PDA

View Full Version : How goes it from AP

Mr. Duke
05-09-2004, 08:18 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Higher prices for everything from gas and groceries to industrial commodities and labor have translated into a gigantic ``sell'' signal for Wall Street, and left little doubt that inflation is on its way back.

With the Federal Reserve contemplating when, and how much, to raise interest rates, inflation is an increasingly worrisome factor for stock investors. But analysts say a modest rise in inflation is a necessary part of the economic recovery, and not necessarily something to fear.

``A couple percentage points of inflation is not that big a deal. It just shows the economy is growing,'' said Mitch Zacks, director of research at Zacks Investment Research in Chicago. ``Generally, as the economy grows, prices start to rise. ... It's times of hyper-inflation when things break down.''

It was only a few months ago that the Fed was concerned about deflation, which happens when prices fall too quickly. The core inflation rate now hovers between 1 percent and 2 percent, and is likely to rise further as the Fed tightens rates, perhaps as early as this summer. Economists say this kind of inflation is a healthy side effect of growth, and far different from the damaging pricing pressures of the 1970s and '80s, when inflation was measured in double digits, and mortgage rates were as high as 15 percent.

``The market loves inflation of about 2 to 3 percent,'' said Alfred E. Goldman, chief market strategist with A.G. Edwards & Sons Inc. in St. Louis. ``It means the economy is growing, and corporate America can raise the price of its products, and earnings can rise.''

But Goldman is part of a contrarian market segment that has questioned whether the Fed is actually doing enough to stop more dramatic inflation before it starts. When inflation gets above 5 percent, it tends to be more unsettling to markets, and more difficult for policy makers to control.

The market, which seesawed after the Fed said it would take a ``measured'' approach to lifting rates from their current 46-year lows, might have responded more positively to a stronger statement, Goldman said. A promise of ``vigilance'' on the inflation front might have been more reassuring to investors - even though that further raises the prospects for higher rates, he said.

``The Fed has one main responsibility, and that is to control inflation. It is a killer for everybody,'' Goldman said. ``If you wait until the evidence is right in your face, it's too late. That's why it's the job of the Fed to start tapping on the brakes sooner rather than later. It's preventive medicine. And that's what a modest rate hike would be.''

After 10 quarters of steady corporate growth, and with almost a million jobs created since October, most analysts agree the economy is doing fine. But inflationary pressures have put many on their guard.

Oil topped $40 a barrel on Friday, its highest level since 1990, and prices are rising for other commodities, as well, including copper, tin, steel and lumber. The Institute for Supply Management's monthly survey of purchasing managers showed many are seeing higher prices in the goods they buy. The ISM's purchasing manager's index hit 88 in April, its highest reading since November 1979.

Pricing pressure is reflected in other measures as well. The Labor Department found employment costs rose 1.1 percent in the first quarter, and benefit expenses soared 2.4 percent, the fastest pace in two decades.

Data collected by the Labor Department in March showed prices rising across a broad range of sectors, including energy, food, travel and lodging, medical care and tuition. There's no doubt investors will be closely watching the government's next reading of the Consumer Price Index, due next Friday.

If rates were the only concern, the current situation might not seem so gloomy to investors. But there are a multitude of other factors contributing to the market's unease, including uncertainty over the situation in Iraq, concerns about global events, the potential for terrorist threats and the upcoming presidential race.

``Let's face it, this is a market, an economy, that is coming from out of the cellar. We're just starting to emerge ... and there are still a lot of unknowns,'' said Chris Johnson, manager of quantitative analysis at Schaeffer's Investment Research in Cincinnati.

Inflationary pressures and the prospect of higher rates send a message, Johnson said, which some investors have interpreted as a warning: The bad old days might not be so far behind us.

For the week, the Dow Jones industrials lost 108.23, or 1.1 percent, closing at 10,117.34.

The Nasdaq composite index fell 2.19, or 0.1 percent, during the week, to finish at 1,917.96. The Standard & Poor's 500 lost 8.60, or 0.8 percent, for a weekly close of 1,098.70.

The Russell 2000 index, which tracks smaller company stocks, fell 11.24, or 2 percent, to end the week at 548.56.

And the Wilshire 5000 Total Market Index, which tracks more than 5,000 U.S.-based companies, ended the week at 10,686.04 off 107.62 points from the previous week. A year ago the index was 8,883.34.

05/08/04 21:28 EDT

Mr. Duke
05-09-2004, 08:30 PM
International report

LONDON, May 7 (Reuters) - Here is how major stock markets outside the United States ended on Friday.

LONDON - Britain's leading share index closed above a three-week low, depressed by concerns strong U.S. economic data meant a quick rate hike was on the cards, though water firms rose after they curtailed their spending plans. The FTSE 100 closed at 4,498.4 points, down 17.8 or 0.39 percent, 8.7 points higher on the week.

EUROPE - European shares closed mixed as investors bet that U.S. interest rates will rise next month, after American job creation continued to surge and oil prices at 13-year highs underscored the threat of inflation.

The market's tone was defensive, with healthcare, food and beverage groups and utilities all ending higher as investors sought a cushion from higher borrowing costs, although technology shares also performed well.

Standouts included French oil group Total, which reported a smaller-than-expected fall in first-quarter profit and confirmed its interest in buying a stake in Russian peer Sibneft.

FRANKFURT - The DAX index ended at 3,895.64 points, down 13.82 or 0.35 percent, down 89.57 points from last Friday.

PARIS - The CAC-40 index closed at 3,653.18 points, down 1.96 or 0.05 percent, a drop of 21.1 points from seven days ago.

ZURICH - The Swiss market index closed at 5,827.7 points, down 4.7 or 0.08 percent, falling 53.3 points since last week.

MILAN - The All Share Mibtel index closed at 20,740 points, down 32 or 0.15 percent, a loss of 270 points since April 30.

TOKYO - Stocks fell for a fifth straight session, with the Nikkei average marking a six-week closing low as investors worried about the prospect of higher U.S. interest rates. The Nikkei fell 132.52 or 1.15 percent to 11,438.82 -- the lowest close since March 24 and a fall on the week of 322.97.

HONG KONG - The Hang Seng Indes fell to its lowest close since November 2003, but rising global oil prices lent support to energy stocks such as Chinese oil major PetroChina. The blue chip Hang Seng Index dropped 0.83 percent, or 99.55 points lower, to 11,910.76, its lowest close since November 24 and a loss on the week of 32.2 points.

SYDNEY - Stocks ended marginally lower after a late rebound in News Corp shares and strength in National Australia Bank failed to offset weakness in the broader market. The benchmark S&P/ASX 200 index shed 6.3 points or 0.18 percent to 3,393.2. The stock market gauge is down 7.6 points for the week.

JOHANNESBURG - South African mining stocks were hammered as gold prices tumbled, but other stocks such as conglomerate Barloworld, due to post healthy results next week, shot to multi-year peaks.

JOHANNESBURG - The All-share index closed at 10,407.9 points, down 5.6 or 0.05 percent. The index gained 22.1 points over the week. The All Gold index closed at 1,834.87 points, down 62.38 or 3.29 percent, a fall of 13.65 points since last Friday, while the Industrial index closed at 7,419.68 points, up 14.73 or 0.20 percent, up a mere 0.59 points on the week.

05/07/04 13:03 ET

Greenspud !!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST DO THE RATE HIKE AND GET IT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

puertorico
05-10-2004, 10:12 AM
so,what in the menu for tuesday ?:shock:

smine
05-10-2004, 10:15 AM
PR, did you see the charts for today? Just when it dropped in the toilet it's going even lower Monday!!!!:(:v:( May as well stay where we are now. Seems like if we bailed it leaves us down and out even more???

tsptalk
05-10-2004, 10:27 AM
What scares me the most is that I'm not too worried. It must beshock. Ikeep expecting to look at the quotes and seeing a rebound started. It just hasn't happened yet.

Things (economically) are just not that bad. This is the blow off selling that I would have like to have missed but it's too late to get out for me. I have to ride it out at this point.

If you are out already you may want to nibble with 25% or 30%, or even more if we see evidence ofsome buying before the noon deadline.

Good luck out there.
Tom

puertorico
05-10-2004, 10:28 AM
It's the bottom yet ?

I'm desperate to get any rebound ]a least a penny]

smine -u are right thestock is getting hammered ugly & nasty.:?

puertorico
05-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Tom

I'm looking forward for a come-back

possible on wednesday,looking-for a rebount,

little rally.

not shure yet.

:shock:scare:shock:fear:shock:

tsptalk
05-10-2004, 11:29 AM
EAFE (I fund) is down over 3% so far today :shock:

TSP-roulette
05-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Tom, We are getting a real beating, I hoped for positive numbers today, after last week's beating there was no way but up, so I thought. Are these trends beginnin to look like 2001-02's?, I hope not. Anyone jumping ship to "G"? :v

thinks
05-10-2004, 12:22 PM
I agree, I think I'm shocked too each time I look.

I was in the I fund on Thursday then put in on Th. to get out. I'm still in the S, C, G and hoping to make a move soon.

05-10-2004, 12:28 PM
I took an additional 15% position in equities this morning. Increase 5% in C/S/and I. Trying to do a little dollar cost averaging since a buying opportunity. Just hope market bottoms soon. Otherwise, I will continue to increase my position another 15% tomorrow if situation warrants--market on a down swing.

Mr. Duke
05-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Checked EAFE site.... to the best of my figuring the" I" lost 49 cents today.....

I am staying 100% G............not looking to catch an up day.... Until rate hikes occur or some major positive news I feel we will continue to have more (many more) bad days as opposed to good days....Odds of hitting a good day and getting back out before getting slammed again will be slim.... Reminds me of the bubble burst....don't want to get out because of tax liabilities on gains (not a factor with TSP) and waiting for things to recover a little to get back some money.....If I were in (equities) I believe I would stay put and just quit lookingat the market. Truely feel for the ones that are hooked currently....It will recover though....question is .....if you preserve some capital now youcould end up buying more shares later..... Decisions... Decisions.

:( I will update charts when I get home.....

tsptalk
05-10-2004, 07:19 PM
TSP-roulette wrote:
Tom, We are getting a real beating, I hoped for positive numbers today, after last week's beating there was no way but up, so I thought. Are these trends beginnin to look like 2001-02's?, I hope not. Anyone jumping ship to "G"? :v
Sorry, I had PC andinternet connection problems all day.

I didn't do anything today. Still taking a beating. :X

thinks
05-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Mr.Duke, were you 100% I fund before you moved then? Just wondering.... it hadbeen doing well then end of last week really changed. Are you thinking of going back to 100% I? I had some in I last week then moved out now watching....

Tom, hope your pc is moving better now.... I'm taking seeing you asa good sign... pc problems and/or ISP problems are no fun but sometimes allows for more stuff around the home/office to be accomplished but then gets one behind on stuff that one relys so much on for the pc. Lol. Did ya miss us? ;)

I've been itching to make interfund change but maybe I should continue to hold off.... I'm so new at this that it really has shocked me the last few days. Peeking at my tsp online to see money lost isn't fun compared to seeing gains.

I wonder what Mr.Green. is thinking now and if he's making $$?

ChuckBecker
05-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Whew! Who knows? Could be a big rally coming up, with the way the market is nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm looking to get back into equities, but I'm only a couple of years away from retiring, and what I'm thinking is...

It looks to me like there's way more exposure on the downside than opportunity on the upside.

Upside: recovering economy, tame inflation and low interest rates (for now), nothing completely out of control in world events.

Downside: almost certain interest rate increases. stocks still pricey by historic standards.and world events loom.

But I do feel like a dolt, leaving funds in G just 'cause I can't make up my mind. Maybe I should dollar-cost average back into the market (put 5% in every day the market is down at the deadline). Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Chuck

tsptalk
05-10-2004, 10:32 PM
But I do feel like a dolt, leaving funds in G just 'cause I can't make up my mind. Maybe I should dollar-cost average back into the market (put 5% in every day the market is down at the deadline). Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Chuck -
Dollar cost averaging sounds good. If you only do it on down days that could take a couple of months to get you fully invested. Not a bad idea but youdo risk missing a strong rebound if we get several big days in a row.You might consider 5% a day/every other day, regardless of result.

With only a couple of years left, what percentage do you eventually plan to put into stocks when you are done moving?

Tom

tsptalk
05-10-2004, 10:35 PM
thinks wrote:
I wonder what Mr.Green. is thinking now and if he's making $$?

He doesn't own stocks from what I understand. I'm not sure if it's because he's not allowed to (makes sense) or if he chooses not to.

puertorico
05-10-2004, 11:00 PM
G-fund paid a penny ahead of time today.

Said ahead of time because whenG get a penny

stock get a least a dime.Not this time but the bets

for tomorrow are good for stock. hope so.;)

unless the bottom has a hole:?

Mr. Duke
05-11-2004, 05:54 AM
I was 100% "I" from April 30th thru 6 May (I put in to get out at 0550 Thursday ) ... acct balance appears that I was out on Friday ....Took a major hit of -1.84% on Thursday but still up for the month at .49..... Currently G now.....

Futures are looking good so far this Tuesday am....hope it pans out for everyone.. thought has crossed my mind to jump back in to the S ..... If the market has another bad day today I will try to find a computer and attempt to get in the market for a couple of day swing

Pete1
05-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Tom's comments this morning portend good things (hopefully). I'm starting to believe that the "good"willonly happenafter Greenspanbegins the interest rate increases. The numbers that Tom points to look very good but investors seem to be having an irrational reaction to rising interest rates. PleaseGreenspan,get your butt in gear.

puertorico
05-11-2004, 10:10 AM
what the move ?how is the territory ?

somebody tasting water ?

:^go in:?stay out:v:?go in:shock:stay out:?...

What's the move ....:)

TOM,U gonna stay put on wednesday

tsptalk
05-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Pete1 wrote:
The numbers that Tom points to look very good but investors seem to be having an irrational reaction to rising interest rates.

I think we just got to a point where anyone who was looking to get out did, and anyone who was in and was not planning on getting out (like me) were set. The last sentiment survey Isaw, although not one I usually follow, showed bearish sentiment at 58% while only 20% were bullish. These were Sunday's numbers so they were probably worse after Monday.So we just ran out of sellers for the short term.

Sellers may come back after a rally however. Like I said in another post, we have to watch the volume and see if buyers follow through later today and tomorrow.

Tom

tsptalk
05-11-2004, 10:42 AM
TOM, U gonna stay put on wednesday
Going 50% I fund. (20% C, 30% S).

ChuckBecker
05-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey Tom,

I'd like to be 100% in equities (C and maybe S) as long as we're not riding a bubble. I'm an old-time CSRS employee, so I'm in a little different boat from FERS folks.

But I'm not saying we're on a bubble anything like late '99 right now. I'm just seeingsome short term downside risk. So now that I've thoroughly contradicted myself, I'll close this before I say anything else foolish :)

Chuck