PDA

View Full Version : Brand new!

Scott_H
10-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Greetings all, so far love the forums, a lot of great information I am reading. I have been investing in the TSP for about 2.5 years now (23 yrs old). Never really knew all the details about all the funds much, I am looking to learning the strategies now. I knew enough though to get it out of the G fund, so as over about 1.5 years ago I have been 100% L2050. Current 12 months performance is at 20%, not too bad, I think anyways? Lol. Well just wanted to introduce myself, I look forward to learning a lot. Also, quick question, if you were in my situation (young and kinda just starting out) what would you do? I see a lot of people 100% in the S fund but IDK if that's a smart move for me now with numbers being so high.

Scout333
10-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Welcome Scott! Lots of smart folks here. Read and learn! You're already ahead of the game by investing early in your career! Just stay invested through the difficult times and you'll be fine!

nnuut
10-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum Scott H!
Best of luck with your investments.:D
Norman

PessOptimist
10-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Welcome.

Glad to hear that you didn't leave the whole balance in G. So many young people I know have done just that. L2050 isn't a bad place to have started over the past 1.5 years. You probably know this but L2050 gives you the following allocations between the funds. As of 1 Jan 13. They are supposed to adjust it each quarter.

G 4%
F 8%
C 43%
S 19%
I 16%

You do have a lot in stocks (C,S,I) just not all in S.

No one except you can make the decision to move money between the funds.

The S fund price is high right now but moving to it dosn't change your account balance. Until the next day.

One thing about having it all in one fund, when that fund has a good day your balance has a good day and you feel good. When that fund has a bad day (it does sometimes, even this year) your balance is impacted much more and it can make you feel bad.

Happy investing.

PO

Scott_H
10-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the input everyone, I appreciate it and look forward to reading more on the forum.

nnuut
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
If you are not on the FREE Auto Tracker it's a good idea to try it out then we can see how you are doing!:cool:

tsptalk
10-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Welcome Scott! Thanks for joining us.

uscfanhawaii
10-28-2013, 10:41 PM
welcome Scott, and congrats to going with L2050!
As I have said on previous new threads where they have asked for advice.....I did real well by going 33/33/33 on CSI in my early years, putting away the same amt every payday in a Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA) plan. Still do to some degree, but the dollar cost averaging gets swamped by market movement after you get a good balance going.
Most of the people on the Autotracker (you can join for free) do NOT use the L funds because they would rather control what funds they are in .....and who needs F or G anyway, when just starting out? But 2050 is the best of the L's for someone just starting out, for sure! :cool:

Scott_H
11-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your input! I have been reading the different topics and stuff trying to get as much information as I can... but is there like a "newbie" thread somewhere I can read? I couldn't find one. A lot of the topics on here I do not fully understand and I cant find an exact thread topic area for me to post my questions because I feel like it wouldn't go with that section of the forum. I am just looking for like a TSP 101 kind of thread that fully breaks everything down with maybe scenarios, etc. Is there one that I am just missing?

tsptalk
11-01-2013, 05:24 PM
The "Questions" Forum would be a good place for that... Questions (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/questions/)

You can create a new thread for your question in that forum.

There are also sub-forums within there for more specific type questions. "What is..." and "Ask Tom". "Ask Tom" is probably more for website related questions. TSP related questions are for anyone who can answer.

Scott_H
11-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Okay great, thank you!

DreamboatAnnie
11-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Welcome Scott! That's so great that you are investing in your retirement, that your doing it while so young, and especially that you are interested in taking care of it. 80+ in market is great! Lots of different investment strategies to read about. The more you read the better. Investopedia is a good site. Put in as much as you can..increasing percentage of pay is least painful at start of year when we get Cost of Living increases...when we get them. So I maxed it out over a few years Back when COLAS were 2-4% per year. Think we get a little one in January. S and C Are best funds for long term growth, but your investment strategy will affect your returns.

As you see, some buy and hold forever no matter what market is doing ( my strategy for a million years) but the massive market drop in 2008 woke me up (38%) decrease so now trying go learn to time market and very active... But I have a feeling I will be looking for a middle ground. I keep in mind that while 2008 was bad, overall looking at my returns I still did good...but sure would be better to avoid. Sounds like your doing great! Good luck to you!