PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the funds!!

catak
02-03-2014, 02:03 PM
If I'm keeping track of the market, say through Yahoo Finance, how do I know which of the TSP funds are in the Dow, S&P etc.?

nasa1974
02-03-2014, 03:35 PM
If I'm keeping track of the market, say through Yahoo Finance, how do I know which of the TSP funds are in the Dow, S&P etc.?

catak, I use Yahoo Finance also and here are symbols I use to track the TSP funds;

"C" Fund ^DWCPF

"F" Fund AGG

"I" Fund EFA

"S" Fund ^GSPC

catak
02-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Sweet, bro! I think I did ok, 90% F, 5% S, and 5% I...can I add you to my friends list? Thanks.

FishSqueezer
02-03-2014, 03:54 PM
catak, I use Yahoo Finance also and here are symbols I use to track the TSP funds;

"C" Fund ^DWCPF

"F" Fund AGG

"I" Fund EFA

"S" Fund ^GSPC

I think you have the C and S funds swapped.

catak
02-03-2014, 03:59 PM
I found this:

"C" Fund VFINX

"F" Fund AGG

"I" Fund EFA

"S" Fund VEXMX

nasa1974
02-03-2014, 07:39 PM
I think you have the C and S funds swapped.

You are correct. I did swap the C & S funds

catak
02-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Now that I've read through the forum, it seems the S Fund tracks the Wilshire 4500. Man am I confused!!!!!!!!

felixthecat
02-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Now that I've read through the forum, it seems the S Fund tracks the Wilshire 4500. Man am I confused!!!!!!!!

Yep...S Funds tracks the Wilshire 4500.

ILoveTDs
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
W4500 ticker

Sports_Night
02-15-2014, 02:59 PM
I found this:

"C" Fund VFINX

"F" Fund AGG

"I" Fund EFA

"S" Fund VEXMX

Our issue is sometimes the actual return for the day between the EFA and the I can be plus or minus .5. We are looking for a closer tracking index if it exists.

tsptalk
02-15-2014, 04:51 PM
The EAFE quote on this page will give you a good idea, but it is not updated intraday - only after the markets close.

MSCI Index Performance - Standard (Large & Mid) - MSCI (http://www.msci.com/products/indices/size/standard/performance.html)

You have to click the "I agree" at the bottom of the page to view the quotes. Also, make sure the currency is set to US Dollars.

mdaje1
02-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Now I can track C,S,I on my phone. But the C fund VMISX is Vanguards 500 index fund. Aldo the VEXMX for the S fund is Vanguards extended markets fund.

tsptalk
02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Cool. Maybe this was explained already, but is there any reason why you'd use VMISX instead if SPY? But, whatever works is cool.

Sports_Night
02-18-2014, 07:26 PM
The EAFE quote on this page will give you a good idea, but it is not updated intraday - only after the markets close.

MSCI Index Performance - Standard (Large & Mid) - MSCI (http://www.msci.com/products/indices/size/standard/performance.html)

You have to click the "I agree" at the bottom of the page to view the quotes. Also, make sure the currency is set to US Dollars.

thks for tip but here is the data for Feb 18 as of 830pm EST. EAFE chg +.77. I fund +1.31 and EFA +.86 Still looking for something more accurate. Not close enough.

JTH
02-18-2014, 08:21 PM
thks for tip but here is the data for Feb 18 as of 830pm EST. EAFE chg +.77. I fund +1.31 and EFA +.86 Still looking for something more accurate. Not close enough.

If you read through the forums, you will find the answer you seek does not exist, the TSP funds seek to track the indexes but they do not mirror them. Over longer periods of time they track together more closely, but in the short-term there are swings which can make it difficult to estimate prices.

"The return on the BlackRock Fund (and on the I Fund) will differ from that of the EAFE Index on days when BlackRock makes a “fair valuation” adjustment to reprice the securities held by the fund. Fair valuation adjustments are made on days when there are large movements in either U.S. equity markets or currency exchange rates after the foreign markets have closed. Fair valuation prevents traders from exploiting “stale” prices, thus diluting the returns of other TSP participants who invest in (https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/IFund.pdf)the I Fund." (https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/IFund.pdf)

not_too_shabby
02-18-2014, 08:49 PM
What are some scenarios where FV comes into play? One seems to be if the US markets (or the USD) tank(s) in the afternoon then a +FV would be added to the I-fund then subtracted the next day. If US markets were to rise late in the day how could one profit with the I-fund if not already holding a position? Given the limitations within TSP it seems dubious at best to be able regularly exploit I-fund pricing. More often than not fair valuation is a detriment to a TSPer who is seeking to maximize returns.