PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Talk Shows

tsptalk
02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I watched the first part of the new Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and I am not overly impressed. I had never really seen his late night show. He seems like a very nice guy but maybe too nice to actually be funny?

I liked Jay Leno, loved Carson, but Fallon has something to prove to me. I think I'll watch Jimmy Kimmel who's very good and I think he's funnier than Leno or Letterman, although I will give Fallon a few shots to win me over.

What about you?

Handballer
02-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Late night is too late for me. I used to like Herb Shriner.

sniper
02-18-2014, 03:25 PM
i like the daily show / colbert report. don't know if that qualifies but eh :P

JTH
02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Tom, you're too old for Fallon, he's not in your generation, he's for the 30-something hipsters :toung:

Carson - The best ever

Letterman - Lots of memories watching him in the old days, now he comes off as a bitter old man

Leno - Never liked him, still don't, he comes off as a jerk.

O'brien - Should have replaced Lettermen

Kimmel - Decent, I liked him better on the Man Show, he's a bit too tame now

Fallon - Variety Show Act, talented, but he's more a jack of all trades and master of none...

The most exciting thing out of all this is to see Leno leave.

nasa1974
02-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Tom, you're too old for Fallon, he's not in your generation, he's for the 30-something hipsters :toung:

Carson - The best ever

Letterman - Lots of memories watching him in the old days, now he comes off as a bitter old man

Leno - Never liked him, still don't, he comes off as a jerk.

O'brien - Should have replaced Lettermen

Kimmel - Decent, I liked him better on the Man Show, he's a bit too tame now

Fallon - Variety Show Act, talented, but he's more a jack of all trades and master of none...

The most exciting thing out of all this is to see Leno leave.

I agree, Carson was the best. No one can or will replace him as hard as they try. How many people did Carson bring on his show and then asked them to sit on the couch next to him that became stars in their own right. Carson gave them a chance. What did these other guys do?

I remember Jack Parr. He actually set the tempo that Carson used and improved.

BichonFreeze
02-18-2014, 04:34 PM
i like the daily show / colbert report. don't know if that qualifies but eh :P

Daily Show would have been mine as well.

I also agree with JTH, Kimmel is not the same after abandoning the Man Show.

BichonFreeze
02-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Tom isn't too old for Fallon, I'm 26 and he's too bland for me. I didn't care for him on SNL either, but that's just my opinion.

Buster
02-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Carson rules...did you know he had high nervous willies everynight befor he went on stage for his monolog and was a recluse mostly...Besides, I can remember all the stars today who got their start on Carson...who did Leno bring to fame?

Letterman is okay, just too liberal

Leno was a bit dry for me, his jokes sucked IMO, they all came off the same way, but he did pulled off the show for 20 years so hey, he did his job...Love his car collection

Fallon..sorry Jimmy, but you're better at commercials with sh!t slinging babies than late night comedy...boooorrrringg

I remember Jack Parr too...his stuff was like watching Bill O'Rielly...Stuffy

userque
02-19-2014, 01:47 AM
I watched the first part of the new Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and I am not overly impressed. I had never really seen his late night show. He seems like a very nice guy but maybe too nice to actually be funny?

I liked Jay Leno, loved Carson, but Fallon has something to prove to me. I think I'll watch Jimmy Kimmel who's very good and I think he's funnier than Leno or Letterman, although I will give Fallon a few shots to win me over.

What about you?

Jimmy Kimmel...two thumbs up!

MrBowl
02-19-2014, 02:16 AM
My favorite was Late Night with David Letterman (NBC days). I thought he was very clever and creative then. I agree with other's assessments of him now. I don't know how that happened to him.

I've heard Carson described as the "biggest star in the history of television" and I think that's right. He was a far better interviewer than Letterman.

These days I watch Kimmel. I like his style and I think he is naturally funny, even when the cameras are off.

I think Leno proved that there was only one Carson. I don't watch Conan, Fallon, or Ferguson much but I think they are all ok.

The truth: these days I watch about 15 minutes of Kimmel then turn it to directv ch 357 and watch Squawk Box Europe. Lots of times it's idle chat but I still learn. Sometimes there are big things revealed, and more perspectives are always welcome.

nnuut
02-19-2014, 08:36 AM
I watched Fallon, he seemed to be in a Panic Mode!27237

TSP-roulette
03-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Just my humble opinion; Fallon ain't cutting it, never found him funny at all. The Late night Show is doomed. Just watch his monologues, they are waaaaaay too short and not funny. And his sidekick, making all those ridiculous sound effects for him. Lot of several SNL guests. His show is hot right now but eventually ratings will plummet. Just my opinion, there are many who do like Fallon but I think not enough. Oh well, I switched to Letterman.