PDA

View Full Version : TSP Survey

SeaPea
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Completed a TSP Survey yesterday with ~10 questions.

Among them was a question about whether you would like the ability to have more than the two IFT limit per month.

That question was followed by would you be will to pay for the ability to do that and how much (choice of varying amounts topping out a $200 annually).

Tried to go back and find it today and can't seem to find it.

Can anyone locate that survey again?

Wondering what the general consensus is: good, bad or ugly?

SeaPea
12-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Did come across this:

TSP wants feedback on possible mutual fund option -- FederalDaily.com (http://federaldaily.com/articles/2013/12/11/tsp-wants-feedback-on-possible-mutual-fund-option.aspx?s=FD_121213)

czapor1967
12-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I think it should be set to one per week, minimum! :D

tsptalk
12-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Interesting. This story I found on Google to FedSmith.com's article on the survey was taken down...

TSP Begins Conducting User Feedback Surveys (http://www.fedsmith.com/2013/12/11/tsp-begins-conducting-user-feedback-surveys/)
FedSmith.com ‎- 1 day ago
The Thrift Savings Plan has announced that it will begin conducting short user feedback surveys from plan participants.

http://www.fedsmith.com/2013/12/11/tsp-begins-conducting-user-feedback-surveys/

jkenjohnson
12-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Interesting. This story I found on Google to FedSmith.com's article on the survey was taken down...

http://www.fedsmith.com/2013/12/11/tsp-begins-conducting-user-feedback-surveys/

I get an error when I click on this link.

Frixxxx
12-13-2013, 07:19 AM
I get an error when I click on this link.
That's what Tom was saying....they took it down...:notrust:

SeaPea
12-13-2013, 07:32 AM
So what's the sentiment about paying a little extra to have more options? I think it is a reasonable compromise.

The Fed Daily article link still works but is very brief.

CrabClaw
12-13-2013, 07:39 AM
So what's the sentiment about paying a little extra to have more options? I think it is a reasonable compromise.

Im guessing that most people who are on here would want it. I would like to see it but if I had to pick I would rather see the 2 trades per month thing increased to 4-5.

SeaPea
12-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Survey is back up again.

https://www.tsp.gov/whatsnew/plan/planNews.shtml#survey

Let me know if this works.

Boghie
12-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Survey is back up again.

https://www.tsp.gov/whatsnew/plan/planNews.shtml#survey

Let me know if this works.

It seemed to be a new survey, but very important. Talking about opening up a 'Self-Directed' investment option in TSP. That is, not locking us into the existing G/F/C/S/I/L funds. Thus, you could invest in REITS, Gold, Soiled Bed Sheets, whatever. Maybe some actively managed funds or true BRIC style ETFs. Would be a very nice option in my opinion...

SeaPea
12-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Need to get the word out. A mention in the commentaries with the link would probably help to generate more survey takers.

Frixxxx
12-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Need to get the word out. A mention in the commentaries with the link would probably help to generate more survey takers.
Hopefully,

But with over 4 million accounts, of which FRTIB reports over 50% in G Fund, I know it will be seen by a few.

tsptalk
12-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Nothing about IFT limits / paying for extra transfers, unfortunately.

SeaPea
12-13-2013, 10:06 AM
My mind fails me at times (more the older I get) but when I took this the other day I could have sworn there were questions about IFT limits.

SeaPea
12-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Talked to a customer service rep at TSP about the survey. She said she did not recall IFT transfers in the survey but recommended sending faxes to TSP at 1-866-817-5023 urging them to add more flexibility to the IFT in addition to the mutual fund window. I think the compromise a fee (hopefully) small for service in exchange for flexibiltiy in mutuals as well possibly IFT would be a turning point in givning customers more options. Some folks may want just more IFT limits. Other may want the MF window. Others may want a mix. Offering and accepting a modest fee is the key to making this happen.

So send those faxes now! We need to be heard!

Frixxxx
12-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Talked to a customer service rep at TSP about the survey. She said she did not recall IFT transfers in the survey but recommended sending faxes to TSP at 1-866-817-5023 urging them to add more flexibility to the IFT in addition to the mutual fund window. I think the compromise a fee (hopefully) small for service in exchange for flexibiltiy in mutuals as well possibly IFT would be a turning point in givning customers more options. Some folks may want just more IFT limits. Other may want the MF window. Others may want a mix. Offering and accepting a modest fee is the key to making this happen.

So send those faxes now! We need to be heard!

Thanks for the enthusiasm.....Unfortunately, I feel this is a dead horse until the board actaully adds a participant member. I have gone through the good times making 40% in a year that I could move MY money when MY decision was to do so. I will fax them, but until we are represented at the board, I feel it is a lost cause. If the open up the self-directed investment, I would love to see the terms. There will be SOOOOO much paperwork and lawsuits that will complicate the way it is ran, and may spill over into the costs of the indexed funds. Then I have to listen again as to why a subset of investors cost the entire program extra fees.

From one of the 3000......

SeaPea
12-13-2013, 01:04 PM
:):):)

Nordic
12-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Just finished the survey, only took a few minutes to complete. Unfortunately, no mention of increasing the IFT limits :notrust:

PessOptimist
12-22-2013, 02:19 PM
The link to the survey is gone from the TSP.gov site.

There are some trying to get the word out, expressing an opinion at the same time. I received this at work on Dec 17th.

All:
The TSP is presently surveying members for the potential to add mutual funds to the portfolio as an investment option.
The addition of a mutual fund option would likely INCREASE the basic fees charged to our accounts in addition to the annual fee required to use the mutual fund. The complexity and additional staff support required to even offer this as a fund option could increase the costs of managing the TSP as a whole. Unfortunately, the survey does not provide enough detail to determine the financial impact to the non-mutual fund investor. The existing TSP investment funds already provide the diversity to choose conservative or higher risk investments. Please visit the TSP website today, take the survey, and oppose the mutual fund addition to the TSP portfolio to ensure they maintain the low cost investing vehicle that the TSP is today.
To take the survey:
Visit the www.tsp.gov (http://www.tsp.gov/) website; on the home page in bottom right corner, click on the link in the bulletin board:

Followed by this from the HR folks:

All, If you decide to participate in the TSP survey mentioned below, please complete it based on what you would like to see.
Our agency does not have an official position on the subject and the advice provided by <name deleted> is his own opinion and is not to be considered official advice provided by our agency.
Thank you,
Human Resources Advisor

Handballer
12-23-2013, 01:20 AM
I think 2 IFTs per month is all we need. More only increases our chance to under performing in out accounts. Most members are doing very well with only two transfers. Even me!

Frixxxx
12-23-2013, 03:45 AM
I think 2 IFTs per month is all we need. More only increases our chance to under performing in out accounts. Most members are doing very well with only two transfers. Even me!
Only in high yield years. We used to enjoy a wonderful day where when we could see things being volatile, we could maneuver quite well.

So in years where the market is overall down, we could still grab the good trades when we had more than two trades per month.

Cactus
12-23-2013, 09:52 AM
I think 2 IFTs per month is all we need. More only increases our chance to under performing in out accounts. Most members are doing very well with only two transfers. Even me!That wouldn't be so bad if they didn't count a Flight-To-Safety, G Fund, as one of the IFTs. Only having 2 IFTs really does affect my decision on whether to stay or bail, whether to get in before the start of the next month, whether to use an IFT early in the month or save it for later. All that has influenced my decision and usually not for the better. Having 3 IFTs would totally change the picture for me.

JTH
12-23-2013, 10:08 AM
The fact is it's my money, I should be able to manage it based on my level of risk acceptance, not the govenments. The government has already proven they can't manage their own money, why should I let them manage mine? It amazes me how folks in this forum think this IFT limit is acceptable, more governement, more rules, more limitations, less options, yea that sounds great...:cool:

TSP-roulette
12-23-2013, 12:53 PM
They might even be content with one IFT\month; or let's revert back to the two Fund system, the "G" and the "C" funds, just like in the old days when FERS was implemented. Hell, all we had was the "G" fund to begin with. If they have it their way they'll screw us somehow, someway, sometime. Troublesome because they can.

Cactus
12-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Yes, and now they are complaining we don't have enough in that G Fund. I can see them taking all that out of our hands by not allowing us to choose amoung the individual funds at all. You know they could do that by only letting us choose between the various L Funds like some 401K plans do.

99percent
12-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Where's the don't like button?