PDA

View Full Version : New to TSP Talk

mriordan23
08-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Hey guys, new to TSP talk. I work for GSA and am 24 years old. Have been working for 2 years. My account is smaller but since I plan on investing the full 15% (they match 5% so 20% total), I understand the value I could eventually see if I stick around in the government. Couple questions.

Iwas a finance major, so most of this stuff is not foreign language to me, however.

Give me your best arguments on how timing the market within the TSP, with the at least half day lag time can work to your benefits. Because this seems to be what many are trying to do at this website. I obviously have interest in this matter or I wouldn't have found you guys in the first place.

Thanks beforehand.

Mike

08-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Half day lag and creative accounting is a treasure.

Can not wait for private accounts.

Welcome to the board.

:D

mriordan23
08-04-2005, 08:44 AM
What is the creative accounting?

Thanks,

Mike

08-04-2005, 08:52 AM
G fund pays .01 5-6-7 or 8th day. Like they spin a wheel to determine when the .01 is paid out. As you notice it has been longer and longer even thou rates have gone up greatly>

Index funds and not have b.s. readjustments whenever they see they can skim a ton of dough off people like they do with the I fund.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

08-04-2005, 08:54 AM
The actually lag is a day and a half BTW.

You have to determine by noon today what you guess where the market will be attomorrows close.

It is great. :^

Birchtree
08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Mr DMA is referencing the I fund - they play games so it is difficult to time the fund because of the different time zones of the various components.

You will learn quickly that it is going to be nearly impossible to pistol shoot when you only have limited funds in play. Ever try to hit a copper from a distance - hard to do even with dual Colts. There is no easy way to gain an increase in your account balance without doing time in grade - accumulate as much as you can and learn before you begin to earn. Once you have power in your account - that will take years to obtain - then you will be ready to trade multi-thousands of share positions and you can begin to make serious money. Until then you will only spin your wheels - but of course you are welcome to take your best shot. IMHO.

08-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Forget the time zones it is a index fund.

It should track the EAFE.

In their verbage they have the "we can readjust at any time clause".

I lost over 23K this year with the index being up and the I fund goes down because of a readjustment. Classic day was EAFE was up .864% - and the share price was down .02. (ouch)

I believe they look and see they can skim a butt ton off the sheeple and they do it that day.

:shock: I am a sheeple. I have been skimmed for one of the GM employee discount pieces of crap. :D

mriordan23
08-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Obviously I wont be watcing like a hawk when I only have 10K in there now instead of the 1million possibly in 30 years, but its still interesting to read your guys thoughts. How would you invest if you didn't have much and were just going to buy and hold?

Birchtree
08-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Mriordan23,

Every time I offer an opinion no body listens - but that doesn't stop me. We are soon to be going through some sector rotations out of the small-caps into large caps - this may actually take several years to fully transpire. I would suggest for an accumulation plan of 5-7 years you could buy 75% C fund and 25% I fund and keep your contribution allocations the same - you will have value and diversification. If in the future we head into another recession move your bulk money to G fund, but maintain your dollar cost averaging for lower prices and learn while you earn. And don't forget to have fun.

Dennis

08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Birchtree wrote:
Mriordan23,

Every time I offer an opinion no body listens - but that doesn't stop me. We are soon to be going through some sector rotations out of the small-caps into large caps - this may actually take several years to fully transpire. I would suggest for an accumulation plan of 5-7 years you could buy 75% C fund and 25% I fund and keep your contribution allocations the same - you will have value and diversification. If in the future we head into another recession move your bulk money to G fund, but maintain your dollar cost averaging for lower prices and learn while you earn. And don't forget to have fun.

Dennis

What is the market goes down over 50% again?
:P
We are all ready in a recession (look at them retailers today - 73% of this great economy). Hedious accounting has taken care of the numbers. Cheap credit because expensive credit. :^

08-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I concur with Birch. You will find lots of different readings and opinions here. That is good. Just educate yourself in this market and follow your own path

08-04-2005, 06:19 PM
We are all ready in a recession.

:) Those who do not follow their own advice...........

:shock:

08-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Birchtree wrote:
Mriordan23,
Every time I offer an opinion no body listens - but that doesn't stop me. We are soon to be going through some sector rotations out of the small-caps into large caps - this may actually take several years to fully transpire. I would suggest for an accumulation plan of 5-7 years you could buy 75% C fund and 25% I fund and keep your contribution allocations the same - you will have value and diversification. If in the future we head into another recession move your bulk money to G fund, but maintain your dollar cost averaging for lower prices and learn while you earn. And don't forget to have fun. Dennis

Everyone Pay Attention!
Birch is admitting the existence of the G Fund and the I Fund.
This is pure HERESY on Birch's part!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/W_W/Biblical/jesus_pharisees_talking_md_clr.gifhttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/W_W/Biblical/noahs_ark_rocking_md_clr.gif http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/W_W/Biblical/bushChrst.gif http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/W_W/Biblical/tower_of_babel_planning_md_clr.gif

08-04-2005, 06:48 PM
That pasture is where the idiots are at.

:DOnly a couple of folks parked in the G pasture - they would be called - CONTRARIANS.

08-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I am not sure how to take what DMA said about my post here but, I felt a little hostility was present. I gave my opinion, take it for what its worth. Just becaues we cannot agree does not show a need to be caustic. I only have one thing to say: