PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer Risk Test

mlk_man
08-08-2005, 11:44 AM
The 411 on the 2/16 ratio

Q: I am concerned about my family's history of breast cancer and heard there is a test that could measure my own personal cancer risk based on my estrogen levels. Can you tell me what this test is all about?

JVW: According to research, 2-hydroxyestrogens are "good," while 16-hydroxyestrogens are "bad," and promote cancer growth. If you have more 16-hydroxyestrogens than 2-hydroxyestrogens, you have an increased risk of estrogen-related cancers like breast cancer, uterine cancer, etc.

A simple urine test called the 2/16 ratio can measure your levels of these estrogens.

If the results say your 2/16 ratio is off, you can improve it by eating three to four servings a week of Brassica vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, or Brussels sprouts. But, there's no need to go overboard. Excessive intake of these particular vegetables can suppress thyroid function or lead to goiter. Soy products or 1 tablespoon of freshly ground flaxseed daily can also boost your ratio.

It may take only one of these foods to raise your 2/16 ratio, but sometimes it takes two or three to see a difference.

In many cases, your ratio will improve on this diet in just four to six weeks. If you find you're still not where you should be, you may want to consider taking supplements of the 2/16-ratio-improving substance found in Brassica vegetables, di-indolymethane (DIM). Take 60 milligrams three times daily and then check your ratio in another four to six weeks.