/gunyvw/icsfundcompare.jpg

its says dwcp not valid symbol, but it says dwcpf is not valid either...still shows the same chart...

BTW: howDO you imput that symbol anyone know...

tsptalk
10-30-2005, 01:00 PM
gunyvw wrote:
BTW: howDO you imput that symbol anyone know...

Put "^" in front of it. "^dwcpf"

gunyvw
10-30-2005, 01:13 PM
ok, thanks tsptalk

FUTURESTRADER
10-31-2005, 03:36 PM
EFA up only .18% today...from 1 pm friday to 1 pm today, efa up 1.1%, gotta give us more than the .18%...did give us a little break on friday tho

LA_Guy
10-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi All,
I recently found this forum while in surfing the net. I have some questions regarding the share price of the I-Fund and appreciate if anyone can clarify.

From my understanding, I Fund is correlated to EAFE index. So from today's action on Oct 31,2005 , the EAFE index is up .10 from previous close so the change is 0.18% [/b]. However, the I-Fund share price is up .20 from previous close so the change is 1.23%[/b] .

Am I missing something here? Why aren't they corresponding to each other?????

FUTURESTRADER
10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
hi laguy..i don't think anyone has quite figured it out yet....the TSP board figures a fair valuation...how is the question...I see some correlation using EFA from 1 p.m. to 1 p.m. the following day...sometimes:?...today was close, from friday 1 pm to today 1 pm was 1.1%...also a mutual fund (symbol BTAEX) does show some correlation onit's close vs I fund close...again ...sometimes. It was up 1.1% today

gunyvw
11-01-2005, 03:41 AM
i may be in left field but i think it's the way that it's weighted (like) the stocks in the index but it's not the exact MIX of the whats in the index

LA_Guy
11-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks FuturesTrader. I got the picture now. :)

FUTURESTRADER
11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
EFA up .76% today....up .425% from 1 pm yesterday to 1 pm today, lets see what "fair valuation" is for I at 7 pm esttonite:%

LA_Guy
11-01-2005, 10:48 PM
I-Fund is up .54% today.
FuturesTrader, your formula is very close.

tsptalk
11-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Welcome LA_Guy! From tsp.gov...

On some days, the change in the I Fund share price reported by the TSP does not match the change reported for the Morgan Stanley EAFE (Europe, Australasia, Far East) index, which the I Fund tracks. This happens when the Board's investment manager, Barclays Global Investors (BGI) reprices its EAFE Equity Index Fund, in which the TSP invests, after the close of the foreign markets. This process, known as "fair valuation," occurs when there are large U.S. market or currency movements between the time the foreign markets close and 4:00 p.m., eastern time, when BGI's share prices are determined. Fair valuation ensures that traders cannot "market time" the I Fund by making investment decisions based on the "stale" prices, thus diluting the returns of other participants who invest in the I Fund. Because the EAFE uses the foreign market closing prices to calculate its values, its price change will differ from the TSP's on those days.

LA_Guy
11-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Thank You tsptalk. :^

vectorman
01-31-2006, 12:48 AM
FTSE news.....
http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh4130 2_2006-01-30_16-52-50_mah060826_newsml

Fivetears
01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Mergers and acquisitions activity has sent the FTSE 100 to multi-year highs in recent months and shows no signs of letting up with renewed takeover talk surrounding Cable & Wireless and music retailer and mid-cap HMV.

But analysts say a raft of pending company results, especially in the banking sector, will be pivotal in dictating the direction of UK equities in the near term.

"We will have a much better picture in three weeks and that is possibly why the market is treading water," said Richard Hunter, head of UK equities at Hargreaves Lansdown Stockbrokers.

So... with 3 weeks of "let's wait and see..." and the Asian markets doing reasonably well, I'll do just that; run the truck in the I Fund MOAB, and wait & see. :cool:

The_Technician
02-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I personally stress caution on the I fund...I know that the Euro markets are going gang busters at the moment......but there is indication that the I fund is going to either go on hold or take a drop for a few days....it remains to be seen as usual....of course this isn't proven yet.....

Fivetears
02-02-2006, 07:45 PM
April 2003 to March 2004
.................45.21%
.......Never a negative month; not one.
.......Plenty of world disorder then too.

Fivetears
02-02-2006, 07:51 PM
June 2005 to Present
.................24.24%
...Only one negative month; October 2.9%.
..Is there any disorder in the world now? :rolleyes:

The_Technician
02-03-2006, 06:37 AM
high with economic/political conditions that are such as these either......wonder what that means.....

oldschool
02-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Pound, Euro, Yen - not all in synch relative to the dollar it seems...

Feb. 11 (Bloomberg) -- The pound fell against the dollar for the fourth week in a row on speculation the Bank of England may lower interest rates in the first half of this year, widening the yield advantage of the U.S. currency.

The pound dropped 1 percent against the dollar in the week as the central bank left its benchmark rate at 4.5 percent for a sixth month on Feb. 9 and interest-rate futures trading shows some investors have revived bets on lower borrowing costs by the middle of the year amid signs that consumer spending is sputtering.

``The dollar-supporting factors still have an impact such as the economic momentum and the interest rate differential,'' said Bjoern Pietsch, a fund manager at Deutsche Bank AG's DWS Investment GmbH.

Against the dollar, the pound was at $1.7446 late yesterday in London, from $1.7625 on Feb. 3. It was also at 68.22 pence versus the euro from 68.25 pence a week earlier.

The U.S. Federal Reserve has increased rates 14 consecutive times since June 2004 and is expected to raise the federal funds target a quarter percentage point at each of its next two meetings, reaching 5 percent by mid-year.

In the U.K., the central bank pared rates in August to 4.5 percent for the first time in two years. The yield on the interest- rate future maturing in June was 4.5 percent late Friday, down from 4.61 on Feb. 2, its highest this year. The futures contract settles to the three-month London inter-bank offered rate for the pound, which has averaged about 15 basis points more than the benchmark rate for the past decade.

A narrowing interest-rate premium erodes the attraction of U.K. assets compared to those in the U.S.

oldschool
02-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Here's link to New York Times story on same...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/business/yourmoney/19day.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

oldschool
02-19-2006, 11:06 PM
ANALYSTS say online investors are driving the soaring volume — and volatility — in Japan's resurgent stock markets. Internet trading, which did not exist before 1999, accounted for almost 29 percent of all equity trades in the six months that ended last September, according to the dealers association.

That more than accounts for all the increased trading during the Japanese market's rally. The leading Japanese stock index, the Nikkei 225, has risen about 40 percent since August. While all the short-term money sloshing around has helped Japanese stocks snap out of their decade-long slump, it is also creating new dangers, say analysts. Many recall how a similar fad in the United States in the late 1990's ended with many traders suffering substantial losses when the telecom and dot-com bubble burst. As the bull market turned, overleveraged speculators dumped their holdings, accelerating and exaggerating the decline in prices.

Something similar happened here last month, though on a much smaller scale, when prosecutors started an investigation of Livedoor, a Web portal company that had been a darling of Internet investors. The news set off an avalanche of sale orders — most placed online, according to securities companies — that shut down the computers at the Tokyo Stock Exchange, the world's second-largest bourse, after the New York Stock Exchange.

Since the Tokyo exchange reopened, Livedoor's share price has been in free fall, dropping more than 90 percent in three weeks. The authorities in Tokyo filed charges last week against Livedoor's founder, Takafumi Horie, and three other former executives of his company, accusing them of spreading false information to inflate a subsidiary's stock price.

The exchange is racing to update its computers, but many analysts fear similar waves of panicked selling in the future. They also say that the rising popularity of online trading has coincided with an almost three-year rally in Japan's stock markets. It is easy to make money when prices are rising, they say. But day-trading may lose some of its luster in the next bear market.

"The real test will come when the market goes down," said Yukihiro Yabuki, a managing director for marketing at Matsui Securities, one of Japan's largest online brokerage firms. "Will they abandon day-trading as soon as things get tough? Do they really understand the risks?"

So far, Livedoor's fall has failed to dampen enthusiasm for online trading. That popularity is seen in the appearance of televised day-trading competitions and in books with titles like "How a University Student Like Me Made 300 Million Yen in Internet Trading."

biggdog1
02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Ah So my friend, but what goes down usually goes back up. Foreign markets are still outpreforming the U.S. except for small and middle caps. How long will this last? Who knows !!! However the Nicky is still having problems with it's own volutility, but in the long run money will be made in the I-Fund. You just have to buy and hold.

oldschool
02-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Ah, but how long must one hold, it's not always quite so simple.

Average annual return for C fund for last 5 years to date is about .25%. Something more like 8.9% if you calculate for last 10 years.

But what if you had a big position in nicky back at 40,000 more than 10 years ago - answer: "still waiting".

So imho, there's some reason to watch and see if it's possible to step aside from the big downdrafts that seem to come to various markets/sectors from time to time.

Fivetears
02-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Ah, but how long must one hold, it's not always quite so simple.

Average annual return for C fund for last 5 years to date is about .25%. Something more like 8.9% if you calculate for last 10 years.

But what if you had a big position in nicky back at 40,000 more than 10 years ago - answer: "still waiting".

So imho, there's some reason to watch and see if it's possible to step aside from the big downdrafts that seem to come to various markets/sectors from time to time.
April 2003 through March 2004: If one bought and held in the I-Fund, one would have netted 45.21% on their investment; 11 months. That's over $45,210.00 profit on a $100K investment; compound interest not applied.

Not a 5 year wait. Not 10 years.

11 months.

Just a one time fluke? Nope.
June 2005 to PRESENT: 22.34%; 8 months.

Buy & Hold. :)

mlk_man
03-09-2006, 08:00 AM
A Sensible Approach to The I Fund
By Ralph Smith (http://www.fedsmith.com/about/ralph.php)
3/8/2006

The following will sound like conflicting advice. But read on carefully.

First, you may have too much money in the I fund. For example, if you put 25% of your TSP investments into the I fund back in 2003, you now have a much larger percentage of your retirement money in foreign stocks than you did originally. No other fund has done as well as the I fund. That is good but watch your portfolio allocation. You don't want to put too much of of your TSP money in this (or any other) fund. (If you do want to have most of your retirement funds in the I fund, more power to you. The rest of us will watch closely as you accept the risk. We will hope you do well!)

Second, you may not have enough money in the I fund. If you have been avoiding this fund out of fear, patriotism or lack of knowledge, you may want to reconsider.

Link: http://www.fedsmith.com/articles/articles.showarticle.db.php?intArticleID=847

Fivetears
03-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by milk_man: The rest of us will watch closely as you accept the risk.
Please explain the fear of risk with the I Fund, M_M? Can't anyone move out in a matter of hours, at ones own discretion, by going to the TSP website; at no cost? I fail to comprehend the factors involving risk, Sir? The I-Fund will never get the uncontested chance to pull the proverbial full gainer off the Hoover Dam. One must remember, news didn't travel very well during events precluding the U.S. crash of 1929.

One must simply set a personal level of acceptable "yardage" loss, while investing in this fund, and be ready punt on "that" fourth down. Some offenses punt on 4th & 2 and some have enough faith & power to run on 4th & 4. To each & everyone their chosen own. Good luck, and God Speed us all to long, healthy & happy retirements.

The recent I-Fund returns are pretty darn hard to beat. **See two posts above.**

Brian :)

mlk_man
03-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Please explain the fear of risk with the I Fund, M_M?
Brian :)

FT, where did this quote come from? You do realize I don't have an "I" in my handle right?

oldschool
03-10-2006, 08:30 PM
April 2003 through March 2004: If one bought and held in the I-Fund, one would have netted 45.21% on their investment; 11 months. That's over $45,210.00 profit on a $100K investment; compound interest not applied.

Not a 5 year wait. Not 10 years.

11 months.

Just a one time fluke? Nope.
June 2005 to PRESENT: 22.34%; 8 months.

Buy & Hold. :)

It all depends on what dates one looks at for I fund performance. For the year 2000, down %14, for 2001 down 21.94%, for 2003 down %15.98. For Nov. 1, 2000 to Oct 1, 2001 - I fund was down roughly 36%. Buy and Hold? Sure, when the trend is up. Again, imho, it's nice to dodge the big downdrafts..... The I and S funds have more volitility than the C - bigger risk of both outsized gains and outsized losses...

Fivetears
03-10-2006, 09:00 PM
FT, where did this quote come from? You do realize I don't have an "I" in my handle right?Respectfully, I'm not quite sure I follow or understand your question about me realizing you don't 'have an "I" in your handle'.

Brian

Fivetears
03-10-2006, 09:23 PM
A ha! MLK_MAN. Your handle. I'm still learning the jargon. My apology for the "I". The quote you question came directly from your post. I assume when one goes out of their way to post information, one (at a minimum) would endorse the comments of the post. If it were not the case sir, then why go through all the trouble to educate or inform TSPtalk readers?

Please explain the fear of risk with the I Fund. Can't anyone move out in a matter of hours, at ones own discretion, by going to the TSP website; at no cost? I fail to comprehend the factors involving risk, Sir. The I-Fund will never get the uncontested chance to pull the proverbial full gainer off the Hoover Dam. One must remember, news didn't travel very well during events precluding the U.S. crash of 1929.

Your post preceding my question stated,"The rest of us will watch closely as you accept the risk."

Respectfully,
Brian

bkrownd
03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Well...the next world war could nearly wipe the I fund out in a matter of days. ;) Once the crazies get hold of a nuke, the gloves are off and Guantanamo will look like Disneyland compared to what comes next.

mlk_man
03-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I assume when one goes out of their way to post information, one (at a minimum) would endorse the comments of the post. If it were not the case sir, then why go through all the trouble to educate or inform TSPtalk readers?
risk."

Respectfully,
Brian

Sir, you assume wrong. I post information so that one can make a knowledgable decision on their own. I neither endorse nor oppose most articles that I post.

"Why go through all the trouble to educate or inform TSPtalk readers", say what? Isn't that what this site is all about? Am I missing something here?

I personally don't care for the "I" fund. But that doesn't stop me from playing it from time to time.

Now, as far as your quoting something that I never said, don't you think that when someone starts mis-quoting someone else and even worse, starts fabricating quotes, that that is when we really start having problems?

Regards,

M_M

mlk_man
03-10-2006, 11:05 PM
A ha! MLK_MAN. Your handle. I'm still learning the jargon. My apology for the "I". You are the most handsome man on this board and I would never, ever do anything to disrespect you. When i go watch the movie "Brokeback Mountain", I think of you and can only hope one day to finally meet you.

Respectfully,
Brian

See what I mean...........:blink:

Fivetears
03-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Well...the next world war could nearly wipe the I fund out in a matter of days. ;) Once the crazies get hold of a nuke, the gloves are off and Guantanamo will look like Disneyland compared to what comes next.I soundly agree with you on this scenario, and wholeheartedly pray the "matter of days" do not fall between the market bells surrounding an otherwise peaceful weekend. But until then... you can't beat the odds in the I.

Fivetears
03-11-2006, 01:17 AM
See what I mean...........:blink: So that was not your PC keyboard that created the posted the material in #27 of this thread? My bad. Thanks for answering an honest and simple question as well. Your courteous responses are very much appreciated. God Bless.

Brian

Birchtree
03-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I came across a boarder the other day out in the hinterlands with the handle TSP Wiz - could just be a coincidence.

sugarandspice
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
EAFE says up %1.247 Should be nice!!!
Bout .15 cents?

mlk_man
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Currently the EFA is up and the dollar just turned sharply down. Should be another good day for the I fund, but if our markets remain flat, it could be time for one of those "fair valuation" days.

Gilligan
03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Am I missing something here? The MSCI says the EAFE is up 0.273 in USD on the 15th. So 18.89 plus 0.273 (.0515659) = $18.94 before fair value adjustment right? So did we get a 10 cent adjustment?

Wheels
03-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Am I missing something here? The MSCI says the EAFE is up 0.273 in USD on the 15th. So 18.89 plus 0.273 (.0515659) = $18.94 before fair value adjustment right? So did we get a 10 cent adjustment?

Exactly. We got a fair value adjustment yesterday. The I fund now "owes" roughly 10 cents. This only really matters to you if you got into or out of the I fund on the adjustment day or on the correction day.

Dave
<><

Gilligan
03-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks Wheels,
I thought I miss calculated the numbers.

sugarandspice
03-16-2006, 02:54 PM
EAFE says +.488 today. And the predictions are.........

Wheels
03-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Well if you "correct" yesterday's FV, we should be about even. Ahh but the dollar dropped some more today AFTER the EAFE closed so all bets are off.

Dave
<><

Soldat
03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
If they take the whole 10 cents today then we will finish down 1-2 cents.

Today MSCI took into factor all of the dollars losses from noon to noon from what I see. We see this from france finishing down .035 in local currency and up .962 in USD which are about what the dollar traded down to.

Of course, they may not take the whole 10 cents back and/or they could just revalue it again. We could finish down or up. No way to know *pulls out the magic 8-ball*

sugarandspice
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Today's I fund mystery payout is............Flatline........zero..... no up no down

Soldat
03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
We have some forward momentum due to the dollars losses in the afternoon thursday (today). So if tomorrow is green and the dollar slides we will see a few extra cents at least.

xb88
03-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Exactly. We got a fair value adjustment yesterday. The I fund now "owes" roughly 10 cents. This only really matters to you if you got into or out of the I fund on the adjustment day or on the correction day.

Dave
<><

I am new to I fund and not sure how do you calculate the returns based on the EFA market close price. On 15th, you and Gilligan calculated the I fund was up $0.0515659 based on EFA gained 0.273. I calculated it as following and ended up with $0.08:

On March 14, the I fund close price is $18.89, and EAFE is $63.95, so it should be: ($18.89 x $0.273)/$63.95 = $0.08

There are some other questions: what are the I fund adjustment day and correction day? How did the additional 10 cents add to the I fund on 15th? Could you please explain a little more? I get confused.

Thanks!

Spaf
03-17-2006, 11:08 PM
xb88,
Yep, ur missing something. On this thread go back to page 2, item # 13. tsptalk explains the quirk in the I-fund...Rgds...;) ...Spaf

Gilligan
03-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Spaf,
I'm still missing something. I am use to the TSP adjusting the I-fund 1 or 2 cents a day, but 10 cents in one day! How often do they adjust the return 10 cents or more a day? Also, when do they figure the Dollar vs. local currency exchange? Is is at the close of each international market or is it about 1500 ET when MSCI post the returns?

Spaf
03-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Gilligan,
I don't know the answer. I consider it a spookey fund with a double edge sord (pricing and $). My opinion using risk vs strength, if the I-fund has a strength ratio of 40, I'll go 50% of that. The reason I say this is because it's an international fund and when I compare it to other internationals i.e., [EWZ], there is sizable risk in EFA, considering that we are dealing with retirement accounts with a 1-2 day transfer. This is just my opinion, and I'm a bit conservative....Rgds, and be careful!....:) .....Spaf

Dave M
03-18-2006, 03:31 AM
Volatility is inherent in the I-fund. To me that means you have to give it time for the swings to play out -- jumping in and out is riskier here than anywhere else.

However, for this reason the I-fund correlates least well with our other funds, and this makes it the ideal candidate for diversification within one's portfolio. A portfolio of only G and only I is max-diverse.

So to me there are two parts to making money in the I-fund. One, you must have some; and two, you must hold it.

How much to have? How long to hold it? I can only speak for myself. The I-fund is (or soon will be ) my single largest holding. I intend to hold it indefinitely. Over the last two years it is up by around 40%. So a 2-year horizon is a good start.

Dave

Wheels
03-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Spaf,
I'm still missing something. I am use to the TSP adjusting the I-fund 1 or 2 cents a day, but 10 cents in one day! How often do they adjust the return 10 cents or more a day? Also, when do they figure the Dollar vs. local currency exchange? Is is at the close of each international market or is it about 1500 ET when MSCI post the returns?

Check out this post of mine from another thread

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showpost.php?p=37666&postcount=109

Dave
<><

Gilligan
03-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks Wheels,
I don't trust that EFA chart on the bottom of the page. I like to check Bloomberg to watch the international markets and currency rates. That morning before the adjustment Soldat and Myself were figuring the I-fund to be up about a half percent. My main concern is the amount of adjustment. Has there been an adjustment of 10 cents or greater in the history of the I-fund?

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showpost.php?p=39868&postcount=347
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showpost.php?p=39898&postcount=348

Soldat
03-18-2006, 10:43 AM
EFA has seemed to drift far from the actual MSCI EAFE lately, and has thus become an entirely separate entity.

First, its obvious that MSCI has to account the dollar-strength fluctuation up until the close of the European Markets. It is my belief that when all of the European markets are closed, the MSCI EAFE closes. Which makes perfect sense to me, MSCI is open when it's composite markets are open.

Second, there is no set limit to what TSPolice can or cannot adjust. It all depends on how large of a gain/loss the dollar makes after MSCI EAFE closes. On that particular day, the dollar fell ~.5% to the Y&E after EAFE close.

The reason why they want to adjust this data for that exact day is that traders will be using this data the next business day, knowing that they will have .5% gain/momentum on the I fund. And many more would sell that next day, thus watering down the gains for the buy/hold investors.

Anyways, thats just my take on it.

SkyPilot
03-18-2006, 01:32 PM
FROM THE TSP WEBSITE:

Barclays EAFE Index Fund — The Barclays fund holds common stocks of all the companies represented in the EAFE index in virtually the same weights that they have in the index. The return on the Barclays fund (and on the I Fund) will differ from that of the EAFE index on days when Barclays makes a "fair valuation" adjustment to reprice the securities held by the fund. Fair valuation adjustments are made on days when there are large movements in either U.S. equity markets or exchange rates after the foreign markets have closed. Fair valuation prevents traders from "market timing" by making investment decisions based on "stale" prices, thus diluting the re-turns of other TSP participants who invest in the I Fund.
The performance of the EAFE index fund is evaluated on the basis of how closely its returns match those of the EAFE index, without the effect of fair valuation. A portion of EAFE Index Fund assets is reserved to meet the needs of daily client activity. This liquidity reserve is invested in futures contracts on the local stock indexes of the countries in the EAFE index. These in-clude the United Kingdom’s FTSE 100, Germany’s DAX, France’s CAC 40, Australia’s ALL ORDS, Japan’s Nikkei 300, and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng.
The I Fund invests in the Barclays EAFE Index Fund by purchasing shares of the Barclays EAFE Index Fund "E," which in turn holds primarily shares of the Barclays EAFE Index Master Fund. As of December 31, 2004, I Fund holdings constituted $7.0 bil-lion of the EAFE Index Master Fund, which itself held $42.5 billion of securities.

Gilligan
03-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Thank you Soldat,
You gave the best answer so far.

It looks like the 15th of the month could be a correction day. March 15th they over paid 10 cents and on February 15 they underpaid 13 cents. Does anybody have data further back to support this theory?

Wheels
03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Second, there is no set limit to what TSPolice can or cannot adjust. It all depends on how large of a gain/loss the dollar makes after MSCI EAFE closes. On that particular day, the dollar fell ~.5% to the Y&E after EAFE close.

I've seen adjustments over 20 cents. And be careful, it's the TSP board that is making these adjustments, it's Barclays.

Dave
<><

Gilligan
03-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I've seen adjustments over 20 cents. And be careful, it's the TSP board that is making these adjustments, it's Barclays.

Dave
<><
Which one?

Wheels
03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Oops, sorry. It's NOT the TSP board, it IS Barclays.

Dave
<><

Gilligan
03-19-2006, 10:06 AM
When does Barclays take out their fee?

mlk_man
04-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Okay, who started the rush to the I fund today????? :nuts:

Don't ya'll be jinxing me! You know I'm scared being in it two days......

mailman636
04-14-2006, 08:16 AM
The 1000 biggest companys outside the USA.I got 40% in it.

mlk_man
04-19-2006, 08:59 AM
I still don't understand how the EFA can be down this morning with ALLLL the foreign markets being up sharply. The dollar isn't up THAT much this morning................http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mlk_man/Smileys%20Bubbles/ANGRY25112.gif

Wheels
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I still don't understand how the EFA can be down this morning with ALLLL the foreign markets being up sharply. The dollar isn't up THAT much this morning....

Mlk, you have got to stop using that EFA as any kind of daily indicator. It's worthless.

Dave
<><

mlk_man
04-19-2006, 01:36 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mlk_man/Smileys%20Bubbles/EMOT47111.gif

Soldat
04-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Yesterday the EFA posted 2.05% gain. We got .9% in the I fund. Today the EFA posts .69% gain. So, perhaps we will get 2.74% - .9% = 1.84 %

Sure, I will take 1.84% for right now. Lets let the Nikkei steam, FTSE will be up on oils tomorrow, and hey buddy, the dollar has room to fall.

Now that I think about it, I'll take another 1% tomorrow also.