PDA

View Full Version : NFL... No more extra points?

tsptalk
01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
NFL reportedly considering proposal to eliminate extra points | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/01/21/nfl-considering-proposal-to-eliminate-extra-points/)

Frixxxx
01-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Sounds interesting, but it does take a strategic aspect of the game out of the mix....HOWEVER, what about a distance line for point variation for touchdown plays....
0-20 yards out - 7 points
>20-35 yards out - 8 points
35+ yards out - 9 points

tsptalk
01-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Interesting... or field goal distance?

By the way, it sounds like there would be strategy involved. You would get 7 for a TD. If you go for a conversion play and make it, they add 1 to 8-points. If you miss they subtract 1 to 6-points. But 7 is the default if you waive the attempt.

It's not a bad idea. I find myself fast forwarding thru the extra point, thru the commercials, and even thru the kickoff, which 80% of the time is a touch back these days.

jb0441
01-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Speaking of touchbacks, I would like it if they gave you the 20 yard line no matter what. So if you take the ball out of the end zone, and get tackled before the 20, the ball automatically gets put there regardless. Fumbles obviously are still a risk, but if the ball is caught in the end zone, you really got nothing to lose and makes it interesting again.

k0nkuzh0n
01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Speaking of touchbacks, I would like it if they gave you the 20 yard line no matter what. So if you take the ball out of the end zone, and get tackled before the 20, the ball automatically gets put there regardless. Fumbles obviously are still a risk, but if the ball is caught in the end zone, you really got nothing to lose and makes it interesting again.

I don't think the league wants players taking the ball out of the endzone. I think they would do away with kickoffs all together and just start at the 20 before that did what you suggest.. Even though as a fan, I like your idea a lot, at least now that they've moved the kickoff up.

Frixxxx
01-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Why would NFL have "Foot" in its name if they try to take out as much kicking as possible?
Wow, enough logic in that statement to stop the vote!