PDA

View Full Version : ACA: Anyone checking this health insurance open season?

Steel_Magnolia
11-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Hi gang! Don't want to debate the pros and cons of Obamacare. Since it is health care open season, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get on the site to see if the ACA has policies that can beat your current health care in either cost or benefits. Anyone? TIA!

Maggie

tsptalk
11-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi Steel! Nice to see you again. Hope all is well.

Reminder folks, this thread is not about politics but, insurance. If you want to talk about the political side of the issue, please go here... http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/politics/12668-%2A-obamacare.html

Thanks!

burrocrat
11-10-2013, 04:43 PM
aca coverage is only available for those who do not have insurance available partially paid through an employer. fed employees may not discontinue fehb unless they can prove they are covered under another relative's employer sponsored plan. please do not clog the exchange's dialup 1990's earthlink connection just to see how much you could save if you were not covered by an employer or retiree plan. there are others who need the access pipeline for medical or economic reasons, not curiosity.

PessOptimist
11-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Hi gang! Don't want to debate the pros and cons of Obamacare. Since it is health care open season, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get on the site to see if the ACA has policies that can beat your current health care in either cost or benefits. Anyone? TIA!

Maggie

aca coverage is only available for those who do not have insurance available partially paid through an employer. fed employees may not discontinue fehb unless they can prove they are covered under another relative's employer sponsored plan. please do not clog the exchange's dialup 1990's earthlink connection just to see how much you could save if you were not covered by an employer or retiree plan. there are others who need the access pipeline for medical or economic reasons, not curiosity.

I mostly agree with our Equidae friend but am not sure you would be ineligible. There is more info at the below link.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i-have-job-based-health-insurance/

The bottom line seems to be that you would lose the 60 whatever % paid toward FEHB by your employer plus have to meet the 9.5% rule to qualify for lower premiums.

A quick check for myself shows a 3-400% increase. Of course as burro stated, this program is designed for those who do not have insurance available partially paid through an employer.

I say go for it and let us know what happens.

PO

PessOptimist
11-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Apparently I waited too long to be able to edit the previous post. You are a retired fed right? That may make a difference. I still say go for it and let us know.

PO

burrocrat
11-10-2013, 08:09 PM
did you just call me an odd-toed ungulate?

PessOptimist
11-10-2013, 08:29 PM
No, no, man. Just an περισσός, perissós. I feel for you having to get those custom made shoes.

PO

burrocrat
11-10-2013, 08:48 PM
it's ok man, i offset the expenditure by saving on underwear.

burrocrat
11-10-2013, 09:07 PM
all joking aside, it would be nice if everybody had everything. it would be even nicer if everybody got everything for free. unfortunately, somebody has to pay for everything. now we all can decide how to spend our own money, but if you've ever been charged with stewarding the taxpayer's money then i'm not sure the affordable care act is at all affordable. that is simple economics, not politics.

nnuut
11-10-2013, 09:26 PM
If you are a retired government employee and have FEHB then when you hit 65 you will basically be forced into Medicare, You may still keep your FEHB which includes Prescription Drugs, so you won't have to enroll in part "D" for Prescription drugs. FEHB will pay what Medicare doesn't pay [Part "B" pays only 80%] it works like Medicare Advantage plans. You are not eligible for the ACA when you Become 65.
Depending on your age the ACA has a more expensive Premiums larger coinsurance and deductibless than Medicare and FEHB plans.
I checked it out for the wife and I and lied about my age with me at 63 and the wife a 60 with an income of $62,000, with the ACA we would get no subsidies and our yearly premium would be $17,750 a year, in addition if we are smokers they would charge an additional 20% to 50%. WHAT A RIPOFF!:nuts: